• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Dv 2013 kenyan selectees report here!!!!

Retrieving docs. from embassy

Need some help here i got my visa last month but on collection i realized it had an error on my marital status. I contacted the embassy on that matter but never got a reply and decided to return the packet to them with a copy of the email i sent.Three days later they called me n asked to return the whole family's' packet and passports. Now they have gone mute one and a half weeks later. Checking dhl site indicates the docs were received,ceac site indicates the visas are ready but the csc visa site still shows the first pick up status and am unable to recreate another account since am returned to the initial page that i had created.
Anybody who has experienced such scenario please guide me since sept is fast ending and i wouldn't want last minute mishaps with my visa. Thanks

I also had to send the documents back to correct an error. There is a number on the csc site that you can call and actually speak to someone, explain the situation and he/she will be able to create the new delivery details for you.

Need some help here i got my visa last month but on collection i realized it had an error on my marital status. I contacted the embassy on that matter but never got a reply and decided to return the packet to them with a copy of the email i sent.Three days later they called me n asked to return the whole family's' packet and passports. Now they have gone mute one and a half weeks later. Checking dhl site indicates the docs were received,ceac site indicates the visas are ready but the csc visa site still shows the first pick up status and am unable to recreate another account since am returned to the initial page that i had created.
Anybody who has experienced such scenario please guide me since sept is fast ending and i wouldn't want last minute mishaps with my visa. Thanks

quetion

which bank did you activate your visa card and what did you have to go with to the bank to open accounts.
Hello house of winners; I have activated my visa in Houston yesterday. I have managed to open a checking, saving and secured credit card account.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats dear!
I woke up early enough to avoid any any small mistakes. I arrived at the Embassy 5.40am. My appointment was 6.30 am. Surprisingly, I got about 12 people already waiting at the gate! BY 6 am, we underwent security check after presenting passport and NL. Got inside, Produced the passport and NL again for some register to be marked. We then waited for like 10 minutes then went into a room where all electronics and other metalic things were left. Afterwards, I was given some number and went to the very cold outside to wait for my number to be called. While idle, I interacted with others and I got that many don't know about this forum or are not even computer literate. One said he only reads but never posts anything. After like an hour, my number was called to window 5. here, I gate my passport, NL, KCSE cert and copy, birth cert and copy, police clearance cert, degree cert and copy. was asked some random quizes by some Kenyan lady like...ever married, ever been convicted in court, any children, etc. Here, I saw the confidential results that were sent by KNEC my last passport photo was returned to me and I was aked to give one cope of the current passport photo. She then directed me to pay the interview fee. I paid, went to the cold outside again, sat and waited for another like 2 hours. My number was called again to window 8. I met some American Lady who spoke very fluent Ekegusii! I even wondered if my grandmother knows more Ekegusii than her! Here my fingerprints were taken then I went to the freezing outside again. Waited like 1 hour then my name was called. I didnt even know that I was now going to face the CO.
I didnt know that the interview with the CO is done from a window! I was welcomed by some American lady that is all smiles.
CO: raise your right hand and swear that you will say the truth.
ME: (I did)
CO: Sign here.
ME (I did)
CO: are you married
Me: No
CO: any children:
ME: none
CO: what do you do
ME: ( I responded)
CO: Do you know anybody in US
ME: yes, a relative
CO: where does he stay
ME : (I responded)
CO: Tell your host to wait for you
ME: Thank you mam
CO: I grant you the visa. (She handed me the green form and some form with alien numbser already written* seems like my visa was given before I even faced the CO)
ME: Thank you very much mam
CO: You can now go for lunch
ME. Thank you. By the way, Why didn't they take 2 passport photos from me?
CO: (I didnt hear what she said) just bring the other one.
ME: (I gave her)
ME: I want to change my host
CO: No problem, you will d that later
me: Thank you.

THATS ALL

My question:
All my original education docs, birth cert etc remained there. IS that how it is supposed to be?

Hi Everyone Please pray for your new life in the USA especially for your host coz without a good host life is not easy at all.

Hi Everyone Please pray for your new life in the USA especially for your host coz without a good host life is not easy at all.

OK I am genuinely intrigued about this. Many African winners talk about finding a host. What is the relationship with the host, typically? Does the immigrant expect the host to pay to support them, house them and so on? How long do you expect that to last? Is there an expectation of later payment for the help? From some of the posts it seems like these people are sometimes strangers or only known through mutual friends - it seems like a lot to ask from someone who barely knows you.

Can anyone tell me more about that?

which bank did you activate your visa card and what did you have to go with to the bank to open accounts.

I activated my immigration visa not a bank card. I went to Bank of America and needed two forms of ID, I used my passport and UK driver's licence. You will need your US address and phone number.

OK I am genuinely intrigued about this. Many African winners talk about finding a host. What is the relationship with the host, typically? Does the immigrant expect the host to pay to support them, house them and so on? How long do you expect that to last? Is there an expectation of later payment for the help? From some of the posts it seems like these people are sometimes strangers or only known through mutual friends - it seems like a lot to ask from someone who barely knows you.

Can anyone tell me more about that?

Hi Britsimon,

The idea is that when one moves over to the US you get a 'soft-landing'. Usually it is with relatives and/or friends. It can be a daunting task to get to that place and expect to find your way around. Most of these relatives/friends don't expect any form of monetary pay back. The social structures here in Africa are such that you are expected to help-out which of-course is changing rapidly. It is derived from the concept of extended families. How far does this help go? Well it is largely dependent on the kind of relationship and the financial status of both the host and the hostee. I have also read posts however where relatives have at the last minute canceled their offer of help to a new immigrant who has just arrived at the airport.
I have also seen posts where people are sometimes strangers and I am not sure of the dynamics involved.

Condolenses to all the families and friends who lost their loved
Ones yesterday at the shopping centre in Nairobi.

Hi Britsimon,

The idea is that when one moves over to the US you get a 'soft-landing'. Usually it is with relatives and/or friends. It can be a daunting task to get to that place and expect to find your way around. Most of these relatives/friends don't expect any form of monetary pay back. The social structures here in Africa are such that you are expected to help-out which of-course is changing rapidly. It is derived from the concept of extended families. How far does this help go? Well it is largely dependent on the kind of relationship and the financial status of both the host and the hostee. I have also read posts however where relatives have at the last minute canceled their offer of help to a new immigrant who has just arrived at the airport.
I have also seen posts where people are sometimes strangers and I am not sure of the dynamics involved.

Thanks for that Jonge. That makes sense - especially among family or extended family. That is true to some extent in European cultures only - my Spanish extended family CERTAINLY make good use of that tradition!

The strangers case is what is more intriguing though.

my wife left her place to reach Westgate and because of traffic she got late and en route she was informed that terrorist attack happened and she was saved. Alhumdolillah, God is great

Hello house of winners; I have activated my visa in Houston yesterday. I have managed to open a checking, saving and secured credit card account.

hi BurundiWinner - did u pay for ur USCIS Fee b4 ur departure or when u get to Houston. Also, can I pay mine in the USA ???
Would also love to meet u guyz cos I'll be coming to Houston, Texas in days...

This attack at Westgate mall really took a toll on me considering my bro works thea add my AP situation and the only thing i can do is write my Will coz i dont think i can withstand another shock

So sad to read what Kenya is going through. My thoughts go out to all those affected and I hope for a speedy end to it all so that the healing can begin...

This attack at Westgate mall really took a toll on me considering my bro works thea add my AP situation and the only thing i can do is write my Will coz i dont think i can withstand another shock
Pekindu, my thoughts and prayers go to you and your family! Be hopeful that things will go well. Amen!