• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV-2011 Lottery Winners From Ghana Meet Here

@ammeck09

It so sad that once u are denied visa, there is no way one can appeal. It means if a co does not like ur face, he or she can just deny u visa, just like dat. Too bad..

hi mmmoney,

your tomorrow interview ll be fine , just relax and tell the truth. I truly rely on you to share your interview experience because I ll be called at Montreal embassy somewhere in september so late due to my high CN.
please tell me where you took your medical exams ? wish you the best ,,good luck

He's already done it! Peace! Benniit

Pathetic Stories of Two DV Visa Applicants
The United States government through the State Department is exploiting poor people from developing countries by preying on their hopes and aspirations to immigrate to the United States. The US Consulates charges exorbitant fees to these poor people who have won the Diversity Visa (DV) Lottery and through deliberate means refuse to grant immigrant visas to them.

The Congressionally mandated Diversity Immigrant Visa Program makes available 50,000 diversity visas (DV) annually, drawn from random selection among all entries to persons who meet strict eligibility requirements from countries with low rates of immigration to the United States.[1] This is the catch, the lottery draws about 100,000 diversity visa winners under the assumption that not all winners will apply or qualify to immigrate to the Unites States. But what happens when more than 50,000 out of the 100,000 winners apply and qualify to immigrate to the United States? The law is clear that only 50,000 immigrant visa shall be issued. Therefore when the 50,000 number is achieved it’s obvious that the consulate will use very scrupulous means to refuse those winners the visas. This is what is happening to people in the developing countries.

Majority of people in the developing countries will also apply to immigrate to the United States when they win the DV Lottery. And the notion that many may not apply to immigrate after winning is one of the reasons why the US government draws 100,000 winners is simply misleading. By drawing 100,000 winners and issuing 50,000 immigrant visas, any applicants over the 50,000 number will simply pay money to the

United States government and never get the immigrant visas. The US Consulates in the developing countries will not inform these applicants the truth but rather find very irrelevant issues about the applicants and refuse them the immigrant visas.

Two case examples are presented below. In these two cases, the United States Consulate in Accra, Ghana is doing this to individuals who won the 2011 DV Lottery.

In one case, the individual after going through the entire visa application process was given a slip to pick her visa and her dependants (spouse and son) visas within two weeks. When the applicant returned to pick the visas, a question was asked to her dependant spouse if he has previously been married and has another child other than the child on this application. To which he answered no to both questions. The Consulate Officer informed them that they are launching an investigation to see if he has another child and that these investigations take considerable time according to the DV Lottery law, all Diversity Immigrant Visas must be issued by September 30th. So if the investigation is not concluded by this date the applicant and her dependants will not be issued the visas and that’s not the US Consulate’s fault. All this is about is to refuse them the visas by delaying their application process to the September 30th deadline. This applicant and her dependants have appeared before Consulate Officers on four separate occasions – the events are listed below:

1. April 14th - first appointment, submitted all requested documents and interview conducted by a Consulate Officer,
2. June 21st - applicant return to hear the results of a two month administrative results processing, which background checks, verification of applicant’s qualifications and documents submitted. Minor issue was found and applicant’s dependant spouse was asked to get a new passport),
3. July 14th - applicant and her dependants returned with the dependant spouse’s new passport. Officer accepted passports and birth certificates and gave the applicant a slip to pick their immigrant visas within three weeks, and
4. August 6th - applicant return to pick immigrant visas and their passports were return to them without the visas.

What transpired on August 6th: The Officer asked applicant’s husband if he was previously married and has another child. And the applicant’s husband answered no to both questions. According to the Officer, when the applicant’s husband was interviewed for a visitor’s visa in 2006, he was asked if he has a child and he said yes. The applicant’s husband informed the Officer that it must have been a misunderstanding in communication at the time because he has only one child who was born in 2008 and who is the child on the immigrant application. The applicant is the same wife who was indicated on his 2006 visitor’s visa application and in addition he never indicated on the application that he has a child in 2006. Clearly, there was misunderstanding in communication if in fact the Officer who conducted the interview in 2006 noted down that the interviewee mentioned he has a child.

All this issue with the Officer said he has another child and he said he does not have another child is missing the whole point. He is not the principal applicant and
this other child issue has nothing to do with the current immigrant visa. All the documents that were requested for the diversity immigrant visa were about the principal applicant and the only documents required for her dependants are birth certificates, marriage certificate, and passports. Secondly, this issue was never brought up when the applicant and her dependants appeared on April 14th, June 21st, and July 14th. The Consulate collected the applicant’s and her dependants’ documents on April 14th and over two months (June 21st) later when the applicant and her dependants appeared before an Officer the issue of another child was not brought up. Instead they were asked to get a new passport because his first and middle names in the passport were transposed. They were given three weeks to get the new passport and return to the Consulate. They did! And again the other child issue never came up.

The conclusion is every attempt is being made to delay their application process and push it far back so as not to meet the September 30th deadline. When the consulate cannot find a legitimate means to refuse a diversity immigrant visa this is the game they play. But they forget these are human beings and they take this seriously and spend their time, money, and resources to go through this process. In this case, the applicant and her dependants have spent their life savings to pay for all the application fees, documents, passports, and air tickets. The psychological and financial damage that is brought on these people and their families is enormous. The United States I know should not stand for these kinds of games.

In the second case, an individual applied for the 2011 DV Lottery in 2008 with her husband as her dependant on the application. She received the notification in 2009 that she has won. She completed the immigrant forms and returned them to the Kentucky Consulate that handles all the DV applications. At this time she was no longer married and as you will expect she submitted the immigrant application without a dependant spouse. She appeared in August 2010 before an Officer at the US Consulate in Accra, Ghana and her documents were accepted and interviewed. She was given a slip to pick her immigrant visa within three weeks. When she returned to pick it up she was asked if she is married and she replied no. The Officer informed her that in her 2008 DV Lottery application she indicated she is married. To which she said yes but she is no longer married. The Officer denied her the visa. The natural thing is to include your dependants on your application in order to come to the United States with them so if this individual was still married she would have more of an incentive to want to include her husband. The fact the she was denied an immigrant visa for indicating she is now single and not married as she indicated two years ago was a clear indication that the applicant is telling the truth. Her life is shuttered – both psychologically and financially. She will be rejected by her family that she let them down and her ex-husband will be making fun of her for divorcing him, which has now prevented her from immigrating to the United States to start a new life.

These are just two examples of what is going on at the United States Consulates around the world. The genuine plan by the United States government to bring 50,000 diverse immigrants from countries with low immigrant populations in the United States is a noble mission and one that has the power to strength the diversity of the United States. Unlike any other country in the world, the United States is stronger and prosperous because of immigrants. It’s therefore sad and despicable that the United States will engage in destroying the hopes and aspirations of poor people around the globe who have a genuine desire to live the American Dream. By all means do not grant immigrant visas to people who are not qualified and did not meet the diversity immigrant visa requirement and certainly do not allow those who pose a threat to the United States to come here but please do not refuse people and their families immigrant visas because they said they do not have another child or are no longer married.

Re: Case #: 2010-AF000xxxxx

Principal Applicant: name removed to conceal identity), dependants: husband and son

The applicant and her dependants appeared before an Officer April 14, 2010 and were to reappear June 21, 2010 with the note indicating: “Awaiting results of administrative processing.”[2]

On June 21, 2010, they appeared before an Officer who noticed an error in dependant husband’s passport - first and middle names were transposed in the passport. The office asked them to get a new passport to fix the problem and return to the Consulate July 14, 2010.

On July 14, 2010, their passports and birth certificates were accepted and they were given a visa collection slip to pick up their immigrant visas August 6, 2010. With this good news, applicants started making travel arrangements and bought travel tickets.

On August 6, 2010, their passports were returned to them without the immigrant visas in them. The Officer asked if the dependant husband was previously married and has another child. To which he answered no to both. Officer said dependant husband had mentioned that he has a child when he was interviewed in 2006 for a visitor’s visa; to which he informed the Officer that it may have been communication misunderstanding at the time because his only child is the one on this immigrant visa application who was born 2008.

The Officer said they are going to launch an investigation and call the applicant when the investigation is done. The Officer further informed them that these investigations take time and if it’s not completed by September 30, 2010 then it’s not his fault that they will not get the visas.

We’re very sad at the turn of events because the applicant’s husband does not have another child and if he has another child he will gladly indicate it because won’t he want to bring that child to America in the future?

They have been waiting since August 6th and the September 30th deadline is fast approaching. There is no avenue for them to present evidence that they have to prove their telling the truth. The dependant husband can prove from his employer that he was a single person on all his benefits prior to 2006 when he added his wife (the principal applicant) to his benefits (health insurance) and it wasn’t until 2008 when he added a child to his benefits. If the he has another child in 2006, why didn’t he add him/her to his benefits?

I can assure you that the only child is the one on the diversity visa application. The applicant and her husband have been together long before his 2006 visitor’s visa interview. Furthermore, one can always immigrate without his or her child. There is no aspect of the immigration law that requires that you have to immigrate with your child.

These are some of the news that we don't often hear them but I hope no such problem will happen to any of the rest of the forumers who are yet to have their interviews. I am sure there are more untold stories about Ghanaians with similar fate.

The story is pathetic and hair-raising. God will never let us down. We are His children! God, please hear our supplications. We cast our anxieties on you. Let Your favor be upon us. Peace! Benniit

My dear people, does anyone know or have an ideal abt what the embassy looks out for in the physical examination of the medicals? I'm asking dis bcos i wanted to pick my medical report 2day, but the official at d clinic told me dat bcos i've given birth, i need 2 do d physical examination again. But i took dis physical exam, xray and ultra sound scan, the last time i visited the clinic. So why r dey asking me 2 do the same physical exam again At extrat cost? Infact i'm worried. Please what do u say?

hi folks,
everything went great!...no adminstration process thingy (at least from what she said)...visa and other necessary docs should be mailed to my place via dhl in a week (btw they pay for dhl service)...all u need to do is keep tracking it with the number they give u after registration.....will post the interview experience soon...nothing intriguing tho ( prolly becos i knew more from this forum)...

hi folks,
everything went great!...no adminstration process thingy (at least from what she said)...visa and other necessary docs should be mailed to my place via dhl in a week (btw they pay for dhl service)...all u need to do is keep tracking it with the number they give u after registration.....will post the interview experience soon...nothing intriguing tho ( prolly becos i knew more from this forum)...

Congrats! Can't wait for it. Peace! Bennit

hello, i entered the dv 2012 as married..if i am selected can i do the processing alone without my wife and baby?

its like this, i have been refused F1 visa 3 times in accra...am scared if i do go ahead to pay the dv fees for the 3 of us if i win, and maybe get refused, i will loose a lot of money..

if i do it alone it means i will loose just a single fee if refused.

what do u guys think?
help please

hi folks,

hi mmmoney,

congratulation. I truly rely on you to share your interview experience because I ll be called at Montreal embassy somewhere in september so late due to my high CN.
please tell me where you took your medical exams ? wish you the best ,,good luck

hello, i entered the dv 2012 as married..if i am selected can i do the processing alone without my wife and baby?

its like this, i have been refused F1 visa 3 times in accra...am scared if i do go ahead to pay the dv fees for the 3 of us if i win, and maybe get refused, i will loose a lot of money..

what do u guys think?
help please

If none of the 3 refusals are due to 'false/forged' documents, then I don't see why you should be afraid. It will even be more complicated if you added your family in the initial entry and decides not to include them in the visa application.

what do u guys think?
help please

And if you win, you win alone leaving your wife and baby with no hope of joining you in the states for the next 5yrs or so.

Hi Forumites,

I am from the Kenyan thread and need some advice. I have been thinking for a time now of something but i don't know how applicable it can be. I was thinking that after we have gotten our visas (i have so much faith we will have them), I leave for the states alone immediately and try organize myself before my hubby and son can come. The problem is that in DS230 where it states you give the names of those who will follow you at later date in the US i filled N/A since my plan then was we leave all of us together. Anyone with ideas? I am thinking that if it can be possible, it could spare me the problem of having our host bear the burden of us all since in five-six months i may have gotten a job and may be a place of my own.

My dear people, does anyone know or have an ideal abt what the embassy looks out for in the physical examination of the medicals? I'm asking dis bcos i wanted to pick my medical report 2day, but the official at d clinic told me dat bcos i've given birth, i need 2 do d physical examination again. But i took dis physical exam, xray and ultra sound scan, the last time i visited the clinic. So why r dey asking me 2 do the same physical exam again At extrat cost? Infact i'm worried. Please what do u say?

You have to thread cautiously because of the technicalities involved.
1. If you are pregnant many of the examinations are waved.
2. You cannot use a medical report which was issued over 6 months ago.
3. Your medical report should not be more than 6 months old from the date of issue to your departure date to the US.
4. If you're pregnant and had your medical examination long before attending your visa interview and delivered before receiving your medical report - there could be some conplications here. After delivery you are capable of facing the whole physical exams, so the doctors can ask you to complete those they waved - but if you had this medical exams for such a long time that they deemed will warrant a new examination, they can ask you for a complete physical examination.

The doctors have the final say about the medical report, so you have to be careful and handle it well.

hi folks,

Congrats, you have made it! Let's give prasies to the most high God.

Hi Forumites,

I am from the Kenyan thread and need some advice. I have been thinking for a time now of something but i don't know how applicable it can be. I was thinking that after we have gotten our visas (i have so much faith we will have them), I leave for the states alone immediately and try organize myself before my hubby and son can come. The problem is that in DS230 where it states you give the names of those who will follow you at later date in the US i filled N/A since my plan then was we leave all of us together. Anyone with ideas? I am thinking that if it can be possible, it could spare me the problem of having our host bear the burden of us all since in five-six months i may have gotten a job and may be a place of my own.

Once the visas are issued, either the principal applicant can first activate his/her GC or the whole family can move together. The mere fact you stated N/A on the DS-230 forms does not change this rule.

Media Alert - U.S. Diversity Visa Lottery Program

We wish to alert the public of recent scams and fraudulent claims regarding the U.S. Diversity Visa lottery program. In these scams, individuals or companies are sending congratulatory messages via email that ask the recipient to pay various fees through the Western Union Money Transfer for a permanent U.S. resident permit or green card. These messages are false.

The best way to avoid falling victim to scams related to the Diversity Visa Lottery is to understand how the results of the lottery are released:

Starting on May 1, 2011 through June 30, 2012, all entrants can check the status of their entry through the Entry Status Check on the E-DV website www.dvlottery.state.gov.
Entry Status Check is the ONLY means by which lottery winners/selectees will be notified of their selection for DV-2012.
Entry Status Check provides successful selectees with instructions on how to proceed with the visa application, and notifies candidates of immigrant visa interview appointments.
Selectees are no longer notified of their selection by land mail, and are not notified via email.
The "Selection of Applicants" section of the DV Instructions online provides information about the DV time frame and process.
Additional information about the DV program can be found at the US Department of State's website: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types.

Press Attaché, US Embassy Accra
Tel (03)02-741-150 Fax (03)02-741-692
Email pressaccra@state.gov
Webhttp://ghana.usembassy.gov/

http://ghana.usembassy.gov/usdvlottery.html

As promised here is my interview account:
I had an 8am appointment at the Montreal embassy in Canada. I live in Edmonton (Alberta) quite far from Montreal so had to come in a week earlier to ensure my medicals will be completed on time. Did my medicals at Medisys (downtown) Montreal. They had a 48-72hrs turnover period. Did the medicals on Thursday and had my results the following week Wednesday. I was a bit nervous I would not get the medicals on time. I'd advise you budget more than a week ahead of your medicals. This might help to alleviate your fears. After getting the medicals I went to the embassy the following day. No bags are allowed in the embassy. The embassy is located downtown and quite easy to locate if you ask the Medisys guyz. On thursday the D-day, I left home (my cousin's place in montreal) at 5am as the weather was quite terrible the day before so had to budget a lot of time in advance in case of any unfortunate situation on the way (like the car getting stuck in snow). Ps: Before you go click on this website (usvisa-info.com/en-CA/selfservice /ss_country_ welcome) and click on the guy with the laptop and follow the instructions and register for the DHL service. It's a requirement for effective and speedy processing of your visa (they check at the embassy). Bags are not allowed at the embassy so you should try and find a place to lodge your bag. There is a coffee shop across the street which charges 5 dollars to safe keep your bag. Also if you can change the US dollars at your local bank that might help too cos I realised the embassy's rate was a bit on the high side ( but yeah not so high)...So after checking us through they first do the finger prints, then they call you back to receive your documents, then later invite you for the interview. The interview was quite conversational:

co: how your doing?
me: great yourself?
co:do your swear...blah
me:absolutely I do
co:put ur thumb there...and click
co:nice thumb
me:what did you say?
co:said nice thumb
me:eek:h thanks...haha
co:I need to pull up your case
me: oh cool
co: So you single?
me: Yes very single
co: You have any criminal convictions, arrests
me: Naa...I'm sure if I did my police reports will indicate so...but yeah nothing of that sort
co: You speak German
me: Naa...my uni was english uni
co: when you done your program here
me: hopefully May but my supervisor is Egyptian so might take some extra time due to the unrest in Egypt which I am willing to wait
co: Oh i see you have 2 years extra on your US visa...Have you been living there
me:Naa..Just been there for 2 weeks...went for a wedding which I was the best man
co: Where did you live in the states
me: Hartford connecticut
co: So I don't see anything wrong with the case, did you register for the DHL service
me: yeah
co: You should receive your passport with visa and other documents in a week's time at the DHL office your registered
me:tnx

Then she hands me a letter with welcome to the united states of america and how to track your DHL parcel at the back
As I said interview was conversational ....no academic questions.....Ok guy thanks for all your help...deeply appreciated ...took away tons of nervousness which characterize this whole process...I will stick around to help other who will be having their interviews in montreal should they need my assistance....
Will let you know when my parcel is in...

I had an 8am appointment at the Montreal embassy in Canada. I live in Edmonton (Alberta) quite far from Montreal so had to come in a week earlier to ensure my medicals will be completed on time. Did my medicals at Medisys (downtown) Montreal. They had a 48-72hrs turnover period. Did the medicals on Thursday and had my results the following week Wednesday. I was a bit nervous I would not get the medicals on time. I'd advise you budget more than a week ahead of your medicals. This might help to alleviate your fears. After getting the medicals I went to the embassy the following day. No bags are allowed in the embassy. The embassy is located downtown and quite easy to locate if you ask the Medisys guyz. On thursday the D-day, I left home (my cousin's place in montreal) at 5am as the weather was quite terrible the day before so had to budget a lot of time in advance in case of any unfortunate situation on the way (like the car getting stuck in snow). Ps: Before you go click on this website (usvisa-info.com/en-CA/selfservice /ss_country_ welcome) and click on the guy with the laptop and follow the instructions and register for the DHL service. It's a requirement for effective and speedy processing of your visa (they check at the embassy). Bags are not allowed at the embassy so you should try and find a place to lodge your bag. There is a coffee shop across the street which charges 5 dollars to safe keep your bag. Also if you can change the US dollars at your local bank that might help too cos I realised the embassy's rate was a bit on the high side ( but yeah not so high)...So after checking us through they first do the finger prints, then they call you back to receive your documents, then later invite you for the interview. The interview was quite conversational:

me: Naa...I'm sure if I did my police reports will indicate so...but yeah nothing of that sort
me: hopefully May but my supervisor is Egyptian so might take some extra time due to the unrest in Egypt which I am willing to wait
co: Oh i see you have 2 years extra on your US visa...Have you been living there
me:Naa..Just been there for 2 weeks...went for a wedding which I was the best man
co: So I don't see anything wrong with the case, did you register for the DHL service
co: You should receive your passport with visa and other documents in a week's time at the DHL office your registered

Then she hands me a letter with welcome to the united states of america and how to track your DHL parcel at the back
As I said interview was conversational ....no academic questions.....Ok guy thanks for all your help...deeply appreciated ...took away tons of nervousness which characterize this whole process...I will stick around to help other who will be having their interviews in montreal should they need my assistance....

FANTASTIC!!!!!
What a relief :)

Congrats once again and let us know when the parcel is delivered.

Glory be the God Almighty for such an experience, we pray He sees you through in your preparation for the dream come through journey. all the best bro.

I sent an email to KCC to inquire about the the status of my case and got a reply today saying:
Thank you for your inquiry.
Your forms have been received and are
acceptable for the continuation of your visa processing. KCC is currently scheduling visa numbers for your region for the month of April below 35,450. If your case number is current and has completed processing, KCC will send a notification letter to you via postal mail. Please refer to the visa bulletin at www.travel.state.govto locate the current numbers being processed.