• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 Kenya

Good morning pals,
My DV got denied :confused::confused::confused:
Due to the other family based petition going on, the Embassy says they concluded we are customarily married (which we are not), and i should have added my husband in the original entry.
I know some of you might not understand, but try and do please.
Wishing you all well as we await your all approvals.

Good morning pals,
Due to the other family based petition going on, the Embassy says they concluded we are customarily married (which we are not), and i should have added my husband in the original entry.
Wah. So sorry my dear. This is so sad especially with the expenses already used and the emotional involvement
I hope the family immigration isn't very far away and that you will pass that interview
These guys are so strict in 3rd world especially when it comes to scrutiny of marriages and educational credentials due to our lack of organized systems and poor record keeping
In Kenya the law considers living with a partner more than 6 months as marriage especially if the cohabitation has children even without dowry payments
President Uhuru signed that bill to support women in marital and child support cases especially from men who dump women with children after living with them for years
I think that's what they call reciprocity by country and the embassy follows local laws to make judgment

Good morning pals,
So sorry for you.

Good morning pals,
Take heart @JayR 2020AF000015**. This journey is truly unpredictable. Let's hope for the best in the family based petition. And thanks for informing us irregardless of the circumstances.

Good morning pals,

So sorry to learn of your denial.

Do you mind sharing a little bit more regarding your family based petition? When was it filed (date)? Are you both listed as a couple on that petition? Whose family member filed the petition, yours or your husband’s?

Good morning pals,
I’m sorry to hear this. I too am interested in the response to sm1smom’s questions, as what you posted seems to imply that there is a spousal relationship established in a different petition. If that is the case though at least you have another route to the US, and best of luck with that going forwards.

Below is my Embassy Experience earlier this week.
2020AF3***
Embassy - Nairobi
Woke up early at 2.30am, arrived at the embassy around 6.20am. Our appointment was for 7am.
Was drizzling as we went through the first security check
At least the second security is well covered from rain.
The third security check is very intense & had to leave behind our phones.
Obtained the token number at the first desk inside the embassy building.
Called in for documents notably Passport plus copy, Birth certificate plus copy, KCSE Certificate plus copy, Marriage certificate plus copy & Police certificate without copy. I could see the lady already had my certified KCSE copy. Then she asked for the affidavit of support which I did NOT have. I explained I have the invite letter & my financial statements. She said she will not take those & that worried me.
The lady asked whether we had made Visa payments and sent us to the Cashier.
After payment we were asked to wait outside where it was very cold.
After about 1 hour we were called to face the CO and the Affidavit of support issue still bothered me.
CO, started by swearing all including the kids.
CO, So who is your Host ?
Me , blahblahblah
CO, So who is he to you ?
Me, blahblahblah
CO, all your Visas are approved. They will be ready for collection in one week. Have you registered with DHL ? Gave me USCS forms and advised I make $220 payments for each applicant.
Pls note this is NOT a shortened version of the interview. That was it.
Thank you for this forum.

Last edited:
2020AF3***
Embassy - Nairobi
Woke up early at 2.30am, arrived at the embassy around 6.20am. Our appointment was for 7am.
Called in for documents notably Passport plus copy, Birth certificate plus copy, KCSE Certificate plus copy, Marriage certificate plus copy & Police certificate without copy. I could see the lady already had my certified KCSE copy. Then she asked for the affidavit of support which I did NOT have. I explained I have the invite letter & my financial statements. She said she will not take those & that worried me.
After about 1 hour we were called to face the CO and the Affidavit of support issue still bothered me.
Me , blahblahblah
Me, blahblahblah
CO, all your Visas are approved. They will be ready for collection in one week. Have you registered with DHL ? Gave me USCS forms and advised I make $220 payments for each applicant.
Congratulations @Mhehoh
Short, precise and to the point

2020AF3***
Embassy - Nairobi
Me , blahblahblah
Me, blahblahblah
Congratulations

So sorry to learn of your denial.

Do you mind sharing a little bit more regarding your family based petition? When was it filed (date)? Are you both listed as a couple on that petition? Whose family member filed the petition, yours or your husband’s?
Thank for your concern mom.
The Family based was filed back in 2011 by my husbands dad. back then we were not married nor had kids. The case became current in 2018 still under F1 as we had not married but had kids. Dads lawyer advised him to still continue the petition under F1 due to that fact of us not being married, but include kids in the case. So kids presence brought in some jitters with the Embassy whereby they picked random numbers from my husbands phone and called them to certify we were not customarily married. Called 3 people..2 said they know we not married but we stay together, but one said we did dowry process!!! I dont know where he got that from!! So the Embassy decided to go with the last persons statement and so concluded we are customarily married and hence the petition was moved to F3 in April this year.
So during the DV interview, which happened after the Family Based one, The CO retrived my husbands case and said that since the Embassy had earlier found out that we are customarily married, they wont grant us the DV as i was supposed to mention my husband in the original entry.
He just told us to continue playing the lottery as we await the F3 petition which might take some years (3 or so)...which ever comes first.

Will stick around though as we wait for DV2021..we played ;);)