• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2013 AOS Only

Hey guys,

One of the lessons I learned doing my aos these past few months is that ultimately it doesn't matter how high your number is. They all get current and USCIS will bend over backwards to help you as long as you're persistent because they know their asses are on the line. I would advise you guys to read over dv 2012 and dv 2011 and you will see that NO ONE who did dos, regarding how high their number, did not get the gc. Our year was the first year where in June, for some unknown reason, ALL the numbers were current. You think that there is a predictable rhyme and reason to this but then you find out there truly isn't. For example I filed my aos in May this year but it wasn't until Sep 19 that I had my interview. One lady on here who was directly after me that day had sent in her aos in august and had an interview same day as me. We even had one person apply a month before the deadline, have their application sent across the country only to have it brought back on the last day and have their interview done right there and then while doing an infopass (making an appointment to go to the local USCIS office. USCIS may give you trouble but they know that they HAVE to approve you by Sep 30. A guy in our forum last year who hired an immigration attorney told him that dv lottery files normally have a time sensitive red sticker on them so the guys at USCIS know they have to get their act together.

The point is you soon find out that no matter how high your number is, you're at least 95% likely it will be approved. And remember that just because john doe who's number was current in October took 5 months to get approved, does not mean that jane doe's who's number is current in August will take that long. Experience is the later your number is current, the QUICKER everything takes because USCIS knows their working to a deadline. hope this helps.

You're right, but it is still a bit nerve-wracking. Can I ask how long Medical Exams are valid? One year or six months? my number is 8XXX and based on visa bulletin it's clearly unknown when I'll be current. I've been thinking of get everything done and then wait for my number to be current. Do I need police records both from my home country and here? I appreciate your help

Advice, please?

Hi guys,

My CN: AS00005***

So as you guys know that Asian cut-off number was really low for December, 2700. I am on F-1 student status, and my I-20 is expiring In May, 2013. Also I am assuming that my number will be current in April OR May.

I have already received my receipt and confirmation from KCC after notifying that I am doing AOS here in the U.S.

So I am afraid that my I-20 would be expired around when my number becomes current.

How should I deal with this situation?

Hi guys,

My CN: AS00005***

So as you guys know that Asian cut-off number was really low for December, 2700. I am on F-1 student status, and my I-20 is expiring In May, 2013. Also I am assuming that my number will be current in April OR May.

I have already received my receipt and confirmation from KCC after notifying that I am doing AOS here in the U.S.

So I am afraid that my I-20 would be expired around when my number becomes current.

How should I deal with this situation?

If you're going to graduate college in May, you can extend your stay through OPT. If you're simply finishing English school, then you can always apply to a community college and get another I-20 to let you stay here until your case number becomes current.

Thanks, Hexa... I am graduating from a college, not from English school :D. I thought about OPT too. But I just wanted to know what other options I do have...

Thanks, Hexa... I am graduating from a college, not from English school :D. I thought about OPT too. But I just wanted to know what other options I do have...

AFAIK OPT is the easiest and cheapest way to extend your stay. Flying back to your country would surely cost more than I-765 fee ($380). It's not a lot of money to buy a peace of mind, considering that (with few exceptions) you can only adjust your status to LPR if you are still in status. Just remember that you have to submit the OPT application before you graduate.

I don't advise going the OPT route. You definitely don't want to have two applications at the USCIS (OPT + Lottery Green Card) at the same time, especially when one is non-immigrant and the other is immigrant. This will mess things up real bad. Keep it simple and only go for the green card application. Hopefully your number will be current before May '13 when your I-20 expires, however, if your number is still not current until May '13, I suggest applying for an MS or PhD program at your same school, so you can have your I-20 extended to the duration of the MS or PhD degree. If you're not interested in obtaining your MS or PhD, or if you are already getting a PhD, I suggest delaying your graduation date by at least one semester or summer (August '13 or December '13), and extending your I-20 till then. Extending the I-20 is done at the school level, and does not have to go through an application with USCIS, especially if it's the same school. So extending the I-20 for whatever reason (delay in graduation, obtaining MS or PhD, etc.) is the safe route to go.

I don't advise going the OPT route. You definitely don't want to have two applications at the USCIS (OPT + Lottery Green Card) at the same time, especially when one is non-immigrant and the other is immigrant. This will mess things up real bad. Keep it simple and only go for the green card application. Hopefully your number will be current before May '13 when your I-20 expires, however, if your number is still not current until May '13, I suggest applying for an MS or PhD program at your same school, so you can have your I-20 extended to the duration of the MS or PhD degree. If you're not interested in obtaining your MS or PhD, or if you are already getting a PhD, I suggest delaying your graduation date by at least one semester or summer (August '13 or December '13), and extending your I-20 till then. Extending the I-20 is done at the school level, and does not have to go through an application with USCIS, especially if it's the same school. So extending the I-20 for whatever reason (delay in graduation, obtaining MS or PhD, etc.) is the safe route to go.

The Master's or PhD I-20 will only be issued once he is admitted into the program. Getting admitted takes time, you can't just decide to be admitted into a graduate program late in May. In many cases the application deadline for Fall semester is in December the previous year. It's even more complicated if the graduate program is competitive.

If his case number becomes current after the OPT application has been sent to the CIS, he can always withdraw the I-765 so as not to complicate the I-485.

Fingerprints

Hey guys. is there any ideas when the biometrics letter for fingerprints will arrive? I mean how long does it take for it to come after notice i 796?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone. every time i oped this topic, as i read, i realize that I have no idea what is going on... All i know is send aos fee and do your medical. someone asked about "biometric letter"? what is that? And this topic is very long and complicated to read. everyone has their own problems and questions, and i am already lost .Is there any guidelines that clearly lists all the steps for AOS procedure?

Hello everyone. every time i oped this topic, as i read, i realize that I have no idea what is going on... All i know is send aos fee and do your medical. someone asked about "biometric letter"? what is that? And this topic is very long and complicated to read. everyone has their own problems and questions, and i am already lost .Is there any guidelines that clearly lists all the steps for AOS procedure?

Once you paid the $330/person DV fee and it's confirmed that you can do AOS, then it's a matter of following all the requirements of filing an I-485. You can download the I-485 instructions here:
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

Chk this for a start, I m sure you will get 'some' idea!!

http://forums.immigration.com/showt...t-!-General-Info/page10&p=2589444#post2589444

Best!

Where do you send the $ 330dv lottery fee?

I sent $330 money order to the address bellow as provided by a KCC staff.

U.S. Department of State
Diversity Visa Program
P.O. Box 979079
St. Louis, Missouri 63197-9000

I received a mail from KCC and stated that they don't accept any payment for DV lottery in the address that i sent in.

I am wondering where you guys send your dv lottery fee?

Thanks,

Romeo.

Hey twf999

what is your case number. my is 13** and i send the I-485 on oct 1st and still havenot got any reply.

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

My case number is also 13**. I also sent my application on Oct 1st. One week later, I received the receipt letter from USCIS. I know some other people in this forum in the same state.

Have u used the correct address to file your documents? If so, you might want to give them a call and do a followup on your application.

Wish u luck,

Hey twf999

what is your case number. my is 13** and i send the I-485 on oct 1st and still havenot got any reply.

thanks

For those who will have their Biometrics appointment in upcoming days!

I just came across this page which explains about the background check.

I hope you find it useful too.

Wish you the best of luck with the rest of the process!

Loladvas,

Your case seems to be progressing really fast. I am also current in October and I sent my file the same day you did by FedEx overnight, it was received on October 2 but I have gotten nothing so far. No aceptance email or SMS and they haven't cashed the check either.

Pryanik :)

Pryanik,

I am also surprised by getting the bio letter this early. I was checking the progress dates for people from 2011 and 2010 and I didn't expect to get it today. I didn't include the e-notification form, so I never received a text or email.

I have an attorney representing me. I don't know if it is really true. But, I was told that having an attorney onboard may speedup things. Again, I am not sure if this statement is true.

I am sure you guys are also going to get yours tomorrow or so.

Lets stay in touch!

wish u the best of luck,

Loladvas,

Your case seems to be progressing really fast. I am also current in October and I sent my file the same day you did by FedEx overnight, it was received on October 2 but I have gotten nothing so far. No aceptance email or SMS and they haven't cashed the check either.

Loladvas,

I can assure you that having an attorney does not necessarily speed up the process, I also have one. :)

Thanks, hopefully we will get something this week.

I have a question, when USCIS sends documents by mail, is it the attorney or you the one who get these documents in the mail?

They send everything to me.

Loladvas,

I can assure you that having an attorney does not necessarily speed up the process, I also have one. :)

Thanks, hopefully we will get something this week.

I have a question, when USCIS sends documents by mail, is it the attorney or you the one who get these documents in the mail?