• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV-2015 winners and 2016 applicants South america and the Caribbean

Ok - first of all the question you are asking relates to having evidence of your own savings to avoid presenting an affidavit of support. An AOS is a document signed by an American resident to show they will support you if you emigrate there.

Now, to avoid using that in most embassies you could demonstrate having $10,000 savings available for the move. That is $10,000 that will be available to you in the USA - so if that is presented in local currency, you must consider how much that means to actually have $10,000 available in America. So - is there a way you can transfer that much currency outside of Venezuela at the official rate?

Hi Thank you for answering my doubts, there is no possible way to transfer money to USA at official currency, so i have to open an account is USA or use de affidavit of support, another question is if i quit my job and then i got a new one, should i modify my ds-260?

Hi Thank you for answering my doubts, there is no possible way to transfer money to USA at official currency, so i have to open an account is USA or use de affidavit of support, another question is if i quit my job and then i got a new one, should i modify my ds-260?

It isnt essential you correct for new work, but if you have time before becoming current, then why not unlock...

It isnt essential you correct for new work, but if you have time before becoming current, then why not unlock...

My DV Case Number is SaXXXX9** I think that i have time to unlock & modify my ds260 and i think that im using the Affidavit of support, because i dont have $20,000 in the U.S. I have a cousin in the US that is a US Citizen which requirements she must meet?

Hi guys,
I just realized I did not put my high school information on the DS-260, I only wrote details of my bachelor degree and master degree..... would that be a problem? Is it necessary to amend the DS-260 or I can just call it out during my interview....

My interview is in Sydney, from what I heard they are a bit laid-back so it should not be a problem

Thanks for your help......

Hi guys,
I just realized I did not put my high school information on the DS-260, I only wrote details of my bachelor degree and master degree..... would that be a problem? Is it necessary to amend the DS-260 or I can just call it out during my interview....

My interview is in Sydney, from what I heard they are a bit laid-back so it should not be a problem

You really should unlock your DS260 form and fix that, the information is required, you have plenty of time before your CN becomes current.

Hi guys,

You should consider moving to the OC2016 forum if you're interviewing in Sydney since it's more relevant, despite your SA number.

I am here! and I am winner of Dv Lottery 2015, my interview is in November, I am from venezuela!
Hi Jami!
I am from Venezuela too! The best of luck for you in your interview! Please do not forget to share your experience with us after that. I belong to the DV2016 batch but any input is highly welcome! Suerte!

You should consider moving to the OC2016 forum if you're interviewing in Sydney since it's more relevant, despite your SA number.
Good point guestgulkan. I would suggest keeping an eye on both SA and OC threads as useful pieces of info are usually spread everywhere.

So - is there a way you can transfer that much currency outside of Venezuela at the official rate?

There is no way to do that within the restrictive currency exchange policy we have in Venezuela. We have three official rates (6.30, 13.00 and 200.00 -the visa fees are collected at 6.30Bs/USD-) and the black market rate wich is nearly 700...
There is no real way to transfer 10.000 dollars at any official rate. So, with that in mind, i've planned to gather my assets (at free market rate) and put them together with a Job Offer. I've been given a job offer letter from a family friend but it clearly states that "The terms of your employment would begin as soon as you will be able to show us proof of your legal immigrant status here in the U.S... ...We will formalize the terms of your employment in a separate contract which you will be required to sign when you arrive." I'm ok with it. My question is, does this Offer needs some kind of legalization or has to be signed by any authority or notary in the US? Is it good just by having the company's seal, signature and stamp?

Another question i have is relative to my kids. Do they have to be present for the interview? Last year we had all our B1/B2 visas issued but they didn't need to be present at the consulate, just my wife and I.

Saludos!

There is no way to do that within the restrictive currency exchange policy we have in Venezuela. We have three official rates (6.30, 13.00 and 200.00 -the visa fees are collected at 6.30Bs/USD-) and the black market rate wich is nearly 700...
There is no real way to transfer 10.000 dollars at any official rate. So, with that in mind, i've planned to gather my assets (at free market rate) and put them together with a Job Offer. I've been given a job offer letter from a family friend but it clearly states that "The terms of your employment would begin as soon as you will be able to show us proof of your legal immigrant status here in the U.S... ...We will formalize the terms of your employment in a separate contract which you will be required to sign when you arrive." I'm ok with it. My question is, does this Offer needs some kind of legalization or has to be signed by any authority or notary in the US? Is it good just by having the company's seal, signature and stamp?

Another question i have is relative to my kids. Do they have to be present for the interview? Last year we had all our B1/B2 visas issued but they didn't need to be present at the consulate, just my wife and I.

Saludos!

Job offer sounds good.
Usually all children have to be present for IV interview. Ours had to be even though they also did not interview for their B1/B2. Your interview letter will probably say that all visa applicants listed must be present to receive a visa.

Saludos!
Hi Cornelio

The job offer would definitely help. I do not know if there exists a correct format for it but I would suggest a contact name and phone number is a must. They may want to give a call and check if the offer is for real. I am also from Venezuela (although I do no longer live there) and the info I have is they would use the secondary rate (VEF 13.00/USD) instead of the 6.30 to charge the visa fee to your Cadivi approved credit card (your annual "cupo" is calculated at that rate... :( ).

Make sure all your family group (if you included them in your DS260) is present together at the day of the interview. It is clearly written in the DOS official web page.

Best of luck for the upcoming process!

Thanks for your answer @SusieQQQ

Hi Cornelio

The job offer would definitely help. I do not know if there exists a correct format for it but I would suggest a contact name and phone number is a must. They may want to give a call and check if the offer is for real. I am also from Venezuela (although I do no longer live there) and the info I have is they would use the secondary rate (VEF 13.00/USD) instead of the 6.30 to charge the visa fee to your Cadivi approved credit card (your annual "cupo" is calculated at that rate... :( ).

Make sure all your family group (if you included them in your DS260) is present together at the day of the interview. It is clearly written in the DOS official web page.

Best of luck for the upcoming process!

Hi Guarapa! Thanks for the advice! The whole family will be there at the interview! ;)

About the exchange rate used by the Consular Section at Caracas, at the ustraveldocs webpage you can read this:

http://www.ustraveldocs.com/ve/index.html?firstTime=No
Current Consular Exchange Rate : 6.30 VEF = 1 USD
Current Rate Valid Through
: 30/09/2015

When reviewing this document, it says venezuelan bolivars are accepted in cash. http://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Supplemental/CRS - Caracas.pdf

I'm sure they guys with October interviews are going to keep us updated!

Hi Guarapa! Thanks for the advice! The whole family will be there at the interview! ;)

About the exchange rate used by the Consular Section at Caracas, at the ustraveldocs webpage you can read this:
http://www.ustraveldocs.com/ve/index.html?firstTime=No
Current Consular Exchange Rate : 6.30 VEF = 1 USD
Current Rate Valid Through
: 30/09/2015

When reviewing this document, it says venezuelan bolivars are accepted in cash.
That's very very good news for you guys! Hope they keep valid until the time of your interview.

I'm sure they guys with October interviews are going to keep us updated!
Absolutely. I am expectant to hear news from any of them in this regard.

Saludos!

Hi Cornelio! How is it going? Regarding your assests and the exchange rates, how are you going to do to state the value of your assests at black market rate? I mean can it be done at a personal balance letter? I asked for a certified personal balance to state my assests but I didn't add the value in dolars.. just bolivares.. How are you planning to do it?

Hi Cornelio! How is it going? Regarding your assests and the exchange rates, how are you going to do to state the value of your assests at black market rate? I mean can it be done at a personal balance letter? I asked for a certified personal balance to state my assests but I didn't add the value in dolars.. just bolivares.. How are you planning to do it?

Although I'm not Venezuelan, I'm sure the consular officials are acutely aware of the parallel exchange rate. They have no choice but to use the official rate at the embassy, but at the same time they will be aware that you cannot move money out at that rate. For what it's worth, most people in other countries simply show their assets in local currency, so I'd suggest you guys also just show it in bolivars - the CO will be able to figure it out.

Hi Mara! Everything ok! Just like @SusieQQQ said, the assets are shown at local currency, but, for the purpouse of moving that money to the US, i have to think at free market rate.

They have no choice but to use the official rate at the embassy
Yup! It's like they work...

thank you both Susie and Cornelio

I have a question regarding the http://www.ustraveldocs.com/ form you gotta fill in order to get your documents back. this question is for the venezuelans that already did this part. When I get to the part to Specify documentation delivery the only option that gives me is pick up, even though they state above that if you are sending the documents home someone has to be there to receive it for you... so I guess if I only get the pick up option they are not able to deliver it to my home. What have you guys done with that step??

Hi @cmara25! I had no choice but to selct the nearest Zoom post office to pick up the documents. There is no home delivery i guess. The same happened to me last year when i got the visa renewal, DHL wasn't able to deliver it home and I had to go to the post office to pick up the passports.