• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 Oceania winners - Retired Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'd think they'd have their own little test entries or else just use a winner's entry number to give the thing a quick test before releasing it

They wouldn't be manually creating letters for everyone and uploading, the whole thing would be database driven with an application stack dynamically generating the documents for viewing with your unique details based on the credentials supplied when "logging in".

I dare say there's probably some load balancers/application delivery controllers and the visible content for the unsuccessful applications doesnt require backend calls to the above mentioned application stack as it's just static content (same for everyone).

So, in plain English speak, given how web apps are typically deployed I suspect those getting the errors are successful and the error is due to something broken in that back end application stack used to do the dynamic document generation.

Yup.

imho there is extra confusion because there are two types of session timeouts - normal timeout because millions of people are hitting the same web page at once, and "winning" timeout due to a technical issue with the winners page.

Yeah. In my tests I could cause the session time out by hitting the back nav button, but for the three cases that I suspect could be "different" there was a different process going on to the cases I tried that were not selected...

They wouldn't be manually creating letters for everyone and uploading, the whole thing would be database driven with an application stack dynamically generating the documents for viewing with your unique details based on the credentials supplied when "logging in".

I dare say there's probably some load balancers/application delivery controllers and the visible content for the unsuccessful applications doesnt require backend calls to the above mentioned application stack as it's just static content (same for everyone).

So, in plain English speak, given how web apps are typically deployed I suspect those getting the errors are successful and the error is due to something broken in that back end application stack used to do the dynamic document generation.
Well, what about those who got error and then got not selected message? maybe they haven't upload the results yet for dv lottery 2016 and that is why most of us got not selected

Well, what about those who got error and then got not selected message? maybe they haven't upload the results yet for dv lottery 2016 and that is why most of us got not selected
Yes.what about those? there are those who got the 'timed out " and then it turned to "Not Selected " after some time. How do you explain that?

Yes.what about those? there are those who got the 'timed out " and then it turned to "Not Selected " after some time. How do you explain that?

You can cause the session timed out error. Multiple windows, clicking back and yes - actually letting the session time out.

However, what we are talking about is someone who consistently enters the information and gets the session timed out error - and in my tests I can alternate between not selected cases and "interesting" cases with 100% predictability. So - that rules out network issues, browser issues, server load and so on. There is something "different" about the 3 interesting cases I have.

The programming logic would go like this.

Check the login data against a database.

Is the case selected?

If No - easy - just put up the standard not selected message that 99% of people see.

If Yes - the system has to go and retrieve the 1NL which is a prepared letter (a "report" in IT terms).

The yes logic means an extra step would have to be made. That would require access to the letter image, or at least the data that is filled into a form (but I believe it is an image based on previous years 1NLs).

Hope that explains why the IT geeks are leaning a certain way... could be wrong of course - just an educated guess.

You can cause the session timed out error. Multiple windows, clicking back and yes - actually letting the session time out.

However, what we are talking about is someone who consistently enters the information and gets the session timed out error - and in my tests I can alternate between not selected cases and "interesting" cases with 100% predictability. So - that rules out network issues, browser issues, server load and so on. There is something "different" about the 3 interesting cases I have.

Is the case selected?

If No - easy - just put up the standard not selected message that 99% of people see.

If Yes - the system has to go and retrieve the 1NL which is a prepared letter (a "report" in IT terms).

The yes logic means an extra step would have to be made. That would require access to the letter image, or at least the data that is filled into a form (but I believe it is an image based on previous years 1NLs).

Hope that explains why the IT geeks are leaning a certain way... could be wrong of course - just an educated guess.

So if this is what is actually happening, the ones that are getting the not selected message are in fact not selected for sure?
Should we keep checking or there is no point?

It is confirmed by KCC no one has won, and I am expecting that KCC will redraw the results. It is programming and error might occur. What happened in 2012 is going to happen again! But remember guys percentage for being not selected again is extremely high!

It is confirmed by KCC no one has won, and I am expecting that KCC will redraw the results. It is programming and error might occur. What happened in 2012 is going to happen again! But remember guys percentage for being not selected again is extremely high!
where did you read it?

Is the case selected?

Thank you Simon. I get it now.There are those who say :"NOT SELECTED" later turned to "session timed out" .does it still carry the same explanation?/

What is the evidence of your claims ? It is very simple. One shouldn't make claims without evidence.

" I read it on the Internet so it must be true"

Well - someone that I would consider credible, by which I mean a long time poster on my home forum who has been completely sensible in the past - says he called KCC this morning to check, says the lady told him all the results are out but the system keeps crashing due to the huge amount of people trying to access it.

I read on this forum that last year, some people were told they were NOT SELECTED, only to be declared winners a few days later...

1. How did that happen from an IT perspective? Was it some kind of glitch?

2. What are the chances that the same thing will happen now? I've checked numerous times and each time it shows up as NOT SELECTED. Any chance at all that this might not be the final case?

Status
Not open for further replies.