• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Oceania winners

That's actually way better than I thought. I kind of thought I would have to offer 3 or 4 months rent up front, so 2 plus deposit seems OK. Congrats on getting it all underway. It sounds like you've almost got it all sorted? Have you gone car shopping yet? What's the plan there?

Yep, we are pretty much settled! I *almost* have a job (I will be very surprised if I don't get an offer on Monday) and husband also has work lined up with a startup (Fingers crossed they are a success so he makes lots of money :p ) We got a car a few weeks ago (I don't have my licence - need to get a learners permit and start driving lessons!) but my husband got a new'ish Camaro s he is very happy. We went through Carmax as he wanted second hand but wanted to use a dealer to make it easy / not get screwed over. Paid up front as there was no need to finance (and he didnt have employment anyway to show them so I doubt he would have got it). I believe he needed his US licence first though.

Yep, we are pretty much settled! I *almost* have a job (I will be very surprised if I don't get an offer on Monday) and husband also has work lined up with a startup (Fingers crossed they are a success so he makes lots of money :p ) We got a car a few weeks ago (I don't have my licence - need to get a learners permit and start driving lessons!) but my husband got a new'ish Camaro s he is very happy. We went through Carmax as he wanted second hand but wanted to use a dealer to make it easy / not get screwed over. Paid up front as there was no need to finance (and he didnt have employment anyway to show them so I doubt he would have got it). I believe he needed his US licence first though.

Just FYI, you don't need a US licence to buy or insure a car - we did both on our foreign licenses.

Wife wants a newish style camaro too. Ha. Prices are not bad but I think we will concentrate on getting set up with good credit history first.

Paid up front as there was no need to finance (and he didnt have employment anyway to show them so I doubt he would have got it).

Yeah, we are pretty similar. We're selling a car and motorbike here so we'll just use that to pay cash for a new one. We'll buy a second car if/when we need it. But we figured if we are in a position where we need a second car it's because we are both working, so it won't be a problem.

All this chat is getting me excited... Does someone want to pack up my apartment for me? :)

What else do you need to do but put it on a luggage cart between arrival/check in and again between the luggage belt and whatever transport you use?[/QUOTEI like to be portable, and it's not the airport I'm worried about. Its all the traveling around I will be doing before I get to my destination. And you have to get to a trolley before it becomes helpful

I like to be portable, and it's not the airport I'm worried about. Its all the traveling around I will be doing before I get to my destination. And you have to get to a trolley before it becomes helpful[/QUOTE]

Deb :D there are usually luggage trolleys waiting where you alight from whatever transport you have taken and next to the baggage belts ;)
As for travelling around, I'm sure you can find a left luggage somewhere?
Alternatively if you really are that worried about it then yes it makes more sense to have it shipped ...

Yeah, we are pretty similar. We're selling a car and motorbike here so we'll just use that to pay cash for a new one. We'll buy a second car if/when we need it. But we figured if we are in a position where we need a second car it's because we are both working, so it won't be a problem.

All this chat is getting me excited... Does someone want to pack up my apartment for me? :)
Ha ha, youre on your own there. I have enough packing of my own to do. And throwing out of clothes. Vinnie's is going to get a mother lode

Deb :D there are usually luggage trolleys waiting where you alight from whatever transport you have taken and next to the baggage belts ;)
As for travelling around, I'm sure you can find a left luggage somewhere?
Alternatively if you really are that worried about it then yes it makes more sense to have it shipped ...
Yes, I'm sure I'll manage. I always do.

Ha ha, youre on your own there. I have enough packing of my own to do. And throwing out of clothes. Vinnie's is going to get a mother lode

Haha. Yes, we're feeling the same way. But, we've got a couple of months to sort that out :), Unlike some of you crazies that are out of the country in a couple of weeks.

Haha. Yes, we're feeling the same way. But, we've got a couple of months to sort that out :), Unlike some of you crazies that are out of the country in a couple of weeks.
Yes it seems crazy to have so little time, but it's been such a long process that I thought it best to get out quick and get started on this shindig. And I think I will have to send some stuff over, just remembered I have a whole heap of work stuff to send as well. The luggage pile is growing. o_O

We have so much stuff and also brand new furniture that's not even a year old. So we are going to need to ship a container over. We are activating next week but won't be moving until after December once the baby is born and old enough to travel so we have a bit of time. Still. Prices of shipping stuff is expensive. I am
Hoping we can get everything into a 20" container. Otherwise it's going to blow the budget I would think

We have so much stuff and also brand new furniture that's not even a year old. So we are going to need to ship a container over. We are activating next week but won't be moving until after December once the baby is born and old enough to travel so we have a bit of time. Still. Prices of shipping stuff is expensive. I am
Hoping we can get everything into a 20" container. Otherwise it's going to blow the budget I would think

We will be shipping things over too. I have a book collection that goes with me wherever I go, plus my IMAC and my shoe collection (I'm the original Carrie with over 200 pairs, and I wear all of them). The boys are happy to travel light but I will be princessing my way to the USA.