• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 Winners Meet Here

Whatever you do, @CHME, make sure you are in charge. Don't rely on a lawyer - however expert in DV they claim to be - to take responsibility.

Make sure your DS260 is accurate. Make sure your paperwork is in order. That's about it. And make sure that either you or your lawyer know when your case has been called for interview and what you need to do. Our aim on the forum is to make sure that every winner gets their GC. It's a concern that your expert lawyer has provided inaccurate information but it might have been a bad day on their part (and we all have bad days).

Our experts here like @Sm1smom, @Britsimon, and @SusieQQQ, speak from the perspective of having seen many DVers disappointed by the performances of their expert and highly qualified DV lawyers. It's crushing to hear of someone missing out because of advice from their lawyer which proved to be incorrect.

Thank you @EmilyW. But you see how wrong things may go in a forum? My lawyer never gave me false or inaccurate information. I thought they were inaccurate but they weren't. They were correct and clear. But, no matter what, I really appreciate your answer.

If it makes you feel better to use a lawyer, by all means go for it. However we get our GCs, the aim is to get one!

This forum is great though so don't regret joining. You'll learn so much here.

Whatever you do, @CHME, make sure you are in charge. Don't rely on a lawyer - however expert in DV they claim to be - to take responsibility.

Make sure your DS260 is accurate. Make sure your paperwork is in order. That's about it. And make sure that either you or your lawyer know when your case has been called for interview and what you need to do. Our aim on the forum is to make sure that every winner gets their GC. It's a concern that your expert lawyer has provided inaccurate information but it might have been a bad day on their part (and we all have bad days).

Our experts here like @Sm1smom, @Britsimon, and @SusieQQQ, speak from the perspective of having seen many DVers disappointed by the performances of their expert and highly qualified DV lawyers. It's crushing to hear of someone missing out because of advice from their lawyer which proved to be incorrect.

Especially since all of us were able to navigate the DV without assistance, given its simplicity.

Emily, that's a great response ... Even if it equates to the same as doing it all yourself ;)

I tried to explain that all we were trying to do was save both money and heartache, and all I got in response was criticism for being skeptical of lawyers on a lawyer-hosted forum... What can I say. You know where we are coming from. I just hope CMHE doesn't learn the lesson the hard way.

@Sm1smom , I hadn't asked my lawyer about ''current''. As far as the other things are concerned, I had asked and I had been given clear answers but I wanted to ask here as well. Unlucky inspiration. I admit it.

Well, IMHO, this:

My number is 21****. I also unlocked my application and resent it in September. I live in Southern Europe. Does anyone have any idea when I am going to be called for the interview? Are they going to notify me soon so that I have enough time to prepare? Thank you for your answers in advance!

and this:

Something else. Do I have to bring along -during the interview- the necessary documents translated in English or their translation isn't necessary?

clearly do not reflect a case of someone who had previously received clear answers prior to posting in the forum. We don't have anything personal against your hiring a lawyer to process your DV selection for you. All we were trying to do was simply encourage you to take charge of the process yourself and not fully rely on the services of your American lawyer, who is based outside of the US, to do everything. This is in view of the fact that DV based CP is rather simple and straight forward; and most lawyers, including US based ones as a matter of fact, don't quite understand the process themselves.

Sassy posts generates sassy responses. You're more than welcome to continue posting questions in the forum, if you so desire. We will help as much as we can, and if you chose to not post again as earlier stated, so be it as well.

Hi to all, and a question to expert advisors, my concern, can a person who has had a customary wedding ceremony registered the customary marriage with the letter from the wife's father,but didn't get a marriage certificate just a certified consent from the marriage department acknowledging the customary marriage,and had a white wedding ceremony in church, and later after 8 years entry the edv lottery as married listed spouse and kids in the entry and Ds260 as well, later after being selected goes to register the marriage has a late declaration of marriage with a date of after dv selection be disqualified at the interview?since the marriage that is recognized in his country where the marriage was registered is the marriage at the marriage department with the marriage officer???

Hi to all, and a question to expert advisors, my concern, can a person who has had a customary wedding ceremony registered the customary marriage with the letter from the wife's father,but didn't get a marriage certificate just a certified consent from the marriage department acknowledging the customary marriage,and had a white wedding ceremony in church, and later after 8 years entry the edv lottery as married listed spouse and kids in the entry and Ds260 as well, later after being selected goes to register the marriage has a late declaration of marriage with a date of after dv selection be disqualified at the interview?since the marriage that is recognized in his country where the marriage was registered is the marriage at the marriage department with the marriage officer???

Usually a customary marriage is perfectly acceptable, you shouldn't have any problems.

Phew! That was a long winded post, had such a hard time going through - it was like reading one very long sentence :rolleyes:.

Question is: does your country, where the customary marriage took place, ordinarily give recognition to customary marriages? If your country does, it shouldn't be a problem with the CO. The certified consent from the marriage department validates the customary marriage in its own. Also since you had a church wedding after the customary wedding, you must have a wedding certificate from the church validating and confirming the marriage as pre-existing, don't you?

Dear moderators,
I understand that there is a 6 months time limit between doing the medicals and arriving in the States, ( a.k.a. activating the visa). Now does the waiting time for the actual green card part is included in those 6 months? I hope this makes sense.
Thank you!

Dear moderators,
I understand that there is a 6 months time limit between doing the medicals and arriving in the States, ( a.k.a. activating the visa). Now does the waiting time for the actual green card part is included in those 6 months? I hope this makes sense.
Thank you!

The visa issued at the end of a successful interview is typically valid for six months (the visa validity period is typically tagged to the validity period of the medical exam which is six months for a medical exam passed without any issue). The receipt of the plastic GC itself depends on (1) date of the GC fee payment and (2) actual date of LPR status activation.

The visa issued at the end of a successful interview is typically valid for six months (the visa validity period is typically tagged to the validity period of the medical exam which is six months for a medical exam passed without any issue). The receipt of the plastic GC itself depends on (1) date of the GC fee payment and (2) actual date of LPR status activation.
Ok, so to make sure I understand it perfectly. If I passed a successful medical exam in mid June, get a successful interview in early November and arrive in the States in early December, I am good. Thank you

Ok, so to make sure I understand it perfectly. If I passed a successful medical exam in mid June, get a successful interview in early November and arrive in the States in early December, I am good. Thank you

You may be fine, but definitely not a good plan. Doing the medical exam 5 months before the interview is not a good idea, it's typically advisable to do the medical a couple of weeks before the interview.

You may be fine, but definitely not a good plan. Doing the medical exam 5 months before the interview is not a good idea, it's typically advisable to do the medical a couple of weeks before the interview.
I understand. Someone misinformed me before I came across this forum. Thank you

Phew! That was a long winded post, had such a hard time going through - it was like reading one very long sentence :rolleyes:.

Question is: does your country, where the customary marriage took place, ordinarily give recognition to customiary marriages? If your country does, it shouldn't be a problem with the CO. The certified consent from the marriage department validates the customary marriage in its own. Also since you had a church wedding after the customary wedding, you must have a wedding certificate from the church validating and confirming the marriage as pre-existing, don't you?
Thanks Sm1smom the considers the customary marriage as the 1st stage for finalizing the marriage, in order to perform the civil wedding ceremony you should pass through the customary marriage or at least have the written consent from the wife's father or responsible but to have the full recognition of the marriage it has to be in the marriage department with the marriage officer.we did not get a marriage certificate from the church.

What country was this? A handful of countries do require a translation even if documents are in the official language (I know of Venezuela and non-English South African documents as two examples), but this info should be available in the country specific information pages on the website or on the relevant embassy website.

Hi Susie, this is in Malaysia. I did check the KL US embassy website.... guess I must have missed it :confused:

upload_2015-10-15_12-59-47.png

Hi Susie, this is in Malaysia. I did check the KL US embassy website.... guess I must have missed it :confused:

View attachment 624

Hm, I just had a quick look both at that website and the links from dvselectee and found nothing about a translation into English being required. Poor form on their part .... They didn't send you any separate info before the interview?

Hm, I just had a quick look both at that website and the links from dvselectee and found nothing about a translation into English being required. Poor form on their part .... They didn't send you any separate info before the interview?

They did send an email - change of interview time - attached with below info:

upload_2015-10-15_15-1-27.png

Hi,have a question, what can happen to anyone who have been granted a dv lottery visa, and changed his mind about travelling to usa, let visa expire and plan to play again in another dv fiscal year? Thanks