• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only

Status
Not open for further replies.

This time around though there's not much preparation to do on my end. Besides the Biometrics show-up, I will only need to get an updated Letter of Employment and more recent pay stubs for the interview.

Hopefully there's nothing else that I'm missing and nothing goes awry.

Thanks a lot Hexa.

This is how I felt about my possibilities: (correct me if I am wrong)
The first one involved OPT and AOS being processed at similar times and violation of non-immigration intent.

The second one is right at the edge. And with my luck (except for the luck that selected me for DV) I have some hard time trusting it :)

If I could not get an interview by the end of May, and if I apply for masters will that make me "in status" for the interview? I am planning to apply masters in the same school I am now (no GRE required) if that would help. Sorry to consume your time with such question.

Thanks again.

The biggest deal is the date of acceptance, the date the CIS receives your I-485. The interview date itself is less important, as long as it's on or before the deadline of Sept. 30th.

If you're getting another I-20 I believe you're covered, because schools can issue it up to 120 days before the beginning of the semester.

If you wish to change to CP, then you need to send an updated DSP 122 (selecting the US embassy in your home country) to KCC. You will also need to fill out DS-230 for yourself and your dependents (if you're married or have children - if they plan on benefitting from your selection) and send those off to KCC also.

After discussing the possibility of delaying my graduation with my academic advisor, it seems that now I need to consider CP as my primary plan. Just want to make sure all I need to do is:

(1) Send an updated DSP-122 to KCC, indicating the US embassy in my home country. ( I have already submitted DS-230 previously)
(2) Contact KCC to ensure they have received my updated DSP-122 form.
(3) Pay DV fee and get a receipt.
(4) Wait for further notice for interview, book a flight and fly home.

Thanks again for any suggestions.

After discussing the possibility of delaying my graduation with my academic advisor, it seems that now I need to consider CP as my primary plan. Just want to make sure all I need to do is:

(1) Send an updated DSP-122 to KCC, indicating the US embassy in my home country. ( I have already submitted DS-230 previously)
(2) Contact KCC to ensure they have received my updated DSP-122 form.
(3) Pay DV fee and get a receipt.
(4) Wait for further notice for interview, book a flight and fly home.

Thanks again for any suggestions.

A1. Yes, send an updated DSP-122 indicating the US embassy in your home country

A2. Yes, you may follow up with KCC if you wish

A3. No, you don't make any payment in the US. DV payment will be made at the US embassy at the time of the interview

A4. Receive interview notice from KCC when your number becomes current. You will need to plan your trip back home carefully to give you enough time to do the medical exam before the interview. You cannot do the medical exam in the US, it has to be done at a US recommended clinic in your home country. You will also need to get police clearance certificate from countries you've stayed at for upto 1 year since turning 16 (with the exception of the US).

While filling the entry for DV lottery and sending out the forms to KCC I put my Middle name "middle name", but now I realized that is not the same like in US, so while filling I-485 is it ok if I put Middle name space blank, or should I put it same like in forms I sent???
I'm also planning to do my medicals do I have to bring with me something?
Once again thanks a lot for all your help!!

While filling the entry for DV lottery and sending out the forms to KCC I put my Middle name "middle name", but now I realized that is not the same like in US, so while filling I-485 is it ok if I put Middle name space blank, or should I put it same like in forms I sent???
I'm also planning to do my medicals do I have to bring with me something?
Once again thanks a lot for all your help!!

You should leave the section blank if you have no middle name. If you write anything in that section, whatever you put there will appear as part of your name on your GC and all subsequent government documents you get issued with.

For the medical you need a form of ID (international passport or driver's license) and medical records (if you have it with you). It's advisable to file out the medical form and take it with you.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should leave the section blank if you have no middle name. If you write anything in that section, whatever you put there will appear as part of your name on your GC and all subsequent government documents you get issued with.

For the medical you need a form of ID (international passport or driver's license) and medical records (if you have it with you). It's advisable to file out the medical form and take it with you.

Thanks a lot Sm1smom! But is it ok if I put it blank , because on DS forms and while registering for lottery I did put middle name. I don't want put it now because it's not really my middle name, it's my fathers name we use backhome.

So, don't write anything, leave that section blank. It is perfectly ok to not write anything in the Middle Name section of the I-485, you can explain why you left it blank at the time of the interview if an issue is made out of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Somebody PMed me about this (you can come out if you want :)) and I decided to share the response here as others may benefit from it as well.

I'll be current in Jan 2014, but as you can see in my signature I already filed my I-485. The question is whether that is OK or I could only file one month ahead of becoming current, which would be Dec 1st.

"The Memo" states:

PM-602-0088 said:
As soon as a Visa Bulletin is published with advance notification of DV visa availability, then an individual with a rank cu-off number that is lower than that specified in the advance notification section may file for adjustment and the application will be considered as timely filed.
Source: USCIS Policy Memo PM-602-0088, Page 3

I quoted the above section in my Cover Letter. It is interesting that the example "the Memo" gives exactly lines up with my situation:

PM-602-0088 said:
If, for example, an ISO is reviewing a case filed on November 15, 2012, a review of the latest published Visa Bulletin (i.e., the December 2012 Visa Bulletin, which was published on November 7, 2012) would be required to confirm that the adjustment application was not prematurely filed. As long as the applicant's DV rank number fell below the January rank cut-off numbers listed in the advance notification section of the December Visa Bulletin, the individual is eligible to file as of November 7 and the DV visa will be deemed, for purposed of eligibility to file under 8 CFR 245.1(a), to have been available at the time of filing the Form I-485 adjustment application.

Source: Page 4

As you can see, as soon as the Visa Bulletin is published and shows that you'll be current at some point, even if more than 2 months from the date of the release, you are eligible to file!

Good luck to everybody! :) I will share it with you whether my file is actually accepted or not.

Yesterday, I received a letter from USCIS saying that my wife's and my biometrics is scheduled for Dec 4th. But, the problem is that I need to do the Biometrics within next week. It is because that my wife is pregent and her doctor is saying that she can go into labor any time after next Friday. Is it possible to move the appointment to the earlier date? If so then should I have to contact the local USCIS office or the one in Missouri.

Please let me know?

Thank you

Yesterday, I received a letter from USCIS saying that my wife's and my biometrics is scheduled for Dec 4th. But, the problem is that I need to do the Biometrics within next week. It is because that my wife is pregent and her doctor is saying that she can go into labor any time after next Friday. Is it possible to move the appointment to the earlier date? If so then should I have to contact the local USCIS office or the one in Missouri.

Please let me know?

Thank you

Do a walk-in. You have a perfect excuse.

Hi,
Is it that we have to go to the local USCIS office and let them know about the situation?

Take the letter to the ASC that they have assigned to you. Don't even volunteer that you are showing up early. No explanation needed. Just hand the letter to the security. If they are not busy, they will not care that your appointment is for a different date. They will conduct the process right then. If they point it out that you are too early, you can discuss your excuse with them.

You could even try a more convenient (closer) ASC if you want to.

Be warned that the picture they take when doing the Biometrics is the one they will use for the actual Green Card. :) So show up pretty :)

Thank you very much.

You are always helpful !!!
Take the letter to the ASC that they have assigned to you. Don't even volunteer that you are showing up early. No explanation needed. Just hand the letter to the security. If they are not busy, they will not care that your appointment is for a different date. They will conduct the process right then. If they point it out that you are too early, you can discuss your excuse with them.

Be warned that the picture they take when doing the Biometrics is the one they will use for the actual Green Card. :) So show up pretty :)

That might be easier for some than others....

Please let me know?

Thank you

Do exactly as C1984 suggested. Do a walk-in, you're a perfect candidate. Do volunteer any information, just hand over your biometric notice. However if they try to prove difficult and suggest you come on your assigned date, explain that your wife is due any moment from the day you visit them and you need to get it done before she puts to bed.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.