• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Dv 2013 kenyan selectees report here!!!!

After security check and long
wait in the queue,I was called
at window
4 where I gave em my
police,birth and O-level cert.I
waited.I was
called back at window 1 for
fingerprints.After a long
wait I was
called at window 9 for
interview
CO:Do you swear that what
you will say is nothing bt the
truth?
Me:(Raisin my right hand)I
swear.
CO:Are you married,do you
have children?
Me:No.
CO:what do you do?
Me:I am currently a job
seeker.
CO:Have you furthered ur
studies from O-level?
Me:Yes
CO:what have you done?
Me:Aircraft Maintenance
Engineering
CO:can I see the Documents?
(She took them,looked at
them carefully and
gave them back).
CO:How long does the course
take?
Me:3years
CO:who is your sponsor?
Me:my brother
CO:what is his name and
where does he live in the US?
Me:blah blah blah blah
CO:I am going to give you the
visa(pulling a green paper on
the side
shelf).This paper contains
instructions on how to
register with the
DHL..Then we will send you ur
passport and the visa package
to the DHL
point that you register with.
(Then gave me a white paper
with
instructions on hw to make
the immigrant fee payment)
Have a good day.
Me:Thank you ma'am.Have a
good day too.
Next conversatio

Congratulation that was fast,Our God is Faithful

some general info on life in America

Check this out
Hey Obeezyb,

sorry for taking forever to respond. Been kinda caught up with all sorts of things that I hadnt had time to come back here. Hope all of you are well. To quickly answer some of your questions:

> Cost of living:
Really depends where you are. California and New York are generally more expensive than other states, but then again, within each state, the cost of living varies too. San Diego is generally more expensive than Bakersfield, but then again is more affordable than the San Jose metropolitan area.

>Accommodation
Here again, it all depends where you are in the country, and also what kind of neighborhood you live in. In Los Angeles for instance, you'd have to budget within $1,700 - $2,000 for a 2 bedroom 1.5 bathroom apartment in the Pasadena area. This might or might not come fully-equipped with microwave, dishwasher, fridge, washing-machine, dryer, and a communal pool. Just a few neighborhoods away in Van Nuys, $1,200 - $1,500. In Inglewood or Compton, $800 - $1,200, but with much less or poorer quality facilities. In Atlanta, GA you would likely get all that and more for less than what you'd pay in Pasadena, whereas in New York, because space is such a premium and the cost of living is high, you'd get a comparable place for a lot more - without the swimming pool.

>Crime
All depends on the city you are in, with each Metropolitan area having specific neighborhoods that have a higher crime rate than others. Back in the 80s during the crack epidemic, we grew up knowing New York City as having the worst crime and walking alone at night was never a safe thing to do. This was also reinforced by Hollywood movies. I walked alone at night when I was in Manhattan 4 years ago and i never once felt threatened. New York City has had a huge drop in crime rate since the 90s. On the other hand Washington, DC and Atlanta, GA overtook New York as more crime-ridden. They've since improved too. Right now, I would feel least safest in New Orleans and would want to move around with someone who knows the city well. If I'm not mistaken it has the worst homicide rate in America. In L.A. there's neighborhoods that you need to beware about going into if you dont know them. These would be the gang-infested areas. Most areas are safe to go about your business, and with time you'll learn which neighborhoods to avoid at certain times of the day.

>Transport.
New York City has a good subway system, that can get you around and abouts pretty well. L.A. has horrible public transit, but there's a huge on-going initiative to get budgeting in place to expand our light-rail system, with current lines being extended and new lines being put in place. Buses are all over the place, but nothing like in London (UK) where buses used to get me to the most hidden of streets. Here, they stick to the major roads. Also their frequency depends on the area your in. Where I live, buses run once every 30 mins along their routes. LA has the not-so-fancy title of the "traffic jam capital of the US" and thats simply because we drive everywhere - one because public transit cant get us where we need to go, or fast enough, and secondly, because we are just lazy. Like we say here, if its more than a 5 mins walk away, then we're driving there.

Not sure about public transit in other major cities. I used the Washington DC metro once, but for a short trip so I cant really tell how could it is for those that live there.

>Employment.
Even though the economy is recovering, there are certain sectors that havent recovered well. The public sector in California has been hard hit, teachers that were laid off have yet to be re-hired. And new graduate teachers cant even get substitute teaching jobs as those prefer teachers with experience, so the previously laid-off teachers are preferred. Arizona, next door, though had a huge drive about two years ago to recruit laid-off Cali teachers. An easier move if you're single than if you have family, with kids in school, and spouse in a job of her/his own.

The IT sector recovered pretty well. In early 2008, a job search for Network Engineering jobs, with Cisco certification, in the Los Angeles area would return like 3 matches. By early 2009 while the economy was still limping, there was 100s of jobs. I work in IT and I get a lot of calls from IT recruiters about my interest in an opportunity they have. Programmers, Application Developers, Database Engineers, Systems Engineers have a great opportunities. The more advanced your qualifications, the better and more numerous the opportunities too.

>Education.
You might or might not already be aware, but Elementary School (Primary) through High School (Secondary) is all free. The school your child gets placed in depends on the area you live in, as cities are carved out into school districts. Some school districts are poorer run than others and have lower quality schools than other school districts. Mind you, what America calls a poorer quality school district is far better than anything Uganda has to offer. For instance, LAUSD (L.A Unified School District) is generally considered a poorer quality school district, and people will point out how there's fewer teachers per classroom, so one teacher pays less attention to all kids. Parents freak out when their child is placed in a classroom that has 30 kids. I laugh when I see the shock on parents faces when I tell them in UG I was once in a class with 60+ kids with one teacher teaching us all subjects.

After graduating High School, you have to pay for tertiary education, unless you get a scholarship. You generally pay less if you are an in-state student (i.e. you are resident in the state that your university is in) than if you are an out-of-state student, who will also pay less than international students.

As a GC holder you will be eligible to the same grants and student loans that US citizens have. The loans are offered to you every beginning of school year, how much depending on different factors, like how much you earn, etc. The loans are lower interest rate than a bank would offer. They are repayable once you graduate. Thats why you might frequently hear Americans talking about their student loans well after they have graduated. Scholarships are available for all sorts of things - sports being a huge thing. Thats why every parent gets their kids involved in sports, coz you never know if your kid will actually turn out to be pretty good and get offered a full or partial scholarship.

Hope I've been able to shed some light on a couple of areas you were interested about. If there's anything you want to get more specific into, let me know and I'll be glad to share whatever information I can.

Makiki when u finish eating lunch explain to me how to get details of the DHL i have registered but how do I get (To pick up the applicant's passport form DHL, you must obtain the DHL Air Waybill number from our website. There are 2 options to check on the status of the document pick-up and to get the DHL Air Waybill.):p

Yes it was a good n blessed walk over. Kylexy,congratulations!
Remember us ,those still waitn for 2NL in ur prayers.

Cera..God walked me over.Thats wat I got when I laid the issue on his arms.God is goin to do it for you as well.Thats why I call it HOUSE OF WINNERS.

Makiki when u finish eating lunch explain to me how to get details of the DHL i have registered but how do I get (To pick up the applicant's passport form DHL, you must obtain the DHL Air Waybill number from our website. There are 2 options to check on the status of the document pick-up and to get the DHL Air Waybill.):p
By now or tomorrow evening each and everyone of you will receive a message from the Embassy telling you that your documents are on transit and they will give you the airway bill to track it so kesho jioni you have your visa or Saturday by noon.

By now or tomorrow evening each and everyone of you will receive a message from the Embassy telling you that your documents are on transit and they will give you the airway bill to track it so kesho jioni you have your visa or Saturday by noon.

At long last thanks:p

Thanks makiki...You made a major contributions to this achievement..Explain abit bout the DHL process
You need to create an account with DHL to track your Visa. But after 3 or 4 days you receive a message from the Embassy telling you that your documents are on transit on return to you and they will give you the Airway Bill Number. So Monday au Satarday you will be having your Visa. The message will read like the one below

Document in transit from U.S. Consular Section
Dear KYLEXY, This email is to inform you that a document has been submitted to the courier by the U.S. consular section for return to you. On average, it takes one to two business days for the package to be available. The document is being sent via the courier option you selected at registration. The air waybill tracking number for the package is 1234567890. You will need this number to receive your document. For additional information on the current tracking status of the document, the delivery location, or for a list of identification required to receive the document, please log into our website at http://usvisa-info.com. Please remember that you must use your passport number, date of birth, and nationality to log into the system.

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to create an account with DHL to track your Visa. But after 3 or 4 days you receive a message from the Embassy telling you that your documents are on transit on return to you and they will give you the Airway Bill Number. So Monday au Satarday you will be having your Visa. The message will read like the one below

Document in transit from U.S. Consular Section
Dear KYLEXY, This email is to inform you that a document has been submitted to the courier by the U.S. consular section for return to you. On average, it takes one to two business days for the package to be available. The document is being sent via the courier option you selected at registration. The air waybill tracking number for the package is 1234567890. You will need this number to receive your document. For additional information on the current tracking status of the document, the delivery location, or for a list of identification required to receive the document, please log into our website at http://usvisa-info.com. Please remember that you must use your passport number, date of birth, and nationality to log into the system.

Hey,my learned friend,ma'am makiki.As soon as I read ur response to my concern,I received the message from the consular exactly the way you stated.

i would wana join tha army wen i goes to usa will it be a problem for me to join.any ideas abt this housemates?

June bulletin.

House of Winners we are yet to know the cut-off number for june bulletin. Im having this good feeling that it will b close to 60k i dont know why but i hope n pray this b so IJN.
Any predictions pls?

Hey,my learned friend,ma'am makiki.As soon as I read ur response to my concern,I received the message from the consular exactly the way you stated.
GREAT, so go check it tomorrow around 3pm or on Saturday noon. Start looking for flights and good luck.

House of Winners we are yet to know the cut-off number for june bulletin. Im having this good feeling that it will b close to 60k i dont know why but i hope n pray this b so IJN.
Any predictions pls?

It has never been up to 60K what happens they reach 50K and there after everyone becomes current so what happens you wait for your 2NL as per when you sent the forms and how high your case ranks. Good luck my friends

@MaKiki, Ma'am, what if a person's AP get so lengthy that by the time his/her AP is finished, all 50k visas have been issued. Do you think such a scenario could happen???

i would wana join tha army wen i goes to usa will it be a problem for me to join.any ideas abt this housemates?

Register With the Selective Service
If you are a man and you are 18 to 26 years old, you must register with the Selective Service.When you register, you tell the government that you are available to serve in the U.S. Armed Forces.The United States does not have a military draft now. This means that permanent residents and citizens do not have to serve in the Armed Forces unless they want to. You can register at a United States post office or on the Internet.To register for Selective Service on the Internet, visit the Selective Service website: http://www.sss.gov. To speak with someone from the Selective Service, call 847-688-6888.This is not a free call. You can also find information on the USCIS website http://www.uscis.gov.

Selective Service Registration Form (click here)

@MaKiki, Ma'am, what if a person's AP get so lengthy that by the time his/her AP is finished, all 50k visas have been issued. Do you think such a scenario could happen???

The visas have never been exhausted as per my understanding