• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 AOS Only

Hi there,

I received my GC last month and since I moved after that, I decided to update my uscis address yesterday. A short time after I filed an address change request, I got a text message notification about some changes on my status. When I checked my status (expecting to see an address change request notice), I get the following message:

On August 29, 2016, the Post Office returned a notice we sent you for your Form I485, APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS, Receipt Number MSC........, because they could not deliver it. This could have a serious effect on your case. Please go to www.uscis.gov/e-request to request a copy of the notice immediately. If you move, go to www.uscis.gov/addresschange to give us your new mailing address.

I am not sure if it is just simply a glitch in their status update system because this message just popped up after I requested an address change (was expecting a change of address notice instead) and also because the address I had in the system was still valid and I received my GC through that address so I see no reason any presumptive document becomes undeliverable. Do you guys think I should do anything here? I have already requested a copy of the notice.

thanks.

I somehow missed this post but I'm glad @beau saw it and responded above. So yeah, I also think it's a glitch, notwithstanding, you should call the 1800 number to find out more about it if you haven't done so already.

Hi,

First of all, I just want to thank you guys, especially Sm1smom and Britsimon, for your information, help, support, etc. Without them, many people here would have difficulty getting through all the process.

I went to the interview yesterday morning. It took about 10 minutes. She mostly asked me about my study. She said she got all the documents and was going to review them, then let me know in a few weeks by mail. At the end, when I was telling her the deadline was approaching, she said she know before I finished saying.

I was very worried when I got home. However, I checked my status again around 4 o'clock. It changed to 'New Card Is Being Produced'. That was so extremely happy.

Timeline
Case No. : 2016AS00007xxx
DS 260 : Nov 13, 2016
2NL Received : Dec 23, 2016
Current : June
Chicago Lockbox : May 27, 2016
Package Delivery Courier : USPS Priority
Acceptance Text : June 9, 2016
Check cashed : June 9, 2016
NOA received: June 14, 2016
Biometric letter received: June 26, 2016
Biometric Date : Jul 8, 2016
Interview Letter Received: Aug 5, 2016
Interview Date : Sep 7, 2016
CPO : Sep 7, 2016

Lastly, I wish you guys all the best.

Hello mom, I have a really quick question. Do we have to update our status anywhere I mean as a permanent resident, like in social security, work or in university ?

If you're a student, it makes sense to inform your university, not unless you want to keep paying international student fees. Also a good idea to apply for a replacement SSN card since the card you currently have has DHS restriction written on it.

Hi,

First of all, I just want to thank you guys, especially Sm1smom and Britsimon, for your information, help, support, etc. Without them, many people here would have difficulty getting through all the process.

I went to the interview yesterday morning. It took about 10 minutes. She mostly asked me about my study. She said she got all the documents and was going to review them, then let me know in a few weeks by mail. At the end, when I was telling her the deadline was approaching, she said she know before I finished saying.

I was very worried when I got home. However, I checked my status again around 4 o'clock. It changed to 'New Card Is Being Produced'. That was so extremely happy.

Timeline
Case No. : 2016AS00007xxx
DS 260 : Nov 13, 2016
2NL Received : Dec 23, 2016
Current : June
Chicago Lockbox : May 27, 2016
Package Delivery Courier : USPS Priority
Acceptance Text : June 9, 2016
Check cashed : June 9, 2016
NOA received: June 14, 2016
Biometric letter received: June 26, 2016
Biometric Date : Jul 8, 2016
Interview Letter Received: Aug 5, 2016
Interview Date : Sep 7, 2016
CPO : Sep 7, 2016

Lastly, I wish you guys all the best.

Congratulations!

In general, one can't stop worrying until you get the Welcome notice at least, or the GC itself. So look forward to the welcome notice or GC showing is in the next couple of days.
I didn't think you had to receive the welcome letter and GC on or before 30th? What point does the deadline stop being relevant to the case - I was sure it when you have been approved, even though you may not have the welcome letter and GC in your hand (can they arrive/be chased up in October)?

I didn't think you had to receive the welcome letter and GC on or before 30th? What point does the deadline stop being relevant to the case - I was sure it when you have been approved, even though you may not have the welcome letter and GC in your hand (can they arrive/be chased up in October)?

And I've never said to you or to anyone the Welcome Letter and/or the GC must be received on or before Sept. 30th, right? The deadline stops being relevant when you get your GC IMO - that's when one can take a deep breathe. While seeing one is approved online is good, I wouldn't be completely relaxed until I get the card itself as that online notice might have been the rest of a glitch - very, very rare, but not completely impossible. And yes, it's possible for the WL and/or the GC to arrive well after Sept. 30th, as long as the case is approved on or before that date, nonetheless it's not over until it's over like the saying goes.

Hi Mom,

Thanks to your guidance we got our interview letter today! The interview is scheduled for September 14th. Thanks a lot and I really appreciate your help. I also have a quick question, USCIS has sent the same list of required documents for both myself and my wife. My understanding is that I am the only person who requires to present high-school or higher education and financial ability documents. Is that correct or my wife also should have the high-school diploma. I appreciate your kind guidance since it made me a bit stressful.

Thanks,
Hamid

Hi Mom,

Thanks to your guidance we got our interview letter today! The interview is scheduled for September 14th. Thanks a lot and I really appreciate your help. I also have a quick question, USCIS has sent the same list of required documents for both myself and my wife. My understanding is that I am the only person who requires to present high-school or higher education and financial ability documents. Is that correct or my wife also should have the high-school diploma. I appreciate your kind guidance since it made me a bit stressful.

Thanks,
Hamid

Only the main selectee is required to present the HS diploma unless you're cross charging to your wife's country of birth in which case you'll both be expected to meet the minimum requirements.

I somehow missed this post but I'm glad @beau saw it and responded above. So yeah, I also think it's a glitch, notwithstanding, you should call the 1800 number to find out more about it if you haven't done so already.
Thank @Sm1smom and @beau . I called them and they did not provide anything more that reading the online status.

Dear Mom and Brit,

Eventually we have received the "welcome letters" that indicate the approval of our case. I'm not sure what exactly helped there: Ombudsman, Congressman, or just time :).
I would like to express my sincere gratitude to you for all the help, advise and encouragement during the whole process. Your advise was always exact, complete and very fast.

Thank you so much!!!
CONGRATS MICHEAL!!!! I ALWAYS KNEW YOU WILL GET IT HAHAHA

Hello mom, I have a really quick question. Do we have to update our status anywhere I mean as a permanent resident, like in social security, work or in university ?
Hey actually you have to inform your university. Mine made me fill out a form for change of status, with which you have to provide proof that your legal status changed (in our case a copy of the GC).

I went to the FO, the lady did not tell me anything. She said it has been denied and there's nothing she can do. I then went and call the USCIS, they scheduled me a phone call with the immigration officer within 3 days. I was also wondering if I can use the congressman. Its true that my asylum was terminated but I read online that I have 180 days before to accrue unlawful pressence. I applied the i-485 before accrued unlawful presence. I will fight to get something out of this.

I went to the FO, the lady did not tell me anything. She said it has been denied and there's nothing she can do. I then went and call the USCIS, they scheduled me a phone call with the immigration officer within 3 days. I was also wondering if I can use the congressman. Its true that my asylum was terminated but I read online that I have 180 days before to accrue unlawful pressence. I applied the i-485 before accrued unlawful presence. I will fight to get something out of this.

Thanks for the update. You may contact your congressperson but I highly doubt if there's anything they can do to overturn the decision.

You might not have accrued an unlawful presence between when you terminated your asylum petition and when you filed your AOS petition, you however were clearly out of status when you terminated the asylum case. One of the required conditions for filing AOS is that of being in a legal status, if you had left your asylum petition ongoing when you filed for AOS, you would have been in a recognized legal status. But because you had clearly gone out of your F1 status, you had no status to fall back on when you terminated the asylum petition which then made you ineligible for AOS. Harsh reality, but that's the way things stand for you now.