• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 Kenyan Selectees Report here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats Notez...may the good lord richly blesses you....
ABOUT JOBS
I got this from Makiki (Dv 2013 kenyan selectees report here!!!!)
Let's start with work.....this is a Very important area for new immigrants like myself. There's little or nothing you can do here without a certification or a form of licence. That include pushing a wheel barrow. America is a society that believes in professionalism and rewards hard work.

Applying for job online will keep you at home for a Very long time. Submitting CV's without evidence of American certification will keep you on the waiting queue, prompting schools who view your CV to start calling you to obtain a certification and become employable.

If you want to do security jobs, that is the most abundant job here. America is security conscious. It's the cheapest training to get and it costs less than $300. After the initial 5 days training, you are given a guard card which is your licence to work as a security official. With this you earn between $9-$12 hourly. If you want to earn more, go for more training, usually for 3 weeks and obtain your gun, baton, hand-cuff and pepper spray permits. With this you earn between $16-$20 hourly.

Just Google security training centers and take off from there if you like this career path for a start. I will tell you more on nursing, teaching, driving, schooling, etcetera. Digest this first. Love you all.

I hope this enlightens someone!!! cheers
Thank you so much Utamaduni, this is so informative, now I can get a picture of how things will be in +1, I wish yo get us more information concerning other careers so that we can have a list of choices to choose from once we are there.

Thanks for the great idea......if you are a lady you better carry some hair for braids or weaves...as it will be expensive buying them from the local West African shops as they are expensive. I keep sending some to relatives in Europe. Choose a hair style that will last a few weeks without needing repairs or redoing you will save same $$$$. Have it done a day before flying out.... To do braids in Europe was about 60 pounds (kenya shillings 8659.68). I am not sure about US rates...but better prepared than not. If you can do hair eg weaves, braids you can make a few extra $$$$ by doing them in your house. For men well i can only suggest you buy a shaver...I bought one in Europe for myself and my wife would trim my hair every two weeks.... i know it might conflict with some African cultures...but I never paid anyone to cut my hair all the years i was there. Even now back home she still does it better than some barbers...and it has been so hygienic as well as I never worry of infections etc.
MY RELOCATION PREPARATION CHECKLIST, Help to remind me what is missing.
1.Bible
2.Bible study guide
3.Cold weather cloths
4.Tickets
5.Passports
6.Cloths
7.Chest X-Ray CDs
8.Immunisation cards
9. Academic papers, though they hold less value in US
10. Millet flour for my boys
11. Submit claim for for NSSF savings ( I have some $ here, though I will receive it after evidence of GC)
12. Marriage certificate
13. Birth certificates
14.Some Pocket money
15. My external hard drive
16. Photo Album
17.Weaves for my wife
18.Shaving my boys and I

Thanks Utamaduni for this addition.

Your Rights and Responsibilities as a permanent Resident in USA
What you do now as a permanent resident can affect
your ability to become a U.S. citizen later.The process of
becoming a U.S. citizen is called “naturalization.”
As a permanent resident, you have the right to:
• Live and work permanently anywhere in the U.S.
• Apply to become a U.S. citizen once you are eligible.
• Request visas for your husband or wife and unmarried
children to live in the U.S.
• Get Social Security, Supplemental Security Income,
and Medicare benefits, if you are eligible.
• Own property in the U.S.
• Apply for a driver’s license in your state or territory.
• Leave and return to the U.S. under certain conditions.
• Attend public school and college.
• Join certain branches of the U.S.Armed Forces.
• Purchase or own a firearm,as long as there are no state
or local restrictions saying you can’t.
As a permanent resident, it is your responsibility to:
• Obey all federal, state, and local laws.
• Pay federal, state, and local income taxes.
• Register with the Selective Service (U.S.Armed
Forces), if you are a male between ages 18 and 26.
See page 11 for instructions.
• Maintain your immigration status.
• Carry proof of your permanent resident status at all
times.
Source: Welcome to the United States, A Guide for New Immigrants. Pg.8 (US Citizenship and Immigration Services)

MY RELOCATION PREPARATION CHECKLIST, Help to remind me what is missing.
1.Bible
2.Bible study guide
3.Cold weather cloths
4.Tickets
5.Passports
6.Cloths
7.Chest X-Ray CDs
8.Immunisation cards
9. Academic papers, though they hold less value in US
10. Millet flour for my boys
11. Submit claim for for NSSF savings ( I have some $ here, though I will receive it after evidence of GC)
12. Marriage certificate
13. Birth certificates
14.Some Pocket money
15. My external hard drive
16. Photo Album
17.Weaves for my wife
18.Shaving my boys and I

Thanks Utamaduni for this addition.

19. Weaves for girl children; for those of us with them. Partitas.....there you go.

I intend to start practicing shaving my husband's hair; I am worried of chopping him during the training, lol.

Interesting and informative Utamaduni but I also understand though not conversant that states differs on minimum wages some pay hourly from 9$ to10$ others pay as low as 7$ to 7.50$ maybe someone shud tell us this more...

Wapi Breakthrogh, I work for a USAID project, they do not give terminal benefits, you leave as you came. The only money I can get is the NSSF which is controlled by Government of Uganda

yawa pole..mimi niko parastatal...but the greatest provider who is Jehova God who has brot u thus far shall surely provide even more...He is our greatest bank.

I inquired from my sister about the G.nuts, she said that they can allow foods that have been processed to the extent that even if you plant it in US , it can not germinate, that means, they can allow roasted,minted G.Nuts to pass, . Now you are laughing............

Your Rights and Responsibilities as a permanent Resident in USA
What you do now as a permanent resident can affect
your ability to become a U.S. citizen later.The process of
becoming a U.S. citizen is called “naturalization.”
As a permanent resident, you have the right to:
• Live and work permanently anywhere in the U.S.
• Apply to become a U.S. citizen once you are eligible.
• Request visas for your husband or wife and unmarried
children to live in the U.S.
• Get Social Security, Supplemental Security Income,
and Medicare benefits, if you are eligible.
• Own property in the U.S.
• Apply for a driver’s license in your state or territory.
• Leave and return to the U.S. under certain conditions.
• Attend public school and college.
• Join certain branches of the U.S.Armed Forces.
• Purchase or own a firearm,as long as there are no state
or local restrictions saying you can’t.
As a permanent resident, it is your responsibility to:
• Obey all federal, state, and local laws.
• Pay federal, state, and local income taxes.
• Register with the Selective Service (U.S.Armed
Forces), if you are a male between ages 18 and 26.
See page 11 for instructions.
• Maintain your immigration status.
• Carry proof of your permanent resident status at all
times.
Source: Welcome to the United States, A Guide for New Immigrants. Pg.8 (US Citizenship and Immigration Services)

Thanks now you know what is expected of you for the next 5 years.

i just have seen CEAC data of previous FY and seen that CN 97005 was the last one interviewed, 97k out of 125k is not bad, this time is 140k so chances are there, Skache we are on

these are the latest updates from the spreadsheet
(a) interviews already done

namecountryinterview outcomea.p starta.p enda.p durationa.p outcomerelocation status
1.danny denburundiadministrative processing........4/10/201331/01/2013123visa grantedrelocated to arizona, the copper state
2.family2133ugandaadministrative processing........21/11/201317/jan/201459 daysvisa grantedyet to relocate to edmond oklahoma, "the sooner state, land of native american and family2133"
3.godiakenyavisa grantedn/an/an/an/arelocated to wilmington delaware, the diamond state
4.4turyaugandavisa grantedn/an/an/an/ayet to relocate to boston massachusetts, the bay state
5.feyisayonigeriavisa grantedn/an/an/an/arelocated to new york , the empire state
6.guy raykenyavisa grantedn/an/an/an/arelocated to colorado, the centennial state,
7.nairobakenyavisa grantedn/an/an/an/ayet to relocate to georgia, the empire of the south
8.ghanamanghanavisa grantedn/an/an/an/arelocated to new york, the empire state
9.olelenkukenyavisa grantedn/an/an/an/arelocated to kansas, the sunflower state
10.jimkokenyavisa grantedn/an/an/an/ayet to relocate to minnesota, the bread and butter state
11.gittaugandavisa grantedn/an/an/an/ayet to relocate to boston massachusetts
12.beth02kenyavisa grantedn/an/an/an/astatus unknown
13.noteznot surevisa grantedn/an/an/an/astatus unknown
14.partitaskenyavisa grantedn/an/an/an/ayet to relocate to alabama, the “yellowhammer state”
15. Resiankenyavisa grantedn/an/an/an/ayet to relocate to dallas texas, the chili state
16.carlkimkenyavisa grantedn/an/an/an/astatus unknown
17.yvesy04rwandavisa grantedn/an/an/an/astatus unknown
18.kinskirwandavisa grantedn/an/an/an/ayet to relocate to arkansas
19.ison2013ethiopiavisa grantedn/an/an/an/ayet to relocate to md
20.delph_neburundivisa grantedn/an/an/an/astatus unknown
21. Lehwethiopiavisa grantedn/an/an/an/ayet to relocate to md
22.ronnychekenyavisa grantedn/an/an/an/ayet to relocate to minnesota
n/a

[tr]
[tr]

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
(b)the following have confirmed their interview months from 2nd notification letters
1.azmera from ethiopia, jan 2014, give us the update
2.samolaniyi from nigeria, feb 2014,
3. Ooadeniyi from nigeria, feb 2014, give us the update
4.ka josy from rwanda, march 2014

what happened to azmera? Samolaniyi, any news, when are you doing the interview?

i am from ghana living in russia :)

Wapi Breakthrogh, I work for a USAID project, they do not give terminal benefits, you leave as you came. The only money I can get is the NSSF which is controlled by Government of Uganda

Family Amen for that only God provides us with terminal benefits. I also am in a NGO project and when I leave no benefits.Hence the need to hustle extra hard to look for money!!!

Great things about ground nuts then

And very great additions by @Utamaduni,yes!!Braids and weaves are a must. Its hectic and expensive to make hair in the US. I personally will do my hair here before I leave, something I know will push me for minimum 2 months!!

Thanks now you know what is expected of you for the next 5 years.

Of course Jonge. I met a Ugandan at DHL KIsumu he was also picking his passports and packages, he has a family of 4 children and himself, they are heading to New Mexico this coming Sunday, but their Immigrant Visa category is IR given that the wife is a citizen in US. Oba what is IR????????, the guys also doesn't know, every thing was chased up by the wife in states.

Status
Not open for further replies.