• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Oceania winners

You can't change the DS260 now, @martinskypemartin. Your file will be with Sydney.

The checklist you have to fill out for the Sydney interview has a place to put your US address. Failing that, you can change the address at the POE.

Last edited:
Hi guys,
I am about to activate my visa in Hawaii, what is the procedure in terms of departure Customs forms in Australia and arrival Customs forms in USA if i'm only going on a 2 week activation trip? Do i fill in "leaving Australia permanently"? or state my reason for departing to USA as "temporary or vacation"? [as it is only a visa activation trip]. On the USA arrival side, do i need to fill in an arrival customs form stating "temporary stay"? [or do most people not fill in a form and just hand the embassy package at POE?]. Lastly, do i queue up in the visitors section as i would on a visa waiver?, or do most major USA airports have a "new immigrant" line? Just slightly confused as i'm only doing an activation trip with a plan for a move there within 6 months.

The customs forms only asks what you've brought in. You don't need to fill in the immigration form, which is the one that would ask about address,purpose of trip etc.

We bought our one way tickets Melb - Honolulu just before Xmas for $320 ea. Couldn't pass on that price and we are flying Jetstar. Love the sound of one way tickets! When we entered via Honolulu last time on B1/B2 it was very relaxing with small queues and I think it would be a similar experience for POE. Not to mention the 9 hr flight which is much less than direct to LAX. For those that haven't been to Oahu I recommend the North Shore (Turtle Bay Resort was great and good snorkelling there and Shark's Cove), Waikiki is very commercial although the USS Arizona Memorial is worth a visit. We are going to the Big Island for a vacation this time.

Thanks for all your help @EmilyW I'm one week from interview and getting really excited. Hotel booked 15 minutes walk from the consulate. It's getting real! Another quick question. Post interview and Visa acceptance (fingers crossed) can you enter on a one way ticket or do you need to activate it on a return ticket? I'm hoping to just book a one way after the interview for around June 16 to LAX. I ask as it seems everyone is doing a return ticket.

Thanks for all your help @EmilyW I'm one week from interview and getting really excited. Hotel booked 15 minutes walk from the consulate. It's getting real! Another quick question. Post interview and Visa acceptance (fingers crossed) can you enter on a one way ticket or do you need to activate it on a return ticket? I'm hoping to just book a one way after the interview for around June 16 to LAX. I ask as it seems everyone is doing a return ticket.
You can most certainly enter on a one way ticket and never return, once your visa is approved. I'd say it's been about 50/50 on this thread of people entering for good v activation only trip. Either way won't make an ounce of difference to your POE experience.

We would of loved to been able to just fly one way and move straight away. But everyones situation is different. For us we had to fly over and activate pretty much straight away as my Wife is pregnant and this was the only time we could fly to activate before the 6 months where up. Plus we planned on having the baby in Australia as we had all our health assurances and everything in place already. We did not expect or rely on getting the visa so continued on living our lives as we normally would. Doing an activation trip does give yo a bit of breathing room to sell up house if you need to, arrange a lot more and close down affairs at home. We haven't even started yet but we do know its going to be a lot of work. I thought moving interstate was going to be hard, packing up leaving for a whole new country. Now thats a big move. Exciting too!!!

I've moved states but not countries. Husband has moved countries twice and assures me it's a breeze. I don't believe him.

I've moved states but not countries. Husband has moved countries twice and assures me it's a breeze. I don't believe him.

I've moved countries a couple of times. It's not that bad if you're good at paperwork. I get a weird OCD satisfaction from ploughing through it all. The most annoying for me is credit cards because it feels insulting when they give you a card with a micro limit or they deny you.

Social Number - Typical government annoyance
Bank Account - Easy
Drivers License - Driving tests are super easy compared to Australia
Credit Card - Takes quite a while to get a decent limit. A year or so? Unless you use the AMEX, Citibank etc shortcuts

I'm good at paperwork so maybe it won't be so bad then.

@guestgulkan, every time I see your avatar, I imagine you are sitting at your computer with a white beard, furrowed brow and angry expression. ;)

That's funny Brit, coming from you! :) :) :) I ain't taking the bus bro, haven't sat on a bus since I was 16. Actually that's a lie, I have been on a bus but only for school trips.

You are a great guy, everyone loves you here so I won't have a smart comment for you! Cheers\

On a serious note! I made that comment mainly because of the left hand /right hand driving - that would the main reason. I think I'd be ok, will take a few driving lessons if it's a problem. I think I'd be okay in a month. My sister said it takes about a month to get used to the roads.

Last edited: