• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 AOS Only

I've been there whole afternoon and finally I got a supervisor they gonna liking into it, but they said they don't have a time to talk to me, I hope they gonna make final decision by tomorrow.

That's encouraging. I suggest you still go back tomorrow to follow up. Best of luck!

Hi there,
Do you recommend for a F-1 to send the I-765 ?
It's not a matter of recommendation. If you think you'd need a work permit during your application process you should get it. If not, you should opt out. Since it is free of charge to file I-765 with a I-485, might as well do it. I was an F1 on OPT and I still filed I-765.

Just a heads up, you'e a DV2017 winner but keep posting on DV2016 thread. Today is the last day of FY 2016, so you may not be able to get any answer to your questions if you keep on posting here.

Good luck.

Hi mom, how to fill out the time line of DV 2016 ?

Here is my brief. My case was current on April 2016. I had filed on March and had been interviewed on September 22. I received an approval email same day ( Sept 22) , a welcome letter on September 26 and received physical card on September 30. My field office was New York City.

Hi Everybody!
I applied for adjustment of status through Diversity Visa program 2016. I did my interview on May 20th, 2016. My case officer told me that I have no problem and should receive my GC in 3 weeks.after almost 3 months, on August 22nd my case status was updated online and I had approved/reopened/ordered your new card. I received welcome notice and a blank reopen letter same time same day in mail. I visited USCIS office in Detroit on September 6th and asked them what was going on with my case. The officer checked the system and told me my card is being issued; he told me congratulation. Today, my case hasnt been updated since August 22nd, I visited USCIS again and inquired about my case. I was told that my case is still pending a decision( neither approved nor denied) and the welcome notice was generated by system error. My case is still pending because of background check seemingly; I'm a PhD student in social sceinces in US and havent left US since 2012. I have no criminal or political record. Considering that, USCIS processes DV files for each year during the fiscal year which is until September 30th, what will happen to my case? Should I consider it rejected and don't follow up? Has anybody received a decision after Sept 30th? The officer told me he has no idea how would they proceed. I'd appreciate your comments.

Hi Everybody!
I applied for adjustment of status through Diversity Visa program 2016. I did my interview on May 20th, 2016. My case officer told me that I have no problem and should receive my GC in 3 weeks.after almost 3 months, on August 22nd my case status was updated online and I had approved/reopened/ordered your new card. I received welcome notice and a blank reopen letter same time same day in mail. I visited USCIS office in Detroit on September 6th and asked them what was going on with my case. The officer checked the system and told me my card is being issued; he told me congratulation. Today, my case hasnt been updated since August 22nd, I visited USCIS again and inquired about my case. I was told that my case is still pending a decision( neither approved nor denied) and the welcome notice was generated by system error. My case is still pending because of background check seemingly; I'm a PhD student in social sceinces in US and havent left US since 2012. I have no criminal or political record. Considering that, USCIS processes DV files for each year during the fiscal year which is until September 30th, what will happen to my case? Should I consider it rejected and don't follow up? Has anybody received a decision after Sept 30th? The officer told me he has no idea how would they proceed. I'd appreciate your comments.
Greetings to Lansing, MI. If the last information you received, i.e. no DV-206 decision had been made on your I-485 application by September 30t, 2016, then you will not be able to receive a Green Card. However, given the confusing and even contradictory information you have received thus far, I personally would certainly try and establish what the true status quo is, what, if anything, went wrong for what reason and, if so, would you have been able to do any different from your side?

Greetings to Lansing, MI. If the last information you received, i.e. no DV-206 decision had been made on your I-485 application by September 30t, 2016, then you will not be able to receive a Green Card. However, given the confusing and even contradictory information you have received thus far, I personally would certainly try and establish what the true status quo is, what, if anything, went wrong for what reason and, if so, would you have been able to do any different from your side?
Thank you very much for the reply. How do you suggest I follow up? Should I file the online request regarding unusual processing time? This is very frustrating. I spent so much time and energy to provide the documents and follow up, all seemingly for nothing. At least, if they gave me a rejection before 30th, I could do sth about it.

Thank you very much for the reply. How do you suggest I follow up? Should I file the online request regarding unusual processing time? This is very frustrating. I spent so much time and energy to provide the documents and follow up, all seemingly for nothing. At least, if they gave me a rejection before 30th, I could do sth about it.
As you processed AoS, the (only) way to go is through an Infopass appointment, and then don't leave until you found all the answers, politely but firmly. You possibly may have wanted to "camp out" at your USCIS FO before 09/30? Now traveling to Detroit just for that seems a rather long stretch, yet at least you (hopefully) will get some clarity on the matter.

Hi Everybody!

This is not looking good, I'm afraid. If your background check was still pending as at the COB on Sept. 30th, there's basically no way forward after that with regards to the DV selection. If indeed the welcome notice you had received was generated due to a system error, I think that sucks, but there's really nothing you can do about it that can lead to being issued with a GC now since the FY is over.

This is not looking good, I'm afraid. If your background check was still pending as at the COB on Sept. 30th, there's basically no way forward after that with regards to the DV selection. If indeed the welcome notice you had received was generated due to a system error, I think that sucks, but there's really nothing you can do about it that can lead to being issued with a GC now since the FY is over.
Unfirtunately, I feel very disappointed and frustrated that all my efforts were in vain; the time I could do research I spent on filling endless forms and calling USCIS. However, I recieved a log file from the officer on Sept 6th, which was taken back by the next officer I was assigned to on Oct 4th, which shows my background check was done and no problem was reported. There was no indication of reopening in that log from system. Moreover, the officer told me on Sept 6th, that I have been approved and just need to wait for my green card. There was nothing left for argument when they tell you that you are approved! Today, the officer took that paper back and asked me who gave that paper to me; he went to talk to him and told me that I shouldnt have that piece of paper and it is only for internal use. I have a picture of that piece of paper and will consult an attorney to see my options! This is very disturbing and the USCIS is absolutely not helpful; they dont answer questions and I have just received no information or contradictory information from the field office and customer service number. Anyhow, appreciate your feedback.

Unfirtunately, I feel very disappointed and frustrated that all my efforts were in vain; the time I could do research I spent on filling endless forms and calling USCIS. However, I recieved a log file from the officer on Sept 6th, which was taken back by the next officer I was assigned to on Oct 4th, which shows my background check was done and no problem was reported. There was no indication of reopening in that log from system. Moreover, the officer told me on Sept 6th, that I have been approved and just need to wait for my green card. There was nothing left for argument when they tell you that you are approved! Today, the officer took that paper back and asked me who gave that paper to me; he went to talk to him and told me that I shouldnt have that piece of paper and it is only for internal use. I have a picture of that piece of paper and will consult an attorney to see my options! This is very disturbing and the USCIS is absolutely not helpful; they dont answer questions and I have just received no information or contradictory information from the field office and customer service number. Anyhow, appreciate your feedback.

I suggest you pay another visit to your FO and request to speak with a supervisor to try and get to the bottom of what's going on based on the system log you said you were previously given.

It's not a matter of recommendation. If you think you'd need a work permit during your application process you should get it. If not, you should opt out. Since it is free of charge to file I-765 with a I-485, might as well do it. I was an F1 on OPT and I still filed I-765.

Just a heads up, you'e a DV2017 winner but keep posting on DV2016 thread. Today is the last day of FY 2016, so you may not be able to get any answer to your questions if you keep on posting here.

Good luck.
Thank you so much. I'll post on the DV2017 thread.

You need to prepare for the Infopass, because otherwise they fob you off and tell you to wait (because most people have to wait a lot longer than we do, so the IOs are very used to telling people to wait). Try and have a mental or written note of things to ask - I think of it like a checklist. These are the things that you need to have completed (Mom please add if there is anything missed).

1. I-485 submitted and sent to the FO (obviously done otherwise you wouldn't be there, but just so you have a list).
  2. Biometric completed?
  3. Background/Name check completed?
  4. Receipts for the DV fee and the AoS fee (you should have those - but point them out).
  5. Have the FO requested the file from KCC? Have they received it? (check whether KCC say it's been requested or sent).

Dear @Britsimon and @Sm1smom ,
may I ask what File from KCC are you talking about here (#5 of the checklist)? If I decided not to submit Form DS260, do I still have to have the FO requested anything from KCC?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
may I ask what File from KCC are you talking about here (#5 of the checklist)? If I decided not to submit Form DS260, do I still have to have the FO requested anything from KCC?
Thanks in advance!

Every DV selectee has a KCC file, which consists of your eDV registration form, DS260 form (if submitted), DV payment receipt, copies of correspondence you might have had with KCC, amongst others.

Thanks in advance!

In addition to Mom's answer, I believe submitting the ds260 helps in establishing the file in question, which is why I recommend people submit it.

In addition to Mom's answer, I believe submitting the ds260 helps in establishing the file in question, which is why I recommend people submit it.
@Britsimon and @Sm1smom , I appreciate your help!! I really do. And it seems like both of you are strognly recommending to submit DS260. My thoughts were: if I give less info then less questions I'll be asked on interview (because form ds260 has so many questions!). For example "Address" part. To be honest I don't even remember the exact years of living on particular addresses - I think I have changed 20 times since my age of 16. So if I don't remember, should I just guess? So that was the reason I didn't want to submit the Form 260. Do you still think I should submit it even I'm not sure in some of my answers to question in that form?