• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Winners Meet Here

Brit, SusiQQQ: You all listen me very well. You know that filing taxes will not be the same for you as is for her. She will not have any W-2 from any employer, she will not show any income and eventually since she is going to be well below the gross annual income limit, she will not OWE any penny to the IRS. When it comes to the citizenship issue: She just needs to have nothing owed to IRS, did not do any felony/misdemeanor and couple more things we all very well know about. So, what are we still discussing? I already mentioned that she could consider filing a 1040-EZ for her for her federal taxes and not to worry about the state. I filed taxes in the past more than the sum of you two under a different visa, used local agents as well as online programs and so do not try to teach me the tax basics. All I did not know could be the difference between the two statuses (green card and non-resident status) and their requirements. Every time I enter this platform I am seeing people arguing about little things, being bossy and a lot of times rude. I will never log into this platform again!

Good grief. In my original post where I correctly pointed out your information was incorrect, I said it was unlikely that she would pay anything but she would have to file. Susie then clarified the same thing. You kept arguing that should would not need to file based on the low income or then the substantial presence test. Both incorrect. You kept arguing, with ever more incorrect statements. No one has been rude to you, but now you are having a tantrum. Feel free to log in again, or don't - it is your choice. But in life, if you say incorrect stuff and then get corrected, it is better to accept the point without the tantrum - don't you think?

Bici is making it all sound like it is a huge issue, when it isn't. We entered on 26 December. So we paid a tax guy to get the forms submitted, big deal. Unless you are an absolute gazillionaire there is no way you will earn enough income in a few days to be liable to pay any tax. Form filed, obligation ticked, when we go for naturalization and they want to see that we have met all IRS commitments, box ticked.
Quite, I agree with you. Obviously she can't file 1040NR, under Section "Abandoning Permanent Resident Status: Declare yourself a “nonimmigrant” on your U.S. tax returns."

Brit, SusiQQQ: You all listen me very well. You know that filing taxes will not be the same for you as is for her. She will not have any W-2 from any employer, she will not show any income and eventually since she is going to be well below the gross annual income limit, she will not OWE any penny to the IRS. When it comes to the citizenship issue: She just needs to have nothing owed to IRS, did not do any felony/misdemeanor and couple more things we all very well know about. So, what are we still discussing? I already mentioned that she could consider filing a 1040-EZ for her for her federal taxes and not to worry about the state. I filed taxes in the past more than the sum of you two under a different visa, used local agents as well as online programs and so do not try to teach me the tax basics. All I did not know could be the difference between the two statuses (green card and non-resident status) and their requirements. Every time I enter this platform I am seeing people arguing about little things, being bossy and a lot of times rude. I will never log into this platform again!

No one said she OWED anything. Time and again. She still needs to FILE. She needs to show evidence of filing. end of story. It's not a "little thing" at all, it's important. Sorry you get pissed off because people point out that you're wrong.

(Also you have no idea how much tax britsimon and I have paid so that was a rather wild, and very possibly incorrect, statement you made...)

In case anyone was wondering/wanted official confirmation:

Included under documents to bring to a naturalization interview:
  • Copies of your tax returns for the past five years (or three years if you are married to a U.S. citizen)
http://blog.uscis.gov/2013/10/applying-for-citizenship-what-to-know.html

So technically, I guess you might get away with not having filed in your first year if you are prepared to wait an extra year before you naturalize (assuming that they don't ask you for it as an extra document), but it clearly states that they want to see filings and not just nothing owing.

I see. Watch for your daily commutes back and forth to NY. The border police will not like that and you may end up loosing your card. They want to see you have your home being the US. Otherwise, do not be afraid to open a TT account. I do not have any income from TT or am its employee. It is just such a well developed program that the professionals developed and you will never miss any itemized qualified expense. If you have a question you can save your application, learn the answer and come back and continue with the application.
Hello, Thank you. They said to me that as long as I reside in USA, I can go to work daily to VCanada, but maybe you are right. I only plan to do that for a bit if I decide to, but I am not sure.
Thank you for all your advices.

Bici, would you PLEASE stop repeating this OBVIOUSLY incorrect point of view!

This is VERY simple. A direct quote (in red) from the IRS - and a link below - it could not be any clearer.

Residency Starting Date under the Green Card Test
If you meet the green card test at any time during a calendar year, but do not meet the substantial presence test for that year, your residency starting date is the first day in the calendar year on which you are present in the United States as a lawful permanent resident (the date on which the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has officially approved your petition to become an Immigrant).

If you receive your green card abroad, then the residency starting date is your first day of physical presence in the United States after you receive your green card. Section 7701(b)(1)(A)(i) of the Internal Revenue Code allows you to be treated as a resident alien for the entire calendar year if you were a Lawful Permanent Resident of the United States at any time during the calendar year, if you have been present in the United States for at least one day during the calendar year.

https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/Residency-Starting-and-Ending-Dates

and just in case that isn't clear enough, here is another link...

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p519/ch01.html

Thank you, I do plan to file a tax return . I have been heavily taxed by Canada, as they considered me as I was in Canada for whole year . I hope I do not have to pay any more taxes to USA for previous year. But I will see.

Last edited:
Depending on personal circumstances, it might not necessarily have been a great idea to activate your Green Card on 12/30/2015, due to IRS tax filing obligations. Yet it is what it is, welcome to the brave new world of US tax filings... ;)
There was not much of a choice. Our visas would have expired soon, if not activated, and I had to go with my son. Holidays was best choice. I do not think I will pay taxes as there is a treaty between USA and Canada, and I have already paid a lot of taxes to Canada..but if I have to paymore , that' s it.

There was not much of a choice. Our visas would have expired soon, if not activated, and I had to go with my son. Holidays was best choice. I do not think I will pay taxes as there is a treaty between USA and Canada, and I have already paid a lot of taxes to Canada..but if I have to paymore , that' s it.
Sure, I do understand. Foreign tax credit laws are complex, luckily it won't be difficult, albeit not necessarily cheap, to find knowledgeable advice related to your US/Canada situation. Enclosed a brief overview, if applicable to your case: https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/Foreign-Tax-Credit. Please make sure to specifically highlight your Green Card activation specifics to your tax advisor, hence she/he might not erroneously file 1040NR for you after the activation date. Best of luck!

Sure, I do understand. Foreign tax credit laws are complex, luckily it won't be difficult, albeit not necessarily cheap, to find knowledgeable advice related to your US/Canada situation. Enclosed a brief overview, if applicable to your case: https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/Foreign-Tax-Credit. Please make sure to specifically highlight your Green Card activation specifics to your tax advisor, hence she/he might not erroneously file 1040NR for you after the activation date. Best of luck!
ok, thank you..also do you know if it is easy to import a Canadian car into USA? or better buy a car in USA? thank you

ok, thank you..also do you know if it is easy to import a Canadian car into USA? or better buy a car in USA? thank you
You are welcome. If your car got a sticker (sometimes yet not always located in the door frame), confirming that the vehicle "confirms to all applicable US ... regulations", then it will be rather straight forward to receive a US title for the vehicle from your new US State of Residence. Otherwise my recommendation would be to not even try... Good luck!

You are welcome. If your car got a sticker (sometimes yet not always located in the door frame), confirming that the vehicle "confirms to all applicable US ... regulations", then it will be rather straight forward to receive a US title for the vehicle from your new US State of Residence. Otherwise my recommendation would be to not even try... Good luck!
what if I get a letter from manufacturer that it complies? actually I do not have a car now, but it is much cheaper to buy a car used in Canada now , as CAD is so low compared to USD..also I was told warranty might not be valid in U

what if I get a letter from manufacturer that it complies? actually I do not have a car now, but it is much cheaper to buy a car used in Canada now , as CAD is so low compared to USD..also I was told warranty might not be valid in U

"Most cars sold in the U.S. are built specifically for this market and cars built for the Canadian market may not meet all of the requirements."

"At least 2-3 weeks before importing your vehicle you must contact the manufacturer of the vehicle and ask for a letter stating that your vehicle complies with all applicable U.S. safety and emission standards. The letter must identify your vehicle by the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). Read this letter very carefully.
  • If the manufacturer letter states that the vehicle complies with U.S. safety and emission standards you are good to go.
  • If the manufacturer letter states that the vehicle meets U.S. standards except for minor items you may be able to have these things fixed by an authorized dealer and then present the invoice to U.S. Customs.
  • If the letter lists substantial safety items, such as passive restraint systems, you may be required to use a U.S. DOT-registered importer (RI) to modify the vehicle. This only makes sense if you are importing a very expensive car as the process of bringing it into compliance is complex and costly.
  • If the letter says the vehicle does not meet U.S. emission requirements you may need to import it through an independent commercial importer (ICI). Using an ICI can be costly. You should also realize that individual state emission requirements may differ from those of the federal government. You should contact your state DOT to make sure you know what is needed to register the vehicle in your state."
"As soon as you decide to buy a Canadian vehicle you should call or review the website of each of the following agencies to confirm the required paperwork and current process:
  • U.S. Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) for the port you will be using. See our pages for your specific port to get this telephone number.
  • U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT)
  • The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
  • Your Local State Department of Transportation"
Source: http://www.ezbordercrossing.com/the...port-a-vehicle/importing-vehicle-from-canada/

At the time, we consciously decided against bringing our vehicle into the US from Mexico, which follows similar rules and regulations. It was just not worth the hassle for us.

Last edited:
Hello,

I created an account on USCIS and added our IOE numbers, but when I added them at Form, it says OS155A. We do not want temporary green card, we want green cards.
Do anyone know about this OS155A?

If I try to search My case with Tools without being logged in, it says Error.

Thank you.

Hello,

I created an account on USCIS and added our IOE numbers, but when I added them at Form, it says OS155A. We do not want temporary green card, we want green cards.
Do anyone know about this OS155A?

If I try to search My case with Tools without being logged in, it says Error.

Thank you.

From another forum:
"OS155a is an "Immigrant Visa packet". This is given to those people whose green card was approved in a consular processing abroad. They do not get a physical green card straight away while they are abroad. They receive a stamp in the passport to enter the country and form OS155a to apply for a physical GC right at the port of entry when they enter US. CBP stamps it at the border and submits it to USCIS service center for the issuance of the actual GC..."

From another forum:
"OS155a is an "Immigrant Visa packet". This is given to those people whose green card was approved in a consular processing abroad. They do not get a physical green card straight away while they are abroad. They receive a stamp in the passport to enter the country and form OS155a to apply for a physical GC right at the port of entry when they enter US. CBP stamps it at the border and submits it to USCIS service center for the issuance of the actual GC..."

Ok. thank you. I called USCIS and they could not find our IOE at all. We paid on 7 Dec and entered on 30 Dec. They said to wait 30 days, but they could not even find IOE numbers, and if I try to check online it says User error or something like this. Shall we write an email to someone or just wait..what do you think? Thank you.

Ok. thank you. I called USCIS and they could not find our IOE at all. We paid on 7 Dec and entered on 30 Dec. They said to wait 30 days, but they could not even find IOE numbers, and if I try to check online it says User error or something like this. Shall we write an email to someone or just wait..what do you think? Thank you.
Not sure, the USCIS ELIS/IOE process changed somewhat since our DV entry in 2014, I believe. Suggest to ask for additional input. Good luck!

USCIS said you should wait. So wait.

Hi Guys

I did my POE a few months ago and have since left USA
I am currently studying overseas, (7 months left to graduate)(student=not working=no income)

Do i need to file taxes? If so, how?
I was browsing the IRS website and noticed that i have to submit a physical copy?Is there no electronic way?(currently not in USA)

Thanks

Hi Guys

I did my POE a few months ago and have since left USA
I am currently studying overseas, (7 months left to graduate)(student=not working=no income)

Do i need to file taxes? If so, how?
I was browsing the IRS website and noticed that i have to submit a physical copy?Is there no electronic way?(currently not in USA)

Thanks
"Abandoning Permanent Resident Status
You may also lose your permanent resident status by intentionally abandoning it. You may be found to have abandoned your status if you:
  • Move to another country, intending to live there permanently.
  • Remain outside of the United States for an extended period of time, unless you intended this to be a temporary absence, as shown by:
    • The reason for your trip;
    • How long you intended to be absent from the United States;
    • Any other circumstances of your absence; and
    • Any events that may have prolonged your absence.
    • Note: Obtaining a re-entry permit from USCIS before you leave, or a returning resident visa (SB-1) from a U.S. consulate while abroad, may assist you in showing that you intended only a temporary absence.
  • Fail to file income tax returns while living outside of the United States for any period.
  • Declare yourself a “nonimmigrant” on your U.S. tax returns."
Underline added.

Source: http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/maintaining-permanent-residence

I have a question. Now some company from Austin asked me to travel for an interview on Feb. I have activated my card, but returned to Canada for 1-2 months. Will it be ok to travel to interview and come back? How will that look in regards with the green card? Also, I might get an offer in NY, but I do prefer Austin. Thank you.