• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2011 Photo Validator

viral2005

Hi all,

I have been trying to take the best pic possible for DV 2011 application.
I would greatly appreciate if you all can comment on the quality of my pic (if it is according to the requirements).

Thanks.

ttp://img42.imageshack.us/img42/5610/finalka.jpg[/url]

There is a photo validater. You can check your photo with that whether it is up to the required standard. If it is ok no problem. ANyway you can't upload an invalid format to the application

Hi,
I am also going to try out for DV 2011, I am not to sure how to go about getting a the photo taken. I have a digital camera (sony DSC S730) but cant figure out how to set the output file size.
Viral2005, I had a look at the photo you posted and it seems to fit the bill. Could you help me get started on taking a photo of my self?
The Dvlottrey website says "Digital enhancement or other alterations or retouching are not permitted. "
Does this mean we cant crop the photo to size?
Thanks in advance,
Kid

Hi all,

I have been trying to take the best pic possible for DV 2011 application.
I would greatly appreciate if you all can comment on the quality of my pic (if it is according to the requirements)

Looks good to me, viral2005. 600x600, good contrast and no shadows or glare.

Have you passed it through the Photo Validator? I've been trying the past couple of hours to do that with our photos and it seems to time out with an "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" message. Must be busy. I'll try another time.

Good luck with your application.

Suppose photo validater checks all these things. Since the e-dv lottery site says it checks all the requirements

I took our pictures with a Canon digital camera and then I cropped them and set the correct size using Photoshop. Then I used the photo validation to check that it was OK.

I tried the Photo Validator several times from my laptop and each time, it would time-out with an error message. Hmmmm. So I had one of those rare brain sparks :p and decided to try the Photo Validator on our other PC, using the same photos. It worked. And quickly.

I think it might be Internet Explorer version 8 that's the problem. Ever since I upgraded to it, I've hated it. Now, another good reason to get the crappy thing off my laptop. :mad:

Hello!! how do you guys resize it to 600X600? I resized it and uploaded it again, but it still said it must be 600x600? How come?? anyone can help me?? Thanks

Resize

Hello!! how do you guys resize it to 600X600? I resized it and uploaded it again, but it still said it must be 600x600? How come?? anyone can help me?? Thanks

Hi, you can easily resize a photo using MS Picture Manager (or any other photo editing software).

youtube.com/watch?v=bNSrbCi-hTw

I am getting error while doing photo validation:

On firefox 3.0.14:
Connection Interrupted

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection. Please try again.

On Windows Explorer 7.0.53:
Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:
You are not connected to the Internet.
The website is encountering problems.
There might be a typing error in the address.

What you can try:
Diagnose Connection Problems

More information

What is going on, is their server is overloaded by many request coming from all over the world?

I have been trying to photo validate the picture on Oct 1, 2,8,9, and 10. Same problem. I think their server is being overloaded. Can someone tell me is this the case for you too? What is the best time, in terms of GMT(Greenwich Mean Time) +/- whatever time zone?

I am trying this from Eastern Standard time 9AM and after 7PM but no luck. DV Lottery Server is resetting the connection.

I went to local library and tested all my pic. All passed with flying colors. Library is running Windows Vista and DV Photo Validator never had any problems. I never had to retry the photos. All photos were validated on the first try and very fast.

I think there is a problem or technical issue with Linux/firefox, Windows/firefox browsers and Windows/IE 7. These maybe not supported by their server or firewall on your computer is blocking it. Library computer with Vista worked fine. If you have had problem like me try a different computer.

DV Photo Validator sever is running very good, load on the server is not a problem. Server may get over loaded at the end of the dv program like in last week of November.

Hi,
Someone please help me, I've been trying to validate my picture on the photo validator on the dv lottery page but I get the stupid "Internet explorer cannot display this page" error every time. It's been three days and I cannot get to do it. I have also tried to submit my application several times, I only get to the first part of it when I hit the continue button I get the same "internet explorer cannot display this page" error. But it is not inmediately after, It takes a while until I finally get the error page. I have tried it on another pc but I get the exact same thing. Is anyone having the same problem? Is it because the server is too busy? Does it have to do with the antivirus?? Please help!!! I'm getting very frustrated with this.

Hi,
Someone please help me, I've been trying to validate my picture on the photo validator on the dv lottery page but I get the stupid "Internet explorer cannot display this page" error every time. It's been three days and I cannot get to do it. I have also tried to submit my application several times, I only get to the first part of it when I hit the continue button I get the same "internet explorer cannot display this page" error. But it is not inmediately after, It takes a while until I finally get the error page. I have tried it on another pc but I get the exact same thing. Is anyone having the same problem? Is it because the server is too busy? Does it have to do with the antivirus?? Please help!!! I'm getting very frustrated with this.

DV Lottery servers are running fine. Its your computer Windows XP and Internet Explorer or Antivirus problem. Try different computer in the library or school or work. I tried it on library Windows Vista. It worked like charm.

I asked a friend to do it from his computer at work and it worked perfectly. (At least the phot validation did) so I'm gonna try it from his computer tonight. He was using Firefox, I wonder if it has anything to do with it. I've tried it only with explorer from all computers.

I had a problem with photo validator too. After several attempts I restore Windows Firewall to Default and then disabled it. After that I had no problems validating photos. To restore firewall in Windows Xp go to control panel find Windows Firewall open it click on Advanced , Restore to Default, then click on General and choose Off. If you have antivirus or other firewall running temporary shut it down. Good Luck Everybody.

Last edited by a moderator:
You have to read from DV 2010 Instructions very well, the most important are the size and feature of your Image. I hope this helps.

YES You must not crop the image. The actual area size of the real image must be produced NO ALTERATIONS.. Secondly you should go to ALAGBON POLICE STATION for the required image, DONT GAMBLE with you DG Camera. I hope this helps.

"YES You must not crop the image. The actual area size of the real image must be produced NO ALTERATIONS"

Did you have any authority to back up that claim? If so, please enlighten us with a citation.

As far as I know, cropping is not considered "manipulation," as the term was used in the instruction. Cropping digitally deals with sizing, not any overlay touch up. I would also assume that it is allowed IF that does not result in distortion. Afterall, when things were still done by snail-mail, we all had to trim (or crop) actual pictures to the quirky square size.

Several online DV services, as well as the instruction from the NY Public Library specifically mentioned cropping as an option to get the square image.