• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 AOS Only

Hello everyone, my case number is EU164xx. Perhaps to be current in February. I have already submitted my DS260 form and stated that I would like to do AOS. My husband and I are in the US on different types of visas. I am considering returning to my home country and switching to CP. Would that be possible to do? Can I, as the principal applicant file for CP and my husband do AOS in the US?

Hello everyone, my case number is EU164xx. Perhaps to be current in February. I have already submitted my DS260 form and stated that I would like to do AOS. My husband and I are in the US on different types of visas. I am considering returning to my home country and switching to CP. Would that be possible to do? Can I, as the principal applicant file for CP and my husband do AOS in the US?

Yes you may switch to CP, however KCC will probably need about 3-4 months to process your case (once you switch over to CP) before scheduling your appointment with an applicable embassy.

If the plan is for your husband to process AOS while you process CP, you may be introducing some unnecessary complications to the process. In order for your husband to file AOS, you'll need to complete your CP and return back to the US before your husband can send in his AOS package.

My suggestion is you both go home and process CP together, or process AOS together if your current status enables that.

Yes you may switch to CP, however KCC will probably need about 3-4 months to process your case (once you switch over to CP) before scheduling your appointment with an applicable embassy.

If the plan is for your husband to process AOS while you process CP, you may be introducing some unnecessary complications to the process. In order for your husband to file AOS, you'll need to complete your CP and return back to the US before your husband can send in his AOS package.

My suggestion is you both go home and process CP together, or process AOS together if your current status enables that.

Thank you @Sm1smom for the response. I am trying to figure out so that we can both do AOS together as you said. However, if cannot, do you happen to know if my husband would need to complete his AOS before October 2017?

Hi Everyone,
My question is about sponsor. i have a friend who is a partner for software company , he is ok for to be a sponsor for me but his partner didnt do tax return last 2 years and he has some issue. His income over 100 grand yearly. But i dont know is it a good way to use his papers for sponsor or not.

Thank you @Sm1smom for the response. I am trying to figure out so that we can both do AOS together as you said. However, if cannot, do you happen to know if my husband would need to complete his AOS before October 2017?

Yes he would, if he is to get a DV-based green card. Otherwise you will need to sponsor him as a spouse of a permanent resident if it is after Sept 30.

Yep, the DV based AOS petition must be approved by COB Sept 30th.

Hi Everyone,
My question is about sponsor. i have a friend who is a partner for software company , he is ok for to be a sponsor for me but his partner didnt do tax return last 2 years and he has some issue. His income over 100 grand yearly. But i dont know is it a good way to use his papers for sponsor or not.

USCIS isn't going to be concerned about your sponsor's business partner and his tax issues.

1) I have submitted the certified translation of HS transcript & birth certificate with the I-465. Do we need to bring the translations again, or can we just go with the originals, since the officers should supposedly have the translations?!

2) I am quite worried about the "public charge" part. Would it be too late to bring an affidavit of support to the interview, without having sent it with the I-485? And, would it be ok if the sponsor doesn't have a job? She is retired, but very well-off.

Last edited:
1) I have submitted the certified translation of HS transcript & birth certificate with the I-465. Do we need to bring the translations again, or can we just go with the originals, since the officers should supposedly have the translations?!

2) I am quite worried about the "public charge" part. Would it be too late to bring an affidavit of support to the interview, without having sent it with the I-485? And, would it be ok if the sponsor doesn't have a job? She is retired, but very well-off.

For 1), the timeline seems to mention only submitting. Once you did that, there is no need to bring to the interview. Is that the correct interpretation?

For 2), I just read that it should have been sent with the pack. And in case she has 0 income, assets 5x the minimum income for her household should be enough. But still, is it too late?

Hi Lucky17
Got exactly the same. We had our bio the 22nd and received 2 days after our interview later dated from 21st of November.

Hi @lucky17 and @MFE84... Just curious... Where are your FO?? Mine is Los Angeles (kind of busy office) but everything is going faster than I thought. Maybe they are scheduling the DV selectees faster than years before. :)

For 1), the timeline seems to mention only submitting. Once you did that, there is no need to bring to the interview. Is that the correct interpretation?

For 2), I just read that it should have been sent with the pack. And in case she has 0 income, assets 5x the minimum income for her household should be enough. But still, is it too late?

1. No that is not correct. You submit the original and take a copy of it with you to the interview. The expectation is for one to bring all the (with the exception of the USCIS forms, of course) documents they've already submitted with their package

2. It's not too late. One can always take the affidavit of support along to the interview.

1. Yes that is the receipt.

2. I already told you the 2NL takes between 2 weeks to 2months (much longer in a few cases). Notwithstanding, you may submit your AOS package as is (without the 2NL) or wait for it. It's absence will not negatively impact your petition.

Hi Sm1smom,

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Two questions:

1. Concerning the "absence of 2NL will not negatively impact your petition", is there any supporting information? If 2NL isn't required, why does the google spreadsheet suggest doing so?

2. I read from somewhere that applicants can apply for FBI check to speed up the application process. Have you heard of it and what's your opinion about it?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Last edited:
1. No that is not correct. You submit the original and take a copy of it with you to the interview. The expectation is for one to bring all the (with the exception of the USCIS forms, of course) documents they've already submitted with their package

2. It's not too late. One can always take the affidavit of support along to the interview.

Sorry to belabor, but what will the FO/USCIS do with the copies of the official translations? I have taken clear pictures of the latter, and could print them out; however, it would be discernable that those are pictures, and not mere copies. Imho, the purpose of a clearly printed picture or a copy is the same, but I do not know what USCIS' expectations are. Would you advise me to find some local translators and do it again?

Hi Sm1smom,

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Two questions:

1. Concerning the "absence of 2NL will not negatively impact your petition", is there any supporting information? If 2NL isn't required, why does the google spreadsheet suggest doing so?

2. I read from somewhere that applicants can apply for FBI check to speed up the application process. Have you heard of it and what's your opinion about it?

Thanks a lot for your help!

1. The 'supporting information' is based on my experience of the numerous DV based AOS applicants I've seen through the process.
- The AOS process spreadsheet which I own by the way contains a list of suggested documents considered pertinent based on my personal experience and those of others.
- USCIS has no comprehensive required list I know of.
- Some IOs have been known to request for the 2NL in the past.
- Petitioners who did not submit the DS260 form, hence no 2NL, have been known to be approved.
--- Get the drift now or should I continue?

2. Not something I would recommend and I don't know of any immigration lawyer that's ever recommended that as a matter of fact.

Sorry to belabor, but what will the FO/USCIS do with the copies of the official translations? I have taken clear pictures of the latter, and could print them out; however, it would be discernable that those are pictures, and not mere copies. Imho, the purpose of a clearly printed picture or a copy is the same, but I do not know what USCIS' expectations are. Would you advise me to find some local translators and do it again?

It's not a matter of what USCIS will do with the copies of the documents already submitted. It's more to do with being prepared and having on hand everything and anything that could be asked for at the time of the interview, the absence of which could prevent a case that could have been approved on the spot from being approved.

FYI submitted documents could turn out to be missing by the time of the interview. Yes USCIS has been known to misplace documents, not unusual and in this case a picture version will clearly not be acceptable.

Hi guys, I have 2 questions for you if you can help :

1/ Can we send our package when our CN fall under the Advance notification of the current bulletin or the Advance notification of the upcomming bulletin published. For exemple, now we can see both November and the upcomming december bulletin. Do i need to check that my CN fall under the Advance notification of november or december bulletin to try the early filling.

2/ I see a lot of talks about INFOPASS, but I don't see anything about it in the awesome spreadsheet you created guys. Can we use INFOPASS to get an early interview ?

I'm AF35XXX, look like this year the numbers are faster for Africa, so getting prepared :)

Thanks for the awesome job done guys

Hi guys, I have 2 questions for you if you can help :

1/ Can we send our package when our CN fall under the Advance notification of the current bulletin or the Advance notification of the upcomming bulletin published. For exemple, now we can see both November and the upcomming december bulletin. Do i need to check that my CN fall under the Advance notification of november or december bulletin to try the early filling.

2/ I see a lot of talks about INFOPASS, but I don't see anything about it in the awesome spreadsheet you created guys. Can we use INFOPASS to get an early interview ?

I'm AF35XXX, look like this year the numbers are faster for Africa, so getting prepared :)

Thanks for the awesome job done guys

1. Filing prior to the actual month in which your CN is listed as current, be it based on section A of published current bulletin or section B Advanced Notification is all considered early filing. You can file based on either as long as you've taken note of the caution stated on and AOS process spreadsheet. It's your call regarding how comfortable you are with filing early.

2. The spreadsheet doesn't talk about INFOPASS (or the possibility of seeking a congressional assistance or some other methods as a matter of fact) since we don't want to create an assumption that everyone is required to go on an INFOPASS. That information is shared in this forum on as a need basis. INFOPASS is not intended for getting an early interview, your FO schedules your interview based on the workload they're faced with. You can however use an INFOPASS find out the status of your petition to bring it to their attention IF it has been experiencing some unusual delay.

1. Filing prior to the actual month in which your CN is listed as current, be it based on section A of published current bulletin or section B Advanced Notification is all considered early filing. You can file based on either as long as you've taken note of the caution stated on and AOS process spreadsheet. It's your call regarding how comfortable you are with filing early.

2. The spreadsheet doesn't talk about INFOPASS (or the possibility of seeking a congressional assistance or some other methods as a matter of fact) since we don't want to create an assumption that everyone is required to go on an INFOPASS. That information is shared in this forum on as a need basis. INFOPASS is not intended for getting an early interview, your FO schedules your interview based on the workload they're faced with. You can however use an INFOPASS find out the status of your petition to bring it to their attention IF it has been experiencing some unusual delay.

Thank you Sm1smom for the precision, it make total sense. Do you have an idea or an estimation of the chances to get that early filling refused ? 10% maybe ?