• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 OC Selectees

Hey Guys, I've received my interview date now for May and am going to book my medical for next week.

Just a question about the photocopies of birth certificate, police report, educational certificate etc to be brought to the interview. Do these need to be certified copies (from a JP) or are regular photocopies (non-certified) fine? Also, do I need to take my tertiary degrees as well or is the high school certificate enough?

Do I need any documents from any authority as proof of not being married/attending the military/going to court? (for the interview)

For the medical, the US consulate advises to bring 6 US size passport photos but the doctor in Sydney says they prefer I bring 6 AU size passport photos in their email information. Which should I do?

Hey Guys, I've received my interview date now for May and am going to book my medical for next week.

Just a question about the photocopies of birth certificate, police report, educational certificate etc to be brought to the interview. Do these need to be certified copies (from a JP) or are regular photocopies (non-certified) fine? Also, do I need to take my tertiary degrees as well or is the high school certificate enough?

Do I need any documents from any authority as proof of not being married/attending the military/going to court? (for the interview)

For the medical, the US consulate advises to bring 6 US size passport photos but the doctor in Sydney says they prefer I bring 6 AU size passport photos in their email information. Which should I do?

Just a comment about the photos - when I made our doctors appointment yesterday they specifically asked for US sized photos.

No need for certified copies.

I would take university degrees. Just in case.

No need for documents proving you aren't married / have a military history.

You'll need your police certificate etc and, if there are court events in your history, you'll need to bring that with you.

Just a comment about the photos - when I made our doctors appointment yesterday they specifically asked for US sized photos.
Just completed my medical check yesterday. My doctor's surgery asked for Australian sized photos - I took both US and Australian sizes just in case, but they specifically wanted Australian sizes. I figure they've done it enough times before that it's not an issue with the visa process.

For those who have received their visa - how long did you have to wait to receive it in the mail after the Sydney consulate interview?

For those who have received their visa - how long did you have to wait to receive it in the mail after the Sydney consulate interview?
Mine arrived super quick to my address in Melbourne.

Visa was approved last Friday & I received my passport the following Monday morning. From what I hear they are very prompt in Sydney with regards to sending the passports back.

Damn why is the case number moving so slowly. Wat if it doesnt even reach @Britsimon estimated Oceanier case figure. Seems it gonna be a heart break for plenty Oceaniers. Sad naaaaaaa

Hi All- thanks to you all for providing such a great resource! Still awaiting an outcome with my case number, however a quick question on a potential issue I have just identified.

I excitedly submitted my DS-260 several months ago not thinking about the possibility that I may be visiting the US for a quick trip in May. Given this establishes 'immigrant intent' I am now worried about the risk of my flying over even just for a few days. From past posts I can see the advice is to hold off submitting DS-260 until after any planned trips- given this is no longer an option for silly people like me would it be foolish of me to fly over next month for a short stay? Thanks in advance!

Hi All- thanks to you all for providing such a great resource! Still awaiting an outcome with my case number, however a quick question on a potential issue I have just identified.

I excitedly submitted my DS-260 several months ago not thinking about the possibility that I may be visiting the US for a quick trip in May. Given this establishes 'immigrant intent' I am now worried about the risk of my flying over even just for a few days. From past posts I can see the advice is to hold off submitting DS-260 until after any planned trips- given this is no longer an option for silly people like me would it be foolish of me to fly over next month for a short stay? Thanks in advance!

No worries about the trip. I visit between the submission of my DS-260 and my interview. Just updated the trip when I got back.

Don't worry, I submitted my DS-260 way back in May - I've had a J1 visa interview AND an E3 interview AND visited on an ESTA since then.
The only time anybody asked me anything was during the J1 interview, and I (truthfully) told them I had given up hope as my case number was so high (OC17xx)

Great news- thanks to you both, very much appreciated. Just didn't want to put the big picture at risk just for the sake of a quick visit.

We are off to Sydney this weekend for our interview on Tuesday....eeeeekkk.
I'll post when we get back to let everyone know of experience in case it helps anyone else.

Hi Guys, I had my interview today and this is my report. I arrived at the MLC building in Martin Place about 30 mins before my interview time. I went up to security and the lady at the front organised all my essential documents into a separate document folder. From there you go through a metal detector and they hold all your electronic items until you've returned from your interview. You go up a lift to the actual consulate after that. The consulate is basically set out like an RTA or NSW Service Centre I think is what they're called now (where you get your drivers licence). You take a ticket and almost immediately get called to a window to have your documents submitted. There had been a problem with the cashier all morning and some people had been waiting around for hours. So it took a while for everyone to clear through the cashier and make their payment after that. You can pay with either cash or card. Because there had been a line at the cashier my number was called for an interview before I had made my payment. The officer had to wait until I paid, luckily I was next in line to pay. The interview is held at the window, just like when you get your licence renewed. The officer asked me the following questions; Why did you apply for the DV lottery visa? Where do you want to live in the USA? Do you have friends and family in that location? What do you want to do there for work? Do you do that here now? How much money do you have in your bank account? And I showed the officer my bank account balance, which I had printed off and which he appreciated. I didn't expect them to ask me about finances because from what I've read they generally don't ask at the Sydney Consulate but I was prepared anyway. Then he said everything seems to be in order, congratulations and that my passport will be returned in 5-7 days. Note; I only had the regular express post 3kg bag so I bought the platinum express post 3kg bag as well from the auspost shop in Martin Place on the morning before my interview because that's the envelope specifically requested on the documents list (my local auspost shop only sold the regular express post 3kg one). When I arrived at security at the consulate they had a regular one pinned up as an example so I'm assuming that would have sufficed and I didn't really need the platinum one. All up I spent about 1.25 hrs in the consulate. I'm feeling relieved now as I can tick that off my list and now I have to start thinking about organising insurance and accommodation :). Let my know if you have any questions.

Hi Guys, I had my interview today and this is my report. I arrived at the MLC building in Martin Place about 30 mins before my interview time. I went up to security and the lady at the front organised all my essential documents into a separate document folder. From there you go through a metal detector and they hold all your electronic items until you've returned from your interview. You go up a lift to the actual consulate after that. The consulate is basically set out like an RTA or NSW Service Centre I think is what they're called now (where you get your drivers licence). You take a ticket and almost immediately get called to a window to have your documents submitted. There had been a problem with the cashier all morning and some people had been waiting around for hours. So it took a while for everyone to clear through the cashier and make their payment after that. You can pay with either cash or card. Because there had been a line at the cashier my number was called for an interview before I had made my payment. The officer had to wait until I paid, luckily I was next in line to pay. The interview is held at the window, just like when you get your licence renewed. The officer asked me the following questions; Why did you apply for the DV lottery visa? Where do you want to live in the USA? Do you have friends and family in that location? What do you want to do there for work? Do you do that here now? How much money do you have in your bank account? And I showed the officer my bank account balance, which I had printed off and which he appreciated. I didn't expect them to ask me about finances because from what I've read they generally don't ask at the Sydney Consulate but I was prepared anyway. Then he said everything seems to be in order, congratulations and that my passport will be returned in 5-7 days. Note; I only had the regular express post 3kg bag so I bought the platinum express post 3kg bag as well from the auspost shop in Martin Place on the morning before my interview because that's the envelope specifically requested on the documents list (my local auspost shop only sold the regular express post 3kg one). When I arrived at security at the consulate they had a regular one pinned up as an example so I'm assuming that would have sufficed and I didn't really need the platinum one. All up I spent about 1.25 hrs in the consulate. I'm feeling relieved now as I can tick that off my list and now I have to start thinking about organising insurance and accommodation :). Let my know if you have any questions.

Thanks so much for sharing this. My interview is next week and this has calmed my anxiety about the whole process knowing what to expect!

Thanks so much for sharing this - like metalhead said it's really good to know what to expect. The asking for finances thing is a bit surprising, as I too had heard that they don't generally ask.

I'm trying to think of a way of asking how much money you had in the account without sounding a bit offensive, but I can't really. If you feel comfortable sharing it'd be really good to know, as that's what I'm most worried about being an issue with my application. Totally understand if you'd rather not discuss on a public forum though. :)

I'm trying to think of a way of asking how much money you had in the account without sounding a bit offensive, but I can't really. If you feel comfortable sharing it'd be really good to know, as that's what I'm most worried about being an issue with my application. Totally understand if you'd rather not discuss on a public forum though. :)

The money question is always an individual one and what one person shows doesn’t necessarily have any relevance for the next. A 25-year old single engineer or other in-demand professional needs to show far less than a retired couple with health issues, for example. The benchmark usually used is the US poverty guidelines (google them), but the more obvious it is that you can support yourself given your education and/or work experience background, the less important showing a bank balance is.

Thanks so much for sharing this - like metalhead said it's really good to know what to expect. The asking for finances thing is a bit surprising, as I too had heard that they don't generally ask.

I had 25k aud in my account, but I didn't plan to have that available in my account for the interview (I really believed that they weren't going to ask about it tbh) and is probably more than enough. I'm just guessing but I'd assume for someone <30 years old like me they would be looking for minimum 5k which would be enough to live 2-3 months until you get a job and an income, 10k would look better though. Think of it from their perspective, if you were interviewing people to live in America, how much money do you think they would need to let them get established before earning an income? It's subjective, but there is logic behind it. Note; he may have asked about finances because my intended location has a known high cost of living.

Last edited: