• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 Winners Meet Here

Hello
I am one of the winner from last year and I will be entering the U.S. in the next days.
I have 2 questions.
After receiving the visa they gave me a big file and with instructions to keep it sealed.
The problem is I mistakenly opened the file . How is that gonna affect me in the airport with immigration officer and what should I do.

Second question is I wanna change the address in the U.S. Of where you want the green card to be send. Can I do this in the airport!?
Thanks in advance

Hello
I am one of the winner from last year and I will be entering the U.S. in the next days.
I have 2 questions.
After receiving the visa they gave me a big file and with instructions to keep it sealed.
The problem is I mistakenly opened the file . How is that gonna affect me in the airport with immigration officer and what should I do.

Second question is I wanna change the address in the U.S. Of where you want the green card to be send. Can I do this in the airport!?
Thanks in advance

You need to contact your embassy right away and explain to them you've opened the envelope, they may arrange for you to have another sealed envelope. I do not think you can be processed at the POE with the envelope already opened by you - that's highly frowned upon! You need to fix that problem before departing for the US.

Hello
I have 2 questions.

Thanks in advance

Contact your embassy ASAP about the mistaken file opening. Yes this can cause problems on entry. You may have to delay your trip.

Yes you can change the address for the green card at the airport.

Contact your embassy ASAP about the mistaken file opening. Yes this can cause problems on entry. You may have to delay your trip.

Yes you can change the address for the green card at the airport.

Looks like it's a big deal opening that envelope
I will contact the embassy in the morning hoping that won't affect the visa process because of the end of the fiscal year of 2015

Really appreciate your help Susie and moms

I will contact the embassy in the morning hoping that won't affect the visa process because of the end of the fiscal year of 2015

Yes, opening the envelope is a big deal. That's why they tell people to not open the envelope when it's handed over to them, in addition to the embassy stamping the envelope with wordings such as (or some other similar wordings):

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
TO BE OPENED ONLY BY A U.S. IMMIGRATION OR PUBLIC HEALTH SERVICE OFFICER. THIS IS YOUR VISA. IT MUST BE SURRENDERED TO THE U.S.
IMMIGRATION OFFICER AT A PORT OF ENTRY INTO THE UNITED STATES. DO NOT PACK IT; IT MUST BE HAND-CARRIED

Yes it is, because the envelope is actually part of your immigrant visa. As the original visa has already been issued it shouldn't be a problem that FY2015 has ended.

Yes, opening the envelope is a big deal. That's why they tell people to not open the envelope when it's handed over to them, in addition to the embassy stamping the envelope with wordings such as (or some other similar wordings):

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
TO BE OPENED ONLY BY A U.S. IMMIGRATION OR PUBLIC HEALTH SERVICE OFFICER. THIS IS YOUR VISA. IT MUST BE SURRENDERED TO THE U.S.
IMMIGRATION OFFICER AT A PORT OF ENTRY INTO THE UNITED STATES. DO NOT PACK IT; IT MUST BE HAND-CARRIED

I contacted the embassy and after transfer from an officer to another I talked to an officer who was very upset and kept yelling that I thought he would punch me through the phone and instruct me to return the passport and and the file and send it back.
I will do that but i wonder could that revoke the visa. And should I attach an apology letter explaining that it was inadvertent accident.

I contacted the embassy and after transfer from an officer to another I talked to an officer who was very upset and kept yelling that I thought he would punch me through the phone and instruct me to return the passport and and the file and send it back.
I will do that but i wonder could that revoke the visa. And should I attach an apology letter explaining that it was inadvertent accident.

I'm not surprised by the reaction, opening the envelope was a major blunder. I don't think it could possibly lead to the visa being revoked, however attaching a note apologizing and explaining how it inadvertently got opened may not be a bad idea.

I'm not surprised by the reaction, opening the envelope was a major blunder. I don't think it could possibly lead to the visa being revoked, however attaching a note apologizing and explaining how it inadvertently got opened may not be a bad idea.

Will thank you for your help, I am glad that I asked in the forums wondering what could happen if I traveled all the way with an opened envelope.
I am already writing the letter hope it will ease the process .

Sorry to hear the guy yelled at you, that sounds very unprofessional. But good to hear it is getting dealt with.

Hi, I have SA2XX but have not received any interview date yet, I sent my DS-260 in August 9. Should I worry? How I will receive the interview date? by email? checking the DS-260 application? Even if I was born in SA I live in Canada right now, if that is important. Thanks in advance.

Hi, I have SA2XX but have not received any interview date yet, I sent my DS-260 in August 9. Should I worry? How I will receive the interview date? by email? checking the DS-260 application? Even if I was born in SA I live in Canada right now, if that is important. Thanks in advance.

You shouldn't worry. Your DS260 was submitted late - hence the delay - I doubt you will get a January interview. Maybe February. However, that is not going to cause issues. So - relax and be patient.

I have a situation: Went for interview as '16 winner about a month ago. CO congratulated me and my family. I was told to pick up visa and package 3 weeks after. I went and was told our package is not yet ready due to system issue but that the package is done for my family. I was asked to go and will receive a call from them. A week later, I called and CO told me over the phone that our package and visa is printed that I will be called. I waited for the call anxiously but did not get the call and went in to check in person myself. I was told that all in my family has their status ready for printing but mine as the principal was at one stage below my family (wife and kids). The staff said its more for mine to be printed as the principal and all the others will be printed and submitted. When asked why such, I was told its in Washington and its their process and cant determine when I will be called but I am to wait for their call.
Such waiting are frustrating - I cant sleep waiting for the said call.
Could anyone help me to understand why this is so? Has anyone with such experience by either hearing or gone through or also in such state?
Any advise for me please?
Anxious winner.
Oh God help me out!!!!

Dear experts, my wife and I submitted our DS 260 form on August 1, 2015 and the receipt was confirmed. She is the Principal applicant and had hoped to be through with Visa interview by now and so every other day she is becoming more concerned as we await the email with interview date.

Here is our case number 2016AF00006xxx, please advise when it's likely to be current. How long are we likely to have between receipt of email and interview date?

Last edited:
Dear experts, my wife and I submitted our DS 260 form on August 1, 2015 and the receipt was confirmed. She is the Principal applicant and had hoped to be through with Visa interview by now and so every other day she is becoming more concerned as we await the email with interview date.

Here is our case number 2016AF00006xxx, please advise when it's likely to be current. How long are we likely to have between receipt of email and interview date?

Well, the number is curent already but she submitted the DS260 late, hence the delay. It's possible that it is not even finished processing yet, 3-4 months seems the norm. Assuming you make it into the scheduling round that takes place in early December, you might expect a February interview.

They only do scheduling once a month so no need to wait every day, check here for when the interview notices go out each month. Usually about 6 weeks between notification and interview. Also be sure to check the ESC page not just wait for email.

Well, the number is curent already but she submitted the DS260 late, hence the delay. It's possible that it is not even finished processing yet, 3-4 months seems the norm. Assuming you make it into the scheduling round that takes place in early December, you might expect a February interview.

They only do scheduling once a month so no need to wait every day, check here for when the interview notices go out each month. Usually about 6 weeks between notification and interview. Also be sure to check the ESC page not just wait for email.

Based on progress so far, that submission date might just squeeze in to the next batch of interviews (2NL in 3 weeks, interview in January). However, a February interview (2NL at the end of December) is more likely.

Based on progress so far, that submission date might just squeeze in to the next batch of interviews (2NL in 3 weeks, interview in January). However, a February interview (2NL at the end of December) is more likely.
Thank you SusieQQQ and Super Moderator Britsimon for your invaluable information, kind of clears the cloud in thought.

Hi:
i am a DV2016 winner cse number 2016AF00001xxx i passed my interview first week of October 2015 all passed fine
consular give me a paper for instruction to get my passport from ARAMEX after 7 days from interview after many calls to
ARAMEX no news about my passport. after 15 days after interviews i sent email to consulate asking about my case
that was their answer :
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your e-mail inquiry. The case is still under an administrative review. Most administrative processing
is resolved within 60 days of the visa interview, but the timing can vary based on the individual circumstances of each case.
The Department of State is continuously working to improve processing and expedite visas and we appreciate your patience.

You will be notified once the administrative review is done.

Kind Regards,

today is 30 days of waiting i met someone who passed interview after me same day have same problem
many people who passed interview after my date got their passport in 7 days Any suggestion?

I entered the US this week. How do i get my social security number? Do i have to apply or should i just wait for it in the mail? In the DS260 I indicated that I wanted it processed.
Your response will be much appreciated.