• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 AOS Only

called the KCC this morning to ask if my IO requested the KCC file for my interview on 1/21. I was told that KCC file was not requested so I guess that might delay the process a tiny bit after the interview. I will try to politely bring it up during the interview, but hopefully IO realizes s/he needs to request it before I get there. so @Pamuk you aren't alone in this :)

Bottom line is not filling out or submitting the DS260 form isn't responsible for the delayed IL, it will not lead to a denial at the end of the day. Submitting the form helps give KCC an idea of the number of people planning to process their DV selection and their preferred process method. As far as AOS is concerned, it's mainly used for statistics analysis by KCC.
Thank you, Mom!
So nothing super bad with it, that's good. Anyway, I have decided to schedule INFOPASS for the first week of January. It will be exactly 4 months since I have sent the package, and if there is even a little chance to bring my case to their attention and speed up receiving an IL, I am willing to do so.

As far as I got from this forum, I should ask the officer whether the background check was done. Do I need to indicate anything else? I apologise if I'm asking any redundant questions, but the previous posts were about the INFOPASS appointment after the interview, so that is why I wanted to confirm the possible scenario with you.

Last edited:
Thank you, Mom!
So nothing super bad with it, that's good. Anyway, I have decided to schedule INFOPASS for the first week of January. It will be exactly 4 months since I have sent the package, and if there is even a little chance to bring my case to their attention and speed up receiving an IL, I am willing to do so.

As far as I got from this forum, I should ask the officer whether the background check was done. Do I need to indicate anything else? I apologise if I'm asking any redundant questions, but the previous posts were about the INFOPASS appointment after the interview, so that is why I wanted to confirm the possible scenario with you.

I answered someone else regarding this a couple of posts above yours. The response is equally applicable to your case:

Paying your FO a visit is a good idea. Even if it does not lead to an IL being issued on the spot, it does give the case some desired nudge behind the scene - it brings it to someone's attention in case it's been overlooked. One of the questions you might want to ask is whether your background check has cleared or is still pending. You can also ask the officer if your case file from KCC has been requested.

When you do talk to them, be careful to use the right choice of words to prevent your being given a run around answer or some incorrect information.

Congratulations on getting the interview part out of the way. Good to know they actually had an IL prepared in your name, even though you never did receive it, and just like I guessed you had no problem getting in based on your wife's letter alone.

Regarding the I-134 for your wife, the IO was simply being over zealous. It's not a new requirement, you did not misunderstand the spreadsheet either. The fact that your wife is your derivative and you have an income which covers both of you makes the I-134 for her moot. She's not even the main applicant, but even if she was, the fact that you're processing AOS together makes the requirement irrelevant especially if you have a joint banking account, (same thigh even if you don't have a joint account).

Yeah, the situation regarding your PERM and I-140 is not unusual. Whenever there's some other kind of pending petition, the standard practice is to request the file(s) from the other department(s) handling them and merge those together before a final approval is given for the AOS petition. The good news is your interview is already out of the way and we're just 3 months into your applicable FY. The not so pleasant news is you might be looking at waiting for a couple of months before you get approved. Getting a file from one department to another can be quite a pain.

Hello Mom, i was wondering if I-765 that i filed on October 25th that is still showing that case was received and never heard anything else would cause a same delay of I-485 that i filled in December 2nd? I graduated school this November and went ahead to apply for EAD based on completion of school. Right after that, in December i submitted my AoS. Case number shows "Fingerprint Fee Was Received".

Hello Mom, i was wondering if I-765 that i filed on October 25th that is still showing that case was received and never heard anything else would cause a same delay of I-485 that i filled in December 2nd? I graduated school this November and went ahead to apply for EAD based on completion of school. Right after that, in December i submitted my AoS. Case number shows "Fingerprint Fee Was Received".

It may, it may not. Hard to tell. EAD approval typically takes about 3 months.

It may, it may not. Hard to tell. EAD approval typically takes about 3 months.
Thank u very much Mom, the reason i asked this cuz i came accross the post about delay of the cases. And also i submitted my opt application back in october 25th and submitted my aos packase on december 2nd. Hopefully opt will get proccessed soon so that way two cases wont cause problems between one another.

Hello everyone, I have a question about birth certificate, I have sent the original translation with my AOS package, so for interview should I get a new translation or a copy of earlier translation would work ?

Hello everyone, I have a question about birth certificate, I have sent the original translation with my AOS package, so for interview should I get a new translation or a copy of earlier translation would work ?

You go with a copy of what you already sent in.

Hi mom, I need your advise. I am F1 student from Africa. I met another female student too from African on f1 visa last year August 25th 2014 at the same college. I like her and a month after we met, I told her that I I love her and would like to marry her. She reply me that she will get back to me because she will need to contact her parent at home. some week latter, she came back to me that her family will need to meet my family. In a nutshell a proxy traditional marriage was conducted on our behalf within 3 month that we met and both family proclaim us husband and wife. (proxy marriage is legal in their country). October 14th 2014 we enter DV 2016 and chose married as our marital statue. my wife was selected with case number 2016AF00022XXX. After study your spread sheet, it give us an idea of all documents needed to adjust our statue. Then we requested for the marriage certificate from my spouse family but instead to send marriage certificate, they send marriage affidavit and it was stated on that affidavit that the marriage was not formally recorded with a State or religious registry or celebrated in a formal religious service. We let them know the implication of not having marriage certificate but they said they try all their effort to get one from Government but prove abortive. Because of non-availability of marriage, we decided to get marry here in US so that we can present it to USCIS and we did that in August. Now which date we will claim on our DS-260 that we got marry?. Thanks

Hello mom and everyone,

How does the interview letter look like? Today I received appointment paper for reviewing I-485 to register permanent residence or AOS. However, they only asked for ID and passports. No other documents so I was not sure whether it is interview letter or something else.

Thank you

Hi mom, I need your advise. I am F1 student from Africa. I met another female student too from African on f1 visa last year August 25th 2014 at the same college. I like her and a month after we met, I told her that I I love her and would like to marry her. She reply me that she will get back to me because she will need to contact her parent at home. some week latter, she came back to me that her family will need to meet my family. In a nutshell a proxy traditional marriage was conducted on our behalf within 3 month that we met and both family proclaim us husband and wife. (proxy marriage is legal in their country). October 14th 2014 we enter DV 2016 and chose married as our marital statue. my wife was selected with case number 2016AF00022XXX. After study your spread sheet, it give us an idea of all documents needed to adjust our statue. Then we requested for the marriage certificate from my spouse family but instead to send marriage certificate, they send marriage affidavit and it was stated on that affidavit that the marriage was not formally recorded with a State or religious registry or celebrated in a formal religious service. We let them know the implication of not having marriage certificate but they said they try all their effort to get one from Government but prove abortive. Because of non-availability of marriage, we decided to get marry here in US so that we can present it to USCIS and we did that in August. Now which date we will claim on our DS-260 that we got marry?. Thanks

Since you filled out the eDV registration with a 'married' marital status, you should use the date of your proxy marriage on your DS-260 form. Fortunately for you, the US immigration law recognizes proxy marriages - the tricky part in your case of course is the fact that there's no official marriage certificate for the proxy marriage and your sworn affidavit also clearly states your marriage wasn't officially recorded. But I'm assuming some sort of ceremony did take place for the proxy marriage - do you have evidence of those such as pictures showing both parties parents, other family members, friends, documented plans, expense receipts, etc? You may need to present those at the time of your interview to back up the proxy marriage claim since there's no marriage certificate to support it.

And when you do send in your AOS package, do include copies of both the affidavit and the US marriage certificate as further proof you guys are actually married. Having on hand, at the time of the interview, evidence of joint assets, bills, pictures of both of your before and after the marriage, joint activities, etc, could also become useful at the time of your interview.

I'm merging your post with the previously existing DV 2016 AOS Thread. There is no need to create a new Thread for your question, we try to keep all DV based AOS questions on the same Thread. So please post subsequent AOS related questions on the existing AOS Thread.

p.s. I've also gone ahead and deleted the 2nd Thread you created for the same post.

Hello mom and everyone,

How does the interview letter look like? Today I received appointment paper for reviewing I-485 to register permanent residence or AOS. However, they only asked for ID and passports. No other documents so I was not sure whether it is interview letter or something else.

Thank you

That is your IL, there's no standard format for what it looks like. While the letter may not state to bring anything else outside of a photo ID, they really do expect you to show up with any document you feel might help with your case if you don't want an RFE to be issued followed that appointment simply because you couldn't present a particular document when requested at that appointment.

Hello everyone,
My I-485 was approved on 28th September 2015 and I gave my bio-metrics on 19th October 2015. Since then I have not heard anything from the USCIS. When I check my case status it just says"On September 28, 2015, we accepted the fingerprint fee for your Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status, Receipt Number XXXXXXXXXX. Our National Benefits Center location is working on your case. We mailed you a notice describing how we will process your case. Please follow the instructions in the notice." Is there anything that I need to be afraid of or it usually takes long time.

Hello everyone,
My I-485 was approved on 28th September 2015 and I gave my bio-metrics on 19th October 2015. Since then I have not heard anything from the USCIS. When I check my case status it just says"On September 28, 2015, we accepted the fingerprint fee for your Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status, Receipt Number XXXXXXXXXX. Our National Benefits Center location is working on your case. We mailed you a notice describing how we will process your case. Please follow the instructions in the notice." Is there anything that I need to be afraid of or it usually takes long time.

If you're a DV2016 selectee, I doubt your I-485 was 'approved' on Sept. 28th, you probably mean it was 'accepted'. Yes, the processing does take a while, and the online status will most likely not change until after your case is approved or denied (which for most people will be after their interview). Here's a couple of things you can do:

- check the Timelines spreadsheets for both DV2016 and the past couple of years to get an idea of how long it takes your FO to approve DV cases. You can also use it to compare yours to other FOs. The Timelines links can be found on the AOS spreadsheet.

- schedule an INFOPASS appointment with your FO to follow up on your case.

I'm merging your post with the previously existing DV 2016 AOS Thread. There is no need to create a new Thread for your question, we try to keep all DV based AOS questions on the same Thread. So please post subsequent AOS related questions on the existing AOS Thread.

p.s. I've also gone ahead and deleted the 2nd Thread you created for the same post.
Thanks.
Since you filled out the eDV registration with a 'married' marital status, you should use the date of your proxy marriage on your DS-260 form. Fortunately for you, the US immigration law recognizes proxy marriages - the tricky part in your case of course is the fact that there's no official marriage certificate for the proxy marriage and your sworn affidavit also clearly states your marriage wasn't officially recorded. But I'm assuming some sort of ceremony did take place for the proxy marriage - do you have evidence of those such as pictures showing both parties parents, other family members, friends, documented plans, expense receipts, etc? You may need to present those at the time of your interview to back up the proxy marriage claim since there's no marriage certificate to support it.

And when you do send in your AOS package, do include copies of both the affidavit and the US marriage certificate as further proof you guys are actually married. Having on hand, at the time of the interview, evidence of joint assets, bills, pictures of both of your before and after the marriage, joint activities, etc, could also become useful at the time of your interview.
Thanks mom, Pictures of the marriage was sent to us but no evidence of expensive receipts. Also their no evidence for joint assets, bills and insurance because we are student and we leave on campus. Do you think we can make it without all these documents?

Today I received my GC and I would like once again to thank sm1smom for all her help and the answers to all my questions. Good luck to everyone else with their application. Please follow the excel sheet to not miss any piece of document in this process.

Congratulations!