• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2012 - AOS - step by step

tjf

Hi Everybody,

I was selected for further processing in DV 2012 with case number (2012EU000141xx).
Now, I was reading through some of the previous years threads about the application process and I'm a little confused as it seems to be different this year.

I'm currently living in the US on an E2 Visa and thus should be eligible for AOS.

In the previous years AOS threads, people seem to have sent the DS-122 to KCC, including an application fee.
This year, in the online guide it says:

"Diversity visa selectee already in the United States >> When the principal (primary) diversity visa selectee is already physically present in the U.S., you may be eligible to apply to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services for adjustment of status. Click Adjust Status to learn more."

"If USCIS confirms your eligibility to adjust status you should print this message and take it to your local USCIS office. USCIS will provide instructions on how to proceed. It will not be necessary for you to contact the Kentucky Consular Center (KCC) for any further information or instructions if you are eligible and apply to adjust status in the U.S."

Does that mean I should NOT send DS-122 to KCC and instead simply wait until my case number becomes current (approx. Jan) and at the time file I-485 with USCIS?

Do I understand that correctly? Could someone please provide a step by step guide of what actions to take? I'd just like to make sure I'm not missing something here.

Thanks!

Tom

Hi,
I asked myself the same question.
People in this thread: "DV 2012 Adjustment of Status Procedure F-1 Visa Holder"
seem to assume that the rules from last year still apply, but you are right, the instructions on the dvselectee web site are a bit confusing. Following the suggested links doesn't help... everything seem to remind to the visa bullettin which obviously it's not helpful (yet) given that dv-2012 is not mentioned in it.
I'd like to know more myself. I'm going to try to call KCC first, and confirm that they don't need me to send the DS-122.
If anybody has any details on how to proceed, please post them!
thanks.

2012EU000002**
24 Oct 2010: Entered DV-2012
May 2011: Not selected
15 July 2011: Selected for further processing
18 July 2011: Form DSP-122, 2 passport photos and selection letter to KCC

Last edited by a moderator:
hello
mu case number is 2012EU30xxx. i m confused too. and i m a student here in the states. what do we do now what is the very first step to do?thanks for the helps! and congrats to you all.

my case number is 2012AF0004XXXX

I am a student here in the US and like everyone else... I found the instructions on the website just plain confusing...

I know I have to send in the DSP-122 because I called the KCC and thats what they asked of me. The DS-230 is not nessecary because I am already in the US.

I don't know if I have to apply for AOS (I-485) to the USCIS right now or if I have to wait... I called them but they werent very helpful... so I scheduled an appointment at the local Chicago field office.

The visa bulletinf makes no sense to me btw and i don't even know how it applies to me!

my case number is 2012AF0004XXXX

I am a student here in the US and like everyone else... I found the instructions on the website just plain confusing...

I know I have to send in the DSP-122 because I called the KCC and thats what they asked of me. The DS-230 is not nessecary because I am already in the US.

I don't know if I have to apply for AOS (I-485) to the USCIS right now or if I have to wait... I called them but they werent very helpful... so I scheduled an appointment at the local Chicago field office.

The visa bulletinf makes no sense to me btw and i don't even know how it applies to me!

Hello nsesen,
I won the lottery in 2010 and I also applied for AOS. I know, first hand, how frustrating it is not to know what to do and where to go for answers. My advice is to read AOS 2009 and AOS 2010 Threads and you will be able to do everything on your own and successfully. So far there´s no big deal. Just send DSP-122 back to KCC and they will mail you back a confirmation that they will no longer have anything to do with you but your local USCIS. Pay your DOS fees, do your medicals, collect all your documents and translations. Then, wait for your turn to file your package in Chicago Lockbox. Do not attempt to file right now because the Fiscal year 2012 starts October 1st. So you will be denied. You can only file once your case number is current according to the Visa bulletin.
I hope it helps you and gets you started with more confidence. And again, send yor DSP-122 and take your time to read the already mentioned threads. Youl´ll see how easy this is... Good Luck!!

Hi Everybody,

I was selected for further processing in DV 2012 with case number (2012EU000141xx).
Now, I was reading through some of the previous years threads about the application process and I'm a little confused as it seems to be different this year.

I'm currently living in the US on an E2 Visa and thus should be eligible for AOS.

In the previous years AOS threads, people seem to have sent the DS-122 to KCC, including an application fee.
This year, in the online guide it says:

"Diversity visa selectee already in the United States >> When the principal (primary) diversity visa selectee is already physically present in the U.S., you may be eligible to apply to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services for adjustment of status. Click Adjust Status to learn more."

"If USCIS confirms your eligibility to adjust status you should print this message and take it to your local USCIS office. USCIS will provide instructions on how to proceed. It will not be necessary for you to contact the Kentucky Consular Center (KCC) for any further information or instructions if you are eligible and apply to adjust status in the U.S."

Does that mean I should NOT send DS-122 to KCC and instead simply wait until my case number becomes current (approx. Jan) and at the time file I-485 with USCIS?

Do I understand that correctly? Could someone please provide a step by step guide of what actions to take? I'd just like to make sure I'm not missing something here.

Thanks!

Tom

Hey Tom,
You have to send the DS-122 to KCC as soon as possible because it´s the only way that you will let KCC know of your intention of doing AOS. Otherwise they will assume you are doing Consular Processing. In fact, if you don´t send the DS-122 before filing your final package to Chicago lockbox your application will be very delayed. KCC needs that information to later send your case file to your local USCIS office so they can send you an interview appointment.

hello
so regardless of our case numbers, we should send the DSP 122 ASAP to KCC? and then when the case number is available or current (in one month or in 7 months or whatever..) then we can file for I 485 and etc... is that right? did I undrstand this correct?
thanks so much!

hi vzla, thank you very much for your reply. I called KCC and they told me the same thing.
our case number is pretty low so hopefully we'll be able to apply soon in october.
good luck to everbody!

2012EU000002**
24 Oct 2010: Entered DV-2012
May 2011: Not selected
15 July 2011: Selected for further processing
18 July 2011: Form DSP-122, 2 passport photos and selection letter to KCC

hello
so regardless of our case numbers, we should send the DSP 122 ASAP to KCC? and then when the case number is available or current (in one month or in 7 months or whatever..) then we can file for I 485 and etc... is that right? did I undrstand this correct?
thanks so much!

Yes that is correct! Include 2 passport photos and the selection notification with the barcode.

i have an immigration lawyer (that helped us for my hubbys H1B this eason) and his office told us that we just need to wait till when the visa bulletin says my case number is available or current and at that time to file for aos I 485. they told me that i dont file dps 122.... since i m already in the states. can someone please confirm this as true or false please. i m soooo confused...

i have an immigration lawyer (that helped us for my hubbys H1B this eason) and his office told us that we just need to wait till when the visa bulletin says my case number is available or current and at that time to file for aos I 485. they told me that i dont file dps 122.... since i m already in the states. can someone please confirm this as true or false please. i m soooo confused...

http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?323589-2012-dv-lottery-winners-from-nigeria-report-here

Hello nsesen,
I won the lottery in 2010 and I also applied for AOS. I know, first hand, how frustrating it is not to know what to do and where to go for answers. My advice is to read AOS 2009 and AOS 2010 Threads and you will be able to do everything on your own and successfully. So far there´s no big deal. Just send DSP-122 back to KCC and they will mail you back a confirmation that they will no longer have anything to do with you but your local USCIS. Pay your DOS fees, do your medicals, collect all your documents and translations. Then, wait for your turn to file your package in Chicago Lockbox. Do not attempt to file right now because the Fiscal year 2012 starts October 1st. So you will be denied. You can only file once your case number is current according to the Visa bulletin.
I hope it helps you and gets you started with more confidence. And again, send yor DSP-122 and take your time to read the already mentioned threads. Youl´ll see how easy this is... Good Luck!!

This was the reply I was looking for!

Thank you so very much for that. I was overwhelmed with the whole process but you have certainly put me at ease! again thanks!

I m confused whether I go with AOS or CP. My case number is 2012AS00028xxx. Aksed KCC today but was not helpful. Suggestions welcomed!!!

prince23

I m confused whether I go with AOS or CP. My case number is 2012AS00028xxx. Aksed KCC today but was not helpful. Suggestions welcomed!!!

prince23

Hi prince,
are you in the US under some form of non-immigrant visa? if so, you can apply for the adjustment of status. It took me a while to figure out what to do, but KCC confirmed on the phone that I have to send the DS-122 for the main applicant and two identical photos. By the way, it's hard to tell you what do... if you can afford to stay out of the country while you go for the CP, and you are willing to do all the paperwork for it (police records translated, for example), then the choice is really up to you! you seem to have a reasonably low case number, so you'll probably be able to apply in october for AOS, which is good!
good luck!

Hello All,

I was also selected in the July 15 announcement. I am currently in the U.S. as a F-1 Student. I have a very low case number so I plan to stay in the country and do AOS.

Just to confirm: Do I only need to file to KCC the DSP-122 plus the 2 identical passport photos plus the selection letter?. Is the DS-230 Necessary?. Also, do I file the $305 for the department of state after receiving confirmation from KCC or can I just go ahead and pay the Department of State right now?.

Any information is greatly appreciated. Thank you beforehand.

2012SA000006XX
8/2004: F-1
7/15/2011: DV-2012 Selectee

Hello everyone,

I am an Australian, and currently living/studying in the US as an F-1 Student. I have been selected for further processing in 2012 DV Lottery, and plan to stay here for AOS. The information on these forums is extremely helpful, but can be a little confusing if old information is posted and procedures have changed. I just wanted to write and contribute what I have learned so far.

I had a free consultation with an immigration lawyer and they said it is not necessary to file the DSP-122 form, or send any other information to KCC. Sending the DV Fee ($440 for each person adjusting status with you in the US) to the Department of State (DOS) is the essential step. Sending the DV Fee informs the DOS that you are doing AOS, and lets them know how many people are adjusting status with you (that is, the number of visas to "reserve" against your case number, which should be the number of people who will be included in your I-485 application). Those doing Consular Processing never pay the $440 DV Fee, which is also known as the "Adjustment of Status Fee".

I called KCC today and they confirmed that sending DSP-122 is optional for those who are adjusting status in the USA. As sending DSP-122 is optional, so too is sending the photos. Those doing AOS must send photos with their I-485, which happens much later when your case number becomes current. Sending photos now is pointless because, mostly likely, they will be insufficiently recent by the time your interview at a local USCIS office is scheduled.

I plan to send DSP-122, and copy of the DV selection letter, but not the photos to KCC.

I will then send the DV fee to the DOS.

2012OC000008XX

Hi gkds52,
I also contacted a lawyer who said there is no need to file DSP-122. I called KCC and they told me it is optional. I don't think anyone here is saying you must file DSP-122, they are suggesting it, but not also telling you it is optional.
See my reply to the thread immediately above.

Hello All,

I was also selected in the July 15 announcement. I am currently in the U.S. as a F-1 Student. I have a very low case number so I plan to stay in the country and do AOS.

Just to confirm: Do I only need to file to KCC the DSP-122 plus the 2 identical passport photos plus the selection letter?. Is the DS-230 Necessary?. Also, do I file the $305 for the department of state after receiving confirmation from KCC or can I just go ahead and pay the Department of State right now?.

Any information is greatly appreciated. Thank you beforehand.

2012SA000006XX

Hi Strictly_Analog,
As other people have said, DS-230 is only for those doing Consular Processing (CP) outside the US. If you are doing Adjustment Of Status (AOS) you can file DSP-122 with KCC, but doing so is optional. I'm not sure what $305 Department of State fee you are talking about. The current "Diversity Visa fee" (also known as "Adjustment of Status fee") is only paid by those wishing to do AOS, and the current amount is $440.

Thank you EightTimeLucky,

I referred to this website:

travel. state. gov /visa/temp/types/types_1263.html#perm

Under "Immigrant Visa Application Processing Fees (non-refundable, per person)" there is a $305 charge for DV Selectees. I assume those are only payable AFTER the I-485 is filed and I am actually paying for an actual IV number.

I understand now that the only fee payable right now is the $440 that the department of state uses to run the DV program. Thank you again. It is nice to know that there are quite a few F-1's like me in this board. Best of luck to all of us!.

2012SA000006XX