• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 AOS Only

Hi,
I called KCC and the operator said my field officer has not requested my files. I called USCIS 800 number and they said I cannot schedule an info pass since my case does not meet the criteria. They suggest me to write a letter to my field office and explain what my field officer needs to do. Also, I can go to the field office in person ( but they don’t accept walk-in infopass). I also sent a message through my USCIS account.
1-Is there any way I can pass the info to my field officer ?
2-When I go to my field office how can I convince them to pass the info to my field officer?

By the way, KCC mentioned me that my field officer needs to email them and make the request and they will email the officer my files within two business days. It would be good to add this info to the spreadsheet for future applicant so if they are in the same situation as mine they can pass the info to the field officer right away.

Thank you very much for you help.

Contact your House of Rep person or Congress man/woman and request their assistance in following up with your case. Let them know your IO cancelled your interview due to not having your KCC file and that KCC informed you your IO is yet to request the said file from KCC.

KCC tell people all sorts of (sometimes inaccurate) things on the phone especially when it comes to AOS. So no point in adding what they told you about sending the KCC file within two days of receiving the request. We know from experience that hasn’t always been the case.

Hi everyone,
Just out of curiosity, how long after USCIS asking file from KCC should one expect to hear from them?
I have already made a service request but I am concerned as to when I spoke to KCC a few days ago, I was told USCIS asked my file back on the 20th of December while my bio was scheduled and done on the 23rd of December.
I am just concerned since on standard time frame, shouldn't one's background check be completed within 4-6 weeks?

PS: I am just trying to figure out on causes of delays on my file/application.

Thank you for your help and for sharing your expert knowledge.

Hi everyone,
Just out of curiosity, how long after USCIS asking file from KCC should one expect to hear from them?
I have already made a service request but I am concerned as to when I spoke to KCC a few days ago, I was told USCIS asked my file back on the 20th of December while my bio was scheduled and done on the 23rd of December.
I am just concerned since on standard time frame, shouldn't one's background check be completed within 4-6 weeks?

PS: I am just trying to figure out on causes of delays on my file/application.

Thank you for your help and for sharing your expert knowledge.

1. You can’t use the timeframe of when KCC file was requested and sent to determine when you’re likely to hear from your FO. Use the timeline spreadsheets to figure out the average processing time for your FO.

2. Background check completion varies from person to person since it is specific to each individual. Person A’s background check may be simple and straight forward enough such that it completes within a couple of days. Person B’s background check may be complex (such as where they’re from, places they’ve been to, groups they’re known to have associated with, common name(s) with someone already identified as a person of interest, etc) as it reveals certain issues requiring further investigations which means a prolonged background check in this case.

p.s. number you’re questions if you have more than one in a post.

1. You can’t use the timeframe of when KCC file was requested and sent to determine when you’re likely to hear from your FO. Use the timeline spreadsheets to figure out the average processing time for your FO.

2. Background check completion varies from person to person since it is specific to each individual. Person A’s background check may be simple and straight forward enough such that it completes within a couple of days. Person B’s background check may be complex (such as where they’re from, places they’ve been to, groups they’re known to have associated with, common name(s) with someone already identified as a person of interest, etc) as it reveals certain issues requiring further investigations which means a prolonged background check in this case.

p.s. number you’re questions if you have more than one in a post.

Thank you, Mom, for your prompt response. This lets me understand and assume what could possibly be the reason for my delays since I have few things in my profile that could possibly make my case lill tough to get thru.

thank you,

So, the following information is to help everyone who sent their DV fee and planning to sent the DV fee.

1. On 31 January I sent my DV Fee with USPS certified mail that comes with tracking.
2. The tracking showed that the mail "arrived at unit" - the designated P.O. Box at St. Louise, MO. But it still did not finish the delivery process!!
3.So, when I checked with USPS they said that St. Louise facility is one of main US Government P.O. Box hence the de-facto mail handling facility for government services (State Dept, Defense everything...), so even if anyone tries to check what happened to the mail it will never show clearly delivered as there is no office or person to check with.
4. USPS official said that in most cases it will show "in-transit" for a week and by that time I will get my self-addressed envelope back.
5. Today, 18th Feb I received my DV Fee receipt with "PAID" stamp.

So, most of you who are worried about getting their receipt back, 2NL and other notices, be patient. There is a process and it is lengthy but it works. I received my fee receipt back exactly in 14 business days.

Hope this helps.

My number just became current for April. I was initially planning to do early filing, but as I mentioned earlier, I live in Illinois, so I’ll have to send my AOS package to Nebraska. My thinking is that since USCIS in Nebraska have probably never received a DV AOS package before, there is a greater chance of being rejected for early filing. Do you think that thinking is valid, or is the risk actually the same regardless of where I’d have to send the package?

I prefer to start the process ASAP because there is a chance the injunction in Illinois is lifted in the future.

Assuming Nebraska is not used to early filing, the worst that could happen if you take advantage of early filing will be for them to send back your package following which you can re-file in April. No damage done in that case anyways.

Hi mom @Sm1smom ,

I received an email today from USCIS case states which says

The status of this service request is:
You or your representative contacted U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) about your I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status.
We are still reviewing your case. We will mail you a notice when we make a decision.

May I please ask for your expertise on this response, if it is a standard response or I should be prepared for a longer wait on my application.

Thank you,

Hi mom @Sm1smom ,

I received an email today from USCIS case states which says

The status of this service request is:
You or your representative contacted U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) about your I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status.
We are still reviewing your case. We will mail you a notice when we make a decision.

May I please ask for your expertise on this response, if it is a standard response or I should be prepared for a longer wait on my application.

Thank you,

You can’t infer anything from it outside of what it says.

Assuming Nebraska is not used to early filing, the worst that could happen if you take advantage of early filing will be for them to send back your package following which you can re-file in April. No damage done in that case anyways.
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks!

1. During the past 5 years, my spouse (main applicant) went back to our country for 6 weeks but I was in the US in our apartment. Does she need to record the time that she went back in the address history of i485 or it would just count as a trip and her address remains the same as mine?

2. One summer I went to an internship with my wife, but we were also paying for our apartment in our original state (university). Which address should we put on the address history of i485?

3. Another summer I went for an internship and my wife did not join me and just came to visit for 3 weeks. Do we put separate addresses for that duration?

Thanks in advance

1. During the past 5 years, my spouse (main applicant) went back to our country for 6 weeks but I was in the US in our apartment. Does she need to record the time that she went back in the address history of i485 or it would just count as a trip and her address remains the same as mine?

2. One summer I went to an internship with my wife, but we were also paying for our apartment in our original state (university). Which address should we put on the address history of i485?

3. Another summer I went for an internship and my wife did not join me and just came to visit for 3 weeks. Do we put separate addresses for that duration?

Thanks in advance

1. She was only visiting, home country address not required for that period.
2. Address of where you were physically present.
3. Yes.

CN: AS16xxx

I am not too sure if I understand the whole process take information from both AOS paper work (i-485) and DS-260 form or just AOS paperwork. The purpose to fill out DS-260 form is to receive the 2NL and start the AOS process correct?

The reason I am asking is because I have filled out and submitted my DS-260 form back in May. As I was miring my AOS forms using the my submitted DS-260, I realize some of the information on the DS-260 form is incorrect, such as my father's name & my employment history.

My question is: Since my CN is not current yet (at least not until MaY), should I have KCC to unlock my DS-260 and fix those so that it will match my AOS documentations? Moreover I can answer the new questions DS-260 forms had included?

To have KCC unlock my DS-260, I just have to email them back from my 2NL correct?

Thank you for your clarification and greatly peripatetic!

CN: AS16xxx

I am not too sure if I understand the whole process take information from both AOS paper work (i-485) and DS-260 form or just AOS paperwork. The purpose to fill out DS-260 form is to receive the 2NL and start the AOS process correct?

The reason I am asking is because I have filled out and submitted my DS-260 form back in May. As I was miring my AOS forms using the my submitted DS-260, I realize some of the information on the DS-260 form is incorrect, such as my father's name & my employment history.

My question is: Since my CN is not current yet (at least not until MaY), should I have KCC to unlock my DS-260 and fix those so that it will match my AOS documentations? Moreover I can answer the new questions DS-260 forms had included?

To have KCC unlock my DS-260, I just have to email them back from my 2NL correct?

Thank you for your clarification and greatly peripatetic!

Unlock your DS260 form and make the necessary changes.

Refer to your 1NL (selectee letter) for instructions on how to contact KCC.

1. She was only visiting, home country address not required for that period.
2. Address of where you were physically present.
3. Yes.

Great, thanks for the answer. Follow up question.
At the moment my wife is studying in one state and I'm studying in the neighboring state (4hour drive). We call our home the city that my wife is, however, I travel to my school and sometimes stay up to two weeks (which I have rented an apartment).
I think I should put our home (the city where my wife's school is) as my mailing address, but should I include the address of the apartment I rented in the city of my school in the address history? If so, how would I date it as there will be two addresses for the same time duration?

Last edited:
Hi,

So far we have not filled our DS260 in case we needed to apply for OPT or extend our I20. However, we just got the receipt of administrative payment fee.
Our number became current two days ago (for the month of April), and we are planning to submit our package (without the i-693 form as there is not enough time to get it and later take it with us to the interview) to avoid the new public charge forms.

1. In the spreadsheet under Evidence of Eligibility, it states to include the Email from KCC (2nd NL). If we haven't submitted DS260 would we have this? can we proceed without it?

2. When the USCIS site states postmarked before Feb 24th, would it mean that the postal service receives the package before this date or the Chicago Lockbox receives it before that date?

3. I saw the pictures on the assembly tab, but it was not clear that if there are two people in our household do we need to send two different packages, or is just enough to have one package but the documents for each individual is well separated?

4. While gathering the documents in the spreadsheet we noticed that the address on our bank statements is not the one that we are in right now (and putting as our mailing address). Would it be better to not include it and change the address now and later take the new statements to the interview or it doesn't matter?

Many thanks

Great, thanks for the answer. Follow up question.
At the moment my wife is studying in one state and I'm studying in the neighboring state (4hour drive). We call our home the city that my wife is, however, I travel to my school and sometimes stay up to two weeks (which I have rented an apartment).
I think I should put our home (the city where my wife's school is) as my mailing address, but should I include the address of the apartment I rented in the city of my school in the address history? If so, how would I date it as there will be two addresses for the same time duration?

1. Yes
2. Please use your best judgement

Hi,

So far we have not filled our DS260 in case we needed to apply for OPT or extend our I20. However, we just got the receipt of administrative payment fee.
Our number became current two days ago (for the month of April), and we are planning to submit our package (without the i-693 form as there is not enough time to get it and later take it with us to the interview) to avoid the new public charge forms.

1. In the spreadsheet under Evidence of Eligibility, it states to include the Email from KCC (2nd NL). If we haven't submitted DS260 would we have this? can we proceed without it?

2. When the USCIS site states postmarked before Feb 24th, would it mean that the postal service receives the package before this date or the Chicago Lockbox receives it before that date?

3. I saw the pictures on the assembly tab, but it was not clear that if there are two people in our household do we need to send two different packages, or is just enough to have one package but the documents for each individual is well separated?

4. While gathering the documents in the spreadsheet we noticed that the address on our bank statements is not the one that we are in right now (and putting as our mailing address). Would it be better to not include it and change the address now and later take the new statements to the interview or it doesn't matter?

Many thanks

1. 2NL is usually sent following the DS260 form submission. You can proceed without it.

2. Postal (mailing) date marked on the package.

3. One package per person - both (or all packages if more than two) mailed together as one big package.

4. You want to send as detailed a package as possible. Include the statements. Change the address later and take updated statements to your interview when you get to that stage.

1. Yes
2. Please use your best judgement

Got it that it will be my choice, but is it possible to have two addresses for the same time frame?
If not, then I have to split the past 6 months into weeks and have different addresses for each two weeks.

Hi!

1. Is it the case that I will receive the 2NL after that I pay 330$ fee and not after I submitted the DS260?
I have the original 330$ receipt with the paid stamp (that they mailed me back), and an email where it is written that my case will be process by USCIS, and the fee is paid.
Is it this one a "2NL"?
Sorry but I don't know how the 2NL really looks like, so I am trying to understand if I have everything or not.

2. I read the spreadsheet and how I have to prepare the package, then I read the experience of other people, and looks like that all people sent the payment separate from the AOS package.
So, I was wondering if it will make any difference if I send the payment with the AOS package or should I wait that USCIS ask me to pay?