• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV-2012 status check - new Bugs on their systems? :D

Carmageddon

Registered Users (C)
Hey everyone!

I am sure we all have been anticipating the July 15th, with hope...

"Apparently", I did not win, but I am not sure that is true, because of the following:

If I take my registration number 201229*** and modify randomly, even make fictitious username and birth date - I still get the same "Not elected blah blah" message!

Anyone else experiencing the same issue?
I only used Chrome so far, has anyone managed to get different (eg. elected) message at all? especially on Chrome.

Hey everyone!

I am sure we all have been anticipating the July 15th, with hope...

"Apparently", I did not win, but I am not sure that is true, because of the following:

If I take my registration number 201229*** and modify randomly, even make fictitious username and birth date - I still get the same "Not elected blah blah" message!

Anyone else experiencing the same issue?
I only used Chrome so far, has anyone managed to get different (eg. elected) message at all? especially on Chrome.

This is simply because the system is programmed to check against the 100K winners, if the 3 fields match the 3 fields of a winner than you get your NL, otherwise you're informed that you weren't selected.

Stupid thread. Website checks against winners. If number, name and DOB don't match you get "not selected" I thought it didn't take much brains to figure this out but I guess it does. Close this thread.

Ah, but that is VERY bad software design :(
This way, if I made a misspelling in the registration number (and it is very long...), I wont even know I made a mistake...
For example in my number there is a (I think) 0, but very well could be O.

Am I supposed to check every variation for every character?

Also, wanna hear something very weird??
TWICE, that the emails I sent to myself with my code, have disappeared from Gmail!! First time when I was looking for my code on May 1st, and lucky eventually found the backup page I printed, with the code encoded in QR barcode :)
And now again, I had to decrypt it from my printed QR barcode page LOL...

Conspiracy, anyone? :mad:

Ah, but that is VERY bad software design :(
This way, if I made a misspelling in the registration number (and it is very long...), I wont even know I made a mistake...
For example in my number there is a (I think) 0, but very well could be O.

Am I supposed to check every variation for every character?

Also, wanna hear something very weird??
TWICE, that the emails I sent to myself with my code, have disappeared from Gmail!! First time when I was looking for my code on May 1st, and lucky eventually found the backup page I printed, with the code encoded in QR barcode :)
And now again, I had to decrypt it from my printed QR barcode page LOL...

Conspiracy, anyone? :mad:

This is a really serious life decision, you shouldn't be making any mistakes, and if you did once, you won't when you double (and triple) check!!
I really hate conspiracy theorists!

No harm in asking and checking how the system works.

Be sure I intend to double check it again later, but basically the QR barcode standard is protected against mistakes, it has extra data on it so it wont be mis-read.
I'll need to read it again and mail to myself, instead of typing it out manually.

Still, I am a software developer and I find it unbelievable someone would design a system (important one, at that..) to NOT give proper error message, when no matching reg number found!

It's not rocket science. They do say "Please verify that you have entered all information correctly. You may re-check the Entry status by clicking on the ESC Home Page link below."

No harm in asking and checking how the system works.

Be sure I intend to double check it again later, but basically the QR barcode standard is protected against mistakes, it has extra data on it so it wont be mis-read.
I'll need to read it again and mail to myself, instead of typing it out manually.

Still, I am a software developer and I find it unbelievable someone would design a system (important one, at that..) to NOT give proper error message, when no matching reg number found!

The DV program is very much underfunded, I've had friends intern at DOS and they told me that the PCs they use are very very old...This is a gov body and wight now it's crunch time not much money to spend.