• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014: Status in AOS process

LuckilyHere

Registered Users (C)
Hello my experienced friends,

I am a DV selectee for 2014, case number 2014AS000002XX, currently in H1B status. I have not filed DSP 122 yet, because my H1B is expiring on 9/30/13, in the process for renewal but not confirmed yet. If my H1B is not renewed, I may go for CP or enroll in some programs for F1. I am confused and want to understand the following:
1. Is DSP 122 necessary now? How long can I wait to submit this form?
2. What is DV fee, and how do I pay this?
3. How long do I need to maintain my status for AOS processing after submission of I-485? (If my H1B is not renewed, and I go for F1, this will be relevant to estimate).

All your suggestions and expert advices are welcome.

1. Is DSP 122 necessary now? How long can I wait to submit this form?
It is necessary for CP. It is not necessary for AOS. You might be pretty say until May 2014 to submit documents for CP; I would not wait so long if you want to do AOS.Maybe 2-3 month earlier than that.
2. What is DV fee, and how do I pay this?
Immigranbt visa and adjustment of status processes have different fees
3. How long do I need to maintain my status for AOS processing after submission of I-485? (If my H1B is not renewed, and I go for F1, this will be relevant to estimate). Changing status to F-1 is generally not good for forthcoming AOS. If you change status to F-1, it would be better to do CP. But it would not be good to send forms for CP BEFORE sending forms to change of nonimmigrant status.

Thank you, Raevsky. How do I pay the visa fee? Do I have to submit DSP122 and get approval or acknowledgment before I pay the fee or can I simply pay this fee without worrying about the DSP 122?

In CP process you pay the fee at the day of the interview, at the consulate.
In AOS process you need to show the receipt of payment at the day of interview.
You need to pay the fee when you hear from USCIS, not from KCC.
So, even if you choose to submit DSP-122 and get back from KCC, that is not a signal for you to make the payment. KCC is not a USCIS division. They cannot determine your eligibility for AOS.
Regardless of whether you send DSP-122 or not, you make the payment when you hear from USCIS that you could make the payment.

In AOS process DSP-122 is completely irrelevant, if filled with USCIS or BCIS option. So, nothing, including making the payment, depends on your sending DSP-122.

DSP-122 is a way to inform DOS that you are doing AOS. In the same sense you inform your local community that you are doing AOS if you send an article into local media. Nothing in the process depends on whether the newspaper publishes your article or not. It is just irrelevant for the process, the same as DSP-122.

Last edited by a moderator: