• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV-2012 winner. J-1 HRR waiver and AOS/CP questions

I don't think any of us have an answer to those questions. What I personally would do, is contact KCC and ask them. Maybe they will tell you it's better to change it. For now, definitely apply for the waiver.. today! The faster you do this, the higher chance you have of getting everything ready before the interview.

Definitely, start with the waiver asap. About the 40J, I dont have clear answer either. I contacted the KCC and they said: "KCC is not authorized to assist you with this issue. Please contact the American Embassy/Consulate with jurisdiction over your area for further information". I contacted the US embassy and they said: "for that question contact the KCC, we only receive the application when its approved by the KCC". So, try both the KCC and the US embassy, maybe you are luckier than me and can get a straight answer.

On a personal note, I don't think that answer yes to the 40J will hurt you right now, given that all those questions (40) must be signed at the embassy when you have the interview. However I don't know the true answer, this is just a guess.

Because of privacy reasons I'm not literally going to copy the text, but we explained that we won the DV-2012 and that we would like to take advantage of this opportunity, and then just a short sentence about our home country and that we believe we can get the NOS from them.

The letter to our embassy is longer. Here we had to write a real letter, instead of just a short sentence like on the DS- 3035. We explained that we won the DV and would like to stay because we have brighter job prospects here.

Thank you. I was not asking you what you literally wrote in the SoR, just to have an idea. About the letter to my country I have a better idea of what I want to write given they are more concise.

Glad I could help.
DOS received my application in good order, and I am able to login now. Status is pending. I received one letter from my home country regarding tax debt yesterday, and I hope the other one will follow soon. After that, it's off to the embassy and then the real waiting begins.

For now, my i was told by the lawyers to initially get my waiver before i send any forms. They say i should try to get the waiver before end of July. DOS takes 6 to 8 weeks to issue the waiver. I have applied to my embassy for the NOS. My embassy is kinda not very helpful as they wanna send the docs to my home country for approval first. I will keep fighting for this. Don't give up guys.

Did any of you mail the DSP-122 to KCC yet?

What country are you from? We will also wait with sending back the forms until we have the waiver. My embassy told me they usually send out the NOS in a few days, so hopefully I will have everything ready before July.
I read that if the waiver is registered as accepted by the DOS, you can start filing the documents. You have to have the physical waiver before you go to the interview (but that usually takes a few months after October, so I'm sure that will be fine).

2012j1: Have you signed the petition http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/dv2012? and joined the facebook group http://www.facebook.com/dv2012? Maybe nothing will happen but this is our last hope to try to fix this stuff. There are still 50 days until July 15, so something could help us. Just make noise, media presence, some congressmen/women on our side, immgration experts,...We will see.

Btw, have you sent all the waiver stuff before May 13? Have you already paid the $215 of the waiver?

Best,

Hi 2012j1,

Do you have any news from your waiver application? Do they grant you with it? Important question, since they (DOS) received your application (the mail) with all the documents and the check, how long it took for them to update something on the "check the status" http://j1visawaiverstatus.state.gov/Default.asp, which date did they received your application.
Yes, I sent my application, my government gave the NOS in five days, but I am waiting they say something on the status because there is no updates.
About the redraw, we will see what happens on July, 12 and if the injunction is granted or everything is finally over.

Well we still have not asked our government for the NOS, so everything is on hold. I wanted to wait until the (possible) new drawing before we make a decision on what to do next. We could login to check our status before the 13th of May. When did you get the NOS? I think it will take a while before the DOS registers it. Really curious to see if they grant the waiver based on winning DV2012 as the statement of reason. If we do not win again (or regain or winning ticket through the lawsuit) we might go for a H1B, and in that case we also need the waiver. I'll have to check if we can change our statement of reason though..

My government gave the NOS on June, 16, and I applied for it on June, 10. They didn't realize about the results being voided, and actually they don't care so much about it. You should try, I bet your government didn't realize about this mess. The number of people who have asked for a waiver based on winnig the DV in a country like yours must be extremely low. In Spain, the records said just one person before me. The Waiver Review Division in St. Louis received my documents and check on June, 20. So, I have been waiting for any updates for almost three weeks here http://j1visawaiverstatus.state.gov/Default.asp and nothing. I called them and they said to wait two weeks for updates, in the website it says around one month http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/info/info_5503.html.
I don't understand what do you mean by this: "We could login to check our status before the 13th of May". You should be able to login always, as long as you have a case number, it has nothing to do with the lottery. Have you sent the documents (DS-3035, check,...) to the Waiver Review Division in St. Louis? If so, when did you do it?

We are not going through with it because it is likely that we will get a J-1 extension, that means that we have to apply for another waiver (because you also get a new DS-2019). So for now it does not make any sense to go through with it, unless we get some positive news about DV-2012 or a possible H1B offer.
I'm sure my government would be able to give us the NOS, so that is not the thing I was worried about. The only thing that might be an issue is; DOS makes the final decision about the waiver case, so even with the NOS from our governments, they can still decide not to give out the waiver (one reason would be that they do not see a reason why you should get it, since you are no longer a winner). They are of course aware of the DV-2012 situation, and might see that as a reason to not give out the waiver. Hope you get a positive answer soon though. For now I'm just speculating about these things.
Oh and yes, you misunderstood what I said. I mean, I checked the website before the 13th. After that, I did not login because it was a bit useless since we would wait with going forward until a decision is made on what we will do next. I'm sure I'm able to login though ;) I sent it the 3rd or 4th of May if I'm correct, and a few days later I could see that they processed it.

so, in less than ten days, you were able to login and you already had updates saying they received the DS-3035 and the check? In my case, three weeks since they received and nothing, no updates at all

Item Action Date
Fee Received May 11, 2011
Form DS-3035 Received May 11, 2011
Form DS-2019 Received May 11, 2011
Passport Data Page Received May 11, 2011
Statement Of Reason Received May 11, 2011

So yeah, on the 11th they received everything. I hope you will get to see some updates soon, maybe it's just a busy time of year now. Let me know what happens when you get the updates okay?