• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 KENYA SELECTEES FORUM

Don't forget that even though it is done for the visa, it is still your medical and you are paying for it! Ethically the doctor should tell you of anything serious she or he discovers, even if not a problem for the visa as such (like cancer or HIV) but yes you can certainly ask to be informed of the outcome.

Slight correction - not that the doctor 'might feel obligated', alcoholism (or drug addiction, or certain mental health issues such as suicidal tendencies) are in fact issues they are obliged to inform the embassy of. There is a list somewhere...
@SusieQQQ are you saying HIV is not a problem for DV visa? Oh ok I never knew that.

@SusieQQQ are you saying HIV is not a problem for DV visa? Oh ok I never knew that.

Being HIV positive will not lead to a visa denial. However because it can lead to one becoming a public charge if the party involved doesn't seem to be financially sound enough or have the prospects of handling the expenses associated with getting the needed medical treatment, then one could be denied.

@msdada I didn't know ur from msa.im from msa too.@podoski I didn't do mine in MSA.how much were you charged to do it in MSA.btw its a good thing you applied for your PCC in Nairobi.i applied at urban and it was a nightmare...almst 7 wks it took to get it and I had to chase it solo in Nairobi.

@msdada I didn't know ur from msa.im from msa too.@podoski I didn't do mine in MSA.how much were you charged to do it in MSA.btw its a good thing you applied for your PCC in Nairobi.i applied at urban and it was a nightmare...almst 7 wks it took to get it and I had to chase it solo in Nairobi.

Hello @pose

Yep, I'm from Msa, good to know you are too, have you travelled to US as yet ?

I'm afraid I can't make it to Nai to get the COGC done, I'm gonna go through the nightmare too I guess. lol

It used to be grounds for denial but that got changed a few years ago. Mom's point about the potential public charge implications is valid however. I'm not familiar with what the general health insurance scheme policies regarding ARV treatment, treatment for related illnesses etc are.

Being HIV positive will not lead to a visa denial. However because it can lead to one becoming a public charge if the party involved doesn't seem to be financially sound enough or have the prospects of handling the expenses associated with getting the needed medical treatment, then one could be denied.
In Ethiopia, the medical examination doesn't include HIV test. They take blood samples only for syphilis test. There is no way for the CO to know whether the applicant is HIV positive or not. How could the CO raise the issue of public charge?

In Ethiopia, the medical examination doesn't include HIV test. They take blood samples only for syphilis test. There is no way for the CO to know whether the applicant is HIV positive or not. How could the CO raise the issue of public charge?

Is honesty in answering questions not a possibility?

Did the doctor not ask if there are any serious medical issues even if not doing a blood test for them? They are obliged to report on other things such as alcoholism or certain mental health issues even though they don't do blood tests for them?

Yep, the panel doctor is no longer required to carry out blood test to determine if one is HIV positive or not. However, part of the visual observation and the questions they ask in the course of the medical exam is enough for them to make a determination of suspected HIV presence or not. If the panel doctor suspects one could be HIV positive, he/she has been instructed to ask the patient if they would like to be tested for HIV. Regardless of the patient's answer (the patient could say yes and do the test right away, or out-rightly refuse to do the test; the patient could also opt to go do the test somewhere else), the panel doctor is obligated to note his/her observation on the medical report.

9 FAM 42.66 N17 APPLICANTS SUSPECTED OF BEING HIV INFECTED BY THE PANEL PHYSICIAN:
For applicants who may benefit from being tested for HIV, such as those with signs or symptoms suggestive of HIV or those with TB disease, the panel physician may counsel the applicant about HIV, and may administer an HIV serologic test, if the applicant consents to the testing. The applicant may also choose to undergo HIV testing at a non-panel-physician site. The panel physician must also inform the applicant that they do not have to be tested for HIV and that any results of the HIV serologic testing will be provided to the consular section processing his or her visa application as part of the visa medical examination packet of forms.

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/87891.pdf (p.15)​

By the way, here's what 9 FAM says with regards to HIV positive applicants and Public charge:

9 FAM 40.11 N9.1-2 Public Charge as Related to Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) Positive Applicants:
Under section 212(a)(4) of the INA, an immigrant visa (IV) applicant must demonstrate that he or she has a means of support in the United States and that he or she, therefore, will not need to seek public financial assistance. It may be difficult for HIV-infected applicants to meet this requirement of the law because the cost of treating the illness can be very high and because the applicant may not be able to work

There is no waiver possible for this inadmissibility; however, if the applicant is able to demonstrate that he or she has acquired additional insurance or funds which would be sufficient to overcome the inadmissibility, you may determine that the inadmissibility no longer applies.

On November 2, 2009, CDC issued the HIV Final Rule removing HIV infection from the definition of communicable disease of public health significance effective January 4, 2010. Although HIV infection is no longer a ground of inadmissibility under section 212(a)(1)(A)(i) of the INA, the requirement that an HIV-infected applicant must demonstrate that he or she overcomes inadmissibility under section 212(a)(4) of the INA remains.

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/86936.pdf (p.9)​

Yep, the panel doctor is no longer required to carry out blood test to determine if one is HIV positive or not. However, part of the visual observation and the questions they ask in the course of the medical exam is enough for them to make a determination of suspected HIV presence or not. If the panel doctor suspects one could be HIV positive, he/she has been instructed to ask the patient if they would like to be tested for HIV. Regardless of the patient's answer (the patient could say yes and do the test right away, or out-rightly refuse to do the test; the patient could also opt to go do the test somewhere else), the panel doctor is obligated to note his/her observation on the medical report.

9 FAM 42.66 N17 APPLICANTS SUSPECTED OF BEING HIV INFECTED BY THE PANEL PHYSICIAN:
For applicants who may benefit from being tested for HIV, such as those with signs or symptoms suggestive of HIV or those with TB disease, the panel physician may counsel the applicant about HIV, and may administer an HIV serologic test, if the applicant consents to the testing. The applicant may also choose to undergo HIV testing at a non-panel-physician site. The panel physician must also inform the applicant that they do not have to be tested for HIV and that any results of the HIV serologic testing will be provided to the consular section processing his or her visa application as part of the visa medical examination packet of forms.

By the way, here's what 9 FAM says with regards to HIV positive applicants and Public charge:

9 FAM 40.11 N9.1-2 Public Charge as Related to Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) Positive Applicants:
Under section 212(a)(4) of the INA, an immigrant visa (IV) applicant must demonstrate that he or she has a means of support in the United States and that he or she, therefore, will not need to seek public financial assistance. It may be difficult for HIV-infected applicants to meet this requirement of the law because the cost of treating the illness can be very high and because the applicant may not be able to work

There is no waiver possible for this inadmissibility; however, if the applicant is able to demonstrate that he or she has acquired additional insurance or funds which would be sufficient to overcome the inadmissibility, you may determine that the inadmissibility no longer applies.

On November 2, 2009, CDC issued the HIV Final Rule removing HIV infection from the definition of communicable disease of public health significance effective January 4, 2010. Although HIV infection is no longer a ground of inadmissibility under section 212(a)(1)(A)(i) of the INA, the requirement that an HIV-infected applicant must demonstrate that he or she overcomes inadmissibility under section 212(a)(4) of the INA remains.

Very informative - thanks for digging out - could well save someone paying fees etc when they may end up being denied for this.

Visa issuance requirements aside, It takes lots of hard work for an immigrant to make it in America-good health is obviously a must.

Quite informative. Thanks.

Is honesty in answering questions not a possibility?

Did the doctor not ask if there are any serious medical issues even if not doing a blood test for them? They are obliged to report on other things such as alcoholism or certain mental health issues even though they don't do blood tests for them?
The doctor didn't ask anything about HIV. Ofcourse he asked if I had ever been admitted to hospital for any previous serious health issue.
It is also common that, even the applicant may not know if he/she is HIV positive unless he/she conducted the test previously for some reason, like marriage...

Last edited:

Thanks Mom. What a great information!

They charged me 22000ksh for the medicals