• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 All Selectees

As of mid to late 2019, KCC had 430 contract employees of which just 21 of those are dedicated to DV cases (and I doubt that number is vastly different as of today). These 21 employees are responsible for handling phone calls and email inquiries about the program, processing the electronic visa applications from DV selectees, scheduling overseas interviews, and working with USCIS to process selectees already in the United States. They also ensure compliance with DV program rules, eliminates duplicate applications, and prescreens every case for fraud indicators.

I thought this bore repeating and emphasis, especially for those who seem convinced there is a separate call center and that the endless phone calls don’t impact.

I thought this bore repeating and emphasis, especially for those who seem convinced there is a separate call center and that the endless phone calls don’t impact.
Even if there is 430 contract employees working now that's unfair number to work for thousands of people's case, document review, sending email, answering calls and email etc. And we have now COVID situation and closed embassies making things very difficult.
Don't forget, in mid March, DOS gave their American staff at the embassies the option to go somewhere (like returning to the USA) if they were in a country that made them feel less safe. Some embassy staff might have done that particularly in countries like UK, Spain and Italy where the pandemic has been very impactful. That means they would need to return to those countries. Now that in itself could be challenging - in Spain for instance entry is either not allowed, or a person has to go into a strict two week self quarantine. That could be problematic for some returning staff.

My point is, just because a country sees partial reopening, the mechanics for US embassies reopening might be more complicated.

Again, I know everyone wants black and white answers - but there are none.
I just wanted add some info on this. I'm from Mongolia. And here we don't have any local confirmed covid case. We locked down our entire country for twice. Now everything is fine. Except people have to wear mask. But back in 2020.03.13 US embassy in my country declared that they temporarily stopped any immigration and non-immigration visa interviews due to staff shortage. Some sources says government will open border on 1th of June. But it's not confirmed. Even if it does as a 2020 selectee who got "documents received" email with lower case number /2020AS000054*/ i'm losing hope to make it before September. All we can do is wait and see. But need to prepared for "not making it before Sept".

Even if there is 430 contract employees working now that's unfair number to work for thousands of people's case, document review, sending email, answering calls and email etc. And we have now COVID situation and closed embassies making things very difficult.

I just wanted add some info on this. I'm from Mongolia. And here we don't have any local confirmed covid case. We locked down our entire country for twice. Now everything is fine. Except people have to wear mask. But back in 2020.03.13 US embassy in my country declared that they temporarily stopped any immigration and non-immigration visa interviews due to staff shortage. Some sources says government will open border on 1th of June. But it's not confirmed. Even if it does as a 2020 selectee who got "documents received" email with lower case number /2020AS000054*/ i'm losing hope to make it before September. All we can do is wait and see. But need to prepared for "not making it before Sept".
It’s just unfortunately they don’t give us a lot of useful insight about their plans for reopening the embassy’s. Atleast for USCIS their goal is June 4th for now, even though a lot of other countries are in a better shape. But hope for the best, they can’t keep them shut for much longer.

I have a question regarding the EU, UK travel ban to the US.

I received my visa in March and planned on traveling in April but airports were closed where I live. I am now trying to fly in June because I have concerns that if the immigration ban is extended, Trump may implement new restrictions on previously issued visas.
1) is there a possibility that existing immigrant visas can be affected by an extension on the immigration ban?

2) all flights departing from my country transit through London Heathrow or Paris, and since EU and UK are under a travel ban, will transits also be disallowed?

If traveling through the UK/EU is not an option, we might not be able to travel until the other airlines open up, or the travel ban ends.

Anyone who has been through a situation like this, or knows anything related to the topic, any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

I received my visa in March and planned on traveling in April but airports were closed where I live. I am now trying to fly in June because I have concerns that if the immigration ban is extended, Trump may implement new restrictions on previously issued visas.
1) is there a possibility that existing immigrant visas can be affected by an extension on the immigration ban?

2) all flights departing from my country transit through London Heathrow or Paris, and since EU and UK are under a travel ban, will transits also be disallowed?

If traveling through the UK/EU is not an option, we might not be able to travel until the other airlines open up, or the travel ban ends.

Anyone who has been through a situation like this, or knows anything related to the topic, any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.
1. Highly unlikely.
2. Yes, transit through such a country will be an issue. The wording is “physically present within” the affected areas - transit is physical presence within Schengen/UK/Ireland even though you don’t cross a border. Note: you mention “EU”, but it is only Schengen countries that are banned. Have you checked to see if any non-schengen European countries can be used for transit? (It’s unlikely these will be good candidates generally for transit but...worth checking).

Hi
1) I have faced interview in March. After that my status show as AP but April 22 it changed to ready. Can anyone know about that??

2) Actually I m working in another country. Now I cannot go back to my work because my passport is in the embassy since March 10th. They asked me to collect it on March 19th. But my country imposed lockdown from March 17th. So that still my passport is in the embassy. If I request them to release my passport until 23rd of June. what will happen to my dv lottery?
@Britsimon @SusieQQQ

Hi
1) I have faced interview in March. After that my status show as AP but April 22 it changed to ready. Can anyone know about that??

2) Actually I m working in another country. Now I cannot go back to my work because my passport is in the embassy since March 10th. They asked me to collect it on March 19th. But my country imposed lockdown from March 17th. So that still my passport is in the embassy. If I request them to release my passport until 23rd of June. what will happen to my dv lottery?
@Britsimon @SusieQQQ

1. It's not possible to tell your status from that update. Patience is key.
2. They can't issue immigrant visas while the immigrant ban is in force. So - wait until after the ban is lifted. The embassies are generally closed at the moment anyway - so again - there is nothing to do but wait.

Hi There,
I am in exactly the same situation. Just 2 months ahead as I got my visa in January. I am exploring flights over Turkey or Serbia as they are opening for international flights in a few days.
Not sure if this will work out for you but I really hope it does. Good luck!

2. They can't issue immigrant visas while the immigrant ban is in force. So - wait until after the ban is lifted. The embassies are generally closed at the moment anyway - so again - there is nothing to do but wait.
Hello dear brit
In egypt the embassy issue 4 visas yesterday

They’re closed, all embassy’s are closed. And getting a visa approved is odd due to the ban so I wonder how they did that.

that’s why I asked what category. spouses and children of usc are still able to get immigrant visas. I also know of someone in my home country issued after the shutdown, had also been on AP from before. So while embassies may not be interviewing it does look like at least some are continuing to work on existing cases where they can.

I want to get back my passport. Because I want to secure my current job. Can I ask them to release my passport. If they release, what will happen to my dv case? In my country, embassies opened now.

I want to get back my passport. Because I want to secure my current job. Can I ask them to release my passport. If they release, what will happen to my dv case? In my country, embassies opened now.
Normally they would ask you to send the passport back to them for visa issuance when a visa is available.
Curious as to what country has an open US embassy now?