• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Dv 2013 kenyan selectees report here!!!!

Tell us something here, what happens if you miss your connecting flight? Can you carry some medication like inhalers in the plane

Tell us something here, what happens if you miss your connecting flight? Can you carry some medication like inhalers in the plane

If you have medicine that you might need if delayed then yes you should certainly take it on the flight. Carry emergency amounts only, and take the doctors note for the medicine.

If you miss your flight you will have to wait for the next available flight and there might be surcharges. Ensure when you book you have layovers of 3-4 hrs. I did a booking for a client going to Chicago and we ensured she landed in the morning. Apparently their flight was the first in so she dint take long at the immigration

If you are going to Minnesota, which is your port of entry (POE)-where your papers will be processed?

If you are going to Minnesota, which is your port of entry (POE)-where your papers will be processed?

Your port of entry depends on where the airline company you take touches the USA Soil first regardless of where you will be staying so lets say if you are going to Minnesota with Emirates and your flight for instance lands in Washington for a stop then your imigration paper will be processed in Washington and then when you take your next flight from washington to Minnesota it becomes a local flight so you wont be going through immigration anymore at that time

KLM does direct Minneapolis-St. Paul Airport, they might not be the cheapest though..but as Berthlier said your 1st airport in the US is where you get USCIS to process you.

DV 2013 is almost coming to a close..am proud of you guys , you really made PAPA a proud guy, I took a back seat but have been visiting the page frequently, what I can say is that this has bee the most hot page in DV lottery history the admin can bear me witness and its because of the wonderful people of KEnya, Uganda, Burundi, we are all one..
OH AMERICA!! their national anthem is complicated ..well my observation so far..
1. Be patient don't come with a lot of fire ...(Yaani moto mingi) take each step at a time remember this is not a continuation of your professional life..(not in all field though but most)
2. Remember you ra toddler you have to be moved around coz you cant drive unless you have an international drivers license
3. You might want to visit some place but you are at the mercy of your host you go as per his/her schedule
4. America humbles you , with odr without degree watu wako sawa that's why The embassy insists on High school diploma, you should get prepared to do some jobs that you never imagined of (am not saying everyone) if you are lucky you will do something you like but its very rare. the good thing is you get to be paid every two weeks.
5. Maintaina healthy lifestyle because medical insurance is extremely expensive and this explains why Health proffesionals are highly paid, and also the reason why we have supermarket ya madawa only.
6. KERORO aka POMBE, BEER, you can have it yes, but don't DRIVE ukishikwa na DUI(Driving Under Influence), your drivers license sahau! form sometimes, You also risk your professional license ya kazi from being withdrawn, hefty lawyers fees, JELA ! arafu deportations..ask yourself if its WORTH it..Kunywa kwa hao ama let someone drive you kama uko high..
7. open a bank account
8. Wacha moto ya GC you will eventually get it, your passport and social security number is evidence enough to get employed as a legal immigrant..
9. Mambo ya Madame..ERO! funga zip ama ulipe 20% child support fro your salo..by default women are Always right by law..akipigia karao umemthreaten ole wako, you are gone..some Kenyans are in jail coz a woman faked rape..(Akataa-african American Women-story for another day)
10. Not last but stay FOCUSED! stay on course have a plan, know what brought you here, rudi shule..you will not regret..

.........to be continued,
Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the authors and do not
necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any agency of the U.S. government.................................................

DV 2013 is almost coming to a close..am proud of you guys , you really made PAPA a proud guy, I took a back seat but have been visiting the page frequently, what I can say is that this has bee the most hot page in DV lottery history the admin can bear me witness and its because of the wonderful people of KEnya, Uganda, Burundi, we are all one..
OH AMERICA!! their national anthem is complicated ..well my observation so far..
1. Be patient don't come with a lot of fire ...(Yaani moto mingi) take each step at a time remember this is not a continuation of your professional life..(not in all field though but most)
2. Remember you ra toddler you have to be moved around coz you cant drive unless you have an international drivers license
3. You might want to visit some place but you are at the mercy of your host you go as per his/her schedule
4. America humbles you , with odr without degree watu wako sawa that's why The embassy insists on High school diploma, you should get prepared to do some jobs that you never imagined of (am not saying everyone) if you are lucky you will do something you like but its very rare. the good thing is you get to be paid every two weeks.
5. Maintaina healthy lifestyle because medical insurance is extremely expensive and this explains why Health proffesionals are highly paid, and also the reason why we have supermarket ya madawa only.
6. KERORO aka POMBE, BEER, you can have it yes, but don't DRIVE ukishikwa na DUI(Driving Under Influence), your drivers license sahau! form sometimes, You also risk your professional license ya kazi from being withdrawn, hefty lawyers fees, JELA ! arafu deportations..ask yourself if its WORTH it..Kunywa kwa hao ama let someone drive you kama uko high..
7. open a bank account
8. Wacha moto ya GC you will eventually get it, your passport and social security number is evidence enough to get employed as a legal immigrant..
9. Mambo ya Madame..ERO! funga zip ama ulipe 20% child support fro your salo..by default women are Always right by law..akipigia karao umemthreaten ole wako, you are gone..some Kenyans are in jail coz a woman faked rape..(Akataa-african American Women-story for another day)
10. Not last but stay FOCUSED! stay on course have a plan, know what brought you here, rudi shule..you will not regret..

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the authors and do not
necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any agency of the U.S. government.................................................

Yap i support you maze(men) you go by the rules thanks papasan for the short warning signs its true so guys who r coming be good to your host it helps:p

Sorry for the delayed feedback, was just trying to get my bearings. I got here last Thursday and the main focus has been trying to get my daughter in school. Hopefully she should get in 2moro, then I'll have time to go on the job hunt.

But for those just preparing to travel, here is my experience, hopefully you find it helpful.

Have your passport (obviously) and sealed package from the embassy in your hand luggage, because they will be required at the airport on arrival. The x-ray and copy of your immunizations can be in your checked luggage, since they are not required at the airport. You'll only have access to your checked bags after clearing immigration.

For those with a connecting flight after your initial flight into the US, please make sure that you have at least 3 or 4 hours connection time. As you've seen from others that came before and missed their connection, the immigration process is lengthy, because of the large number of people. So be careful when booking your ticket. The default is the first available connection is taken, but ask your ticketing agent to book a connection that is a minimum of 3hrs after you arrive, but I'd even recommend 4hrs, depending on how busy the airport you are using is. I arrived at Washington DC's IAD, then traveled by road, but it took me just under 3 hours, from landing to exiting the airport.

Anyway, when you arrive, you join the normal visitors line. Arriving passengers are divided between US citizens and permanent residents on one side, and visitors on the other. At this point, even though you are traveling on an immigrant visa, you are not yet resident, so you join the visitors line. After you are done with the immigration office in this line, you'll then be directed to another officer specifically handling new immigrants. And then when you are done with him, you can pick up you checked bags, proceed to the customs check point, where your bags will be scanned and then you can exit the airport or go on to your connecting flight.

Please, do not carry any fruits, meat, fish, plants, seeds etc. I know we all love our African food, but don't carry any of that, it may be taken away and destroyed and will only serve to delay you even further, and you'd have just carried "dead weight", which could have been used for other things in your suitcases. A lady from Kenya ahead of me in the line was held up because she had carried Milo. I left her there trying to explain that it was similar to Cadbury's drinking chocolate. I left her there opening up her cases to show them what it is. I think they eventually let her in with it, but if you are rushing to catch a connecting flight, you don't want unnecessary delays. You can always get some of these things on future trips.

One last point, for those of you that are already driving, I recommend getting an International Driving Permit from your national Automobile Association. This will allow you to start driving as soon as you arrive, until you are able to get a US driving permit. My hosts use the train to go to work, so I have access to the car, which has been a great help in running around to get all the requirements for my daughter to join school, but I wouldn't be able to use the car without the permit. And you don't need someone to take you around, all you need is the GPS device to guide you to your destination. Your hosts will be busy, so you want to be as independent as possible, so being able to drive yourself is handy, especially if you are moving to a town or city with limited public transportation.

Thanks for these tips...where can one get an international drivers license in Uganda?

You can Google example:Texas Free DMV Test - Get 500+ license questions online.
driversprep.com

First you go through written test before you go for practical it also depends on which state you will go. Its all here.

7. open a bank account

Thanks for your free but valuable advice. By the way, can a Kenyan Bachelor of Education degree help one there?

Friends, I need your support and prayers for my interview on Tuesday 6.30 am

Our Good God is already ahead of u to prepare ur success
It shall be well come Tuesday and all we are waiting for is just ur succes testimony
Remain Blessed