• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Oceania winners

That's funny Brit, coming from you! :) :) :) I ain't taking the bus bro, haven't sat on a bus since I was 16. Actually that's a lie, I have been on a bus but only for school trips.

You are a great guy, everyone loves you here so I won't have a smart comment for you! Cheers\

On a serious note! I made that comment mainly because of the left hand /right hand driving - that would the main reason. I think I'd be ok, will take a few driving lessons if it's a problem. I think I'd be okay in a month. My sister said it takes about a month to get used to the roads.
Yep I'd agree with that. I'm in LA where you have to drive EVERYWHERE and I think I started to feel comfortable on the road after about a month. One of the hardest things for me to get used to was turning righ on red and that people expected you to turn when your lane is free, even if there's cars plummeting along in the far lane.

Oh, I love the right on red! It makes so much sense for traffic flow. Where I come from you'd always turn into a free lane if there was traffic in another anyway. The main thing to learn for me was that you stop for school buses even if they are on the other side of the road.
I think people around where I am drive a lot more courteously and calmly than they do in LA though!!!

Thanks for your help guys. When going through customs in Australia on the way out, if you tick "vacation" for activation trip, don't they look at the USA immigration visa in your passport and wonder what's going on? A few other quick questions:
1. can you get your SSN sent to your Aussie address instead of the address that your Green card is being sent to? I plan to go in to an SSA office in HNL during my activation trip.
2. How do you open a USA bank account without a fixed address there first, and do they ask for ID of this address? [ i don't want to use the address i'm using for my Green Card otherwise my friend will start thinking i'm using it for everything lol if he starts getting mail from banks, companies etc.]

That's funny Brit, coming from you! :) :) :) I ain't taking the bus bro, haven't sat on a bus since I was 16. Actually that's a lie, I have been on a bus but only for school trips.

You are a great guy, everyone loves you here so I won't have a smart comment for you! Cheers\

On a serious note! I made that comment mainly because of the left hand /right hand driving - that would the main reason. I think I'd be ok, will take a few driving lessons if it a bit of a problem.

I spent years travelling back and forth from the UK to the USA every two weeks. Constantly switching side of the road. On a couple of jet lagged mornings I have got into the car only to find the driving wheel was on the other side. But other than that, switching is easy - you follow the traffic.

Oh, I love the right on red! It makes so much sense for traffic flow. Where I come from you'd always turn into a free lane if there was traffic in another anyway. The main thing to learn for me was that you stop for school buses even if they are on the other side of the road.
I think people around where I am drive a lot more courteously and calmly than they do in LA though!!!

Whattttt??? we are supposed to stop for school busess??? :rolleyes::rolleyes::oops:

My biggest concern would be drivers licence... not great with the practical driving exams . I did pass my theory and practical the first time.

A US driving test involves driving around a few backstreets, stopping at a stop sign, lane change, back to the office to get your license. No 3 point turn, no reverse parking, no hill starts, automatic and manual licenses the same.

I was also worried the first time I drove on the right hand side of the road. My first experience was when the father in law gave me his audi in germany packed with his 11 year old daughter and my partner and told me to take them to the skiing resort. Let me remind you that it was german autobahns (no limit) and snowing (and was my first time seeing snow) it was a "fun" experience. You get used to the Right hand side pretty easy its remembering where the indicators are that get you as you turn a corner and the windscreen wipers come on.

A US driving test involves driving around a few backstreets, stopping at a stop sign, lane change, back to the office to get your license. No 3 point turn, no reverse parking, no hill starts, automatic and manual licenses the same.
Phew! Thank God for that! I should be okay then.

In NZ its so complicated.... They will fail you if your tail lights aren't working... Even more problems if you're an Indian gal.

I love this forum - it really is funny at times and cheers me / us up - hey does everybody sit at their keyboard and smile at all the great experiencs everyone has on their journey through life intot he USA like I do?

@guestgulkan - was just going to ask that question about driving tests - my teenage daughter has noticed that in some States of the US you can get a driver license a way lot younger than in Oz - you know where this is heading right? lol

I love this forum - it really is funny at times and cheers me / us up - hey does everybody sit at their keyboard and smile at all the great experiencs everyone has on their journey through life intot he USA like I do?
I do... I was here for a month, reading all the comments before I decided to write something.. I am glad I found this forum, you can ask questions without feeling a little stupid ( I think someone has asked this question before me??) lol. I feel... we all in this together. I am not scared of receiving constructive criticism.... I just take it in and digest whatever it maybe. :)... its all good mate!!

So yeah I love reading other people experiences and advice!
if you're already in USA and looking for a job... indeed.com is a good place to start with (I'm sure some might know this already).

Last edited:

Lol, mine was slightly more complex than that, but not difficult. I'd guess btw no difference between manual and auto and no hill starts because most drive automatics...
I think they also do different tests depending on if you are experienced or not. I had no parking tests but first time drivers were given them.

Hershel re where the indicators are... That is car dependent not side of the road dependent !! German and Japanese cars have them on different sides. I'm driving the same make of car I used to and the indicators are still on the same side of the steering wheel, even though the steering wheel is on the other side of the car ;)

Phew! Thank God for that! I should be okay then.

In NZ its so complicated.... They will fail you if your tail lights aren't working...

There is a checklist you need to do before you take your test and they won't allow you to do it if any stuff like this doesn't work either. You also need to show them you know where all buttons /switches including the demisters are. And the hand signals, which confused my husband because the one turn signal here means "stop” where we come from!!

Last edited:
@guestgulkan - was just going to ask that question about driving tests - my teenage daughter has noticed that in some States of the US you can get a driver license a way lot younger than in Oz - you know where this is heading right? lol

Here in CA it's 16, but there are certain restrictions (like not driving after a certain time at night) till you are 18. Then, drinking age is only 21. So kids drive themselves to high school which is wonderful for parents, and get a good 5 years driving experience before they are (legally) allowed to drink, which to my mind makes more sense than giving kids the car keys and the liquor cabinet keys on the same day...

@SusieQQQ
I have also driven different cars over here in aus. Also trucks have indicators on the opposite side.

Was just saying that after driving a car for years with indicators on one side. That's the only issue I had driving in the right hand side of the road. :)

Thank god I didn't drive down the wrong side of the road. Ha

For me driving was really hard and the couple of times I drove it was a struggle. When taking the rental car back to DFW airport, I almost caused an accident. Hubby did 20,000 miles towing a 34' RV so some people pick it up straight away. Will need lots of practice before taking the test especially if we are in Colorado as I don't want to have to deal with snowy roads too.

Has anyone done the activation trip come back for the 300 odd days to their country of origin, then entered with their green card to USA again before exciting again for a few months to country of origin before returning for good to USA, we have just had a work opportunity come up which we would be nuts to refuse but it would mean living in Aussie for another 2 years, I really don't want to give up this green card and wondered if anyone had done the double trip across a 2 year period:)

Has anyone done the activation trip come back for the 300 odd days to their country of origin, then entered with their green card to USA again before exciting again for a few months to country of origin before returning for good to USA, we have just had a work opportunity come up which we would be nuts to refuse but it would mean living in Aussie for another 2 years, I really don't want to give up this green card and wondered if anyone had done the double trip across a 2 year period:)

The first bit yes, doing it again might lead to problems on your second re-entry, as there would be valid grounds for the cbp officer to question if you have abandoned residency, especially if you haven't kept up to date with all your tax obligations during your absences. If you really want to do this, would suggest you apply for a re-entry permit on your activation trip as that gives you two years without really risking your green card.