• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 AOS Only

Thsnk you for reply

I’m not out of status, just my student visa is expired. my status is legal as long as I keep studying but if I leave USA I must make another visa to enter.
No I have never worked in USA

Your previous post led me to the conclusion of your being out of status. However, upon re-reading it in addition to this current post, yes I agree you’re not out of status. You just don’t seem to understand what makes one ineligible for processing AOS.

I don’t understand how you came to the conclusion that you’re not eligible to process AOS because you F1 visa stamp (which is on your passport) has expired! Which particular posts in this forum led you to that conclusion??? What do you understand as the requirements that makes one eligible for AOS? We can’t provide you with the right guidance if we don’t have a clear understanding of your situation - the response you get will be based on what you write.

Your previous post led me to the conclusion of your being out of status. However, upon re-reading it in addition to this current post, yes I agree you’re not out of status. You just don’t seem to understand what makes one ineligible for processing AOS.

I don’t understand how you came to the conclusion that you’re not eligible to process AOS because you F1 visa stamp (which is on your passport) has expired! Which particular posts in this forum led you to that conclusion??? What do you understand as the requirements that makes one eligible for AOS? We can’t provide you with the right guidance if we don’t have a clear understanding of your situation - the response you get will be based on what you write.

sorry for this missunderstanding
I came to the conclusion about AOS only bcoz of high CN 35***
with this high number it is impossible to make it by September 30th
so I must change my interview to CP to my country
am I right?

sorry for this missunderstanding
I came to the conclusion about AOS only bcoz of high CN 35***
with this high number it is impossible to make it by September 30th
so I must change my interview to CP to my country
am I right?

Why is it impossible?

Because case number is high , and AOS is a long process, risky to get nothing.

And have you actually studied the process, reviewed past selectees’ posts, including those with higher CNs, reviewed the available resources, compared the pros and cons of both processes before arriving at this conclusion? When do you anticipate your “high” CN becoming current by the way?

And have you actually studied the process, reviewed past selectees’ posts, including those with higher CNs, reviewed the available resources, compared the pros and cons of both processes before arriving at this conclusion? When do you anticipate your “high” CN becoming current by the way?
exactly what I’m trying to do now. Studying about the process. And it’s confusing to me.
DV-2019 the same CN has become current on July.
am I right in that if it became current on July , I can’t make it with AOS?
The only option I have is to come back to my country?

exactly what I’m trying to do now. Studying about the process. And it’s confusing to me.
DV-2019 the same CN has become current on July.
am I right in that if it became current on July , I can’t make it with AOS?
The only option I have is to come back to my country?

And are you seeing CNs that became current in July who were unable to complete the process? You’re just reading about the process and without quite understanding what you’re reading, you've come to your conclusion.

Anyway it’s your call, go CP route if that works better for you.

And are you seeing CNs that became current in July who were unable to complete the process? You’re just reading about the process and without quite understanding what you’re reading, you've come to your conclusion.

Anyway it’s your call, go CP route if that works better for you.

So you mean that if it became current on July It is enough time to do AOS?
I read that the interview may be 1-4 month when CN became current..

Hello all! Thank you for supporting this forum!
I have 2 questions:
1) My passport expires in May next year. I expect that my number gets current in January. Should I worry about my foreign passport expiration date and apply for a new one in advance?
2) I cannot locate my high school diploma, but I have my Bachelor's degree diploma and transcript. Do you think it will be sufficient for the AOS process?

Hello all! Thank you for supporting this forum!
I have 2 questions:
1) My passport expires in May next year. I expect that my number gets current in January. Should I worry about my foreign passport expiration date and apply for a new one in advance?
2) I cannot locate my high school diploma, but I have my Bachelor's degree diploma and transcript. Do you think it will be sufficient for the AOS process?

1. A good idea to always have a valid passport on hand regardless.
2. That may be enough. However we’ve read/heard of a couple of reports where the IO requested to see the HS Diploma.

Excerpted from USCIS website about updated form I-485:

• We will accept the current edition of this form if it is postmarked on or before Oct. 14, 2019.
  • We will not accept it if it is postmarked on or after Oct. 15, 2019.
  • A dated receipt from the courier service used (such as UPS, FedEx, or DHL) is equivalent to a U.S. Postal Service postmark.
On or after Oct. 15, 2019, we will accept only the 10/15/19 edition.

Updated edition of the form:

Form I-485 10/15/19 edition
Form I-485 10/15/19 edition form instructions

Yes, and yes
A non-expired passport is important as a form of identification and as a required travel document for several airlines and countries.

Hello @Sm1smom, @SusieQQQ, & @Britsimon,

Thank you for supporting this form.

I have quick questions that I would appreciate your reply on them. As shown in my previous post that I went to vacation back home for one month and I reentered the US at the end of August.

I submitted my DS-260 and paid the DV fees on September but I wasn't aware of the 90-day rule. I also received my 2NL and my payment receipt. I also figured out that I answered one question incorrectly. Subsequently, I emailed the KCC to inquire how I would fix such an error. Unlocking the DS-260 was suggested by them. When I was searching the internet, and to the best of my knowledge, unlocking the DS-260 will require me to REFILL the whole DS-260 and resubmit it again. I also believe that they will issue me a new 2NL with a new barcode dated with a new date (after my second submission).

1- Is my information correct regarding receiving a second 2NL with a new date?
2- Do you think this will give me an opportunity to resubmit my DS-260 in a timely manner? Saying after a period of 90 days after my re-entry to the US regardless of my first DS-260 submission?
3- I am a student on F-1 Visa and receiving a scholarship of tuition fees paid and some stipend to survive in the amount of $23,500. I was reading the thread regarding affidavit of support and figured out that it is a good idea to submit the form I-134. My wife is a US citizen, does I-864 have anything to do with my case? Obviously, I'm not filling a family-based AOS but just wanted to make sure.
4- If so, should I send a copy of the affidavit of support or should I send the actual form?
5- I have a bachelor's degree (back home), a master's degree from the US, and currently enrolled in a Ph.D. program (in the US, as well). Do I still have to translate my high school diploma and send it in the AOS package?

I know my post seems tedious but will relieve me getting the right answers!
Thank you all.

Last edited:
Hello @Sm1smom, @SusieQQQ, & @Britsimon,

Thank you for supporting this form.

I have quick questions that I would appreciate your reply on them. As shown in my previous post that I went to vacation back home for one month and I reentered the US at the end of August.

I submitted my DS-260 and paid the DV fees on September but I wasn't aware of the 90-day rule. I also received my 2NL and my payment receipt. I also figured out that I answered one question incorrectly. Subsequently, I emailed the KCC to inquire how I would fix such an error. Unlocking the DS-260 was suggested by them. When I was searching the internet, and to the best of my knowledge, unlocking the DS-260 will require me to REFILL the whole DS-260 and resubmit it again. I also believe that they will issue me a new 2NL with a new barcode dated with a new date (after my second submission).

1- Is my information correct regarding receiving a second 2NL with a new date?
2- Do you think this will give me an opportunity to resubmit my DS-260 in a timely manner? Saying after a period of 90 days after my re-entry to the US regardless of my first DS-260 submission?
3- I am a student on F-1 Visa and receiving a scholarship of tuition fees paid and some stipend to survive in the amount of $23,500. I was reading the thread regarding affidavit of support and figured out that it is a good idea to submit the form I-134. My wife is a US citizen, does I-864 have anything to do with my case? Obviously, I'm not filling a family-based AOS but just wanted to make sure.
4- If so, should I send a copy of the affidavit of support or should I send the actual form?
5- I have a bachelor's degree (back home), a master's degree from the US, and currently enrolled in a Ph.D. program (in the US, as well). Do I still have to translate my high school diploma and send it in the AOS package?

I know my post seems tedious but will relieve me getting the right answers!
Thank you all.

1. Unlocking and resubmitting the DS260 will not generate a new 2NL.
2. A resubmitted DS260 does not erase the record of when the form was initially submitted. Even if this was possible, there’s still the fact of AOS administrative fee payment constituting a demonstrated immigrant intent.
3. I-134
4. Send the original form, keep a copy for your records.
5. Yes you should.

As a F1 student and based on your stipend amount, having an I-134 on hand in addition is a good idea.

Hello @Sm1smom,

I have an additional question on this matter. I am also an F1 student and with similar conditions. The only difference is that my stipend amounts to around 18000 $ per year. Do I also need to file I-134 and is there a limit to yearly income after which we don't need to file I-134?

Thank You

Hello,
Do I need to copy I94, i20, ead card, passport, visa stamp page, 797 A, G1145... etc for applying i765 and i131? or just one copy for AOS package? Thanks!

Hello @Sm1smom,

I have an additional question on this matter. I am also an F1 student and with similar conditions. The only difference is that my stipend amounts to around 18000 $ per year. Do I also need to file I-134 and is there a limit to yearly income after which we don't need to file I-134?

Thank You

Same recommendation.