• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 Selectees

So After Filling the DS 260 and everything , i was going through some past dv forums on this site and i came across a statement that says you have to present a police certificate if you have lived overseas for more than a year!!and i am currently residing in Northern Cyprus (TRNC) on a student visa and i have chosen to do the interview in my country!!! so getting the police report is not the problem!! the problem is northern Cyprus is not a recognized country in the world(Including the USA) except by turkey.so is going to be a problem??? what do you advise me to do???

So After Filling the DS 260 and everything , i was going through some past dv forums on this site and i came across a statement that says you have to present a police certificate if you have lived overseas for more than a year!!and i am currently residing in Northern Cyprus (TRNC) on a student visa and i have chosen to do the interview in my country!!! so getting the police report is not the problem!! the problem is northern Cyprus is not a recognized country in the world(Including the USA) except by turkey.so is going to be a problem??? what do you advise me to do???

I advise you to read the official instructions as well as forums. Forums are helpful,but following the official instuctions is what will get you a visa. The official instructions are linked from your selection letter. Read them thoroughly. Don't just rely on forums.

https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/fees/reciprocity-by-country/CY.html ..I'm not sure if this link will take you directly to the correct section, if not choose "other records" from the list on the left hand side.

Unfortunately - unless you interview in Nicosia - it looks like you will be placed on AP given the guideline for other embassies to consult with them in individual cases of people who have lived in Turkish- controlled Cyprus.

Last edited:
Thank you guys for the good work you are doing.
I am a fortunate dv2017 winner with CN - AF000036XXX. However I have some concerns which I am hoping you will give guidance on:

1. Am a married female. My birth cert, national identification document and 12-year education cert indicates two given names i.e BETTY MINTO. These three documents does not indicate whether the names are surnames , middle or first. The documents just call it the full names. When I was filling the eDV, I filled first name as BETTY and middle name as MINTO, I checked no last name (NLN). I did not check the passport when filling in the eDV. 1NL shows correctly Dear BETTY MINTO NLN. Now the issue comes in with my passport issued in 2014. The passport guys placed my surname as MINTO and given names as BETTY. DS260 requires I fill in names separately i.e surname and given names. If I fill in as it is in my passport, will it not conflict with the eDV application details given that my passport indicates surname as MINTO and my 1NL says NLN. Kindly advise.

2. I am currently doing a Masters Course. My education certificates for undergraduate and professional has my father's surname as my last name i.e certs names are BETTY MINTO KAYA where KAYA is my father's name. I understand I just need an affidavit and these can be addressed. What's your take? Can I request the colleges to remove my father's name and issue duplicate certificates? Can I just add my father's name in the passport to match the certificates? Will the variance in my passport and my certificates give me issues when looking for a job in the US or even furthering my studies? What is your advise on this?

3. I got married to PETER SERU MONDU . The marriage certificate is for 2008 but I have never included his name in all my documents. We will be immigrating together with our two kids if all goes well. What is your take? Do I need to include his name in my passport? Will not including his name in my passport have any implications in our stay at US of A.? If I include his name in my passport, will this complicate our chances of being issued with a visa? Naturally I am supposed to inherit the MONDU name from my hubby which I have not done. Kindly advise?

4. Applying for passport for the kids. Can we just put their two names (no surname) as they are in the birth certificate and as they were in the eDV? or do we add father's name as surname? and if we add, can the names in the DS260 not differ with the names registered in the eDV and jeopardies our getting a visa? Kindy help please

Thanks a lot for your time and valuable advise.

Yay! I won! Congrats to all the other winners! :D

My case number is 2017OC000004xx. When do you guys think my interview will be? I'm currently living in Canada so it is defaulting my interview location to be Montreal, however I will going back to Australia from mid-Dec 2016 to April 2017, and then returning to Canada. I am hoping my interview will be scheduled early so I can attend it in Canada before I go to Australia. Does anyone know how hard/easy it will be to change my interview date and location after it has been set up?

Cheers!

I advise you to read the official instructions as well as forums. Forums are helpful,but following the official instuctions is what will get you a visa. The official instructions are linked from your selection letter. Read them thoroughly. Don't just rely on forums.

https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/fees/reciprocity-by-country/CY.html ..I'm not sure if this link will take you directly to the correct section, if not choose "other records" from the list on the left hand side.

Unfortunately - unless you interview in Nicosia - it looks like you will be placed on AP given the guideline for other embassies to consult with them in individual cases of people who have lived in Turkish- controlled Cyprus.
The Only Problem Is That I Don't Think I will Be able to Do The Interview In Nicosia As I don't have A Shengen Visa(which they require as they are the official consulate of Cyprus ).What I Have Is That Of TRNC(Northern Cyprus Student Permit.)

And I Have seeb the link You Have Included and I haven't found any thing that is related with TRNC!!

ok After Looking for A While I came Across this statement in the link you gave me!!it goes like

"Passports: The "Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus" is not considered a "competent authority" that can issue a document deemed valid for passport purposes"

So Does this mean even if i have a valid police/criminal certificate, it doesn't mean anything??

My case number is 2017OC000004xx. When do you guys think my interview will be? I'm currently living in Canada so it is defaulting my interview location to be Montreal, however I will going back to Australia from mid-Dec 2016 to April 2017, and then returning to Canada. I am hoping my interview will be scheduled early so I can attend it in Canada before I go to Australia. Does anyone know how hard/easy it will be to change my interview date and location after it has been set up?

Cheers!

Your CN could become current anytime between Oct and Dec - it's really too early for us to tell.

Rescheduling date and location after the interview has been scheduled might be tough. Once KCC schedules the interview, they'll have nothing to do with the case again. Change of venue will have to be arranged by you with the 2 embassies involved - you'll need to contact the new embassy to find out if they're willing to take your case. If they respond in the affirmative, you'll then contact the current embassy and request to transfer your case file to the new one.

The current embassy is not obligated to respond immediately, the transfer could be done within a couple of days or several months down the road. And even if the transfer happens immediately, there's no guarantee the new embassy will schedule a new interview date for when you'll be in the country.

My suggestion is be prepared for the possibility of not traveling as planned in Dec. The hassle of trying to transfer the case is not worth it IMO.

Hello
I've been selected for dv 2017 from ethio. But Im having this confusion in the ds 260 form regarding the question ' have I ever been to the us?' Coz I've been to the US when I was like 1 but I don't have any supporting data. So If I answer yes then I don't know if I was issued a visa and this might lead to other process. N if I answer no, they might have the record. So any suggestions

Hello
I've been selected for dv 2017 from ethio. But Im having this confusion in the ds 260 form regarding the question ' have I ever been to the us?' Coz I've been to the US when I was like 1 but I don't have any supporting data. So If I answer yes then I don't know if I was issued a visa and this might lead to other process. N if I answer no, they might have the record. So any suggestions

Answer yes. Explain in the interview if asked.

Reactions: myk
So should I say that I was issued a visa coz my mother was the one who was issued, I didn't even had a passport
Sure. Do that. In reality - they won't care. You probably didn't do too much at one year old...

And I Have seeb the link You Have Included and I haven't found any thing that is related with TRNC!!

There is a whole page on it. From the link I gave you and the section I told you to click on. Seeing as you couldn't find it even so, I have reproduced it below. It gives numbers to contact for all the civil documents. Furthermore
I suggest you contact the embassy in Nicosia and ask them for advice, given that wherever you do the interview will have to refer back to them before issuing a visa. (Incidentally other people do sometimes have to get visas to travel to countries where they are doing interviews - you having to get a Schengen visa would not be the only case. ) Anyway I know you want to do the interview in Addis, but I really suggest you contact Nicosia to ensure that whatever they tell Addis you need, you will have. Otherwise, you risk further delays - potentially running out of time - or possibly denial, depending what you do or don't provide and how patient Addis is to get what Nicosia tells them they need.

Reproduced direct from the links provided earlier - I had to remove some numbers to meet forum rules for posting:

Records originating from the area of Cyprus under Turkish-Cypriot administration

Since July 1974, civil records for the Districts of Kyrenia and Famagusta have been under Turkish-Cypriot administration. The Republic of Cyprus cannot issue birth, death, civil marriage or divorce certificates for these districts unless a new registration is made in the Republic of Cyprus. Republic of Cyprus police certificates are also not available for periods of residence in the Turkish-Cypriot-administered area.

Posts should contact the United States Embassy in Nicosia for assistance in individual cases involving an applicant who has lived in the Turkish-Cypriot-administered areas of Cyprus.

Administrative offices in the area administered by Turkish Cypriots:

Birth Certificates: Contact the Girne or Lefkosa offices.

Divorce Certificates: Contact the family court at +....

Death Certificates: Contact the Girne or Lefkosa offices.

Police/ Prison Records: Contact the Main Courthouse in Lefkosa at ...

Court Records: Contact the court registrar at ...

Military Records: Contact the Lefkosa ASAL SUBE at ...

There is a whole page on it. From the link I gave you and the section I told you to click on. Seeing as you couldn't find it even so, I have reproduced it below. It gives numbers to contact for all the civil documents. Furthermore
I suggest you contact the embassy in Nicosia and ask them for advice, given that wherever you do the interview will have to refer back to them before issuing a visa. (Incidentally other people do sometimes have to get visas to travel to countries where they are doing interviews - you having to get a Schengen visa would not be the only case. ) Anyway I know you want to do the interview in Addis, but I really suggest you contact Nicosia to ensure that whatever they tell Addis you need, you will have. Otherwise, you risk further delays - potentially running out of time - or possibly denial, depending what you do or don't provide and how patient Addis is to get what Nicosia tells them they need.

Reproduced direct from the links provided earlier - I had to remove some numbers to meet forum rules for posting:

Records originating from the area of Cyprus under Turkish-Cypriot administration

Since July 1974, civil records for the Districts of Kyrenia and Famagusta have been under Turkish-Cypriot administration. The Republic of Cyprus cannot issue birth, death, civil marriage or divorce certificates for these districts unless a new registration is made in the Republic of Cyprus. Republic of Cyprus police certificates are also not available for periods of residence in the Turkish-Cypriot-administered area.

Posts should contact the United States Embassy in Nicosia for assistance in individual cases involving an applicant who has lived in the Turkish-Cypriot-administered areas of Cyprus.

Administrative offices in the area administered by Turkish Cypriots:

Birth Certificates: Contact the Girne or Lefkosa offices.

Divorce Certificates: Contact the family court at +....

Death Certificates: Contact the Girne or Lefkosa offices.

Police/ Prison Records: Contact the Main Courthouse in Lefkosa at ...

Court Records: Contact the court registrar at ...

Military Records: Contact the Lefkosa ASAL SUBE at ...
Ok Thank you

Cheers!

Congrats :) In regards to your interview, I cant say exactly as I am not sure. Best guess would be to go off historical data (found HERE) could be November/December this year. So there is a small chance (hard to say) that it may be scheduled before you even leave for Aus

I just filled out my DS260 and you are able to select where you want to interview