• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Oceania winners

A lot of the other regions seem to have delays with people with numbers below the cutoff getting their 2NL for October. Does anyone know if OC is experiencing the same thing? Is there a chance October OC selectees will spill into November?

A lot of the other regions seem to have delays with people with numbers below the cutoff getting their 2NL for October. Does anyone know if OC is experiencing the same thing? Is there a chance October OC selectees will spill into November?

Yes it will be happening everywhere. It is due to a backlog of processing the DS260 forms, and it seems people who submitted even 3 or 4 weeks after the May 19 start are being delayed...

Yes it will be happening everywhere. It is due to a backlog of processing the DS260 forms, and it seems people who submitted even 3 or 4 weeks after the May 19 start are being delayed...
This will probably mean very little movement in case numbers for Oceania in the October visa bulletin? Maybe only 50?

It seems bizarre that they are having more problems processing an online form than all the hard copy documentation that used to be sent in by post. I thought the DS260 was supposed to streamline things...

It seems bizarre that they are having more problems processing an online form than all the hard copy documentation that used to be sent in by post. I thought the DS260 was supposed to streamline things...

True, but imagine how many forms they have to process in the first couple of months of the year. It is probably more than 80% of the form processing for the entire year.

True, but imagine how many forms they have to process in the first couple of months of the year. It is probably more than 80% of the form processing for the entire year.

Do you say that because it would be more gradual with the postal forms because people wouldn't send them all in at once?

I would have also thought that they didn't need to process all the DS260 forms at once, couldn't they just process the forms for the selectees whose CNs are going current? Either way, hopefully they get it under control so there's minimal surprises/disruption for the 2015 DV!

I've updated our list...

Tonis - xx (less than CN15) - October
Ozimattskey - 6x - October
CC1 - 1xx - October
ECM - 2xx - October
Stephenau - 2xx - October
HaydenS - 3xx - October

Essey - 4xx
OC_EMS - 4xx
SuicideBlonde - 4xx
nzangeleyes - 5xx
Aussiegemma - 6xx
Kiwione - 6xx
Deb7A - 7xx
CBDK - 9xx
EmilyW - 9xx
Zshep - 9xx
nycsteph - 13xx
Guestgulkan - 14xx
Japanaus - 14xx
Connectedspace - 15xx
Aussiecatherine - 16xx
Saltwaterlily - 163x
Kellie - 17xx
MrKiwi - 18xx
hopefulinnz - 19xx
AussieInLDN - 21xx
Codyf21 - 21xx
Abbie - 22xx

Do you say that because it would be more gradual with the postal forms because people wouldn't send them all in at once?

I would have also thought that they didn't need to process all the DS260 forms at once, couldn't they just process the forms for the selectees whose CNs are going current? Either way, hopefully they get it under control so there's minimal surprises/disruption for the 2015 DV!

What Simon says, but also:
They started the process three weeks later than usual. That delay at the start of the year, I imagine, has been a big factor.
It's a new system for KCC so even though it's been in use for NVC I imagine there have been teething problems at KCC.
I'm not sure about the last question, it would make sense they focus on those current, but possibly there isn't a way to sort the forms that way (don't forget the DS forms are not principally designed for DV), or possibly it's part of the changeover that as they never did that before with manual forms they don't now and it just needs someone to think about changing the process.
I think the three week delay in opening the forms and learning the new system have been the major factors and I'm betting it will move faster both through the rest of this year and next year.

Every time I panic, Susie rocks my world with a logical, cogent and calm analysis of what's going on.

Well yeah - it will get better. The first three months of the year tend to be slower anyway - and the processing timeline might be a part of that...

You should really look at the information regarding education and work requirements and decide whether it's worth going through the cost (medicals, interview fee etc) if it seems pretty clear that you are not eligible. It sucks if you arent eligible but it'll suck even more if you pay in excess of $500 only to be told so.
Yeah Im trying to get some information on this but it's not easy, as I wont be going to all the expense for nothing. Just another waiting game, while I wait to hear back.

If you don't have a high school certificate, your only hope is work experience.

From what I understand, it's a more difficult route but it's do-able.

If you don't have a high school certificate, your only hope is work experience.

From what I understand, it's a more difficult route but it's do-able.
Unfortunately my job is not on the list, so here I am an intelligent health care professional and I am not smart enough or skilled enough, yet someone who just has their HSC is. I can't believe that is the situation I find myself in. Without a doubt this is the most stressful thing I have ever been through.

I find it strange too. I assume there is logic behind the requirement but I do wonder why advanced education (diplomas and degrees) would not count instead of high school.

I find it strange too. I assume there is logic behind the requirement but I do wonder why advanced education (diplomas and degrees) would not count instead of high school.
I have not read anywhere that they don't count, only that HSC make up courses don't count. G.E.D's and the like. I will wait til I hear back from them before I panic too much, as I will only believe it when I hear it from the horse's mouth

I've updated our list...

Tonis - xx (less than CN15) - October
Ozimattskey - 6x - October
CC1 - 1xx - October
ECM - 2xx - October
Stephenau - 2xx - October
HaydenS - 3xx - October

Essey - 4xx
OC_EMS - 4xx
SuicideBlonde - 4xx
nzangeleyes - 5xx
Aussiegemma - 6xx
Kiwione - 6xx
Deb7A - 7xx
CBDK - 9xx
EmilyW - 9xx
Zshep - 9xx
nycsteph - 13xx
Guestgulkan - 14xx
Japanaus - 14xx
Connectedspace - 15xx
Aussiecatherine - 16xx
Saltwaterlily - 163x
Kellie - 17xx
MrKiwi - 18xx
hopefulinnz - 19xx
AussieInLDN - 21xx
Codyf21 - 21xx
Abbie - 22xx

Thanks EmilyW you are a gem for this. :)

Last edited:
I have not read anywhere that they don't count, only that HSC make up courses don't count. G.E.D's and the like. I will wait til I hear back from them before I panic too much, as I will only believe it when I hear it from the horse's mouth

The requirement is very clearly defined. Here is the rule:-

9 FAM 42.33 N7 “HIGH SCHOOL EDUCATION OR
EQUIVALENT”
(CT:VISA-1768; 10-31-2011)
The consular office must adjudicate the applicant’s qualifications under this
requirement. In order to register for the DV program, the alien need not prove
that this requirement is met. The applicant must, however, meet this requirement
at the time of visa application.

9 FAM 42.33 N7.1 Definitions
(CT:VISA-910; 10-23-2007)
The Department’s interpretation of the term “high school education or its
equivalent” means successful completion of a:
(1) Twelve-year course of elementary and secondary study in the United
States; or
(2) Formal course of elementary and secondary education comparable to
completion of 12 years elementary or secondary education in the United
States. Because a United States high school education is sufficient in itself
to qualify a student to apply for college admission, in order for a foreign
education to be equivalent to a United States education, it should be
sufficient to allow a student to apply for college admission without further
education
. Vocational degrees that are not considered a basis for further
academic study will not be considered equivalent to United States high
school education.

The "elementary or secondary education" is key and the college admission bit.

Regarding your work experience, there are several healthcare roles that meet the requirement, and you might be able to align your role with a more favorable role. If you want to describe your role we could advise further...

Deb7a what is your job title? You may fall under a slightly different title according to the O*Net Online Database.
Im happy to have a look and give you my 2 cents worth. Ive been working on putting my application together for a couple of months, and still going.

I hear your frustration. I am a skilled professional with no high school diploma and having a hell of a time gathering supporting docs.
35 years ago there wasnt the emphasis for woman to have a huge education unless you wanted to be a Dr Lawyer etc. It was expected we worked some menial job for a while then found a husband had kids etc....... When I left school the only computer in the country was the Police data bank and that had just been introduced, my have times changed.
Im happy to help you if I can.