• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
USCIS Processing Time Information for our
Washington DC Field Office

Posted: March 18, 2014

Instructions on Using the Table
Below is a chart that shows the Form Number, Form Name and Processing Times for all of the forms that are processed at that office. (Note that not all offices process all types of applications and petitions.)

Find the particular form number (in the left column) or form name (in the center column) in which you are interested. In the right column you will find either a timeframe in months or an exact date.

If the office is processing a particular type of application in less time than our processing goal, you will see the processing times expressed in months (for example, if the office is processing naturalization applications in less than our 5 month goal, the processing time will state "Five Months"). However, if that office is taking longer than our processing goal to handle the form type in question, you will see the filing date (e.g., "April 10, 2003") of the last case we processed on the date the website chart was last updated. The charts are updated on or about the 15th day of each month.

IMPORTANT: If your receipt notice date is earlier than the processing date shown, we suggest you call our USCIS Customer Service Office at 1-800-375-5283 for assistance.

We offer a variety of services after you file. For example, for most kinds of cases you can check the status of your case online.

Field Office Processing Dates for Washington DC as of: January 31, 2014
Form Form Name Processing Timeframe:
I-485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status August 27, 2013
N-400 Application for Naturalization July 31, 2013
N-600 Application for Certification of Citizenship 5 Months

do u think i can succeed if i apply now?

The processing time posted online is not applicable to DV cases, processing time for DV based AOS is relatively shorter, so disregard what you see online.

Here is an update from our recent visit to DC FO:

It went almost better than always!! We went there yesterday for INFOPASS and talked to the supervisor that I saw in the hallway asking about previous meeting that we had we him. I told him that we were supposed to receive the interview letters within 30 to 45 days but it is passed that and we have not received it yet. He noted that you need to be patient and every thing is going to be OK. we will take care of DV lottery cases fairly soon and etc. Again, I explained about the DV visa numbers and time limit and he said you should be fine and we don't let it go too far. He, then advised me to talk to the officer based on my appointment ticket to check the status. We talked to the officer and the officer checked with the supervisor that has our cases. It seems to be very promising. She very positively said that we are going to be scheduled sometime between today and tomorrow and ILs will be received up to two weeks. So, finally I thought they gave us a certain answer.

Thank you

That sounds encouraging. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Hi all,

My husband is principle applicant 2014AS11XXX . We are in USA on F1 I would like to know what way is best for us AOS or CP. If he choosed to go for CP can he only go or we all 4 family members should go there? due to many reasons , If he decided to go alone with out family, will his visa GC denied in CP? at the same time can we 3 mem do AOS here? Also he had work off campus and filled tax , does that matter in CP processing?

Thank you.

CP or AOS? Can't make that decision for you, that's your call. There's a tab one the spreadsheet in the following link that talks about CP vs AOS, go through it:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AozhLxh12qzYdDU3WkxHaFFtdVI4Y01oTFc3ZnZlb1E#gid=6

Yeah, he could go alone as long as he indicates on his DSP-230 form that his family will be doing follow-to-join. After he gets his visa and returns to the US, the rest of the family can file AOS. However, in order to adjust status as DV derivatives, the adjustment for the rest of the family must be completed by the end of the DV FY, i.e. Sept 2014. The other option will be for him to file for the rest of the family under the F2A family category which can take anywhere between a couple of months to a couple of years depending on the filing priority date. Of course you need to be aware that if your husband is the one with the F1 status and the rest of the family is in the US as his dependents, you automatically loose your F2 status once he converts to an LPR status which means you cannot remain in the US and adjust status - yeah, a catch 20/20.

Working off campus isn't likely to be noted or asked about during CP. However, it's a situation that can still come back to haunt him if it's discovered, even after becoming a LPR. If he undertook unathorized employment, he clearly violated his F1 status and doing CP for the purpose of hiding that fact isn't something I would suggest.

Last edited by a moderator:
So basically if I did not have my interview before graduation its ok to not freak out :) Since I have not filed OPT or anything because of possible dual intent, will it be ok to interview in let's say June or July when I will be out of school for couple of months?

Thanks

Not quite sure what you mean by "getting EAD does not seem to be something to rely on...." The EAD card is usually received within 2/3 months of sending in the package, but of course in your case, I don't know if you will receive it or not since you only included 2 passport photos instead of 4. Of course the 2 photos intended for the GC will actually not be used for the GC, the picture taken during the bio appointment is what will be used for the GC. But I guess they still use the pictures to confirm the applicant is the applicant is the same person showing up for the interview. If I'm not mistaken, upon graduation you're no longer eligible for CPT, right? You will of course continue to be in status if you've not had your interview and a final decision by the time you graduate in May. Of course you can't take up an offer of employment without the EAD card after that.

Thank you Sm1smom for your really helpful reply. Actually I am F1 too and kids are under my F2. So I think that will not be an issue. But now what I am really concerned is his off campus work:(, also we should fill the ds 220 with work he has done in last 5 years even for CP right?:confused:

Thank you .

So basically if I did not have my interview before graduation its ok to not freak out :) Since I have not filed OPT or anything because of possible dual intent, will it be ok to interview in let's say June or July when I will be out of school for couple of months?

Thanks

It's certainly too late to file OPT now anyways since you've already sent in your AOS package. You should be ok, fingers crossed, even if your interview does not take place by the time you graduate as long as you've received your acceptance notice from USICS. Of course, but God forbid, if your aos is denied, then you will no longer be in status, and this is part of why having an approved OPT might have been helpful.

Thank you Sm1smom for your really helpful reply. Actually I am F1 too and kids are under my F2. So I think that will not be an issue. But now what I am really concerned is his off campus work:(, also we should fill the ds 220 with work he has done in last 5 years even for CP right?:confused:

Thank you .

Yes, you're required to list all form of employment for the last 10 years on the DS-230 form.

Don't sweat it if you no longer have any evidence of your J1 status from back in 2006, that infomation is already in their system. Just make sure you remember the duration of your stay and whatever you did back then just in case they ask about it.

Yes, it's hard to tell whether smaller FO's process faster than those in bigger cities or those covering a wider jusrisdiction. One would ideally think that should be the case, but then if such smaller FO is not quite familiar with DV cases, the possibility of treating it like a regular AOS application could be high.

Thank you Sm1smom, very helpful and prompt as usual!

Hi AOS peeps

My friend is an immigration attorney (she isnt representing me) and when I asked her whether I just need to be "in status" when I send my AOS package or whether I still have to be "in status" at the date of the interview (to be eligible to do AOS) , she told me that I would just need to be in status as at the date I send my i485 package.

This is important because I will be in status until 1 August (the end of the 60 day post-OPT grace period) thus if I am current August or September I will be outside that grace period when I interview but in status when I send the package.

Does anybody have different advice or information on this issue and can you tell me what the source is? Has anyone who has been around these forums for a long time recall anyone having a problem taking this approach?

Hi AOS peeps

My friend is an immigration attorney (she isnt representing me) and when I asked her whether I just need to be "in status" when I send my AOS package or whether I still have to be "in status" at the date of the interview (to be eligible to do AOS) , she told me that I would just need to be in status as at the date I send my i485 package.

This is important because I will be in status until 1 August (the end of the 60 day post-OPT grace period) thus if I am current August or September I will be outside that grace period when I interview but in status when I send the package.

Does anybody have different advice or information on this issue and can you tell me what the source is? Has anyone who has been around these forums for a long time recall anyone having a problem taking this approach?

If you scroll through page 93 you will read about a very similar situation you' re about to find yourself in. However, his situation is a little shady because he did not provide with more information about his case and it seems like the problem was due to the fact that he applied for an EAD through I-485(and possibly previously worked without an EAD), which, from my understanding, is not how you are about to proceed.

It has been said that if your I-485 is accepted while you're in status, you'll be on a pending status and therefore it should not matter whether you go out of your F-1 status or not. However, it has been suggested to try to maintain your F-1 status current until the date of interview. If I am not wrong, a friend of mine applied for AOS and his OPT later expired, but I remember he continued to work. This means he must have applied for an EAD through I-485. I will try to verify this information with him.

Thanks- no, I intend to strictly adhere to my EAD expiry date of 2 June. I am saving money like mad to survive a period of unemployment whilst waiting for my interview date (should I get one- fingers crossed). I was not intending to apply for an EAD when I send my i-485 package as I dont want to risk complicating matters or delaying resolution of my case.

If you scroll through page 93 you will read about a very similar situation you' re about to find yourself in. However, his situation is a little shady because he did not provide with more information about his case and it seems like the problem was due to the fact that he applied for an EAD through I-485(and possibly previously worked without an EAD), which, from my understanding, is not how you are about to proceed.

It has been said that if your I-485 is accepted while you're in status, you'll be on a pending status and therefore it should not matter whether you go out of your F-1 status or not. However, it has been suggested to try to maintain your F-1 status current until the date of interview. If I am not wrong, a friend of mine applied for AOS and his OPT later expired, but I remember he continued to work. This means he must have applied for an EAD through I-485. I will try to verify this information with him.

Hi AOS peeps

I believe your attorney friend is wrong or she did not give you a full explanation. You will only continue to be in status if USCIS accepts your I-485 and issues the acceptance notification. Just sending the I-485 before your status expires or even having a delivery confirmation from the courier company that delivers your package, without USCIS confirming they've received and accepted your application will not make you "status pending". I think this is something you need to clarify with your attorney friend.

No, I don't think his denial had anything to do with applying for EAD with the I-485. USCIS actively encourages anyone not working or with an about to expire EAD to apply for an I-485 EAD if they want to or plan to keep working while the adjustment application is pending. Applying for an I-485 EAD is free.

Hi y'all

I'm new in the forum, but I've been reading the posts for quite a while and its been really helpful. After finding out I was selected for further processing a friend of mine , who is an attorney wasn't sure if its real or a scam - so I decided to get an attorney, luckily it was real. I'm in the USA since over three years now. At first on a J-1 and now on a F-1 visa, so I filed for AOS and until November 2013 everything went really smooth. I had my biometrics done and Medical and everything seemed good. My number is EU7*** and I was told I should get my interview before the new semester starts in January 2014. After not hearing anything from the USCIS or my Attorney for weeks, I started to check my status online and it said "Request for Evidence" and they sent a letter to my attorney. They didn't do their job and response right away, my attorney also quit her job without notifying me. So that nobody worked on my case for about a month, after calling them, they finally started working on it. Apparently, they wanted a form I didn't need, so my attorney sent a letter back, that was beginning of December! My online status changed to "Request for Evidence Response Review". Right before Christmas I received my EAD/AP card and my hopes were up to get the interview letter soon. Nothing happened and at the beginning of February I was at the end of my patients and called USCIS (was tired of dealing with my attorney), they confirmed that they have sent my file to the local office, which is New Orleans and that I should receive my interview date very soon. My online status is still on "Request for Evidence Response Review", but my Interview will be on Wednesday 3/26/14. My attorney changed again and the lady who will join me for my interview seems like she knows what she is talking about.

Ok I see, thank you. From a quick look at the DV AOS timeline docs it seems that it generally takes between a few days and a few weeks for the acceptance. So as long as I got the acceptance by 1 Aug it should be ok.

Also can you confirm that I can only apply for a new EAD once I can send my i485 package and cant send an EAD application just because I sent my dsp122 forms? Given how high my CN is I wouldnt want to risk sending in an EAD application with my AOS package (in case it delayed things) but if I could send it now to cover the gap between 2 June and interview date, that would be rad....

I believe your attorney friend is wrong or she did not give you a full explanation. You will only continue to be in status if USCIS accepts your I-485 and issues the acceptance notification. Just sending the I-485 before your status expires or even having a delivery confirmation from the courier company that delivers your package, without USCIS confirming they've received and accepted your application will not make you "status pending". I think this is something you need to clarify with your attorney friend.

I'm new in the forum, but I've been reading the posts for quite a while and its been really helpful. After finding out I was selected for further processing a friend of mine , who is an attorney wasn't sure if its real or a scam - so I decided to get an attorney, luckily it was real. I'm in the USA since over three years now. At first on a J-1 and now on a F-1 visa, so I filed for AOS and until November 2013 everything went really smooth. I had my biometrics done and Medical and everything seemed good. My number is EU7*** and I was told I should get my interview before the new semester starts in January 2014. After not hearing anything from the USCIS or my Attorney for weeks, I started to check my status online and it said "Request for Evidence" and they sent a letter to my attorney. They didn't do their job and response right away, my attorney also quit her job without notifying me. So that nobody worked on my case for about a month, after calling them, they finally started working on it. Apparently, they wanted a form I didn't need, so my attorney sent a letter back, that was beginning of December! My online status changed to "Request for Evidence Response Review". Right before Christmas I received my EAD/AP card and my hopes were up to get the interview letter soon. Nothing happened and at the beginning of February I was at the end of my patients and called USCIS (was tired of dealing with my attorney), they confirmed that they have sent my file to the local office, which is New Orleans and that I should receive my interview date very soon. My online status is still on "Request for Evidence Response Review", but my Interview will be on Wednesday 3/26/14. My attorney changed again and the lady who will join me for my interview seems like she knows what she is talking about.

I think it is VERY UNLIKELY you attorney (or any of them) know anything about the DV process.

Look at the numbers. Around 1 Million immigration cases are handled each year. Of those one million only 50k are DV cases, but over 95% of those are handled though consular processing abroad - meaning adjustment of status cases like yours are around 2000 per year. Of the 2000 per year the vast majority are processed without any help from attorneys, because the cases are simple to process. So I doubt there are more than around 200 cases a year where attorneys are involved. That is 200 cases out of 1 million cases per year - about 0.02%.

So unless there is something unusual or complicated about your case you have almost certainly spent a lot of money and wasted a lot of time educating attorneys who have never previously, and will never again, handle a DV case.

You did well to call USCIS yourself - and I would advise you to stay connected to this forum to learn all you need to know to finish processing your case. Good luck.

Goodness gracious! Why did you hire an attorney? Or is it that you only found out about this site after hiring the attorney. By the way, when did your attorney file your I-485?

Ok I see, thank you. From a quick look at the DV AOS timeline docs it seems that it generally takes between a few days and a few weeks for the acceptance. So as long as I got the acceptance by 1 Aug it should be ok.

Also can you confirm that I can only apply for a new EAD once I can send my i485 package and cant send an EAD application just because I sent my dsp122 forms? Given how high my CN is I wouldnt want to risk sending in an EAD application with my AOS package (in case it delayed things) but if I could send it now to cover the gap between 2 June and interview date, that would be rad....

That is correct. You cannot apply for an adjustment-based EAD just on the basis of having sent in your DSP-122. You can only do that when you send in your I-485 (or after sending it in for those who are interested in getting the EAD card but forgot to include the application with their package). You will have to make a separate payment for any other form of EAD application outside of the I-485

Thank you :) That's what I thought. Forced vacation for me then (not so awful :).

That is correct. You cannot apply for an adjustment-based EAD just on the basis of having sent in your DSP-122. You can only do that when you send in your I-485 (or after sending it in for those who are interested in getting the EAD card but forgot to include the application with their package). You will have to make a separate payment for any other form of EAD application outside of the I-485

I spoke to a few people and to my previous sponsor and everybody told me I should hire one (luckily I wasn't the one who had to pay for him) I also talked to USCIS at the beginning of the process and they said its recommended that I have one. So a friend of mine payed for one. I did a lot of research and apparently New Orleans is one of the slowest offices :( They did my I485 I think in August/September.

I wouldn't hire again an attorney, I could have done it by myself.

I'm ready to get it done!

Status
Not open for further replies.