• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I was successful for the 2014 DV lottery. When I applied, I was in Australia (I am an Australian citizen), and I received a very low case number (low 200s). I posted my forms to the KCC from Australia. I then received notification of an appointment at the US consulate in Sydney back in October.

For a few different reasons I was unable to attend the appointment in October, and I am now currently living and working in the US on a non-immigrant visa.

Does anyone know if I have any options to continue with my DV application from here in the US? Perhaps switch to an AOS application? Is there someone I can contact in regards to this? I did email the KCC, but they basically said they can't answer this kind of question.

I am guessing I have probably forfeited my case number/application, but would love to be positive!

Hi all,

I was successful for the 2014 DV lottery. When I applied, I was in Australia (I am an Australian citizen), and I received a very low case number (low 200s). I posted my forms to the KCC from Australia. I then received notification of an appointment at the US consulate in Sydney back in October.

For a few different reasons I was unable to attend the appointment in October, and I am now currently living and working in the US on a non-immigrant visa.

Does anyone know if I have any options to continue with my DV application from here in the US? Perhaps switch to an AOS application? Is there someone I can contact in regards to this? I did email the KCC, but they basically said they can't answer this kind of question.

I am guessing I have probably forfeited my case number/application, but would love to be positive!

No you will not have forfeited your case number and application - so you may well be able to switch to aos. To get better input on that, what sort of visa are you currently holding?

No you will not have forfeited your case number and application - so you may well be able to switch to aos. To get better input on that, what sort of visa are you currently holding?

Currently on a J1 visa for 12 months, with the option to extend longer if necessary.

Currently on a J1 visa for 12 months, with the option to extend longer if necessary.

When did you apply for the J1? When did you enter the US? When did you send forms to KCC? When was your interview originally scheduled for?

When applying for the J1, how did you answer this: "Has Anyone Ever Filed an Immigrant Visa Petition on Your Behalf?"

Last edited by a moderator:
When did you apply for the J1? When did you enter the US? When did you send forms to KCC? When was your interview originally scheduled for?

Are you trying to determine if they had already shown immigrant intent when they applied for the J1?

I just got back from DC office and it was a terrible appointment. The lady first started telling me that normally I485 takes 6 months to a year for processing and also tried to say that everything is fine and you need to wait.

Then I explained to her about the DV Lottery and the fact that last month we went there and were told that we will receive interview letter within two to four weeks but nothing happened after ONE month. Then she said that I have to check with my supervisor. We waited for two hours while hoping that something will happen. Then she came back and said that I didn't hear from supervisor. She started saying that supervisor doesn't know much and he has to receive the information for your processing??!!!.

I told her that we are here for two hours to hear from your supervisor and we prefer to hear his view also! ( she was trying to convince us to leave because it was close to 4 pm and she wanted to go home!! :) Anyway, she said that let me have our supervisor talk to you and explain to you. Her supervisor came and said that "I know one of supervisors is working on your DV cases and you should receive a notification letter within 30 to 45 days. Obviously it was clear that he has no any insight and wanted just to give us some response! All in all, as you can see the FO officers are totally confused and I am right now very worried if we even get to receive the green card!!

This is the most INEFFICIENT OFFICE that you could imagine. I am considering contacting the representative because I am afraid I wait for another month and again hear the same story!

Hey iel.hoss
Thanks for the update.
I would add Dallas to that inefficient list. I still have not heard back about reassigning my case to new officer from the lady at USCIS office.Gullible me believed her :(. For my upcoming InfoPass appointment, I will make sure to speak to the same lady , remind her of her false promise ,ask for a supervisor, get an answer and then only leave. :)

Hey NPTS:

I really don't know what is wrong with these two offices but I hope that at the end of the day, we get our GC. My concern is that this lack of efficiency affects our GC which is crucial for every single one of us. Definitely follow up with your FO and let us know the update. Hopefully you hear promising news.

Hey iel.hoss
Thanks for the update.
I would add Dallas to that inefficient list. I still have not heard back about reassigning my case to new officer from the lady at USCIS office.Gullible me believed her :(. For my upcoming InfoPass appointment, I will make sure to speak to the same lady , remind her of her false promise ,ask for a supervisor, get an answer and then only leave. :)

I just got back from DC office and it was a terrible appointment. The lady first started telling me that normally I485 takes 6 months to a year for processing and also tried to say that everything is fine and you need to wait.

Then I explained to her about the DV Lottery and the fact that last month we went there and were told that we will receive interview letter within two to four weeks but nothing happened after ONE month. Then she said that I have to check with my supervisor. We waited for two hours while hoping that something will happen. Then she came back and said that I didn't hear from supervisor. She started saying that supervisor doesn't know much and he has to receive the information for your processing??!!!.

I told her that we are here for two hours to hear from your supervisor and we prefer to hear his view also! ( she was trying to convince us to leave because it was close to 4 pm and she wanted to go home!! :) Anyway, she said that let me have our supervisor talk to you and explain to you. Her supervisor came and said that "I know one of supervisors is working on your DV cases and you should receive a notification letter within 30 to 45 days. Obviously it was clear that he has no any insight and wanted just to give us some response! All in all, as you can see the FO officers are totally confused and I am right now very worried if we even get to receive the green card!!

This is the most INEFFICIENT OFFICE that you could imagine. I am considering contacting the representative because I am afraid I wait for another month and again hear the same story!

Hi iel.hoss,

Sorry that things aren't progressing as we all hoped. I think you should be contacting your representatives ASAP. It is taking them an unreasonable amount of time to process your case AND they have broken their promise once. You have enough ammo to ask your representative to put pressure on them and require an explanation. Do not be hesitant at all.

Hi Guys,
My number is current in March and I am about to send the package during first week of February, which I can as per new memo has mentioned it.
Hi I thought that with that new memo you can send your application when it's in Upcoming Visa Bulletin and you see it in advance section. it means you could send it month ago? AM I RIGHT ? Help please.

From memo:

For example, in the November 2012 Visa Bulletin, shown on page 5 of this PM, the
advance notification DV rank cut-off number for Europe in December 2012 is listed as being
9,250. Therefore, immediately upon release of the November 2012 Visa Bulletin (i.e., on or
about October 9, 2012), any person who could be charged to Europe who had a rank cut-off
number below 9,250 was eligible to file an application for adjustment of status, even though the
adjustment application could not be adjudicated to completion prior to December 1, 2012.4

Hi I thought that with that new memo you can send your application when it's in Upcoming Visa Bulletin and you see it in advance section. it means you could send it month ago? AM I RIGHT ? Help please.

From memo:

For example, in the November 2012 Visa Bulletin, shown on page 5 of this PM, the
advance notification DV rank cut-off number for Europe in December 2012 is listed as being
9,250. Therefore, immediately upon release of the November 2012 Visa Bulletin (i.e., on or
about October 9, 2012), any person who could be charged to Europe who had a rank cut-off
number below 9,250 was eligible to file an application for adjustment of status, even though the
adjustment application could not be adjudicated to completion prior to December 1, 2012.4

Some people have reported having their packs sent back if they send it that early - so the best advice seems to be to wait until the 1st of the month after the VB announced the number as current (in other words, one month early instead of 6 or 7 weeks early).

From memo:

The memo says as soon as you see it in the Advance Notification section you can file. However, in practice they have returned packages for filing too early and not being current. They seem to accept the filing if sent no earlier than 1 month before the "current" month (if you will be current in Apr, you can have your package arrive on Mar 1st).

Phew! I need to come up for some air after going through this post!! I think this post deserves the award for the most questions asked in one breath. I'm not even sure where to begin answering :confused::rolleyes:

Anyway, Nurai10, I think you need to slow down a bit. Start by reading the first post on the first page of this thread, take some time and read all the way to the end to give yourself a clear understanding of what DV AOS entails - the ups and downs, the good and the bad.

To answer some of your most obvious questions, no, you're not too late. If you're pretty much certain you will be doing AOS, regardless of your CN, you need to send an updated DSP-230 form to KCC indicating USCIS as your place of interview. You do not need to re-send DS-230 form. The reason you haven't heard back from KCC is because you indicated you wanted to do CP. Those doing CP will not hear back from KCC until the VB (Visa Bulletin) indicates when their CN will become current.

What is 2NL? - for anyone doing AOS, this is the email attachment from KCC confirming the receipt of the applicant's form and KCC's awareness that they intend to do AOS. For those doing CP, the 2NL is the interview letter itself.

Yes you can go ahead and send updated DSP-122 form to KCC, but you cannot send in your I-485 package to the Chicago lockbox until the VB indicates when your CN will be current. The earliest advisable time to send in the I-485 package is one month in advance of your current month.

However, all of these issues you've raised are minor compared to the fact that you've undertaken unauthorized employment. I believe this violation already makes you out of status, and the first thing you need to do is get re-instated back to your F1 status. You are deport-able as it is. Your DSO may be able to help you with a reinstatement application, this is what you should be looking into now. You should look for a competent immigration lawyer and lay all your cards on the table so that you may get all the help you need if you want to proceed with the AOS.

You need all the luck, so good luck!

Sm1smom thank you very much to your answer and advices! May God bless you!

Hey all,
I have appointment for bio next week. How long does it take to do the bio? any idea?

And as I was filling the form (google form) whats the difference between Biodate walkin and biodate letter? Do I have to go twice?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey all,
I have appointment for bio next week. How long does it take to do the bio? any idea?

And as I was filling the form (google form) whats the difference between Biodate walkin and biodate letter? Do I have to go twice?

Thanks

Hello llbk32,

The Biometrics appointment is pretty quick, depending on how many people are scheduled for your ASC. I did it in Miami and it took me 30 minutes (My wife, my son and myself). I was scheduled for 2:00 PM and I had no problem whatsoever. You will fill a form when you get there, and they are going to check your ID (passport in our case). Then, they will take your fingerprints electronically and a picture. Finally you put your signature electronically and you will be all set.

The Biodate is the date that appears on your Biometrics Appointment Notice (I 797C Notice of Action). The walk in means that some of our friends here went to the ASC some days before the actual day on the letter, and did the aforementioned process in advance.

Welcome to the final stage of the waiting game by the way!

Kind regards

I 20 expiring before sending I485

Hi guys,

So, it seems like AS will have cut off number till 5350 on coming bulletin based on the information people got frm KCC. I am planning to do AOS and my case no. is 7XXX. My concern is my I-20 is expiring on May. I will not graduate untill December or atleast August. So I MUST extend my I-20. I am not sure if my number will be current before my I-20 expires. Even if I do become current before my I-20 expires, AOS takes time. I have already send my DS122 and got 2NL form KCC. Now my question is- will I be able to extend my I-20 after I send my DS 122? From the forum, I gained the information that it is safe to extend I-20 and then wait for 90 days before sending DS122 and I-485. I am not sure if it is safe to extend my I-20 after sending ds122 and before sending I 485. I send ds122 on August last year. If the cut off number for asia will be 5350 for April and it is safe for me to extend my I20 now, will it be safe to send my AOS package after 90 days of extending my I20? Can someday shed some light on this please. Has anyone been in similar condition?

Thank you

Hi guys,

So, it seems like AS will have cut off number till 5350 on coming bulletin based on the information people got frm KCC. I am planning to do AOS and my case no. is 7XXX. My concern is my I-20 is expiring on May. I will not graduate untill December or atleast August. So I MUST extend my I-20. I am not sure if my number will be current before my I-20 expires. Even if I do become current before my I-20 expires, AOS takes time. I have already send my DS122 and got 2NL form KCC. Now my question is- will I be able to extend my I-20 after I send my DS 122? From the forum, I gained the information that it is safe to extend I-20 and then wait for 90 days before sending DS122 and I-485. I am not sure if it is safe to extend my I-20 after sending ds122 and before sending I 485. I send ds122 on August last year. If the cut off number for asia will be 5350 for April and it is safe for me to extend my I20 now, will it be safe to send my AOS package after 90 days of extending my I20? Can someday shed some light on this please. Has anyone been in similar condition?

Thank you
I updated my address on my DS-122 about 2 months ago and last week I updated my I-20 sent in the application for my work authorization (which will begin on Apr 24th) through my F-1 visa. My number will become current in May so I'll send my I-485 on April 1st. the form DS-122 goes to KCC which has nothing to do with USCIS. They are two separate offices.

Hi guys,
I want to find out two things.
1) When you do a walk in, did you just go to the ASC unannounced? Anybody turned away before? My worry is if the office had appointments back to back on the day I go...
2) According to the HHS poverty guidelines a family of two should have $19387. What is the value for a single person? Is it half of this value. I dont want to file I-134, instead I want to show my bank statement. So I'm trying find out the minimum I should have to convince the FO and then actually I can start saving for that...:D

Thanks.

330$ DV Feerta

Hi guys,

For some reason I was just lately noticed of my wining of 2014 visa lottery. I sent my documents to KCC and they got back to me in email and asked me to confirm if I am eligible for AOS. I called AOS but the officer doesn't seem to exactly know what I am asking him. So, literally he read over a document on the phone and said yes you are! I am here on F1 visa. Do you guys think that it would make me eligible for AOS? KCC also wanted me to send the DV Fee after I getting confirmation of this to U.S. Department of State in Missouri. Should I mail them just the money order?! Is there any other document that needs to be attached?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Status
Not open for further replies.