• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 All Selectees

Does anybody know if they have access to remote work positions unless my online profiles on websites, considering the fact that i never traveled to the countries where the people i built websites remotely for reside?

I've searched quite a lot on this subject but nothing is specific to remote work and how they check and can find out something.

I did remote website development work for a guy from UAE but his company was based in iraq, now i am not sure whether is it a good idea to insert this into DS-260 employment history.

Also If you know or any other member on this forum does, what kind of background check is performed on previous work experience in general, how they check, where they check etc...?

PS: i can qualify through education with high school

Does anybody know if they have access to remote work positions unless my online profiles on websites, considering the fact that i never traveled to the countries where the people i built websites remotely for reside?

I've searched quite a lot on this subject but nothing is specific to remote work and how they check and can find out something.

I did remote website development work for a guy from UAE but his company was based in iraq, now i am not sure whether is it a good idea to insert this into DS-260 employment history.

Also If you know or any other member on this forum does, what kind of background check is performed on previous work experience in general, how they check, where they check etc...?

PS: i can qualify through education with high school
I think you are over thinking the process, just fill in your DS-260 with the required information and move on. At the end of the day you can only be truthful and if something in your career raises a flag for them they will investigate, however if you lie or omit information and they find out later that would be way worse than any additional background checks they do up front ... just my opinion

The US has some of the most powerful intelligence technology on the planet. Whether you tell them about working for an Iraqi company or not, they're still gonna know anyway, so why not just be up front?

Plus why do you think they'll care? Unless the website was something shady...

The US has some of the most powerful intelligence technology on the planet. Whether you tell them about working for an Iraqi company or not, they're still gonna know anyway, so why not just be up front?

Plus why do you think they'll care? Unless the website was something shady...
Thanks for all of your responses.

I thought they'd care because they are in conflict with the country and i could end up being rejected for that, that's why i thought that.

Haven't done anything bad or similar, just regular work for regular clients, nothing unusual.

Hi everyone and thank you for such great support and congrats to all winners.
I have CN 2020AF41xxx I guess it’s a high number after reading all previous posts, so all I have to do now is to wait until August or September to submit my DS-260 or have I to just forget about my journey to USA LOL?

Hi everyone and thank you for such great support and congrats to all winners.
I have CN 2020AF41xxx I guess it’s a high number after reading all previous posts, so all I have to do now is to wait until August or September to submit my DS-260 or have I to just forget about my journey to USA LOL?

It’s not a terrible number for AF at all. Don’t judge by other regions. http://britsimonsays.com/historical-visa-bulletin-numbers/ it’s gotten current every year, and even before last year’s weird Sept retrogression.

It’s not a terrible number for AF at all. Don’t judge by other regions...
Thank you I have read all this thread and some articles about Visa Bulletin but I am still confused a little bit about the exact meaning of the word “current” for the DV Lottery!!!
There is two things as I understand:
After processing all numbers and some doesn’t seem to finish there situation they start calling the higher numbers on the basis of first come first serve...
Or they still continue calling for the higher to the highest numbers until they reach 50k to 55k for that fiscal year!!!

Thank you I have read all this thread and some articles about Visa Bulletin but I am still confused a little bit about the exact meaning of the word “current” for the DV Lottery!!!
There is two things as I understand:
After processing all numbers and some doesn’t seem to finish there situation they start calling the higher numbers on the basis of first come first serve...
Or they still continue calling for the higher to the highest numbers until they reach 50k to 55k for that fiscal year!!!

If a number is current, it means there is a visa available for that case number.
“Current” when stated as a word in the visa bulletin means visas are available for all case numbers. Everyone who has submitted their documents and had them processed is scheduled for interview.
If there is a number listed for a month on the visa bulletin then only numbers below that number are current.

Hello everyone,

I have a question, because I am not sure what to fill up in my DS 260 form. I lived in the USA for 3 years back from 2009 till 2012, so I entered US with a J-1 visa with 1 year duration on the visa with option to extend my stay for one more year and I did it, but before my second year was over I applied for a student visa F-1, basically I received a student status, but it was a couple of months after my J-1 visa was expired. Moreover I was never out of status, but I'm not sure if I have to give an extra explanation on that. On DS form I wrote the number of J-1 visa, because when I changed my status I have never received a stamped visa on my passport. Thank you for your help.

P.S. I left the country and I didnt finish my education there and since then I have never tried to go back to the states.

If a number is current, it means there is a visa available for that case number.
“Current” when stated as a word in the visa bulletin means visas are available for all case numbers. Everyone who has submitted their documents and had them processed is scheduled for interview.
If there is a number listed for a month on the visa bulletin then only numbers below that number are current.
As I understand from your reply means in my situation I will be scheduled an interview after June or July 2020?
Is this right? Referring to my high CN

As I understand from your reply means in my situation I will be scheduled an interview after June or July 2020?
Is this right? Referring to my high CN

Nobody has any clue right now what case numbers will be current when for DV2020.... i can't answer that.

Hey people!
I have a few questions

In the DS260 do we have to put primary and junior high school too? is that even possible? I did not seem to find an option that allows me to do that. All I can see is: "Number of Educational Institutions Attended" which I put 1 and then I put the info regarding my High School Diploma. But then underneath it there's "Provide the following information on all educational institutions at a secondary level or above you have attended." which I guess is only for High School and afterwards right? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I had to quit school after an unsuccesful 1st year (failed) at high school to go to work part time and I then attended a vocational training school obtaining a vocational qualification. It was not a government school like the regular High School therefore I did not put this education in the DS260 (the first "highest certification" is High School, and what I did is basically the step before that..).

I then attended the evening High School, because I was working during the day full time.

After 3 years I obtained my High School Diploma which in Italy is exactly the same as the normal day-time High School. In fact the final exam is held during the day together with the regular day-time students. This High School Diploma grants me an entry to a University.

Since I dont' think can't qualify with the work experiences I would qualify with my Diploma but,
if I calculate all the years I studied: 5 years of elementary school + 3 years of junior high school (or "middle" school) + 3 years of High School, that's a total of 11 years, not 12. I don't know what the Counselor might tell me, laws in italy are different and we can get the high school diploma in less than 12 years. Now the DV website is actually pretty clear:
"A high school education means successful completion of a formal course of elementary and secondary education comparable to completion of a 12-year course in the United States"
so techincally my High School Diploma obtained trough a 3-years evening school should be good right?

Anybody has experience in this? any advice?

I've read BritSimon post on his blog regarding this but it's from 2015, maybe something has changed.

DOUBLE POST BECAUSE THE SPAM FILTER THINKS THAT THE ENTIRE POST WAS SPAM
ADMIN COULD YOU PLEASE CONNECT MY 2 LAST POSTS? THANK YOU

Despite in a few times I was being promoted after starting the job as a normal worker, I noticed that all the roles I had, including the last one in Canada which is under the Canadian Labour Market Impact of Assestment skilled positions, is something that I can't find in the O*net Website and anything close to its occupations is never above the SVP range 7 and Job Zone is never more than 3. I did tick the 2 years of experience or training required checkbox and I explained all my duties but because of what I wrote above should I uncheck it?

[I already asked this question but I wanted to be more specific now]

Security and Background section.
Question:
"Do you have documentation to establish that you have received vaccinations in accordance with U.S. law?"
My answer is [I ticked NO]:
"I AM IN THE PROCESS OF OBTAINING MY VACCINATIONS RECORDS FROM ITALY AND I WILL PROVIDE THIS DOCUMENT ON OR BEFORE THE DAY OF THE MEDICAL EXAM"
[source: nolo.com ]

I'm in the process of obtaining that record from my home country, do you think that my answer is ok?

Previous U.S. Travel information section.
Question:
"Have you ever been refused a U.S. Visa, been refused admission to the United States, or withdrawn your application for admission at the port of entry " [I ticked YES]

On my arrival in Canada in May 2018 I had to go to the CANADA-USA border to do a flagpole (entering USA and then re-entering Canada) so the border officers could approve and print my Canadian work permit. Before going in the border offices the US officers gave me a stamp in my passport "...application for admission withdrawn - FLAGPOLE...". I explained all of this, including what the stamp says, in the comment box on the DS260, am I missing something? am I doing this the right way?

Yes, I read the thread in the forum that says I would have problems in the future after Flagpoling...
But as far as I know Flagpoling is not illegal and no problem occurred during that occasion so I hope that this won't turn this process upside-down...]

As you can see I can't be short on my posts... I could write books... of questions..
Thank You all!

DOUBLE POST BECAUSE THE SPAM FILTER THINKS THAT THE ENTIRE POST WAS SPAM
ADMIN COULD YOU PLEASE CONNECT MY 2 LAST POSTS? THANK YOU

Previous U.S. Travel information section.
Question:
"Have you ever been refused a U.S. Visa, been refused admission to the United States, or withdrawn your application for admission at the port of entry " [I ticked YES]

On my arrival in Canada in May 2018 I had to go to the CANADA-USA border to do a flagpole (entering USA and then re-entering Canada) so the border officers could approve and print my Canadian work permit. Before going in the border offices the US officers gave me a stamp in my passport "...application for admission withdrawn - FLAGPOLE...". I explained all of this, including what the stamp says, in the comment box on the DS260, am I missing something? am I doing this the right way?

Yes, I read the thread in the forum that says I would have problems in the future after Flagpoling...
But as far as I know Flagpoling is not illegal and no problem occurred during that occasion so I hope that this won't turn this process upside-down...]

As you can see I can't be short on my posts... I could write books... of questions..
Thank You all!

Hi there,
I'm not sure about the other questions you have since I'm new to all this and I don't want to give you a wrong answer
But I'm curious about the 5th one and I have 2 questions:
1 - why do you consider this as an admission withdraw? You needed to leave Canada to go through the Canadian border and validate your Canadian visa and that's it. It is like you went to the USA but stayed only for a couple of minutes instead of couple of days.
2 - You have to mention in the DS260 all times you went to USA, do you think you need to include the flagpole as well? I did the flagpole but I didn't put in the DS260. Reading your question made me think I probably need to include it because in theory I went to the USA even though I stayed there for 10 minutes only

Hey people!
I have a few questions

In the DS260 do we have to put primary and junior high school too? is that even possible? I did not seem to find an option that allows me to do that. All I can see is: "Number of Educational Institutions Attended" which I put 1 and then I put the info regarding my High School Diploma. But then underneath it there's "Provide the following information on all educational institutions at a secondary level or above you have attended." which I guess is only for High School and afterwards right? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I had to quit school after an unsuccesful 1st year (failed) at high school to go to work part time and I then attended a vocational training school obtaining a vocational qualification. It was not a government school like the regular High School therefore I did not put this education in the DS260 (the first "highest certification" is High School, and what I did is basically the step before that..).

I then attended the evening High School, because I was working during the day full time.

After 3 years I obtained my High School Diploma which in Italy is exactly the same as the normal day-time High School. In fact the final exam is held during the day together with the regular day-time students. This High School Diploma grants me an entry to a University.

Since I dont' think can't qualify with the work experiences I would qualify with my Diploma but,
if I calculate all the years I studied: 5 years of elementary school + 3 years of junior high school (or "middle" school) + 3 years of High School, that's a total of 11 years, not 12. I don't know what the Counselor might tell me, laws in italy are different and we can get the high school diploma in less than 12 years. Now the DV website is actually pretty clear:
"A high school education means successful completion of a formal course of elementary and secondary education comparable to completion of a 12-year course in the United States"
so techincally my High School Diploma obtained trough a 3-years evening school should be good right?

Anybody has experience in this? any advice?

I've read BritSimon post on his blog regarding this but it's from 2015, maybe something has changed.
Can you link the britsimon post you refer to?
Honestly- I would be a little concerned about this and the night school aspect. This has gone both ways in the past from reading various experiences. I’m thinking you may get away with it because as you say you wrote the exact same exam - but a lot will depend on how the CO looks at the specific requirements. I know for some country specific embassies, they explicitly say that part time high school does not count (example : https://al.usembassy.gov/visas/immi...tional-employment-qualification-requirements/) Unfortunately Italy only has a few hundred selectees for DV each year so it’s hard to find information, especially about non-standard routes.
Question: would your Italian HS diploma have allowed you entry into a US university? (I’m assuming yes - but asking because this is the guideline for DV, not a university in your home country.) That answer needs to be yes but by itself is not enough (for example in the US a GED allows you college entrance but is not acceptable for DV.)

You didn’t mention a university degree so I’m assuming you don’t have one?

Last edited:
2 - You have to mention in the DS260 all times you went to USA, do you think you need to include the flagpole as well? I did the flagpole but I didn't put in the DS260. Reading your question made me think I probably need to include it because in theory I went to the USA even though I stayed there for 10 minutes only

If your passport was stamped for entry into the US you need to declare it, for flagpoling it would be either that or the “administrative refusal” as per the previous poster. Either way there will be something you need to put on your DS260.