• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV-2011 Winners from Kenya Report Here!

Keep on trusting in the lord

C.No: 2011AF00069xxx
1st NL Dated:16th April 2010
NL received:15 May 2010
Forms Sent: 6 June 2010
Police Cert: Not yet
Medicals : Not yet
Interview: Not yet
Current: Unknown

Maimazoo/IWMI/Olyn thanks for your encouragement and I hope to be in the last lot August/September. Lets wish all the best those going for their interview this week like njugunut and hope they will keep us posted on the process they went through at the Embassy verbatim.Amen

Last edited by a moderator:
Njugunuts,kamauz
By God's grace,May you be recepients and bearers of good news to this forum on thursday.God hear us. Amen.

Quick update,took my forms today,interview was rescheduled to next week. Will post full details after the interview.

njugunut, kamauz my prayers are with you.
wanjeri, you have finally updated the signature, keep intouch and be optimistic, the date will finally be here.
mamaizoo, anything new?, lam not tired of the waiting, but sometimes I miss what to say,
but God is the there to do for us what we are unable.

njugunut, kamauz my prayers are with you.

mamaizoo, anything new?, lam not tired of the waiting, but sometimes I miss what to say,
but God is the there to do for us what we are unable.

Olyn,
the only new thing for me is that i am working on our passports. Picked the forms and filled them, want to deliver the first forms monday.
For the rest of us lets continue with our prayers for Kamauz and Njugunuts. God bless.

Hi Guys seems the events are still on active gear.@ Kamauz why the reschedule of the interview??anyway we are in faith you will get your visa next week. I just finalized with my medicals this afternoon at IOM Ngong Road.So far so good am just waiting for two things now.the police abstract and the Host letter.For my case i only spent 11,200 for medicals since i had already done some immunizations at Agakhan Hosp earlier.the chicken pox quiz also must have redeemed my some few thousands i guess.

CN::2011AF00025***
NL Dated: APRIL 2010
1stNL Received: May 2010
Jun 2010 Sent Forms by DHL
DHL Confirm delivery : Jun 2010
Kcc confirms receipt: Oct 2010
Interview Confirmed: Feb 2011
Police cert:applied : 20 Jan 2011
2nd NL: Arrived 6, Jan 2011
Medicals: Completed 20Jan 2011

Hi Guys seems the events are still on active gear.@ Kamauz why the reschedule of the interview??anyway we are in faith you will get your visa next week. I just finalized with my medicals this afternoon at IOM Ngong Road.So far so good am just waiting for two things now.the police abstract and the Host letter.For my case i only spent 11,200 for medicals since i had already done some immunizations at Agakhan Hosp earlier.the chicken pox quiz also must have redeemed my some few thousands i guess.

CN::2011AF00025***
NL Dated: APRIL 2010
1stNL Received: May 2010
Jun 2010 Sent Forms by DHL
DHL Confirm delivery : Jun 2010
Kcc confirms receipt: Oct 2010
Interview Confirmed: Feb 2011
Police cert:applied : 20 Jan 2011
2nd NL: Arrived 6, Jan 2011
Medicals: Completed 20Jan 2011

Menjo,

Which immunizations did you get at Agha Khan and how much did they cost you? What was your response to the Doc on chicken pox question? Let us know please, may be it will also save us some bucks. Nice week to all.

Hi guys. Good luck to all those going for interviews soon. Just update the forum members my Buddy landed in Texas yesterday. All went smooth. Normallt it take close to a month to get his green card then a few more days to get a social before we can start laying out work strategies.,,

Hi all!

I'm happy to say that all went very smoothly and i'm scheduled to pick up my visa today afternoon. Thank God.

My 2nd NL read that I was to be interviewed on Thursday. However,having read on the consular website that the procedure for immigrant visa's is that now you drop off the documents one day before the interview,I sent the embassy an email enquiring what to do since they don't work on Fridays. They asked me to show up on Wednesday at 12 and drop off my documents,then show up on Thursday to meet with the consular officer. Got to the embassy on Wednesday at 12pm,got a quick scan at the gate and the proceeded to enter the compound. When I got to the internal security checkpoint, they sent me back to the gate to get my medical report opened (supposedly they are to open it there and the lady at the gate was too busy using her cellphone to remember to open it). Got it opened and went back to the 2nd security checkpoint,got a scan and went through. Those with cellphones had to turn them off and leave them here. Got to the main hall where I was directed to seat next to the immigrant visa window. I was the first one there. The security guy in the hall gave the DV guys some form to sign that said we understood that the payment was non-refundable, had qualified by education/work and a visa was not guaranteed. Timing in that place is terrible, was finally called to the window at 1. I was asked to hand in my police certificate,KCSE certificate,passport,birth certificate,medicals and copies of all the above. I also handed in one passport photo. The lady then asked me if I had any children or spouse then gave me some invoice to pay. I paid 819 dollars at an exchange rate of about Ksh 80 to a dollar which came to Ksh. 65,520 total. Went back to the place for document submission,showed them the receipt got fingerprinted and was told to come back the next day to interview. As soon as I left the window,heard my name on the intercom being told to return to the window. When I got there, I was told my interview had been moved to the following week coz of an embassy function.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all!

I'm happy to say that all went very smoothly and i'm scheduled to pick up my visa today afternoon. Thank God.

I thank God for the smooth sailing you've had, even the next steps He shall be your guide. Let us know the exact interview experience. Ama they didn't ask you any questions at all?

Hi guys. Good luck to all those going for interviews soon. Just update the forum members my Buddy landed in Texas yesterday. All went smooth. Normallt it take close to a month to get his green card then a few more days to get a social before we can start laying out work strategies.,,

I thank God for his safe travel and wish him God's very best as he sojourns that land. And may God bless you Mike for all that you have done for him, you will get your reward in due time. All the best.

The actual interview

Sorry about the break, had to dash off to work.

Went back to the embassy this week. Was dropped off at 6.50am for a 7am appointment. It was a cold, rainy morning and so was frozen stiff! Thankfully i had carried a coat. Queued outside the main entrance according to gender where the documents I had carried were checked to confirm my appointment, visa letter and passport. Got a quick body scan here.

Entered the embassy compound and joined a long queue. Some security guy came round directing us to turn off our cellphones and asked the queue to be separated into immigrant (IV/DV) and non-immigrant (NIV). Joined the IV queue and waited to be taken through more security and to deposit my cellphone. This was the longest wait ever since they seemed to be letting the NIV guys through very quickly and the IV queue was not moving. Finally, at 8.41, I got through to the security place, left my phone and picked a tag, and headed into the embassy hall.

Once I was in the hall, there was NO-ONE at the IV window so I went there and presented my passport. The Kenyan lady there retrieved my file then asked me to take a seat near the consular officer window. When I went to seat there, found about another 15 migrants (both IV and DV) waiting to be interviewed by the CO. As soon as I sat down (8.45 to be exact), I heard my name over the intercom. Some girl at the front of the queue jumped up and headed to the CO's window and so I thought I had imagined it. She then turned with a confused look and said out my name. Jumped up and headed to the CO's window.

CO: I'm going to ask you some questions but before I do that I will ask you to take an oath and swear that you will tell me the truth and that these documents are legitimate.
ME: I do.
CO: Sign here besides the X
Me: Signed
CO: Are you married?
ME: No.
CO: Any children?
Me: No
CO: I see you scored very highly on your KCSE, did you go college?
Me: Yes
Co: Where?
ME: Answer
Co: What did you study?
ME: Yes.
CO: (Surprised) Oh, so you're a practicing......
ME: Yes
CO: Who will you live with in the States?
ME: Answer
CO: How do you know her?
Me: My mum's friend
CO: Have you met her?
ME: No.
Co: Where does your mum live?
ME: Kenya (My mum had gone to visit the States last year September and my dad was there for campus so I'm sure they had their details in the system from my birth certificate)
Co: Come for your visa tomorrow at 2pm.
Me: Thanks.

Left the main building, grabbed a cup of tea to go (was running to work) and left the embassy. Was outside the gate at 8.52. That had to be the shortest interview ever. I guess she called me ahead of the others coz my case was pretty straightforward.

So my two cents worth on the experience:

1. Be cool, calm and collected. She was not even listening keenly to my answers. She just kept nodding and saying ok, ok. This made my interview take under 1 minute. Guess if your documents are legit, you'll be good to go.

2. You require very minimal documentation, forget AOS's and all. I had an invitation letter which never even left my sleeve. Nonetheless, circumstances may differ e.g. with kids, but at most all you need is an invitation letter. As long as you have a genuine KCSE certificate with at least D+ (unless you're qualifying on work experience), a valid PC and medicals, that's really it. I had carried my degree certificate and Masters transcripts which never even smelt the embassy air.

That guy (Imwi) who was asking about going for the interview with all sorts of letters saying he has done KCSE, don't bother. You MUST have the original with you, or else they'll tell you they will issue the visa when they see the original. They are REQUIRED by law to see it, and make a copy for their records.

3. Carry the embassy fees in Ksh. They have the best exchange rate ever!! Even asked the cashier if I could but some dollars from her, she laughed. :)

The only thing that annoyed me about the whole interview experience were the security people. There are like a million of them and they kept harassing me, on both days with lines like "Si uninulie chai" and "Ukipata si utanunua lunch" ad nauseum ad infinitum. I was really ticked off, I don't see what role they had for me to "nunua chai" and also where they are, really? How dare you solicit on the grounds of an embassy that prides itself on transparency?! I'm seriously thinking of complaining to the embassy about this, I have never heard anyone complain about this so I don't know if its unique to me, but can akina Magkin, Olyn and anyone else who has been to the Nairobi embassy, did this happen to you?

Overall, it was a great experience which I am happy is behind me. Now to pick up my visa today and make plans for the future. I'll keep you updated on the next steps. Can't wait to hear experiences from the outstanding people as they go through from getting the 2nd NL to visa issuance. I'll take the backbench for a lil' bit now and do some observing. I wish you all Godspeed, and I'm still watching the thread and anyone with questions, feel free to ask, other forumites and I shall answer.

Thanking God for His mercies and grace, I have seen His hand throughout this experience and I'll keep trusting in Him.

Njugunuts

Congrats! As we had prayed n hoped the outcome has come to pass. Thanks to the Almighty.Your journey and contribution has been enlighening. wish u well as u enter the next phase.all be well with u.

@Kamitich

Pass Congrats to the young man for making the quantum leap safely n wish him best of luck in his 'next' life

@Menjo

Can see the ball has started rolling. Wish u well in your preparations.

@Kamauz

What up with the silence? Hope all's well.

njugunut Iam so happy for you! At least a clear picture from our Nairobi embassy.
I know you are very busy, but do not disapear from thr forum, some of us are forgetful, we will keep on asking questions
on what happens there.
Its true ngugunuts, the security people at the Embassy are bossy and sturbon, but regular visitors there, knows their right.
They take advantage of some people.Never give them something, .
What next njugunut? we will talk sometimes.
Kamauz and the rest, take courage, you see, WHAT GOD CAN DO!

Hello guys...so i finally had my date with the CO on Tuesday..am afraid everything did not go smoothly as i had planned because i got the much dreaded yellow form..apparently my case is undergoing AP...hope everything turns out great..