• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 AOS Only

Hello all,
How does the DV adjustment of status payment receipt looks like?
I received envelope back from KCC, it has only paid rubber stamped on paper.

On form I485. What does this refer to?
If you are the principal applicant, provide the following information
1. Receipt number of underlying petition (if any)
2. Priority date of underlying petition

Not applicable to DV based AOS petitions - leave the sections blank or write N/A.

How do I answer this question.
Have you received public assistance in the United States from any source, including the U.S. Government or any state, county, city, or municipality (other than emergency medical treatment)?

I had public assistance in the form of MassHealth from July 2016-Dec 2016. Do I need to provide any other information apart from this? Is using public assistance one of the reasons why petition may be denied?

There’s only one truthful way of answering that question, right? You select “Yes” and provide additional information as requested on the form as to what kind of public assistance you’ve received in the past.

quick question,
1. so the December VB will be out in couple of days, my number will be current for December VB, in that case does that mean it will be current on/for 1st of December and I have to attach early filing memo along with my package which I am planning to send out on November 18th or 19th or current means current!

2. Can a laminated transcript create any issue, I am afraid I will tear my original certificates in making copies or scanning and moving them here and there since they are a very thin piece of papers.

I finally feel good that all my docs are in order ready to be sent out. Thank you and good luck everyone.

Good morning @Sm1smom. Today i called the USCIS to ask about my package. On the computer, appeared that wss accepted November 4th but i didn t receive anything. But on the timeline i saw that already happened. I am very happy, at least something is happening since May. The guy at the phone gave me a Pin number.
1)With that i can check the status of my application?
2) even when i should get the biometrics?
Thank you

Good morning @Sm1smom. Today i called the USCIS to ask about my package. On the computer, appeared that wss accepted November 4th but i didn t receive anything. But on the timeline i saw that already happened. I am very happy, at least something is happening since May. The guy at the phone gave me a Pin number.
Thank you

Can you share how you got in touch with them over the phone? My package was also delivered on November 4th and I have not heard anything from them yet..

quick question,
1. so the December VB will be out in couple of days, my number will be current for December VB, in that case does that mean it will be current on/for 1st of December and I have to attach early filing memo along with my package which I am planning to send out on November 18th or 19th or current means current!

2. Can a laminated transcript create any issue, I am afraid I will tear my original certificates in making copies or scanning and moving them here and there since they are a very thin piece of papers.

I finally feel good that all my docs are in order ready to be sent out. Thank you and good luck everyone.

1. Means current as of December 1st.
2. Laminated document has not been known to be a problem.

Thank you

1. You can check case status online if you have the Receipt number.
2. You’ll get the bio notification when USCIS sends it.

I actually called that number right after I wrote this post lol. Turned out they just opened my package today and started processing it. He told me to expect mail in a couple weeks. After that conversation I checked my bank account and looks like they just charged my card today :) Sounds like a good sign!

1. You can check case status online if you have the Receipt number.
2. You’ll get the bio notification when USCIS sends it.
Good evening @Sm1smom
I checked my case on the USCIS page and I read: On November 13, 2019, we accepted the fingerprint fee for your Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, Receipt Number ####. Our National Benefits Center location is working on your case. We mailed you a notice describing how we will process your case. Please follow the instructions in the notice.
It means they just cashed the check?
I guess they emailed me NOA and I should get it in the next couple days

Good evening @Sm1smom
I checked my case on the USCIS page and I read: On November 13, 2019, we accepted the fingerprint fee for your Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, Receipt Number ####. Our National Benefits Center location is working on your case. We mailed you a notice describing how we will process your case. Please follow the instructions in the notice.
It means they just cashed the check?
I guess they emailed me NOA and I should get it in the next couple days

Does it make any difference if they just cashed the check or they did a while back? What matters is that you’ve been able to confirm USCIS accepted your package.

Hello All,
Is buying insurance from marketplace considered as public assistance??
I was paying some amount per month couple of years back to get insurance from marketplace. So, got confused, Is it considered public assistance or not??
I read marketplace website, it says it’s not considered as public charge.

Hi all! Today we called the USCIS to ask about our package because it's been 30 days since it was delivered. I'm a winner of the lottery but we filed our petition together with my husband as a derivative. They gave me a receipt number but told us they are not able to locate my husband's receipt number. They advised us to send an email to Lockbox to help with that.

On the website, the status is: On November 4, 2019, we accepted the fingerprint fee for your Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, Receipt Number ####. Our National Benefits Center location is working on your case. We mailed you a notice describing how we will process your case. Please follow the instructions in the notice.

My QUESTION is
Does each of the family members get their own receipt number? Could it be that a customer support person misunderstood something and we only need my receipt number for both me and my husband?

Thank you!

Hi all! Today we called the USCIS to ask about our package because it's been 30 days since it was delivered. I'm a winner of the lottery but we filed our petition together with my husband as a derivative. They gave me a receipt number but told us they are not able to locate my husband's receipt number. They advised us to send an email to Lockbox to help with that.

On the website, the status is: On November 4, 2019, we accepted the fingerprint fee for your Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, Receipt Number ####. Our National Benefits Center location is working on your case. We mailed you a notice describing how we will process your case. Please follow the instructions in the notice.

My QUESTION is
Does each of the family members get their own receipt number? Could it be that a customer support person misunderstood something and we only need my receipt number for both me and my husband?

Thank you!

Each petitioner gets a separate/individual receipt number, including separate receipt numbers for EAD/AP if those petitions were included in the AOS package.

Reactions: VOV
Hello All,
Is buying insurance from marketplace considered as public assistance??
I was paying some amount per month couple of years back to get insurance from marketplace. So, got confused, Is it considered public assistance or not??
I read marketplace website, it says it’s not considered as public charge.

Benefits Not Subject to Public Charge Consideration
Under the agency guidance, non-cash benefits and special-purpose cash benefits that are not intended for income maintenance are not subject to public charge consideration. Such benefits include:
  • Medicaid and other health insurance and health services (including public assistance for immunizations and for testing and treatment of symptoms of communicable diseases, use of health clinics, short-term rehabilitation services, prenatal care and emergency medical services) other than support for long-term institutional care
  • Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
  • Nutrition programs, including the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)- commonly referred to as Food Stamps, the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC), the National School Lunch and School Breakfast Program, and other supplementary and emergency food assistance programs
  • Housing benefits
  • Child care services
  • Energy assistance, such as the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
  • Emergency disaster relief
  • Foster care and adoption assistance
  • Educational assistance (such as attending public school), including benefits under the Head Start Act and aid for elementary, secondary or higher education
  • Job training programs
  • In-kind, community-based programs, services or assistance (such as soup kitchens, crisis counseling and intervention, and short-term shelter)
  • Non-cash benefits under TANF such as subsidized child care or transit subsidies
  • Cash payments that have been earned, such as Title II Social Security benefits, government pensions, and veterans' benefits, and other forms of earned benefits
  • Unemployment compensation.
    USCIS Public Charge Fact Sheet

Thank you Mom. I understand buying insurance doesn't subject to public charge but will it be considered as public assistance?? I am confused weather I answer yes or no on questions regarding public assistance in form I 485.
Thanks for you help. I really appreciate it.

Thank you Mom. I understand buying insurance doesn't subject to public charge but will it be considered as public assistance?? I am confused weather I answer yes or no on questions regarding public assistance in form I 485.
Thanks for you help. I really appreciate it.

What is the difference between “not subject to” and “not considered” apart from the spelling?