• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2019 - new enrollment date Oct 18 - Nov 22 !!!

OnTheGo

Registered Users (C)
**** NEWS *****

I decided to open a new thread rather than adding this important piece of info at the end of another one - because this is something everyone applying for the DV 2019 wants to know!

Not sure why this has not been communicated more wildly yet, but I have just found some BREAKING NEWS via the US Embassy in Ecuador!

"The new enrollment period for the DV-2019 program is noon on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 and ends at noon on Wednesday, November 22, 2017."
(translated from Spanish)

"If you registered before Wednesday, October 18, 2017 your registration will not be considered and you need to submit another one during the new registration period. You can submit a new record without being disqualified. Persons who submit more than one registration during this new term will be disqualified." (translated from Spanish)

Original source of info, INCLUDING DETAILS OF THE TECHNICAL FAULT, can be found here:
https://ec.usembassy.gov/es/nuevo-p...para-el-programa-de-visas-de-diversidad-2019/

Google translation into English (rough translation):
https://translate.google.com/transl...grama-de-visas-de-diversidad-2019/&edit-text=

Thanks OTG. This is another entry in the amazing list of screwups. Sorry @Xarthisius but these guys have a track record of really bad QE.

The technical explanation is interesting.

The technical explanation is interesting.

He he he ... I can't remember the online entry form...where these drop-down lists of countries or do they require to manually enter the country of birth and eligibility? I guess the system stuff up was that once you selected or entered a certain country of birth, this somehow took that as country of eligibility by default and must have 'locked' that field's drop-down list or default copy of the previous field, so people could not change it to what ever country of eligibility they needed to put down. But why? I guess we'll never find out. Let's just hope it will be plain sailing from on next Wednesday. :D

He he he ... I can't remember the online entry form...where these drop-down lists of countries or do they require to manually enter the country of birth and eligibility? I guess the system stuff up was that once you selected or entered a certain country of birth, this somehow took that as country of eligibility by default and must have 'locked' that field's drop-down list or default copy of the previous field, so people could not change it to what ever country of eligibility they needed to put down. But why? I guess we'll never find out. Let's just hope it will be plain sailing from on next Wednesday. :D

People could select a different country of chargeability than their country of birth. For me for instance - British, but charged to Spain through Mrs B.

Just staggering that they have 11 months of the year to tweak and test changes for a one month operation and they still manage to rollout with huge showstopper bugs. Honestly, if I were creating solutions that bad, I would expect to be fired.

People could select a different country of chargeability than their country of birth. For me for instance - British, but charged to Spain through Mrs B.
"Select" - so that answers my question, i.e. they were drop-down selections not just fields where people have to type out their countries of birth/eligibility. I was just curious if there was some database programming issue in connecting the two choices and one blocking the other. (or something like that, lol)
Just staggering that they have 11 months of the year to tweak and test changes for a one month operation and they still manage to rollout with huge showstopper bugs. Honestly, if I were creating solutions that bad, I would expect to be fired.
I agree with those sentiments. :rolleyes: :cool:

Two more things to highlight are that they will be emailing everyone who entered already, and that the notification date is now also pushed back 2 weeks to 15 May.

And yes it’s bizarre that they screwed up like this and now have to disregard all previous entries. Oh well, second chance for those who screwed up the initial entries (seen a bunch of those here and on other forums).

I realize that the probability of winning this lottery is quite low, but all these tech hiccup kinda makes it even lower.

The way they answered on the embassy page doesn't display any confidence.
"Due to these technical problems we can not reliably calculate how many valid registrations have been received so far."

When we submitted for the 2nd time, can we be sure that our entry doesn't get detected as duplicate?
Are they scrubbing the old entry?
Or maybe they remember to do that, but forget to remove the submitted photos (hence photos are detected as duplicate).
There are so many things that can go wrong here (and they couldn't even do validation for drop-down list properly).

I won't be surprised if there's a bug on their algorithm for randomized drawing, maybe it only selects odd-numbered entry :rolleyes:

Well, I shouldn't be complaining, this is a free lottery after all. Good luck to all the participants :)

/end rant

I realize that the probability of winning this lottery is quite low, but all these tech hiccup kinda makes it even lower.

The way they answered on the embassy page doesn't display any confidence.
"Due to these technical problems we can not reliably calculate how many valid registrations have been received so far."

When we submitted for the 2nd time, can we be sure that our entry doesn't get detected as duplicate?
Are they scrubbing the old entry?
Or maybe they remember to do that, but forget to remove the submitted photos (hence photos are detected as duplicate).
There are so many things that can go wrong here (and they couldn't even do validation for drop-down list properly).

I won't be surprised if there's a bug on their algorithm for randomized drawing, maybe it only selects odd-numbered entry :rolleyes:

Well, I shouldn't be complaining, this is a free lottery after all. Good luck to all the participants :)

/end rant

They already answered your question that it won’t be regarded as duplicate and that they are discarding the original entries. Not sure if you did actually read the link?

They had a problem before with non randomized drawing in DV2012 and they did a redraw. Yes they have glitches in the system that they really should not have. But they do publicize and fix them, which is all they can do after the fact.

And yeah it’s a free lottery. No one is forcing you to enter.

Btw it’s officially in English now too

https://ec.usembassy.gov/new-entry-period-diversity-visa-program-dv-2019/

Due to technical issues, the registration period for DV-2019 is being restarted, and all entries made prior to October 18, 2017, will need to be resubmitted for the entrant to be considered. We regret the inconvenience to Diversity Visa entrants. In order to ensure fairness and protect the integrity of the process for all those concerned, however, we must restart the entry process for this year (DV-2019).

The new registration period for DV-2019 opens for electronic entries at 11:00am, Wednesday, October 18, 2017, and closes at 11:00am, Wednesday, November 22, 2017. [i presume this is Ecuador time]

If you entered before Wednesday, October 18, 2017, that entry will not be considered, and you will need to submit another entry during the new registration period. You may submit one new entry without being disqualified for submitting multiple entries. Individuals who submit more than one entry during the new registration period will be disqualified.

Applicants can access the electronic DV entry form (E-DV) at the official E-DV website, dvlottery.state.gov, during the registration period. DV instructions also are available on the Department of State’s public webpage at usvisas.state.gov/dv/instructions.

All other eligibility requirements remain the same.

Beginning May 15, 2018, DV-2019 entrants will be able to use their unique confirmation number provided at registration to check the online Entrant Status Check at dvlottery.state.gov to see if their entry was selected. Entrant Status Check will inform successful entrants how to apply for DVs for themselves and their eligible family members. The Department also will confirm visa interview appointments through the Entrant Status Check.

The technical explanation is sad... At least, it makes me sad.

Quite.

Like I said before, this is not a well run show.

In 2012 they announced the results, and then had to redraw the whole thing because they had left a piece of test code in the selection process that caused all the winners to be from the first couple of days entry.

In DV2015 they had a glitch where winners couldn't see their 1NLs. That took days to fix.

In DV2017 they had problems with not being able to check the results for a majority of cases. They eventually fixed that, but a few cases are STILL not check-able.

So yeah - sad.

Why are they releasing this from the Ecuador embassy and not North America?

An internal communication would have been sent to all embassies. Ecuador were most efficient in publishing it first. That's all. Travel.state.gov are slow to update things.

An internal communication would have been sent to all embassies. Ecuador were most efficient in publishing it first. That's all. Travel.state.gov are slow to update things.

Their communications could definitely be vastly improved. As far as I saw, the Ankara embassy was the only official public communication about DV2017 running out of visas.

**** NEWS *****

I decided to open a new thread rather than adding this important piece of info at the end of another one - because this is something everyone applying for the DV 2019 wants to know!

Not sure why this has not been communicated more wildly yet, but I have just found some BREAKING NEWS via the US Embassy in Ecuador!

"The new enrollment period for the DV-2019 program is noon on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 and ends at noon on Wednesday, November 22, 2017."
(translated from Spanish)

"If you registered before Wednesday, October 18, 2017 your registration will not be considered and you need to submit another one during the new registration period. You can submit a new record without being disqualified. Persons who submit more than one registration during this new term will be disqualified." (translated from Spanish)

Original source of info, INCLUDING DETAILS OF THE TECHNICAL FAULT, can be found here:
https://ec.usembassy.gov/es/nuevo-p...para-el-programa-de-visas-de-diversidad-2019/

Google translation into English (rough translation):
https://translate.google.com/transl...grama-de-visas-de-diversidad-2019/&edit-text=

Thanks for the update and lets hope for no more technical issues on this DV2019. Good to luck to all.

I have a question (may be stupid question), does this have any impact on higher case numbers for DV2019? or it doesn't matter since the there are no interviews before October 2019 anyways?