• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 Winners Meet Here

You can't be sure. It's up to the CO, as you say. A sinilar case just got denied in Johannesburg - I believe incorrectly, but I'm not the one issuing the visas. All you can do is take a copy of the FAM section and hope for the best.

Dear moderator and experts,
I have a concern and questions about which I need to be certain concerning my case.
I asked about it on this forum early this year,but didn't get a clear answer. This is about the country of chargeability.
When entering the inital DV entry form, I did a mistake and choose Uganda as my country of chargeability(which is instead my country of residence) instead of Cameroon which is my country of birth and of nationality. Since the dicision to disqualify or qualify a candidate by issuing or not the visa is in the power of the CO, I am really worried if the CO will understand that I had no intention to fraud.
I read that the both countries are in the same geoggraphic region and shouldn't normally be an issue. I also read that if the visa is issued in that case,another number should be allocated with the correct country of chargeability and under the number of visas allocated to the said country.
Now these are my questions:
1.How can I be sure that the CO will consider that as a mistake and not a desire to take advantage of the program considering the law that states that when the country is in the same geo.area it shouldn't be disqualifying.
2. Considering the 9FAM502.6, sect.a number3, if my case is considered and a new visa number allocated to my case using the correct country of chargeability,will this changes affect the delay of the process of my case?will the KCC have to send everything to the Us embassy in Cameroon? I mean how can this change affect the delays of my case?
3. Do you think that I need to write to the KCC to explain the mistake so that it will be considered before the interview?
4.What exactely should I know and can I do to proof the mistake wasn't willingly?
Looking forward,
Thanks

You have had a clear answer on this before - and now Susie has answer clearly for a second time.

Thanks Susie and Britsimon. You are right Britsimon,it was answered already. I am just scared to take the risk and be disapointed at the end. I'm getting closer and very afraid to be denied.It is a big financial investment.
Can you tell me please Susie, did that person in johanesburg take the FAM along with him to the interview?

Thanks Susie and Britsimon. You are right Britsimon,it was answered already. I am just scared to take the risk and be disapointed at the end. I'm getting closer and very afraid to be denied.It is a big financial investment.
Can you tell me please Susie, did that person in johanesburg take the FAM along with him to the interview?

OK, let me explain this issue and the areas of risk.

The guidance to the COs on errors in country of chargeability is this:

"If the entrant chooses the wrong country of chargeability at the time of the initial entry, the error will generally be disqualifying. However, if a DV applicant chooses a country of chargeability during DV registration that is within the same geographic region (one of the six) as the correct country of chargeability, and you determine that the applicant gained no benefit from his or her error, and there are no fraud concerns,, you may continue processing the application using the correct country of chargeability in IVO"

So - there are THREE aspects that allow the CO to "forgive" this mistake.
1. That the two countries are in the same region.
2. That the applicant gained no benefit from the mistake
3. That there are no fraud concerns.

So - you are OK on point 1 - both countries are in the same region.

For point 2 you have a problem. Cameroon has so many entries that they get more selectees than is considered "sensible". For that reason Cameroonians (along with a few other countries) are "limited" in the draw - meaning once a certain number of principal winners are selected (about 2000 - 2200 in DV2016), remaining Cameroonian winning cases are "deselected". Those cases are never notified as being selected. What that means is that a Cameroonian case has a lower chance of selection than a Ugandan case. Therefore you DID gain a benefit through your mistake. Now - I am not certain that every CO would understand that (because it is quite technical and "picky"), but it is possibly the reason that the JHB case Susie mentioned was disqualified.

For point 3. That may be a problem if the CO believes you were trying to gain an advantage.

So - no one can tell you there is no risk. No one can tell you the percentage of risk. The ONLY way to know for sure is to sit in front of the CO. So - you have to decide whether that is a worthwhile gamble or not.

He didn't - but I have also realised in retrospect that the denial was justified because the country he should have charged to is limited, so he did actually have an advantage by choosing the wrong country, and this was the reason he was given for denial (advantage, not just wrong country).

Ok. Thanks a bunch. I clearly understand the risks and they seem to be higher than chances to see the mistake overlooked. Since there is no way to personnaly convince the CO that I didn't want to take advantage of anything. 1/3 chances if we consider Britsimon's explanations.
However, I will print the FAM and take it along at the interview,praying for God's grace to be my portion to be issued despite the risks. I surender all in God's hands.

You go back in to your DS260. It will show "completed". Click that work (link) and you will see a read only version of your DS260. Scroll through each page, and at the end you can see the confirmation page again.
Thanx britsimon I got the confirmation page and printed it then signed out let me hope it won't cause any thing

Ok. Thanks a bunch. I clearly understand the risks and they seem to be higher than chances to see the mistake overlooked. Since there is no way to personnaly convince the CO that I didn't want to take advantage of anything. 1/3 chances if we consider Britsimon's explanations.
However, I will print the FAM and take it along at the interview,praying for God's grace to be my portion to be issued despite the risks. I surender all in God's hands.

This was specifically addressed in the case I mentioned - they said to the guy that even though it was unintended he still had an advantage so they could not issue the visa. I can't copy and paste the (emailed) response for some reason but they did address this. Different consulate of course.

This was specifically addressed in the case I mentioned - they said to the guy that even though it was unintended he still had an advantage so they could not issue the visa. I can't copy and paste the (emailed) response for some reason but they did address this. Different consulate of course.
Ok Susie.thanks. I agree with you the consulate is not the same. If I may just ask can u tell me which other coyntries are limited apart from Cameroon? I mean in AF region.

Ok Susie.thanks. I agree with you the consulate is not the same. If I may just ask can u tell me which other coyntries are limited apart from Cameroon? I mean in AF region.

Simon may correct me, this is a guess rather than knowing for a fact, but as far as I know, for DV2016 (it can change year to year), Cameroon, DRC, Ethiopia, Egypt, Ghana, Liberia, Sudan.

Simon may correct me, this is a guess rather than knowing for a fact, but as far as I know, for DV2016 (it can change year to year), Cameroon, DRC, Ethiopia, Egypt, Ghana, Liberia, Sudan.

That's a pretty good guess - good enough.

You can roughly assume that any country with over about 200K entries is a likely limited country, although it depends also on fraud disqualifications, derivative rates and so on. Plus - we can only base the assumption on 2015 entry and 2016 selection numbers.

Hello everyone, I am looking for advise. I am a South African living in the states on a F1 visa and I was selected for DV 2016 with my number being AF53xxx. My number will be current in August and this is causing me to wonder what will be the best route for me to get approved CP or AOS. I can easily get back to South Africa and go the CP route plus I have all the documentation. Does anybody have any thoughts on this?

How long does it take KCC to schedule an appointment if I complete my DS260?
Can I submit my DS260 before my number becomes current?

Thank you in advance.

Hello everyone, I am looking for advise. I am a South African living in the states on a F1 visa and I was selected for DV 2016 with my number being AF53xxx. My number will be current in August and this is causing me to wonder what will be the best route for me to get approved CP or AOS. I can easily get back to South Africa and go the CP route plus I have all the documentation. Does anybody have any thoughts on this?

How long does it take KCC to schedule an appointment if I complete my DS260?
Can I submit my DS260 before my number becomes current?

Thank you in advance.

Oh dear. If you wanted to do CP, you should have submitted the DS form at least a couple of months ago - KCC is right now scheduling August interviews, if it hasn't completed the schedule already - and you need to have your DS processed by them before they schedule interviews. They only do one scheduling round a month and it takes anywhere from 2-4 months to process the DS form. So it seems at this point you've pretty much effectively chosen AOS as your route... Suggest you go to the AOS thread and read it carefully.

By the way,the DV instructions linked from your letter do tell CP applicants to submit the DS260 as soon as possible- I'm not sure why you thought you might need to wait for the number to be current?

Oh dear. If you wanted to do CP, you should have submitted the DS form at least a couple of months ago - KCC is right now scheduling August interviews, if it hasn't completed the schedule already - and you need to have your DS processed by them before they schedule interviews. They only do one scheduling round a month and it takes anywhere from 2-4 months to process the DS form. So it seems at this point you've pretty much effectively chosen AOS as your route... Suggest you go to the AOS thread and read it carefully.

By the way,the DV instructions linked from your letter do tell CP applicants to submit the DS260 as soon as possible- I'm not sure why you thought you might need to wait for the number to be current?

Thank you very much for your answer SusieQQQ. I wish that I had a logical answer to why I didn't fill it, I kind of lost hope looking at the Bulletin and seeing my number being that high and doing the math and listening to an immigration lawyer. I'll go ahead and submit the ds260 as after reading the AOS thread I see you need it for AOS as well.

Do you think there is even a slimmest of chances that AOS will work this late?

Thank you very much for your answer SusieQQQ. I wish that I had a logical answer to why I didn't fill it, I kind of lost hope looking at the Bulletin and seeing my number being that high and doing the math and listening to an immigration lawyer. I'll go ahead and submit the ds260 as after reading the AOS thread I see you need it for AOS as well.

Do you think there is even a slimmest of chances that AOS will work this late?

Yes of course, in the past even people current in September have been fine. You do need to get moving - but as you say you have all the docs that should be fine. Carefully go through the spreadsheet linked in the first post, file for AOS ASAP (bearing in mind the slim chance it will be rejected, read the stuff about early filing) and post any questions about the process in that thread (after reading the spreadsheet ;) ) - sm1smom will be your new best friend. And don't listen to any more lawyers. Good luck!

Hi all!
I have a question about my green card (plastic one). I paid my uscis fee on March 12 and entered to the USA on April 1. Left USA April 16, but my GC is not yet produced. It's smth to worry? Thank you.

Hi all!
I have a question about my green card (plastic one). I paid my uscis fee on March 12 and entered to the USA on April 1. Left USA April 16, but my GC is not yet produced. It's smth to worry? Thank you.

GC production seems to be taking 2-3 months at the moment so it's normal. (Calculate production time from date of entry.)

Hello moderators,
I have a friend of mine who intends to visit a relative who resides in London while on his way to the US after getting the visa. Is it allowed for the individual to stay for some few days in the UK before he continues to his final destination i.e the US? Taking into consideration that the visa will still have several months validity......we are from Kenya.
Many regards.

Hello moderators,
I have a friend of mine who intends to visit a relative who resides in London while on his way to the US after getting the visa. Is it allowed for the individual to stay for some few days in the UK before he continues to his final destination i.e the US? Taking into consideration that the visa will still have several months validity......we are from Kenya.
Many regards.

The US only cares that he enters the US before his visa expires. Not where people stop along the way (well, as long as it is not a country on the terrorism watchlist, anyway.) . If I'm not mistaken, Kenyans need visas to visit the UK so he will need to get a visit visa from the UK to be able to leave the airport and visit his friend. (If you don't leave the airport, having a US visa or immigrant visa package exempts you from the requirement for a UK transit visa.)