• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Oceania winners

@CC1

you can call 1800 375 5283 for information for USCIS. When calling from Australia it took me a while to work it out but you dial 0011 1800 375 5283. To help with getting through the menu press #1 (for english) then * (for technical issues) then #8 that way you get a person on the other end. Idid try and use the option #2 which is have an enquiry regarding status of a case but they required me to enter a receipt number, and it wouldn't accept the one I have got. Once I got through the second time to an actual person they were very helpful regarding my wifes apparent non payment!

Hope this helps
Thanks Hershal, great info, I'll try in the morning:)

How did you manage to enter the U.S. on 31 April? :confused:

The receipt number is on your elis account (number starting with "IOE") but will come up as an error on the link above until your account switches from "accepted" to "optimized".

Haha oops, it was March! I've fixed it now :)

I had to ring up and get my password reset as my account had been locked. I'm in now and it says Card Produced so hopefully that means it's on its way soon.

Ticket booked! Just have to pay my USCIS fee and I'm ready. POE LA. Any tips?
I can't tell you anything about LA but at JFK we asked an a customs and immigration guy before we lined up. He told us not to line up with everyone else and told us to walk down to a different area. The signage wasn't the best but there was a room for " new immigrants ". So we cut a lot of time off by doing this. It honestly didn't even feel like getting into a country. Hopefully la has something like this and you don't have to line up forever in the normal line.

I went through LA and I lined up in the Visitor Line (not the one for visa waivers). I saw the guy at that desk first then was told to go down to the New Immigrants area which was down the very end. That's where I handed over my documentation, signed documents and had the ink fingerprints taken. It was very straightforward and easy so nothing to worry about.

Yep at LAX you go in the visitor line and they'll then take you to the right area after they've verified you are a 'new immigrant'. There's no separate line as such. It's the easiest part of the whole process so as long as you've got your passport and sealed envelope, just relax and you'll soon be the newest permanent resident of the United States!

We have just returned to Ontario from a 10 day road trip down the eastern side to Florida. West Virgina/Virginia/North Carolina are (almost) as beautiful as NZ lol. I really wish we were getting our green card now ! My Fav stop was Savannah in Georgia, that place is amazing.

Reactions: CC1
I have heard of one person who has won in this years lottery. Not sure if any others have come forward yet. No one heard from the ever positive Rose?

Me & huzband both re-entered - neither of us was selected. So holding out hope that we get processed for 2015... also going to start looking into other visa options. I'm researching the NIW right now because I have a PhD. Regular ole DV would be easier though!

Sorry @martinskypemartin, I forgot about you guys. Good luck! We kept our boys busy with a book each that they had been DYING to read. Once we got to the MLC building, they were so desperate to read the books that they were silent throughout.

@martinskypemartin, if it helps, when you have the interview, there is nowhere to sit. You all stand at the counter like you're at Medicare. We had the kids stand behind my husband and I. They were also able to crouch down on their haunches or, in my oldest's case, sit cross legged. They must have looked like hillbillies, but no-one seemed to mind and they were so wrapped up in their books that they didn't care either!

So I spent last night (for about an hour) researching Health Insurance. WOW! I didn't realise it was sooooooooo expensive and it didn't cover you 100%. Very confusing with PPO, HMO etc. Going to need to look more into this! I had a read @Britsimon blog and the part regarding health insurance, which cleared up a few things but I still can't believe it! I am looking at being a self employed contractor so I wouldn't get anything covered by my employer as such.

We're in the same position @Hershal. The idea that we would have to pay $10k, which won't even include dental, is eye-watering. We pay close to $5k here and that includes everything.

@EmilyW
Tell me about it, with a newborn on the way Health Insurance is high on my radar. I saw most plans include everything for kids but adults are not really covered. having to pay 20% minimum if your kid injury themselves in a sports game is going to get costly, even if its a broken arm or leg

Where we are planning to live (North Carolina), the prices are marginally better. But not by much. And, like you, I have no intention of working for someone else full time if I can help it, so I will need to find my own coverage (as I'll be my own employer).