• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 KENYA SELECTEES FORUM

Yes that is the form.

Some embassy require all DV petitioners to present an affidavit, some people simply present it as a means of proving that they will not become a public charge if they do not have enough personal savings or assets of their own.

Yes

@Sm1smom Thank you for your feedback :) , understand from your response that the sponsor should be a US citizen. Is the sponsor supposed to provide his/her bank statements ?

@Sm1smom Thank you for your feedback :) , understand from your response that the sponsor should be a US citizen. Is the sponsor supposed to provide his/her bank statements ?

No. The fact that the sponsor has to be based in the US does not mean the sponsor has to be a USC. Sponsor could also be a LPR or someone on a L1 or H1 visa. Sponsor is required to provide a copy of the ID which confirms their status in the US, they also need to include their W-2 or 1099, whichever is applicable. If the sponsor is willing to throw in a copy of their bank statement too, that is fine.

No. The fact that the sponsor has to be based in the US does not mean the sponsor has to be a USC. Sponsor could also be a LPR or someone on a L1 or H1 visa. Sponsor is required to provide a copy of the ID which confirms their status in the US, they also need to include their W-2 or 1099, whichever is applicable. If the sponsor is willing to throw in a copy of their bank statement too, that is fine.

Now I have a clearer understanding on that, much appreciated .

Follow-to join

Can someone clarify on this email extract.

Personally, I have nothing else to say about your case and the f-t-j option you've decided to pursue. I purposely did not respond the first time you posted that email because I felt we had gone to a great deal of length in explaining to you how f-t-j works, but you countered by telling us out interpretation was wrong.

Maybe someone else may be more open to exploring the discussion further with you.

@Sm1smom @Britsimon

I needed guidance regarding the Form I-134, Affidavit of Support. Is this the same form a sponsor is to fill ? Under what circumstance would one have to get a sponsor in the Dv cases ? and is it mandatory that a sponsor must be a U.S citizen /residing in U.S ?

Also advise what documents a sponsor must provide for the selectee.

Shall appreciate your advices.

Regards

1. The I134 is one possible way to overcome the public charge requirement (used in cases where the selectee dies not have sufficient money to support themselves - generally around $10k per adult)
2. The form can only be filled in by someone legally residing and paying tax in the USA.
3. The I134 instructions cover what documents are required - but essentially it is tax reporting/income verification.
4. The person completing the form has to be earning more than the amount defined on the federal poverty guidelines.
5. Some embassies typically request it, some others very rarely request it. If it is requested and not supplied the case will be on AP until the public charge burden is satisfied.

1. The I134 is one possible way to overcome the public charge requirement (used in cases where the selectee dies not have sufficient money to support themselves - generally around $10k per adult)
2. The form can only be filled in by someone legally residing and paying tax in the USA.
3. The I134 instructions cover what documents are required - but essentially it is tax reporting/income verification.
4. The person completing the form has to be earning more than the amount defined on the federal poverty guidelines.
5. Some embassies typically request it, some others very rarely request it. If it is requested and not supplied the case will be on AP until the public charge burden is satisfied.

I see, what if the sponsor used to reside in the US but is currently residing elsewhere , though works for a US firm and has a bank account there. Would he/she still be able to sponsor.

Does my dependant who lived in the US before have to get Police Certificates from the two different states he lived in or will one do? He stayed in one state for only five months

You don't need to supply police certs for the USA - they have direct access to police records there.

I see, what if the sponsor used to reside in the US but is currently residing elsewhere , though works for a US firm and has a bank account there. Would he/she still be able to sponsor.

Does he/she pay tax in the USA on his/her income??? If not re-read point 2.

Adding on to the above, have another sponsor who does not reside in the US / has no bank account in the US. but would wish to sponsor. How does one go about that ?

Thanks.

Adding on to the above, have another sponsor who does not reside in the US / has no bank account in the US. but would wish to sponsor. How does one go about that ?

Thanks.

He/She can give you the sum you need to get to $10,000 as non repayable gift to aid your move. In that case (a sudden deposit into your bank account) that person should also supply an affidavit explaining the money is a non repayable gift.

He/She can give you the sum you need to get to $10,000 as non repayable gift to aid your move. In that case (a sudden deposit into your bank account) that person should also supply an affidavit explaining the money is a non repayable gift.

Anha. Thanks a lot for your clarifications. Appreciate your prompt responses.

Regards

By the way, if you plan to stay with a host in the USA - some African embassies will question you about your relationship to your host rather than your personal financial resources. If they are satisfied your host offer is genuine, they would see that as the "support" you need to avoid becoming a public charge - and in many cases that will be sufficient.

By the way, if you plan to stay with a host in the USA - some African embassies will question you about your relationship to your host rather than your personal financial resources. If they are satisfied your host offer is genuine, they would see that as the "support" you need to avoid becoming a public charge - and in many cases that will be sufficient.

That REALLY helped a lot. :)

Hi all .
From previous experience and the other Forums, does the Kenyan Embassy usually ask for the I134 ?
No one has reported being asked and the many I know (over 200),have never been asked.But that does not mean they are not obligated to ask.However the relationship with your sponsor determines whether the CO should ask for the I134.

No one has reported being asked and the many I know (over 200),have never been asked.But that does not mean they are not obligated to ask.However the relationship with your sponsor determines whether the CO should ask for the I134.

I'm uncomfortable with blanket statements such as "no one has reported being asked" or "no one has been asked" because I am quite certain that you nor I have read all the reports nor do we have enough direct contact to be certain that no one has been asked. However, I would agree that the host system accepted in certain countries makes the I134 extremely rare in those countries. However, every case is different and some are even processed outside of the country take a Kenyan to Paris embassy for example and he/she will be asked about financial support.

Simon I am interested in the 200 you know. I read the deleted post where you described how you have known so many winners. How many cases (i.e. the 200 winners plus the non winners) have you known?

I'm uncomfortable with blanket statements such as "no one has reported being asked" or "no one has been asked" because I am quite certain that you nor I have read all the reports nor do we have enough direct contact to be certain that no one has been asked. However, I would agree that the host system accepted in certain countries makes the I134 extremely rare in those countries. However, every case is different and some are even processed outside of the country take a Kenyan to Paris embassy for example and he/she will be asked about financial support.

Simon I am interested in the 200 you know. I read the deleted post where you described how you have known so many winners. How many cases (i.e. the 200 winners plus the non winners) have you known?

Allow me to ask, does the host need to prove this by stating it on a letter or something on what relationship they share.

My answer is not intended to mislead anyone-may be my grammar might not be sufficient. However, what I know is that the over 200 whom I had had direct contacts or was involved directly in their green card application-None reported/shared to have been asked at Nairobi Embassy.

My answer is not intended to mislead anyone-may be my grammar might not be sufficient. However, what I know is that the over 200 whom I had had direct contacts or was involved directly in their green card application-None reported/shared to have been asked at Nairobi Embassy.

Yeah - I get it - I am quite sure you are not trying to mislead anyone or make things difficult for people - and like I said - I realize it is rare perhaps even "unheard-of" at Nairobi.

So - how many cases?

Allow me to ask, does the host need to prove this by stating it on a letter or something on what relationship they share.

No, it is more informal than that - it is a question you see reported as being asked on interview experience posts. No doubt the CO makes a judgement based on the answer and credibility of the applicant.