• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 Winners Meet Here

Me and my family recently got dv visa and I am the primary applicant. I am planing to go US first and call my family later on(after few months). So is it possible to do like this or all the member should enter US at once?
Thanks in advance for the answer.

The principal applicant can enter before the rest of the family, but ensure that they enter before their visas expire.

Hello everyone... do young children also need SSNs? Just curious.

If you come from a country where you have an identity number...a SSN is basically the same thing, despite its name. It might be assigned by the SSA, but it gets used for many things completely unrelated to social security.

Thanks a lot @SusieQQQ and @Britsimon. I thought that the SSN is required for adults for the purposes of securing an employment .I also thought that the GC takes the function of a national identification document. Now I know. Cheers:)

One last question please... is an affidavit of support for details like missing parent's name im the B.C. be accepted during the interview? The one which is authored by the commissioner of oaths and signed by a lawyer. Thanks

One last question please... is an affidavit of support for details like missing parent's name im the B.C. be accepted during the interview? The one which is authored by the commissioner of oaths and signed by a lawyer. Thanks

What would such an affidavit say? The name is missing. There is a logical and obvious explanation for that. It is a matter of public record. An affidavit won't change that, so what is the point of an affidavit?

What would such an affidavit say? The name is missing. There is a logical and obvious explanation for that. It is a matter of public record. An affidavit won't change that, so what is the point of an affidavit?
Thanks Simon... my father's identification card (ID Card in Kenya) got lost while I was applying for my B.C. (long form ). As such the mother's name is appearing in the B.C. and but the father's name written as XXXX yet I indicated it in the DS 260. I had previously asked the question but i had not included the AoS. Thanks.

Affidavits are seen as "powerful" documents by people in some countries - I just don't see why people need them in this process. The DS260 itself is a legal document. It is witnessed by the CO at the time you make an application, so it is, by itself, an "affidavit" (defined as "a written statement confirmed by oath or affirmation, for use as evidence in court."). So - an affidavit in these circumstances is pointless - in my opinion - but if it makes you feel better then it can't normally harm.

Regarding this specific scenario. The DV process does not depend on your parentage. One reason they ask for the long form (with both parents names) is that if you ever want to sponsor your parents to live in the USA, a paper trail has already been established. So - if you don't plan to bring your parents to live in the USA, that won't ever be an issue. If you do plan on sponsoring your parents the information in your DS260 will be "evidence" of what you claimed at the time of your immigration process. Given the lack of information on your birth cert, you may be challenged to prove your father is indeed your father. You can deal with that if and when that time comes. In the meantime, it doesn't matter.

Affidavits are seen as "powerful" documents by people in some countries - I just don't see why people need them in this process. The DS260 itself is a legal document. It is witnessed by the CO at the time you make an application, so it is, by itself, an "affidavit" (defined as "a written statement confirmed by oath or affirmation, for use as evidence in court."). So - an affidavit in these circumstances is pointless - in my opinion - but if it makes you feel better then it can't normally harm.

Regarding this specific scenario. The DV process does not depend on your parentage. One reason they ask for the long form (with both parents names) is that if you ever want to sponsor your parents to live in the USA, a paper trail has already been established. So - if you don't plan to bring your parents to live in the USA, that won't ever be an issue. If you do plan on sponsoring your parents the information in your DS260 will be "evidence" of what you claimed at the time of your immigration process. Given the lack of information on your birth cert, you may be challenged to prove your father is indeed your father. You can deal with that if and when that time comes. In the meantime, it doesn't matter.
Thanks forthe insightful analysis Simon. Lemme stop worrying much now.

Many people need reprinted birth certificates for DV purposes.

I'm not entirely clear on the relationship between applicant and the baby with the missing father on the birth certficate. While I agree with britsimon that it shouldn't lead to denial, there has been a case reported here of someone required to get a DNA test to prove paternity of a child they wanted to get a visa for as derivative. If you can get an amended birth certificate it will probably be easier all round.

I am the step father ... married to the mother and i included my wife and her son when applying and also in the ds260 form ... but my name is not in the birth cert

I am the step father ... married to the mother and i included my wife and her son when applying and also in the ds260 form ... but my name is not in the birth cert

Since you're the step father and not the birth father, your name isn't expected to be listed on the B/C - especially if you married the mom after she had the child. Now, if you go ahead and get an amended B/C with your name listed on it, that would be a fraudulent document.

Hello my good people, I have another headache: the names in my PP and B.C. reads ABC while the one in the high school certificate reads AC, will this create an issue during the interview?

I am a new member.i won the DV2014 but was unfortunate to be current coz of my high CN 818**.Presently,God bless again i won the DV2016.To be current next month for interview 39***.I met the education requirements degree and m working.My preoccupation is this:
1)i was employed and given on the job training.i work in the cartography departments,in my ds form i chose social science .when asked to specify my occupation in my non conviction i wrote CARTOGRAPHER.Is it correct or i need to change it.Please help me out
2)Also,in our office once we go out to collect data;train temporal workers to carry on research in the field.but i work permanent in the cartography department.

Last edited:
Hello my good people, I have another headache: the names in my PP and B.C. reads ABC while the one in the high school certificate reads AC, will this create an issue during the interview?

It shouldn't be a problem. It's not unusual to not have a middle name listed on the school certificate.

I am a new member.i won the DV2014 but was unfortunate to be current coz of my high CN 818**.Presently,God bless again i won the DV2016.To be current next month for interview 39***.I met the education requirements degree and m working.My preoccupation is this:
1)i was employed and given on the job training.i work in the cartography departments,in my ds form i chose social science .when asked to specify my occupation in my non conviction i wrote CARTOGRAPHER.Is it correct or i need to change it.Please help me out
2)Also,in our office once we go out to collect data;train temporal workers to carry on research in the field.but i work permanent in the cartography department.

If you meet the educational requirements, you should be fine. Stop worrying about being precise with what you wrote work-wise.