• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Oceania winners

In some ways, we don't want the safety net of keeping the house. If we do come back, not having the house will force us to make different decisions and not revert back to the same old life.

But there is no way in hell we're converting large amounts in 2015. 2016 maybe but we're keeping our money here for the time being.

@EmilyW
Yeah I do agree, I don't want to go back to the same lifestyle "IF" we return, however I would like Safety Net of a solid investment in Australia. I think its safer than the US market. Could be wrong. Like I said.... lots of research to do yet...

In some ways, we don't want the safety net of keeping the house. If we do come back, not having the house will force us to make different decisions and not revert back to the same old life.

But there is no way in hell we're converting large amounts in 2015. 2016 maybe but we're keeping our money here for the time being.

I kept my UK house and I am glad I did. The value has risen, the rent covers the mortgage and the tax on the profit us minimal as you can offset various costs. Anytime you have a choice to hold property rather than selling, you hold, unless you fear an impending price crash.

I kept my UK house and I am glad I did. The value has risen, the rent covers the mortgage and the tax on the profit us minimal as you can offset various costs. Anytime you have a choice to hold property rather than selling, you hold, unless you fear an impending price crash.
This is definitely something we need to look into. We would be in the same situation, the rent would defiantly cover the mortgage. I just worry about tax as stated as from what I can work out you would have to include your Australian income on your US tax return and then again your US income in Australia. And Australia being a high tax bracket would have to pay higher tax in Australia.

Again need to see my accountant before making any rash decisions.

This is definitely something we need to look into. We would be in the same situation, the rent would defiantly cover the mortgage. I just worry about tax as stated as from what I can work out you would have to include your Australian income on your US tax return and then again your US income in Australia. And Australia being a high tax bracket would have to pay higher tax in Australia.

Again need to see my accountant before making any rash decisions.

Don't forget, once you leave Australia you may have a different tax scenario - so yeah, check with an accountant. However, if you have a mortgage you will most likely be better off keeping the house. The leverage of the equity (the mortgage) means you are making gains on other peoples money. And yeah - you pay tax when you make profit - but avoiding tax by making no money is not such a good plan.

Anyone else looking at that bloody dollar and crying, from the time we started this exercise until now we are going to lose 30% of our money when we transfer it all to American dollars, it's making me wonder whether this is actually what I want ( has anyone else had these awful thoughts) :(
wait for a few weeks, things will look a little better in a few weeks.

Reactions: CC1

wise decision!

Hey guys been a while since I've updated! 2015 has been a manic year already that's for sure. EmilyW so glad to here you're in!

After a week of freaking that I hadn't received my 2NL I rang the KCC (march 23rd) to be told it had been processed that day! Sure enough my interview is scheduled in London for May 6th. :) I completed the medical and with that is all fine (despite needing a two little jabs - another MMR and Dip/Tet). So now it's just playing the waiting game and ensuring I have all the paperwork in check.

I think the only thing with paperwork I'm unsure about is my Police certificates: as I jumped the gun in a big way anticipating my interview would be in later 2014 I got my police certificates sorted 8 months ago. So should I get a new ones? I have read everywhere that they are valid for 12 months but in the back of my mind I swear I read somewhere that they should be dated <6 months before interview date... Any thoughts?

Thanks!

We will be shipping things over too. I have a book collection that goes with me wherever I go, plus my IMAC and my shoe collection (I'm the original Carrie with over 200 pairs, and I wear all of them). The boys are happy to travel light but I will be princessing my way to the USA.
Is it safe to ship a computer? I need my iMac also and was wondering what my options were...

Hey guys been a while since I've updated! 2015 has been a manic year already that's for sure. EmilyW so glad to here you're in!

After a week of freaking that I hadn't received my 2NL I rang the KCC (march 23rd) to be told it had been processed that day! Sure enough my interview is scheduled in London for May 6th. :) I completed the medical and with that is all fine (despite needing a two little jabs - another MMR and Dip/Tet). So now it's just playing the waiting game and ensuring I have all the paperwork in check.

I think the only thing with paperwork I'm unsure about is my Police certificates: as I jumped the gun in a big way anticipating my interview would be in later 2014 I got my police certificates sorted 8 months ago. So should I get a new ones? I have read everywhere that they are valid for 12 months but in the back of my mind I swear I read somewhere that they should be dated <6 months before interview date... Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Hey! I'll be doing mine in London too .

Was it easy enough to get the police records for Aus and the UK? My number isnt current yet, but I'm wondering if I should start to pull these things together...

Hey! I'll be doing mine in London too .

Was it easy enough to get the police records for Aus and the UK? My number isnt current yet, but I'm wondering if I should start to pull these things together...

Hey - yeah that was really easy. For those of us Aussies who live abroad you can complete everything for Aus Police Certificate Online (need to upload passport I believe) and over here in the UK you only need to gather a few things (1 photo 45x35, certified copy of passport, documents that have your address) and then send off to ACRO with a money transfer. It took only max 3 weeks to get everything together, send them off and get everything back so definitely wait until your number is current and dont do what I did haha.

I just need to find out if I have to do the UK one again now as I got it done in June 2014!

All the best.

I swear every time I log on here I think of more questions... grrr.

So two more things that have just sprung to mind. Since I completed the DS-260 I had a holiday to the US (Halloween in NYC :) ) but I didn't unlock the DS260 to update and enter that trip in my last 5 visits to the US question. Will that matter? As I assume it's too late to unlock with my IV in just over two weeks...

And lastly just after my interview was confirmed I had to move house, so I'm now in a short let in a flat before (hopefully) moving to NYC. Will it matter I haven't updated that with the DS260?

Thanks again oh wise ones.

I swear every time I log on here I think of more questions... grrr.

So two more things that have just sprung to mind. Since I completed the DS-260 I had a holiday to the US (Halloween in NYC :) ) but I didn't unlock the DS260 to update and enter that trip in my last 5 visits to the US question. Will that matter? As I assume it's too late to unlock with my IV in just over two weeks...

And lastly just after my interview was confirmed I had to move house, so I'm now in a short let in a flat before (hopefully) moving to NYC. Will it matter I haven't updated that with the DS260?

Thanks again oh wise ones.

No you don't need to unlock your DS260 for these.

Good on ya, @Zshep! I'd updated our spreadsheet for your interview. :)

Re the police checks, personally, I'd get the ACRO one redone. Just because you are living there and (in their minds) anything could have happened from June 2014 last year. It might not make a difference at all but you don't want to get asked the question on the day. I'd leave the AU one alone if you haven't been back to Oz since the time of the check.

We also kept our property in New Zealand when we left for Canada. The first few months here were really hard, much harder than I anticipated, I didn't really think about 'culture shock' when moving to another commonwealth country. Canada is way more American than they would like to admit LOL. Having that home to go to is what actually kept here because we knew if we really wanted to, we could head home again, it felt safe to keep trying knowing the safety net would catch us.. I think had we sold, we might have actually packed up and travelled a bit then headed home, to the same old same old that was our comfort zone.
The property ( which is a farm) also provides a small income, and increases in value every few years.
We still have the place, but when and if we are committed to being an expat, we may sell to free up capital for a new home here.
We still hope to get into USA, and have re-entered the lottery for 2016, but our chances might be better for getting in once My husband has finished his training.
On Friday he was offered work in Jamaica !! haha, how cool would that be :)

Housing's an interesting subject. I would be honest the first attraction when we applied for the DV was about the States having affordable housing.
The loan to income ratios are so skewed in Auckland that it ain't uncommon for people to put 70% of their weekly income into a mortgage payment
And if you are doing that for 30 years there is something surely wrong

Housing's an interesting subject. I would be honest the first attraction when we applied for the DV was about the States having affordable housing.
The loan to income ratios are so skewed in Auckland that it ain't uncommon for people to put 70% of their weekly income into a mortgage payment
And if you are doing that for 30 years there is something surely wrong

THAT Sort Of Comment And The Height ID The aus dollar, Makes Me Think Australia Will Hit A Rough patch...

THAT Sort Of Comment And The Height ID The aus dollar, Makes Me Think Australia Will Hit A Rough patch...
Yep, its a hard decision to make. Leave the House in Aus, or move it all abroad. Thing is we are lucky as we don't actually owe anything on our house. So its a matter if we sell and take the whole lot to US, or keep it and take out another mortgage? We were even thinking of getting another investment property before we left.
But again need to really see a financial advisor and our Accountant

Yep, its a hard decision to make. Leave the House in Aus, or move it all abroad. Thing is we are lucky as we don't actually owe anything on our house. So its a matter if we sell and take the whole lot to US, or keep it and take out another mortgage? We were even thinking of getting another investment property before we left.
But again need to really see a financial advisor and our Accountant

Yeah, to me you are better off if you have a mortage - you are using other peoples money, you rent the property out, they pay the mortgage and you get the capital appreciate of offset the mortgage against the rent so don't pay so much tax. The nice thing about doing that on a house you leave abroad is that you hedge the bet and really don't negatively impact your mortgageability in the USA - plus you hedge your bets on longer term currency and property market fluctuations, and so on and so on.

Plus you respect the golden rule of property investments - never sell if you can avoid it....

@reeko we have our May interview in the morning after 9am - feel free to touch base if you see us - we will be the family with the 2 daughters looking TOTALLY BORED because security took their "everything elelctronic" for a mere few minutes of their precious lives .. haha.

Ha ha, I will be sympathising with them! I’m up at 10:45AM so will definitely keep an eye out for you guys. Is anyone else on the same day?