• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Oceania winners

What do you mean by "not all the visas were allocated"?
well, from memory, there have been more that 500 visas available for Fiji but less than that were issued? what could the reasons be and what happened to the visas that were left over?

I was born in Fiji, missionary parents.... that is why the interest. Thanks

well, from memory, there have been more that 500 visas available for Fiji but less than that were issued? what could the reasons be and what happened to the visas that were left over?

I still don't understand what you mean by "available". Do you mean the number selected? It's very typical for final issuance to be less than half the number selected (exactly why they select more than double the number of visas available, and why number of selectees does not equal number of visas available). Many people decide not to pursue the visas, and a portion do apply but get denied.

As SusieQQQ says there is some confusion here. No country has their own quota...

I still don't understand what you mean by "available". Do you mean the number selected? It's very typical for final issuance to be less than half the number selected (exactly why they select more than double the number of visas available, and why number of selectees does not equal number of visas available). Many people decide not to pursue the visas, and a portion do apply but get denied.

Each country has specific amount of visa available.... as a whole!

Yes, exactly, I was a little surprised with Britismon's data shared above, that all. Fiji is a little country, used to be a great place to live, most of the people have immigrated to Canada, USA, NZ , UK & Australia.... so many unused visas!!

maybe I'm mistaken... I could have just looked at the amount of visa issued the previous year.

It's per region, not country. "Oceania" has the quota.

The number of visas issued per country really depends on the number of applicants from that country eg Nepal get more visas than Indonesia despite being smaller because more people apply. Nepal has a high "application density".

It's per region, not country. "Oceania" has the quota.

The number of visas issued per country really depends on the number of applicants from that country eg Nepal get more visas than Indonesia despite being smaller because more people apply. Nepal has a high "application density".
Yes, perhaps!

I was looking at this data from 2012, The following is the statistical breakdown by foreign-state chargeability of those registered for the DV-2013 Immigration Program
OCEANIA
AUSTRALIA
MICRONESIA, FEDERATES STATES OF
PAPUA NEW GUINEA
- Christmas Island
NAURU
SAMOA
- Cocos Islands
NEW ZEALAND
SOLOMON ISLANDS
- Norfolk Island
- Cook Islands
TONGA
FIJI
- Niue
TUVALU
KIRIBATI
- Tokelau
VANUATU
MARSHALL ISLANDS
PALAU
WESTERN SAMOA

Cheers

Yes, perhaps!

I was looking at this data from 2012, The following is the statistical breakdown by foreign-state chargeability of those registered for the DV-2013 Immigration Program
OCEANIA
AUSTRALIA
MICRONESIA, FEDERATES STATES OF
PAPUA NEW GUINEA
- Christmas Island
NAURU
SAMOA
- Cocos Islands
NEW ZEALAND
SOLOMON ISLANDS
- Norfolk Island
- Cook Islands
TONGA
FIJI
- Niue
TUVALU
KIRIBATI
- Tokelau
VANUATU
MARSHALL ISLANDS
PALAU
WESTERN SAMOA

Cheers

That is the number of OC region selectees for DV2013.

Entries - people that register
Selectees - people chosen for further processing
Issued - people processed that actually get the GC.

That is the number of OC region selectees for DV2013.

Entries - people that register
Selectees - people chosen for further processing
Issued - people processed that actually get the GC.

And to reiterate, there are more selectees than visas available so it does not at all reflect the latter.

Well today is our last day in the U.S. We are about to head back to Perth to start our journey of packing everything up and selling up. Getting ready to leave in December.

We managed to get bank accounts sorted not an issue.

SSN was another issue. We ended up having to go back in a second time in New York and apply again as they were not done with the visa application. So now we have to wait another 2-3 weeks

Not a big deal though as we got a few months to try and build a credit score.

Hopefully get some sort of score in 8 months that will help us get by once we get over here for good

This was my first trip to the USA. My wife had been here before a few times. We spent most of our time in Florida which I did enjoy. Spent two days in New York. That in my honest opinion did not enjoy as much. Although it's a big city and a lot to see. I found it way too busy and way too crowded for my liking. Each to there own.

I am hoping as we are moving to Houston that we will enjoy that too.

Well today is our last day in the U.S. We are about to head back to Perth to start our journey of packing everything up and selling up. Getting ready to leave in December.

We managed to get bank accounts sorted not an issue.

SSN was another issue. We ended up having to go back in a second time in New York and apply again as they were not done with the visa application. So now we have to wait another 2-3 weeks

Not a big deal though as we got a few months to try and build a credit score.

Hopefully get some sort of score in 8 months that will help us get by once we get over here for good

This was my first trip to the USA. My wife had been here before a few times. We spent most of our time in Florida which I did enjoy. Spent two days in New York. That in my honest opinion did not enjoy as much. Although it's a big city and a lot to see. I found it way too busy and way too crowded for my liking. Each to there own.

I am hoping as we are moving to Houston that we will enjoy that too.
Wow, that's a huge leap of faith to commit moving to a country you've never visited before! Glad you got most of the stuff sorted out, I'm sure you will be fine. New York is one of my absolute favoriate cities, but I'm a city person so I thrive on that environment. If you're more of a country/peaceful person I can see how it could be a bit much. Good luck with your preparations for the move in December!

So I'm about to book in my medical test/vaccinations - and from previous reports it sounds like Dr Waks in George St is the way to go. How long do I need to allow for the appointment? An hour or two?

We have booked in Dr Waks in 2 weeks - there are four of us (2A + 2C) and basically we are his only appointment for that day as it takes 2 hours for each person. (exam, vacc, xray, docs)

@Hershal ... your thoughts on FL ? We are considering FL, if we get throught he interview ok.

My wife has family in Oregon, but it is cold - we were there last year at the end of summer (their summer) and they were raving how warm it had been (still rained while we were there, as always) - I do not call 18-20 deg C hot or even warm! Interestingly, did you know that more US citizen moved net from another (crowded / polluted) US state to (environmentaly aware) Oregon last year 2014 than any other. Seems hard to believe, but I read the stats on ?? Trulia (can't remember) or one of those places, report released just before Easter. It is beautiful, unpolluted, a bit like Tasmania, but I've spent time in Tassy, and all cold states are off my shopping list. So ANYONE out there that has thoughts on Southern states and FL - please chip in. Thank you.

I wasn't a fan of the southern parts of Florida. Apparently a lot of crime there, especially near Miami. Up in northern Florida is pretty nice, around St Augustine

So I'm about to book in my medical test/vaccinations - and from previous reports it sounds like Dr Waks in George St is the way to go. How long do I need to allow for the appointment? An hour or two?
Yeah it took about two hours. You have to walk up the Street and around the corner to have chest X-rays so if they are busy it may take longer. I didn't wait long there though. Also just up the hall from his office is where you have the blood test, again I didn't wait long there either. Allow at least two hours, but three to be sure. It's him filling in all the paperwork and traipsing all over the countryside that takes time.
Oh and don't go to the toilet before you get there because you have to pee in a jar as soon as you arrive.

@Hershal ... your thoughts on FL ? We are considering FL, if we get throught he interview ok.

My wife has family in Oregon, but it is cold - we were there last year at the end of summer (their summer) and they were raving how warm it had been (still rained while we were there, as always) - I do not call 18-20 deg C hot or even warm! Interestingly, did you know that more US citizen moved net from another (crowded / polluted) US state to (environmentaly aware) Oregon last year 2014 than any other. Seems hard to believe, but I read the stats on ?? Trulia (can't remember) or one of those places, report released just before Easter. It is beautiful, unpolluted, a bit like Tasmania, but I've spent time in Tassy, and all cold states are off my shopping list. So ANYONE out there that has thoughts on Southern states and FL - please chip in. Thank you.
@martinskypemartin

I guess I haven't seen much more than Florida and New York City. So I can be pretty bias here and say Florida is amazing not knowing the rest of the country very well.

My thoughts on Florida is this.

We went there in March and it was still warm. Around the 80F mark. I thought the weather was beautiful. I can't say much about miami as I only stayed in North Miami beach for one night when we got in before we drove down to the keys. Unfortunately we tried to spend a few hours in Miami but there was a spring break festival on and it was mental there.

Florida keys. Is nice but not what I expected. We went to an "award winning" beach only to be covered in sea weed. I guess I am spoilt when it comes to Perth beaches. However the water was unbelievably warm. Which is a good thing. We stayed on the island of marathon and went for a day trip down to key west which was also nice. However unless your a millionaire you couldn't really live down here in my opinion.

After this we went to Cape Coral on the east coast of Florida near fort Myers. I did enjoy it over here. It was less busy but still suburbian. We rented a propert on a canal with the parents in law as we were on an Easter holiday together. It was nice big home. But lots of construction. We were in a new area that was not finished yet.

After that. We went to Tampa for a day and had a look around the city and at Petersburg. Lovely area. I really liked it here. After that Cocoa beach / Cape Canaveral back on the west coast. This was amazing. Especially Kennedy space centre. Then after his drove up to Jacksonville to fly out of Florida.

My over all option of florida. I loved it. Weather was amazing. And there was a few storms in the afternoon but that was great too. There are alligators around. Being the Everglades down south but you kind of get used to it though. People are super friendly. Honestly did not expect It. I would hold doors open for people and they would be super greatful for it. People in shops would ask you if you need help and customer service I found was amazing. I think that it's starting to lack in Australia these days.

If I could find work in Florida I would move there tomorrow. However due to being in the oil and gas industry it isn't to be and Houston will be my choice.

I haven't been to the southern states but my brother has. He loved it there too. But did say it's amazing for a holiday but not so for living.

Wow, that's a huge leap of faith to commit moving to a country you've never visited before! Glad you got most of the stuff sorted out, I'm sure you will be fine. New York is one of my absolute favoriate cities, but I'm a city person so I thrive on that environment. If you're more of a country/peaceful person I can see how it could be a bit much. Good luck with your preparations for the move in December!
It's not that I hated New York. It was more that we were only there for one day and tried to cram everything in. It's a beautiful city and everything. But I can't imagine living without a car and using the metro all the time.

Probably didn't help that I dragged my pregnant wife around New York all day and it's not really pregnant friendly. There isn't many places to sit inside out of the cold. And all the sight seeing places are a bit far to walk so you have to metro/taxi it. Which at $3 each for a single trip adds up. Can't believe they don't have a day pass or a tourist pass.

I also found that people in New York were rude compared to Florida. But then again. Only one day. Tired and trying to cram it in.