• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 All Selectees

Dear SM1smom
I'm currently in the USA as F2 dependent visa and I have been selected for the 2020 lottery. I applied for asylum back in 2018 and I was denied back in Jan 2019 without the ability to appeal the decision since My wife is still Pursuing here degree ( we still currently in status). I plan to adjust my status since I can't go back to my home country. My concern is whether I'm still eligible for AOS or not since I received EAD ( work authorization) through asylum and I have used it to work, would that affect my eligibility. Also what going to be my next step. I really Many thanks.

This is an AOS related situation, please put your post on the 2020 AOS only thread. Responding to AOS related queries on this thread may lead to confusion for none AOSers which we want to avoid, hence the separation thread for AOS selectees.

Read up as much as you can and try to understand the process and start gathering your applicable documents before submitting your DS260 form. Your CN will not become current in 2019, you don’t get any advantage with a super early submission. You may want to want until around January to see the VB progression before submitting your DS260.

Awesome, thank you so much! :)

So for now the most I can do is gather my documents and wait until a relevant VB hits (if ever) right? No documents to submit or anything else I can really do meanwhile to help my chances.

Hi all,

I also got selected. Unfortunately, my case number is pretty high: EU000305XX. Checking last years results scared me a little bit as well as the slow development of this years Visa Bulletin. I really, really hope that it‘ll work out for me. Maybe a few of you can share their experiences with me. Is my case number considered as a high one? And is there and explanation/theory for the „overselection“ this year?

It’s gonna be a long and hard wait but I‘m looking forward to having a few companions on my journey now. :)

Also, I have a question regarding the VB: what‘s the meaning of the term „current“ in that context?

It’s too early for anyone to come up with a theory/explanation for over selection. We can’t even safely say 2020 is an over selected year since we don’t currently know the total number of selectees nor do we know how deep the holes in between cases are.

1. What are my chances with a huge number like 2020EU526**? From historical data it seems that 43,050 in 2015 was the highest number from EU ever?
2. Would the fact that I'm from Moldova have any impact on getting an interview with a huge number?
3. When will the DV-2020 visa bulletin start coming out? Right now I see only the DV-2019 one (unless I'm looking in the wrong spot)
4. Essentially I am looking for a number on the bulletin that will be above my number, right? SO: if my number is 526**, I am looking for 52700 on the bulletin?
5. Should I complete & submit the DS-260 form now? Or should I just wait it out and see if my number will ever be reached on the bulletin? Is there any harm or benefit to submitting DS-260 early?

Thank you so much in advance. I know this is a lot of questions, and I appreciate any input.

1. I don’t know
2. Your specific country plays no factor in when your CN becomes current
3. August 2019, with first set of interviews scheduled for October 2019.
4. Cut off number above your specific 526**
5. You may want to wait and observe the visa progression before decide on DS260 form submission.

Hi all, I got selected and working on DS-260
Can someone tell me what I'm supposed to provide as a permanent address to get the green card? I don't know anybody in the USA and I have no address there. The fact that I don't put any address can disqualify me?

Thanks

The system will not let you submit the form without an address. For the purpose of submitting the form, you can put your country’s US embassy’s address. Then find a reliable address before your interview and get KCC to unlock your form to enable you update the address. You can also do an address update at the time of your interview.

What are the documents that I need to provide? I will know it at the end of the DS-260 application ?

Read your 1NL carefully and click on all the links it contains. Those links have highly valuable information which includes list of required documents.

The system will not let you submit the form without an address. For the purpose of submitting the form, you can put your country’s US embassy’s address. Then find a reliable address before your interview and get KCC to unlock your form to enable you update the address. You can also do an address update at the time of your interview.
Thanks
What if I take a mail box from usabox, usglobalmail, shiptotheborder, shipito....
I have been told the gov will refuse to send GC to boxes like these

My next door neighbor is a lawyer, his twin brother is also a lawyer (they both live in my community). They both upgrade their exotic vehicles to the most recent model on an annual basis like clock work ;)
lol , Im sure they are. ))

Thanks
What if I take a mail box from usabox, usglobalmail, shiptotheborder, shipito....

No you can’t use a PO box. Like @Sm1smom said, u can use a random adr and update it later. But obviously, this means that at some point you will need a real address, and that’s BEFORE you enter the US as they need to know where to send the GC

Thanks

You’ve already answered your own question.

You're right. there is no point arguing. I've read enough immigration cases to know how sticky they are on eligibility issues. If it was just a case of proving hardship (or arguing that you didn't abandon residence after being out the US longer than a year on a green card, etc), that is the kind of thing lawyers work around. You are actually suggesting they need to challenge the very basis of the law - who can do what - big budget and more time than they will have under DV - and you are more than welcome to go read all the case law of precedent trying to change who may do what under immigration law. Be interested to find how often you see any changes in who is eligible for what. I too hope OP chooses wisely and doesn't waste money.
thank you for taking time discuss my inquiry.You guys are all correct from both perspectives. for sure I will make sure before making some moves,especially if I need to find a lawyer. shortly to say I will choose wisely.

No you can’t use a PO box. Like @Sm1smom said, u can use a random adr and update it later. But obviously, this means that at some point you will need a real address, and that’s BEFORE you enter the US as they need to know where to send the GC

It’s also possible to update the address on the day one enters the US at the POE. I only recommend this option as a last resort because we’ve had reports of a very few number of cases where the IO refused to do an address update at the POE, possibly because the IO was having a rough day.

i am not asking the OP or his lawyers to change the law and yes lots of people challenge the law because law is not just black and white but also up to interpretation, too. i didn’t want to mention that i have seen a few cases that their lawyers found workarounds even though they were not eligible to do AOS according the words of law that people read and quoted.

sorry OP but there is no hope for your case. just let it go here and now. accept it and let it go. believe susie because she knows from reading a lot of immigration cases!
you absolutely not misleading.I totally see your point.its not like you trying to say just to waste money on lawyers.thank you once again for your support! Im 37 years old,have a little life experience, its always good to listen all kinds of points of view,because,more you know,wiser you can choose lol

Reactions: CWH
1. Do you recommend waiting for your original documents to arrive before submitting the DS 260 form or can you submit the form before your originals arrive in the mail?

2. If I am going to travel to the US at the end of the month, should I wait until I have come back from my travels before submitting the DS 260 form or can I submit it early and it won't impact on my US travels later this month (vacation)?

Hi everyone! Oceania selectee here with a case number in the 500s. I have already submitted my DS-260 form, does anyone know if this is too early? I didn't realise we were supposed to wait!

Hi everyone! Oceania selectee here with a case number in the 500s. I have already submitted my DS-260 form, does anyone know if this is too early? I didn't realise we were supposed to wait!

Firstly, congratulations on your selection :)

You don’t “have to” wait. It’s just:

1) recommended for people who have really high numbers, because you declare immigrant intent by submitting your DS-260. So if your number is high, and you are not called up, you may have issues later if you want to travel on a tourist visa.

2) there is no point in rushing as the earliest interview you can get is October, and that’s for crazy low number. But by hurrying you can make a mistake which can cost you your visa.

This is why it’s recommended to take it easy and do it properly.

HI mom,
Sorry about previous post, Anyway, I have another quick question. So, me and my wife both got selected but both of us have relatively high CN (AS15xxx and AS16xxx). When we enter the eDV we both include spouse information in both applications. So, I'm thinking to go with the lower CN number application(me as the main applicant and wife as the spouse). But since we both have CNs , do we need to apply individually?( I mean fill the DS 260 with our own CN number? rather use one CN number for both of us)
Congratulation !! Can’t believe that you both are selected . For my experience , your case number will not be current sooner and you May expect interview around August or September 2020 . Back to my case number 2016AS108** , I got my interview in August . I need to wait almost 15 month to get my interview . Hope it helps you .

Congratulation !! Can’t believe that you both are selected . For my experience , your case number will not be current sooner and you May expect interview around August or September 2020 . Back to my case number 2016AS108** , I got my interview in August . I need to wait almost 15 month to get my interview . Hope it helps you .
Thank you, yeah it's just unbelievable for us as well. I'm planing to wait until September to fill the DS260, do you think that's a good idea or a bad idea? I'm a F1 student, So I want to wait and see if our CNs going to have chance or not before fill anything.

Hi, i have forgotten my confirmation number of DV2020, when i went through the "forgotten password" direction and answer with required information, it still not giving my confirmation number? is that a problem in the sight?