• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV-2012: Leaving the US question. PLEASE ADVISE!

Powka

Registered Users (C)
Hey,

First of all for all those thinking bad things: No, I am not intending on abandoning by Green Card as if I would have taken a chance from someone else to live in the USA. I am only planning on leaving for a short period of time (5-6 months), and get back to live in the USA for rest of my life, hopefully. The reason I need to get back is because of my work - I would like to earn a bit more money, and get a quitting package, etc. so I can live more comfortable for a while in the USA.

If someone could help me out with the following questions, I would really appreciate that. I couldn't find any information/FAQs on the official websites on this issue, so if you could maybe point me where this has been said, that would also be great.

- After entering the USA for the first time, how soon can I leave US after this? I hear people saying after 1 week - any confirmation on this?
- If I am planning on leaving for no more than 6 months, do I have to [or would it be better if I] prepare some sort of documents, or ask for permission to leave, or anything else that would definitely guarantee that they will let me back in without a problem after less than 6 months of being away?

That's about it. Thanks for any info, fellas!!

There is a big BUT....it is up to the custom employee to let the person back in. Some people have occured difficulties in the recent past. You are allowed to leave but if they feel you are not in compliance with your GC they can take your GC from you, usually they will give you a warning first.

There is a big BUT....it is up to the custom employee to let the person back in. Some people have occured difficulties in the recent past. You are allowed to leave but if they feel you are not in compliance with your GC they can take your GC from you, usually they will give you a warning first.

Even if I return after less than 6 months?

Please, can someone confirm this? Kind of important.

You can get in trouble if you are staying more in a different country than the US after you got the GC. In your situation dont expect any problems you are fine to settle all things in you country befor finally moving. See my timelime for reference ;)

hello tazmania
i have question... i see that you got cn current in january so until then may-jan you did not hear anything from KKC?

sorry for so many questions. what does current really mean? that they are looking at your documents? (sorry its just I have no idea).

Oh, you need to check the visa bulletin http://travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_1360.html
There you find B. DIVERSITY IMMIGRANT (DV) CATEGORY and all regions listed.

E.g. When you take a look at the May bulletin http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_5424.html you find Europe 27,800. Which means, if your case number is below 27,800 you can expect a letter von KCC with your date for the interview.

There is also
C. ADVANCE NOTIFICATION OF THE DIVERSITY (DV) IMMIGRANT CATEGORY RANK CUT-OFFS
which shows the numbers for the next month.

For you that means, in September you can see in the advanced notification the first cut-off numbers for October, which are the first relevant numbers for DV-2012 winners.

tazmania thanks a lot... I am very happy you help me with all these question
my number is 159xxx in europe... i heard people saying that is this now out of 50 000 or like you said out of 27 000? do we compare europe or general applicant number?
because looking at general 50 000 number i should expect an interview in jan 2012 but looking at europe 27000 number you mentioned I should expect interview or letter in October? can you also explain this please? puf sorry sorry sorry :( thanks a lot for your help...as always

Last edited by a moderator:
The numbers you see right now in the bulleting are for DV-2011. Dont get confused with the numbers, just focus on your number in the European region. Knowbody knows how the numbers are moving forward, but if you have a look at the Visa bulleting for December 2009 http://travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_4587.html you see in the Advanced Notification that for January the cut-off number is 19,750. So with similar numbers in DV-2012 you should have your interview in January.

1. AFAIK, you can leave US right away after u arrived US. And there is no check when you leave US. So it won't be a problem.
2. There will be a I-551 stamp on your passport. It's equivalent to the green card, which you may not get so quickly after you just arrive US.
So just go back US within 5-6 month. It should be fine.

Correct me if wrong.
Thanks!

when leaving by plane, there is a check, however by road, no check at all so better go to canada & take a plane there

when leaving by plane, there is a check, however by road, no check at all so better go to canada & take a plane there

U are so funny. You need to do some research before you come up in here and write a buncha crap.

Your travels outside of the US is recorded every single time you get on and off the plane. You might not know it but USCIS has all the records.

Why the hell do you think u dont go through passport control while entering canada?? Passports are scanned by canadian immigration while entering Canada and US immigrations while entering the US.

You can leave the states for a few months but dont make it more than 6 months at a time so you don't risk breaking the continuous residency requirement for citizenship.

Anyone has an idea what would be the best time to send out documents to get the interview as late as possible, but still in the range of guaranteed visa issuing? My Case Number is 56**, but I think it more depends on the time of when you send out documents.

I have already prepared them and everything, but don't want to send them just yet - I'm thinking of waiting till mid-June or something, maybe that will take my interview to somewhere around January at least.

Thoughts?