• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2012 - AOS - step by step

Thanks!

I live in denver co, so denver field office.

Thanks!, mine is in Orlando, Fl. There are way more immigrants here so USCIS offices can sometimes take a little more time to have open slots for appointments. I think I am actually going to Denver sometime in June. It depends on for when I get my GC interview. I want to visit some friends there and check out CU-Boulder.

So I check the USCIS website again and I am at the acceptance stage. They sent the welcome letter but since I am relocating to California the letter might be waiting for me there. They mentioned on the website that it might include some instruction that I need to follow. Any idea what those could be?

I am so excited to be at the end of the journey :)

Congratulations!

So I check the USCIS website again and I am at the acceptance stage. They sent the welcome letter but since I am relocating to California the letter might be waiting for me there. They mentioned on the website that it might include some instruction that I need to follow. Any idea what those could be?

I am so excited to be at the end of the journey :)

Congratulations Koubiak!

Remember to update your address with USCIS filing the AR-11 form. You are required to do so until you become a USC sometime in 2017:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

Also, update your records with the SSA and DMV (I figure you can do it once you are in California) so they can have you and your partner as US Permanent Residents. The SSA will give you a new SS card without the "Work Authorization Required" notice.

Nothing else comes to mind. Congratulations on your new status!

All the best,

-SA

Congratulations Koubiak!

Remember to update your address with USCIS filing the AR-11 form. You are required to do so until you become a USC sometime in 2017:

Interesting I ask the officer at my local USCIS during my interview if I needed to file the AR-11 form after receiving the green card and she said no. She said that I should only file it when I was in contact with the USCIS and was expecting mail.

As for the SSN and the DL I will have to do that when I have my final address.

Cheers,
Koubiak

Interesting

Interesting I ask the officer at my local USCIS during my interview if I needed to file the AR-11 form after receiving the green card and she said no. She said that I should only file it when I was in contact with the USCIS and was expecting mail.

As for the SSN and the DL I will have to do that when I have my final address.

Cheers,
Koubiak

Interesting! Thanks for the tip. Every school advisor I've had has told me otherwise. Maybe things are different for LPRs then. It doesn't hurt to file it though. Good Luck on your new beginning!

-SA

Best way to mail documents

Hi guys,

What is the best way to mail documents? I am at the early stages. Sending my DSP-122 to KCC and DV fee to DOS tomorrow. Should I do USPS First Class, Priority, Express? Any recommendations?

Thanks!

End of a journey begining of a new one

Everyone, we received our GC today. I feel very good. Thanks for everyone for their precious help!

I still can't believe we won! I will try to post a long article on the web somewhere detailing the process we went through when I have a bit of time!

Enjoy :)

Everyone, we received our GC today. I feel very good. Thanks for everyone for their precious help!

I still can't believe we won! I will try to post a long article on the web somewhere detailing the process we went through when I have a bit of time!

Koubiak, enjoy your new status and a whole lot of freedom ;)
Based upon your status info, I want to know one thing: Did you get your Interview Letter before you went for Bio? Looks like it took just 21 days for you to get your GC after Bio.....great timing I guess. Anyway, enjoy the moment

Koubiak, enjoy your new status and a whole lot of freedom ;)
Based upon your status info, I want to know one thing: Did you get your Interview Letter before you went for Bio? Looks like it took just 21 days for you to get your GC after Bio.....great timing I guess. Anyway, enjoy the moment

We received the interview letter before the bio. Not sure when but two weeks before I would think.

Hi dulgerci
I m a j visa student and as far as I know you can not change your status into any immigrant visas and even H1B visa without getting a waiver. We got our waiver in april 2011 so that my j2 holder husband could get his H1B... It took about 4.5 months for us. First we got the fav rec letter and a month later the final approval from uscis arrived....
I assume you need a waiver? Which country r u from?

Hi dulgerci
I m a j visa student and as far as I know you can not change your status into any immigrant visas and even H1B visa without getting a waiver. We got our waiver in april 2011 so that my j2 holder husband could get his H1B... It took about 4.5 months for us. First we got the fav rec letter and a month later the final approval from uscis arrived....
I assume you need a waiver? Which country r u from?

hi, thank you for replying. I am from Turkey. Actually, I applied for waiver but I could not get no objection letter from my country since I owe to educational ministry. I have to pay at least 20% of my owe (which is $20,000 ) to get it.. I have a bio appointment May 7 and I don't know when my interview will be yet.. After DoS got the letter how long takes to get waiver from USCIS?

hi, thank you for replying. I am from Turkey. Actually, I applied for waiver but I could not get no objection letter from my country since I owe to educational ministry. I have to pay at least 20% of my owe (which is $20,000 ) to get it.. I have a bio appointment May 7 and I don't know when my interview will be yet.. After DoS got the letter how long takes to get waiver from USCIS?

I mfrom turkey too.. It took 5 weeks for me to get the final uscis approval after the dos fav rec letter....

Interview Unsuccesful

I had my interview today and the officer did not say anything was wrong. However at the end she didnt say yes or no, she said she will review my case and in 30-60 days USCIS will contact me. She didnt hand me a paper or anything, gave all my docs back. Do any of you know what this could possibly mean? I'm so dissapointed...

I also had an affidavit of support, no work history, F1 student legal. Suppossed to graduate next week may 15th.

Any help would be appreciated.

The Interview was in denver

Any news?

I had my interview today and the officer did not say anything was wrong. However at the end she didnt say yes or no, she said she will review my case and in 30-60 days USCIS will contact me. She didnt hand me a paper or anything, gave all my docs back. Do any of you know what this could possibly mean? I'm so dissapointed...

I also had an affidavit of support, no work history, F1 student legal. Suppossed to graduate next week may 15th.

Any help would be appreciated.

The Interview was in denver

That is so unusual. Have you heard back from them Digitalspree?, Good Luck! and congratulations on your graduation!

-SA

Interview done!

Dear AOS folks,

I'm happy to share further news ---- today I had my I485 AOS interview, and overall I can say it went great. My interview was at the Los Angeles USCIS field office in the morning. There was only one interviewing officer on duty (not sure if that is normal), so I had a wait just over an hour before being called. The interview was straight forward: take the oath, provide drivers license as ID, review of I-485 and confirm yes/no questions related to drugs/terrorism etc., they look at my masters diploma (not the transcript), and look at my I-20. They did not look at my passport, or original birth certificate, or the original DV letter stamped "PAID". I was not asked any questions about what I study, what school I go to, when do I graduate, etc. I had received an Advance Parole letter; they did not request this either.

I haven't mentioned here that I got married last year and my wife is an F-1 student also; we met at school some 4-5 years ago, and she did the AOS with me as a "derivative status" applicant. We were asked to show the marriage certificate. We had many other things to show regarding joint financial responsibility (bills, apartment lease, car insurance, bank accounts), but none of that was asked for! We also had a mini photo album of the wedding, and another of many photos over the years --- these were not requested either! The officer asked my wife what she does --- which school/program. The only document asked from my wife, was her ID!

Everything was over in about 10 mins! We were told to expect our "cards" in the mail within a few weeks! It was not much of a statement about the outcome/decision, and so my wife asked "Are our applications approved?" And we were told yes, they are approved!

Tonight, I received an SMS/email that my case status is updated on USCIS website, and when I check my I485 receipt number it says "Card/Document Production" (The status jumped directly to this from "Acceptance"). When I check my wife's I-485 receipt number it is still on "Acceptance" which I thought was a bit odd.

I have a couple of questions -- perhaps those with spouse who went through the process as derivative status applicant can help answer? :)

1. When the primary applicants status was updated to Card/Document Production, did the status for the derivative (spouse) applicant also update? Did it change at the same time, or later? I'm just wondering if I should be concerned about my wife's application.

2. The interviewing officer did not look at our passports, and did not take our I-94s. I've read that for other F-1 people the officer took the I-94 from your passport at the interview. Am I going to need to hand the I-94 in somewhere?

3. I also have an Advance Parole document, and the interview letter requests to bring it with me. I thought they might take this letter, but they didn't.

While things seem to have completed smoothly, I will be more relaxed when we both have our green cards! I will keep posting here with my news!

Cheers everyone, and best wishes to you on this journey.
ETL

Rejection and re-submit

Hi all

Can you please help me in this issue
I got my application I-485 rejected for filling early my case Number current in june but i send the application in 4/25/2012 and all the package return to me with along tiny stamp in all the pages with a TRN number (officer Number) and green sheet i suppose to put it in the top of package that i will resubmit my questions are:
1- Do i have to creat new package or i have to resend the same papers
2-Do i have to send the rejection letter I-797 with the package and put the Green sheet on the top or just send new packge as i am semding the first time

pleae advise

Thanks