• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 AOS Only

Hi Mom, I went to fingerprinting today and after the fingerprinting I went to the info counter of my field office and I asked them about how long does it take to get the interview letter for I485. Her answer was quite promising she said currenty they are sending interview letters to application received in December and asked me when I submit my I485. I told her its on Jan then she said you should receive the letter around march or april. Wonder is this a normal answer in all field offices or is this a quick turnaround (she doesnt know this is a DV case).

The IL is FO dependent, process time isn't the same for everyone. You can also track the general processing time online yourself (which is typically not applicable to DV based AOS process like we've already established) through the following link:

https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/processTimesDisplayInit.do

So, just to verify that I understand correctly. Obtaining the AP card does not cancels my O1 status. Only the "usage/showing" of the card while re-entering the US will cancel the O1 status? And if I have the AP card but will re-enter US by showing my O1 visa will cancel the AOS?

Yes and yes.

You'll be fine.
Thanks a lot... Also i forgot to mentioned one employer info which was the sister company to my first company, were i worked only for couple of month during my first OPT period and also i have i-20... Do you think this will complex my case????
Thanks Again.

Thanks a lot... Also i forgot to mentioned one employer info which was the sister company to my first company, were i worked only for couple of month during my first OPT period and also i have i-20... Do you think this will complex my case????
Thanks Again.

You'll have the opportunity to provide all the correct information when you fill out the forms for your AOS

You'll have the opportunity to provide all the correct information when you fill out the forms for your AOS
Thanks,, But i have not seen such forms where we have to provide all info for previous employer details in AOS Package?? but i will send all i-20 and all documents...

Thank you Sm1smom for all the guidance and your helpful spreadsheet. Today my husband and I (main applicant) had our interview. The officer was so nice and very positive about our case. The only issue we faced was that there was a note on my case which said I was out of status, while I always be in status in the US. However, the officer said she accepted it and if she needs any other document, will call by the end of day. She called in less than an hour and mentioned that her advisor was concerned about my school enrollment (I just got the enrollment verification letter for Spring 2016 and Fall 2015 and I thought my I20 shows that I was enrolled for the whole time). She also said that I should have an I20 for each year of school attendance, that I think she is wrong. Immidiately after her call I got the official full enrollment verification and I handed it to her by noon. I also faxed her my unofficial transcripts. Right now, I'm not sure is that enough for them or not. Hope it works and she can approve my case. Mom, please advise me if there is anything else that I can do to prove them my legal stay in the US.

I did not get the signature for my I20, and I guess that results in the whole problem! When I came back to school, I request for an updated I20 just in case they asked for it.

Thanks,, But i have not seen such forms where we have to provide all info for previous employer details in AOS Package?? but i will send all i-20 and all documents...

For sheez! All I'm trying to stay is 'stop stressing'! You'll have the opportunity to report the pertinent information. There are selectees who have processed their AOS DV selection without submitting the DS-260 to start with. Anyway, if it bothers you so much you can request for the DS-260 to be unlocked and provide all that, unlocking wouldn't cause result in a delay.

Thank you Sm1smom for all the guidance and your helpful spreadsheet. Today my husband and I (main applicant) had our interview. The officer was so nice and very positive about our case. The only issue we faced was that there was a note on my case which said I was out of status, while I always be in status in the US. However, the officer said she accepted it and if she needs any other document, will call by the end of day. She called in less than an hour and mentioned that her advisor was concerned about my school enrollment (I just got the enrollment verification letter for Spring 2016 and Fall 2015 and I thought my I20 shows that I was enrolled for the whole time). She also said that I should have an I20 for each year of school attendance, that I think she is wrong. Immidiately after her call I got the official full enrollment verification and I handed it to her by noon. I also faxed her my unofficial transcripts. Right now, I'm not sure is that enough for them or not. Hope it works and she can approve my case. Mom, please advise me if there is anything else that I can do to prove them my legal stay in the US.

I did not get the signature for my I20, and I guess that results in the whole problem! When I came back to school, I request for an updated I20 just in case they asked for it.

Having a print out of your semester/quarterly registrations on hand at the time of the interview would have also helped in proving you've always maintained your status. An I-20 for each year of attendance isn't correct, unless of course you changed schools - so the IO is wrong on that score. Anyway, keep your fingers crossed for now, I believe they will realize their mistakes and approve your case soon.

For sheez! All I'm trying to stay is 'stop stressing'! You'll have the opportunity to report the pertinent information. There are selectees who have processed their AOS DV selection without submitting the DS-260 to start with. Anyway, if it bothers you so much you can request for the DS-260 to be unlocked and provide all that, unlocking wouldn't cause result in a delay.
LOl...:):)... thanks a lot......

Finally, month and a half after our interview I got the Card Production Ordered notification!
I wish good luck to everyone here and would like to express gratitude to Sm1smom for preparing the spreadsheets and the support here on the forum!
Another question.
My I-485 has moved to "We ordered your new card." and then to "We approved your Form I-485" and "We mailed your new card to the address you gave us" throughout last week.
But my wife's(dependent) I-485 status has not changed ever since the acceptance status of "Fingerprint Fee Received".
Is this common? Does USCIS send GCs for dependents together with the primary applicants GC?

Another question.
My I-485 has moved to "We ordered your new card." and then to "We approved your Form I-485" and "We mailed your new card to the address you gave us" throughout last week.
But my wife's(dependent) I-485 status has not changed ever since the acceptance status of "Fingerprint Fee Received".
Is this common? Does USCIS send GCs for dependents together with the primary applicants GC?

Nope, not common. Your wife's status should have had the same series of changes too. The GC are independent of each other and gets sent separately. So your wife's situation is one of two things: either they forgot to update it (which is not so bad) and her GC will get delivered same day as yours; or her background check is still pending and since she's your dependent and not the main applicant, they've gone ahead and approved yours as they rightly should.

Hello hello,
I just had my infopass appointment in the San Diego FO and wanted to share my experience.
In short: The officer was super nice, checked my file, found it in Chula Vista (I mentioned earlier that the two offices will move in together in 2 weeks, so it's a bit confusing there right now), found out that they asked for my file from KCC end of January but didn't get it yet, and added a note to my file to squeeze me in for an interview as soon as possible. Also he told me to make my next infopass appointment as soon as I can (due to the moving I don't think they have any available until second week of March), just in case something goes wrong with the interview letter.
What is important to mention is that he had no clue about the DV. I explained the time issue in the way that more people win the DV lottery than there are green cards, and that the process is faster for people who file from outside the US vs. doing AOS. Therefore I am worried that all green cards will be gone before my case is approved. Sneaky me did not mention the fiscal year (as they probably reach the 50k before October anyway, so I mentioned that they might reach the 50k possibly in Summer...). He was very eager to help, and checked whether they got all files they need, and checked with his supervisor to put the note in my file to give me the next interview date that's coming up (like if somebody cancels).
Sooooo, as Mom keeps telling everybody: go to infopass appointments!!!

Hello All,
What does Sensitive But Unclassified (SBU) on DS-260 first page means?? is it common to have that after submission,,,????

Having a print out of your semester/quarterly registrations on hand at the time of the interview would have also helped in proving you've always maintained your status. An I-20 for each year of attendance isn't correct, unless of course you changed schools - so the IO is wrong on that score. Anyway, keep your fingers crossed for now, I believe they will realize their mistakes and approve your case soon.
As I said, yesterday I requested for an updated I20. Today, I found out that ISSS in my school reported wrong SEVIS status for me :mad: as "completed" although I've maintained my student status all these years. Then ISSS requested for status correction to change it as "active" and delivered me a mail which explains this issue to USCIS. I fax the letter to the officer. Then my case status changed to: "On February 19, 2016, we reopened your Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status, Receipt Number xxx, and are reconsidering our earlier decision. We sent you a notice that describes how we will process your case. Please follow the instructions in the notice." This makes me really confused. It doesn't say what was the earlier decision! Have you ever seen such case? I feel disappointed :(

As I said, yesterday I requested for an updated I20. Today, I found out that ISSS in my school reported wrong SEVIS status for me :mad: as "completed" although I've maintained my student status all these years. Then ISSS requested for status correction to change it as "active" and delivered me a mail which explains this issue to USCIS. I fax the letter to the officer. Then my case status changed to: "On February 19, 2016, we reopened your Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status, Receipt Number xxx, and are reconsidering our earlier decision. We sent you a notice that describes how we will process your case. Please follow the instructions in the notice." This makes me really confused. It doesn't say what was the earlier decision! Have you ever seen such case? I feel disappointed :(

The online status, when reference is made to something that was mailed, typically doesn't say what the decision is/was. Sounds like what was initially mailed to you could have been a denial notice, you'll just have to be patience for now to see what shows up in your mailbox and to what the eventual decision will be.

It's a good thing though you got to the source of the confusion regarding your status and you've taken the necessary steps to rectify and inform USCIS. So patiently wait for whatever it is to show up or for the next update. It's not over yet, and there's still lots of time left.

First of all, I sincere appreciate Mom, Britsimon and friends here for all the info in this blog.
My wife and I would have been super scared to prepare the docs for this process if there was none of this.

Our CN is AS68xx and we are expecting the number to be current in a couple of months.

We live in NYC and wonder if anyone knows a particular FO where the process is faster than others. It seems like NY takes much longer than other states. If it takes months, we will lose this GC opportunity even our number becomes current in May or June right? If anyone knows a good way to expedite the process, please let me know.

First of all, I sincere appreciate Mom, Britsimon and friends here for all the info in this blog.
My wife and I would have been super scared to prepare the docs for this process if there was none of this.

Our CN is AS68xx and we are expecting the number to be current in a couple of months.

We live in NYC and wonder if anyone knows a particular FO where the process is faster than others. It seems like NY takes much longer than other states. If it takes months, we will lose this GC opportunity even our number becomes current in May or June right? If anyone knows a good way to expedite the process, please let me know.

Your FO will be based on your home address. Don't try and game the system by trying to apply through a FO you're not eligible to use simply because it seems faster than your applicable FO, that would be considered as fraudulently obtaining an immigration benefit.

The NY FO may be slow for now, they're definitely aware of the need to adjudicate DV based AOS cases before the end of the applicable FY. That's taken into consideration even with cases that go current late in the year.

Your FO will be based on your home address. Don't try and game the system by trying to apply through a FO you're not eligible to use simply because it seems faster than your applicable FO, that would be considered as fraudulently obtaining an immigration benefit.

The NY FO may be slow for now, they're definitely aware of the need to adjudicate DV based AOS cases before the end of the applicable FY. That's taken into consideration even with cases that go current late in the year.

Thank you very much for your prompt attention to my post Mom!! It is really helpful. I guess we will just follow your AOS package and wait.

Hi Mom,

I have another question...

My wife is the principal applicant and her qualification for the DV program is based on education (graduation from high school). She graduated from high school and university in the UK, and is now attending law school in ths US. She will graduate with a JD (graduate degree) in May.

We have her university diploma and proof of enrollment at her law school, but UK high schools do not issue a “high school diploma” like the US schools. Based on our research, 5 or more passes at grade C or above in the UK’s GCSE and A-level exams are generally considered equivalent to US high school diplomas, and is sufficient, at least for the CP process.

Because we are going through the AOS process with USCIS, who may be less familiar with the UK qualifications, we wondered if we should prepare additional documents to avoid confusion? Would a letter from the high school certifying the dates of attendance, or some authority stating that the GCSE/A-levels are equivalent to US High school diploma be helpful?

If anyone has experience going through USCIS with UK GCSE/A-levels, we’d love to hear.