• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2012 - AOS - step by step

Hi everyone,

My case number will probably become current in May 2012. I will then be able to file the I-485 long with the required documents. This is a timeline until next year with my prospective steps.

April 15, 2012 - My case number becomes available (Last year´s DV Bulletin shows June as the date I will get called).
April 16, 2012 - Package sent Feddex overnight to the Chicago Lockbox.
April 17, 2012 - Package arrives Chicago Lockbox.

**Until Sept 30 there are roughly 5 months and a half. My closest USCIS office has a 4 month processing time.

When could I expect my green card to be approved and sent to me?
What phases does ti go through (background chekc for example?
Does USCIS prioritize in any way AOS applications from the DV? Why do they want to know if we are going to do AOS then?

Thanks

?
? - Visa starts to get processed.
? - Background check is performed.
? - Visa is approved.

I am working on H1B in Houston. it expires august 2013.
I was F1 before. My passport has f1 visa stamp but doesnt have a h1b stamp because I didnt travel after I started working with H1.
Will there be a problem in AOS?

My case number 2012EU00022XXX

I am working on H1B in Houston. it expires august 2013.
I was F1 before. My passport has f1 visa stamp but doesnt have a h1b stamp because I didnt travel after I started working with H1.
Will there be a problem in AOS?

My case number 2012EU00022XXX

Hi dwonder,

Congrat!!!

I don't think you have any problem with your AOS as long as you KEEP YOUR STATUS GOOD! Your case will be current either in May or June 2012, or maybe in April,i think. Keep your eyes on VB released by Department of State every month!

Good luck on your journey!

Thanks kambo!
I had sent an email to KCC and they told me to contact CIS to know if i'm eligible for AOS. What's the best way to contact them? I called the 1-800 number and after a long list of menu and sub=menu, I managed to talk to somebody, but she appeared to read from a template and told me to go to uscis website, which is a bit unclear.
Should I arrange an appointment with Houston local office (with infopass)?

Email from KCC:
If you are in the United States, you may be eligible to apply to the Citizenship and Immigration Services (CIS) for adjustment of status. The option to adjust status may no longer be available to all applicants. To determine whether you are eligible to adjust your status you MUST contact the CIS. Once the CIS confirms your eligibility to adjust status they will provide you with the additional information that you need. When contacting your local CIS office they may inform you that you will not be eligible to file your adjustment until your case number is current and available for processing. Please refer to the visa bulletin at travel.state.gov to view the current case numbers being processed. This bulletin is updated after the 15th day of each month.

Hi dwonder,

What that person said is correct. Most of them whould say the same "go website and read." Based on my experience 2011, when you send your required documents per KCC requests such as 2 passport-size photos, a bar code and DSP-122, DS-230 part I and part II and your AOS intentional letter. Some said DS-230 forms part I and II are optional, but for me I sent all of them. After two to three weeks, KCC will send you back the Acknowledgement of your AOS intention. Keep calling KCC to follow up your sent docs. When you call KCC make sure you have your Case Number, Date of Birth in hands. This info you'll be asked immiately. KCC doesn't want to waste any seconds when talking to customers.

I don't discourage you for not making an InfoPass which someone usually says "it's useless," especially when you live a bit far from a CIS or a USCIS office. If your status is good, meaning you never violate any immigrant law, you are good as gold. Some like to hire an immigrant lawyer that just waste of money too. Some lawyers don't know much about DV process. They just blablabla to take your money. The best way is to read each AOS DV forums from page one on, you will learn alot from them.

Just send those doc to KCC and wait for Acknowledgement of your AOS from KCC, then pay the DV fee "make a money order or cashier's check payble to Department of State in Missouri" which you normally will receive a form and address in Missouri from KCCsend back to you with the Acknowledgement AOS intention, or you can do a bit of your own research and find the right address by your self. DON'T FORGET WHEN YOU SEND DV FEE TO DEPARTMENT OF STATE, SEND ALONG WITH A SELF-SEALED ENVELOP, THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. The DV fee is $440 for each person, DV 2011. Now I think this fee is still appicable. My advice now is to collect all related docs and have your physical done at least two to three months ahead. Me, I waited and had mine done quite late one month before my CN became current. That was a bit hectic, especially civil surgeon app. Sometimes, they are not avaible at our convernient time. That's sucked! Call to find out more than one civil surgeons because they charge you differently. Oh, TB skin test and Immigration vaccinations are very important. The earlier you get them done the better. I suggest you go to local health center. It cost me only 15 bucks to have Immigration vaccination done.

When your CN become current, which normally you will see it on VB 50 days of actual current month, start to send your I485 (with fees of $1,080, I think[chekc or money order make payable to Department of Homeland Security or USCIS) with all related docs to Chicago lock box. You will learn those docs by reading each thread on AOS forum, because each individual case is unique. This is just a frame of DV process. I hope this might help you a bit. When I was aware of that I WAS ONE OF SELECTEES DV 2011 I HAD THE SAME EXCITEMENT AND FEELING NOT KNOWING WHAT TO DO AS YOU DO NOW. AS LONG AS YOU KEEP YOUR STATUS GOOD YOU ARE GOOD TO GO FOR AOS AND GET A GC.

Ok, Best of Luck to you!
Thanks kambo!
I had sent an email to KCC and they told me to contact CIS to know if i'm eligible for AOS. What's the best way to contact them? I called the 1-800 number and after a long list of menu and sub=menu, I managed to talk to somebody, but she appeared to read from a template and told me to go to uscis website, which is a bit unclear.
Should I arrange an appointment with Houston local office (with infopass)?

Email from KCC:

When I called KCC after being selected, I asked about when to send the $440 fee - they said to wait after October 1st, when the fiscal year begins, or it may not be accepted. I know sending the AOS application before that date is definitely a no-no, but what about the State Department fee?

Hello noozpaz,

When I called KCC after being selected, I asked about when to send the $440 fee - they said to wait after October 1st, when the fiscal year begins, or it may not be accepted. I know sending the AOS application before that date is definitely a no-no, but what about the State Department fee?

I sent my $440 fee to the DOS in St Louis,MO and it was accepted. All that they are going to send back to you is the same form that you sent them with a "Paid" stamp and a date on it. Don't forget to write your case number on the cashier's check and to include a pre-paid envelope going back to you with the DOS form. I would do it as soon as possible, but that is just my opinion. Good Luck.

Before you head for the nearest mall to purchase your very own pair of ugg Australia boots , stop

for a moment and ask yourself, I seen these boots before??If you are college-aged or younger, you

have seen these boots everywhere including on the Internet, in store catalogues, and in stores

themselves.

Hi folks, my 1st post here.
I have dual citizenship: Romanian and Canadian. I am in the US with a TN visa as a Canadian citizen. Does anybody know of any issues of applying for AOS?
My Romanian passport is expired. Would it be necessary to renew it or I can just use my Canadian passport (that specifies my country of birth)?

My case #: 2012EU00013xxx

Thanks

@dwonder:
I am in Houston, TX too. A called KCC and I was told "I do not have to send them the forms", but to pay the $440 / person DV fee. They suggested to call USCIS National Cust Service Center, which I did. Not much info though, but told to set up an appointment with local USCIS office. I did that too. I think that was the first time that person ever heard about DV lottery. It was just a waste of time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi folks,

I hope everyone will get though. My wife has been selected but guess what, with super high CN (AS70xxx). We are in the US now, I am on F1 and she is on F2. I guess her case number will become current on Sep 2012. So we will have probably 75 days at most to complete everything. I was checking AOS2011 and I realized that nobody who is cleared in sep. sent his/her application to USCIS. I am not sure why! but my guess is they are not aware that they can send application 75 days prior to the real current day (which is not very probable). I have a friend who suggest me to leave the US and complete my application from Canada (man, it is an expensive approach). I need your guidance folks.

Her case number is way to high so I am really confused. As I compare CNs of 2011 with 2012 (asia), I feel more and more that either there is no chance for us or there is a different numbering system this year. Please if you are experienced guide me anything you think can help us get through.

Thanks

AOS from L1 visa: Travel

Hello,
my wife and I are applying for AOS soon, as she is a DV2012 selectee, we have a very low case number (2xx). We are planning a trip to Mexico in January, but I read around that this could cause serious problems without the Advance Parole. We don't know the exact dates of travel yet, so we can't file the request together with the i485, and doing it later is expensive, too.
Though, it seems that L1/H1 holders don't actually need the Advance Parole.
Anybody knows anything about this?
Thanks a lot!

Hi folks,

I hope everyone will get though. My wife has been selected but guess what, with super high CN (AS70xxx). We are in the US now, I am on F1 and she is on F2. I guess her case number will become current on Sep 2012. So we will have probably 75 days at most to complete everything. I was checking AOS2011 and I realized that nobody who is cleared in sep. sent his/her application to USCIS. I am not sure why! but my guess is they are not aware that they can send application 75 days prior to the real current day (which is not very probable). I have a friend who suggest me to leave the US and complete my application from Canada (man, it is an expensive approach). I need your guidance folks.

Her case number is way to high so I am really confused. As I compare CNs of 2011 with 2012 (asia), I feel more and more that either there is no chance for us or there is a different numbering system this year. Please if you are experienced guide me anything you think can help us get through.

Thanks

it is better for you to proceed through CP(consular processing), it is faster and safetier than AOS, specially for high case number like yours. USCIS is carrying the case of those going tru AOS, they are slow and you may end up with no visa because every winner must obtain their visa before october the first. CP in Canada is expensive for the trip but you ll be safe.........

Hi folks, my 1st post here.
I have dual citizenship: Romanian and Canadian. I am in the US with a TN visa as a Canadian citizen. Does anybody know of any issues of applying for AOS?
My Romanian passport is expired. Would it be necessary to renew it or I can just use my Canadian passport (that specifies my country of birth)?

My case #: 2012EU00013xxx

Thanks

@dwonder:
I am in Houston, TX too. A called KCC and I was told "I do not have to send them the forms", but to pay the $440 / person DV fee. They suggested to call USCIS National Cust Service Center, which I did. Not much info though, but told to set up an appointment with local USCIS office. I did that too. I think that was the first time that person ever heard about DV lottery. It was just a waste of time.

yes you can ,your country of birth which is roumania matters..............

Hello rgm_rc,

Well, as long as your passports list your country of birth as Romania you should be fine in my opinion. Just remember that for the I-485 packet you still need your original birth certificate with a certified translation.

I really don't know how your TN status works, I assume you have a deadline in which you have to leave the country, as long as you file your I-485 package before that deadline you would be considered to be in status. For the looks of it your visa number should be current sometime in November so you better get ready to file. Good Luck!.

Thank you dadadada72 and Strictly_Analog for your answers.

I do have my original birth certificate and I'm getting it translated.
The TN visa is valid for 3 years. I filed for extension in June and I am waiting for the approval - it should show up any day now. Once I get the approval I'll send the docs to KCC and DV payment.

Hi,

I realized that I was selected two days ago. I am currently overwhelmed. I have read a lot in the last 48 hours on this website and the different government website. I think that I have a rough understanding of the process but since some information are contradictory I have still some question about the process.

First some background information.
I have a Ph.D. in computer science and I am currently a post-doc since Feb 2010 in North Carolina.
I am under a J-1 VISA until March 2012 and I already negotiate for an extension of my DS-2019 for august 2012.
I am married and my wife is under a J-2. She also has a work permit.
I have a son, who was born here. He already has a US passport.
My wife and I are both French.
My CN number is EU00016XXX which should come up december / january.
I am planning to an AOS for both of us. I already talk to my sponsor and they say that they could not help much with the process.

Now about my questions:

1- What is the direct next step? I think that I need to contact the USCIS to determine if I am eligible for AOS. How is this done? Do I need to call or should I take an appointment? What can of document should I expect a letter saying that I am eligible or they will just say that I am.

2- About the KCC, as far as I can see there is no need for me to contact them. Neither for me nor for my wife as we are already here. Is this correct?

3- It seems that the only action I should do is mailing the check for “Diversity Visa Lottery fee “ to St. Louis along side the form stating that we are both adjusting. The fee is twice $440, right? When should it be sent? ASAP or should I wait for my number to be current or when it shows up on the bulletin board?

3- Do we still get a 2nd NL or do we need to keep checking the bulletin?

4- How do we get the interview? Is it automated or shall I do something. If action are needed what are they? I could not find comment about this on the website yet.

5- When shall I prepare the I-485? Where should I send it? Or should I just bring it to the interview?

6- At which point, do I loose the right to travel? When Filling the I-485 or when I mail the check to st. louis? I will be traveling in October to europe. I might cancel my Xmas trip if it needs to.

7- Is anyone familiar with the advance parole to travel? How long does it take to be processed?

8- Since my son is born here. I guess I do not need to do anything for him, right?

9- How long is the medical valid, 3 month?

10- How do you get access to your criminal record here in the US? I already found how to do it for the Germany (previous residence) and for France.

I think this is it for the moment.

Congratz to all of you and thank you for the help and hosting this great forum
Koubiak

Hi,

I realized that I was selected two days ago. I am currently overwhelmed. I have read a lot in the last 48 hours on this website and the different government website. I think that I have a rough understanding of the process but since some information are contradictory I have still some question about the process.

I have a Ph.D. in computer science and I am currently a post-doc since Feb 2010 in North Carolina.
I am under a J-1 VISA until March 2012 and I already negotiate for an extension of my DS-2019 for august 2012.
I am planning to an AOS for both of us. I already talk to my sponsor and they say that they could not help much with the process.

Now about my questions:

1- What is the direct next step? I think that I need to contact the USCIS to determine if I am eligible for AOS. How is this done? Do I need to call or should I take an appointment? What can of document should I expect a letter saying that I am eligible or they will just say that I am.

2- About the KCC, as far as I can see there is no need for me to contact them. Neither for me nor for my wife as we are already here. Is this correct?

3- It seems that the only action I should do is mailing the check for “Diversity Visa Lottery fee “ to St. Louis along side the form stating that we are both adjusting. The fee is twice $440, right? When should it be sent? ASAP or should I wait for my number to be current or when it shows up on the bulletin board?

4- How do we get the interview? Is it automated or shall I do something. If action are needed what are they? I could not find comment about this on the website yet.

5- When shall I prepare the I-485? Where should I send it? Or should I just bring it to the interview?

6- At which point, do I loose the right to travel? When Filling the I-485 or when I mail the check to st. louis? I will be traveling in October to europe. I might cancel my Xmas trip if it needs to.

7- Is anyone familiar with the advance parole to travel? How long does it take to be processed?

8- Since my son is born here. I guess I do not need to do anything for him, right?

10- How do you get access to your criminal record here in the US? I already found how to do it for the Germany (previous residence) and for France.

Koubiak

Hi, I'm gonna try to answer your questions

1. First you need to fill out form DSP122 and DS230 for you and your wife and sent it to KCC along with passport style pictures of both of you.

2. Yes you do, sent the forms I mentioned above to them for they need to know your intention to proceed with the lottery and adjust status in the U.S so they can set aside a visa for you.

3. Sent the fee to KCC for you and your wife, 440 each. KCC is in Kentucky, I don't know where you are getting St. Louis from. You should send it ASAP.

4. When you are doing AOS, the USCIS Field Office nearest to your residence will be scheduling your interview date.

5. You must prepare your I-485 as soon as possible, and submit it to USCIS once you see your number available on the visa bulletin.

6. To travel you must apply for advance parole with the USCIS

7. Check to USCIS website for info regarding advance parole

8. Just mention your son on the forms you fill where applicable.

9. Medicals are valid for a year.

10. You have to go to the state police, but if you have not committed or been convicted of a crime in the U.S. it is not necessary to get police clearance for AOS, when you sent your I-485 package, USCIS will sent notice for you to get your fingerprint taken, they then take the prints to the FBI to have it process, if it find no matches you are cleared.

Best of luck.

Hi,

Now about my questions:

Koubiak

Hello Koubiak,

Congratulations!. Everything EternalHope has said is essentially correct. Send KCC the DSP-122 form right away and where it says "U.S. Consular office where you want to be processed" write "BCIS". That way they'll know that you want to stay here to be processed. The only thing different is point number (3). Send this form:

travel. state. gov/ visa/ visa_4763. html

To the Department of State's office in St. Louis Missouri with a cashier's check for $440*2=$880 and a pre-paid envelope going back to you. Make sure to write your case # on the check. They will send it back to you with a "Paid" Stamp. Keep this since you'll need it for your I-485 package when you file AOS.

(5) As far as the I-485 package, USCIS is very clear on where to file it as well as what documents you have to include on it. Go ahead and read the instructions USCIS has laid out for all of us.

(6) As soon as you file the I-485 you should not travel outside the country. You can (if you want) apply for advance parole ALONG with your I-485, It will cost you $360 (times two if you include your wife) but in most of the DV cases that I've seen on these forums the time between filing the I-485 and having your case approved is 3-4 months so it might not be worth it to apply for AP. It all depends on the processing time of your local field office though. I don't know about you, but I don't mind not travelling outside the U.S. for four months or so as long as I get my Green Card ;)

(8) Just have your son's birth certificate and copies of his passport handy for your I-485 and your interview. They might not ask you for them at the interview, but it is better to have to many documents than to little.

Remember to get your civil documents (police records, birth certificate, marriage certificate and any court orders or military service) translated into English by a certified translator. You will need ALL of them for your I-485 as well as your interview.

Bonne Chance!

Hi All! How important is it to send DSP-122 ASAP? I just sent mine today and I am concerned that I didn't do it ealirer. My number is 5***, so hopefully can file in October. I already paid the $440 and got a reciept. Also, do you need to include a stamped return envelope with the DSP-122? Thanks you so very much. This is all so confusing.