• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV-2011 Lottery Winners From Ghana Meet Here

I know that it might help or make some people feel more secure about their interview so I decided to post my whole journey for the next DV winners from France (and other countries as well since it might me similar)

*I applied at the DV lottery 2011 on november 2009. I was in London, UK but I put my parent's address in France (Guadeloupe) to make sure the letter dont get lost in case I would win. It's quite easy to fill the form on the government website, http://www.dvlottery.state.gov/
the most difficult was the photograph, so I went to a photography shop to get a digital one.

* On July 2010, I went online to verify if I won or not (with no hope of winning)
and I saw this:
"Dear Selectee,

Based on the information and confirmation number provided, you should have received a letter by mail from the United States Department of State’s Kentucky Consular Center (KCC) notifying you that your Diversity Visa entry was selected in the DV-2011 lottery.

If you have not yet received your selectee letter, please do not contact KCC until after August 1, 2010. International mail delivery delays of one month or more are normal. KCC will not respond to questions they receive before August 1, 2010 regarding non-receipt of selectee letters. If you still have not received your selectee letter by August 1, 2010, however, you may contact KCC by email at kccdv@state.gov."

I called my parents and they told me that indeed, they had receive the letter since April 2010!! But they didn't think it was important. They scanned the letter and also send them by mail to y address in London.

*On the letter they are saying to go on
http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/visa_4756.html
for the instructions, which I did. I filled all the required form and sent them back to the KCC center in the US. I sent them an email to make sure they received my documents 2 weeks later, They received all my forms by mid-july 2010.

*My case number (CN) was really low (9***) and by august I knew from the VISA BULLETIN that my number would be current in October 2010 (means that I would have my interview during the month of october)

*I sent an email to the KCC around mid september to find out if my interview was already programmed, But the KCC told me that since I had sent my forms a bit late, they were still processing. I had to wait a couple of weeks more.

*Finally after 5-6 emails sent to the KCC between august and November 2010, my forms were finally processed and they gave me my interview date at the US embassy in Paris (20th January 2011)

*All my documents were already prepared : Passport valid for at least 6 months – Birth certificate – High school diploma – Bank statements/Employment contract – 819$US to be paid the day of the interview – One photograh 5x5 – Extrait de casier judiciaire (police record) from France, Canada, and the UK (I have been living in those 3 countries for more than a year each)

*On the 19th of January 2011, I went to Dr Slattery in Paris for my medical examination. (170 euro) – I had a check up, Blood test, radio, and 2 vaccination shots. I went there at 10am and at 11h30 am it was all done. I just had to go back to the clinic at 5pm to collect the sealed envelope with all the results (the Dr Slattery told me that everything was fine)

*I had my interview on the 20th of January 2011 at 1pm.
- I didn’t know the area so I went there earlier, at the metro Concorde. The US Embassy, is easy to find since there is so many police cars around (gendarmerie francaise) There is two entrance, you have to take the consulate entrance (the police at the door and around will ask you why are you here and will direct you.
Before you can get at the door, you will see 2 police officers (or security guards) asking you for your ID and your appointment letter. Then they will look for your name on a list and they let you go in. After that you go at the door and then, they ask you if you have any electronic devices with you. In my case I didn’t have any ( I didn t know they could keep it for you) So if you have your phone with you they will keep it and give you a number on a badge to be able to collect it afterwards.
You go through the metal detection machine (you can keep your coat on), then you take back your bag and go through the next door.

- It’s a large room, there’s some soda machines, and even a chronopost envelope machine (in case you forgot yours), they also have a photomaton.
First thing to do when you get there… take your ticket for IMMIGRANT VISA (IV)
You will probably have a number starting with A***
Only 3 people were there for a IV, and I was the only one for the DV visa.
The waiting room was already with people for non immigrant visa (their numbers are starting with B***) In the room( a square room) you had the chairs in the middle to sit down and wait, and all around many windows ( around 20 different windows) with people inside (there is a glass separating from the waiting room and all the conversation will be made through a microphone)
I sat down, and after maybe 10 min they called my number on the screen at the window 11. The guy there was really nice. He asked me my appointment letter and my passport. Then he gave me a piece of paper to sign, then gave me an other paper and told me to go the window 20 to pay the fees of 819$US – I went to the window 20 and paid the fees by credit card.
- Then I went back on my sit and waited for my number to be called. 15 min later, the guy called me back at window 11. He asked me for all the documents: 1) birth certificate original – 2) Police records originals – 3) Proof of education (I gave him my university diploma and my high school diploma) – 4) Proof of personal financial net worth (I gave my bank statements + last 3 paychecks + employment contract + Tax sheet from last year)----On my bank statements I had around 5 000 euros---- 5) Medical examination results (sealed envelope) – 6) 1 Photo 5x5 - 7) Chronopost envelope – domestic France 2kg (You should write down your address on it before you get there)
After giving all the documents, the guy at the window asked me to put my fingers on the machine to take my fingerprints (of all the fingers)
He told me to go back on my seat and wait again for my number, that I will have an interview with the consul.

I went back on my seat, and waited for 15-20 min. Then they called my number at window 10. The consul (a lady) was really nice. She said “hi” and asked me right away to put my finger on the machine to make sure it was me. She made me sign the forms I previously sent to the KCC back in July 2010, then she started:

The consul: “Why do you want to go live in the US?”
Me: “Because my boyfriend lives there”
The consul: “Is he American?”
Me: Yes
The consul: (she was smiling) “Oh so this is why you applied for the lottery… I see”
Me: Yes, It was a very good surprise
The consul: “What did you studied in Canada?”
Me: --- I told her what I was studying..
The consul: “everything look fine, but the only problem is your high school diploma (Baccalaureat francais) that look a bit different from the other one, is it a copy?
Me: Yes it’s a copy but I have the original transcript with it. I think my parents kept the original diploma but Im not sure.
The consul: “ok it’s not a problem, if you can send us the original diploma, or a letter from the Education department (une attestation du Ministere de l education nationale), we will send you back your passport with your visa packet by chronopost. “

She gave me a special letter with all the details, and how to send back the diploma. She kept all my other original documents.

As you can see the actual “interview” just took 2 minutes.
I left the embassy a bit stressed, and I called my parents right away. They finally found my original diploma and sent it by mail. I sent back the diploma on the 24th January 2011. On the 26th January 2011 I sent an email to the US embassy in Paris to ask if they received it, they reply the next day to confirm reception, they also told me that my file was complete now, and that I should receive the packet at the en of this week (after being reviewed by the consul)

I hope this will help some of you who are looking for answers. I remember how it was difficult for me to find relevant information to understand the process. Also, there is not too many winners from France, which make it more difficult for us.
Personally I found help and support on 3 different forums and groups:

http://forums.immigration.com/forumdisplay.php?38-Lottery-Visas-DV
http://www.franceservice.com/forum/index.php
http://www.jerome-usa.com/forum/green-card-carte-verte-loterie-dv-program-c2.php

But the most important was to contact directly the US embassy in Paris when I had questions that nobody else could answer. (Best option)
You can send them an email at : ParisConIV@state.gov

This is sista_mia's interview experience.

HELLO HOUSE!!! I want to thank you all for your support and your help in this looooong journey!
I finally received the visa packet with my passport today (and Im already back to london...)

I know that most of us here believe in God... but some dont. I know for sure that I got all of this as a blessing, not because I believe in God, but because it's in God's plan... God is not only sending blessings for believers, but also to non-believers, sometimes to fulfill his plans.
I personally believe in God, and I hope I will be able to go on with the plan he has for me,

so dont forget: FAITH, ACTION, PATIENCE, PERSEVERANCE

Again thank you all

HELLO HOUSE!!! I want to thank you all for your support and your help in this looooong journey!
I finally received the visa packet with my passport today (and Im already back to london...)

I know that most of us here believe in God... but some dont. I know for sure that I got all of this as a blessing, not because I believe in God, but because it's in God's plan... God is not only sending blessings for believers, but also to non-believers, sometimes to fulfill his plans.
I personally believe in God, and I hope I will be able to go on with the plan he has for me,

Again thank you all

Thank God for finally receiving your visa. We thank & honor the Creator. May He endure forever? My sister, may your plans go on well. Peace! Benniit

Last edited by a moderator:

Again thank you all

Congrats for receiving you passport with the visa. Hope God will open the way for you to succeed in the US.

I successfully picked up my visa yesterdayday. I shd begin prep immediately. I wish those going 4 their interview dis month & those still waiting 4 their interview date success. It shall be wel wit u al

I successfully picked up my visa yesterdayday. I shd begin prep immediately. I wish those going 4 their interview dis month & those still waiting 4 their interview date success. It shall be wel wit u al

Amenooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!! Peace! Benniit

I wanna say a big thank u to everyone in the house, popescandy1, nyarkoh24, benniit, Ovicity, temmm2010, WIZYFBABY,akwasi_yankee, ammeck09 and every other person i cant mention their names, may God bless u all. And for those goinj for their interview, i pray dat u ll al be successful.

shakkyt that was the least we could do as members of this forum, but then as benniit said all thanks goes to the Almighty Father for seeing you through the process.

congrats and glory be to God. we hope by His grace your preparations will go on smoothly and He will end up taking you to the promised land successfully. Amen to blessings you've spoken unto the rest of us. may the Lord be with you.

congrats and glory be to God. we hope by His grace your preparations will go on smoothly and He will end up taking you to the promised land successfully. Amen to blessings you've spoken unto the rest of us. may the Lord be with you.

Amen 2 ur prayers and thanks bro

hi folks,
my interview is tomm....just went for my medical results today...interview is in montreal...currently weather is terrible ...i will communicate any further development as I get the time...tnx for all the information you all placed at our disposal...truly beneficial irrespective of the outcomes of the interviews...

hi folks,
my interview is tomm....just went for my medical results today...interview is in montreal...currently weather is terrible ...i will communicate any further development as I get the time...tnx for all the information you all placed at our disposal...truly beneficial irrespective of the outcomes of the interviews...

There will be nothing apart from Victory.Shalom!!

@ Mmmoney

hi folks,

The Lord will grant you favour before the CO. Gudluck and God bless!

Pathetic Stories of Two DV Visa Applicants
The United States government through the State Department is exploiting poor people from developing countries by preying on their hopes and aspirations to immigrate to the United States. The US Consulates charges exorbitant fees to these poor people who have won the Diversity Visa (DV) Lottery and through deliberate means refuse to grant immigrant visas to them.

The Congressionally mandated Diversity Immigrant Visa Program makes available 50,000 diversity visas (DV) annually, drawn from random selection among all entries to persons who meet strict eligibility requirements from countries with low rates of immigration to the United States.[1] This is the catch, the lottery draws about 100,000 diversity visa winners under the assumption that not all winners will apply or qualify to immigrate to the Unites States. But what happens when more than 50,000 out of the 100,000 winners apply and qualify to immigrate to the United States? The law is clear that only 50,000 immigrant visa shall be issued. Therefore when the 50,000 number is achieved it’s obvious that the consulate will use very scrupulous means to refuse those winners the visas. This is what is happening to people in the developing countries.

Majority of people in the developing countries will also apply to immigrate to the United States when they win the DV Lottery. And the notion that many may not apply to immigrate after winning is one of the reasons why the US government draws 100,000 winners is simply misleading. By drawing 100,000 winners and issuing 50,000 immigrant visas, any applicants over the 50,000 number will simply pay money to the

United States government and never get the immigrant visas. The US Consulates in the developing countries will not inform these applicants the truth but rather find very irrelevant issues about the applicants and refuse them the immigrant visas.

Two case examples are presented below. In these two cases, the United States Consulate in Accra, Ghana is doing this to individuals who won the 2011 DV Lottery.

In one case, the individual after going through the entire visa application process was given a slip to pick her visa and her dependants (spouse and son) visas within two weeks. When the applicant returned to pick the visas, a question was asked to her dependant spouse if he has previously been married and has another child other than the child on this application. To which he answered no to both questions. The Consulate Officer informed them that they are launching an investigation to see if he has another child and that these investigations take considerable time according to the DV Lottery law, all Diversity Immigrant Visas must be issued by September 30th. So if the investigation is not concluded by this date the applicant and her dependants will not be issued the visas and that’s not the US Consulate’s fault. All this is about is to refuse them the visas by delaying their application process to the September 30th deadline. This applicant and her dependants have appeared before Consulate Officers on four separate occasions – the events are listed below:

1. April 14th - first appointment, submitted all requested documents and interview conducted by a Consulate Officer,
2. June 21st - applicant return to hear the results of a two month administrative results processing, which background checks, verification of applicant’s qualifications and documents submitted. Minor issue was found and applicant’s dependant spouse was asked to get a new passport),
3. July 14th - applicant and her dependants returned with the dependant spouse’s new passport. Officer accepted passports and birth certificates and gave the applicant a slip to pick their immigrant visas within three weeks, and
4. August 6th - applicant return to pick immigrant visas and their passports were return to them without the visas.

What transpired on August 6th: The Officer asked applicant’s husband if he was previously married and has another child. And the applicant’s husband answered no to both questions. According to the Officer, when the applicant’s husband was interviewed for a visitor’s visa in 2006, he was asked if he has a child and he said yes. The applicant’s husband informed the Officer that it must have been a misunderstanding in communication at the time because he has only one child who was born in 2008 and who is the child on the immigrant application. The applicant is the same wife who was indicated on his 2006 visitor’s visa application and in addition he never indicated on the application that he has a child in 2006. Clearly, there was misunderstanding in communication if in fact the Officer who conducted the interview in 2006 noted down that the interviewee mentioned he has a child.

All this issue with the Officer said he has another child and he said he does not have another child is missing the whole point. He is not the principal applicant and
this other child issue has nothing to do with the current immigrant visa. All the documents that were requested for the diversity immigrant visa were about the principal applicant and the only documents required for her dependants are birth certificates, marriage certificate, and passports. Secondly, this issue was never brought up when the applicant and her dependants appeared on April 14th, June 21st, and July 14th. The Consulate collected the applicant’s and her dependants’ documents on April 14th and over two months (June 21st) later when the applicant and her dependants appeared before an Officer the issue of another child was not brought up. Instead they were asked to get a new passport because his first and middle names in the passport were transposed. They were given three weeks to get the new passport and return to the Consulate. They did! And again the other child issue never came up.

The conclusion is every attempt is being made to delay their application process and push it far back so as not to meet the September 30th deadline. When the consulate cannot find a legitimate means to refuse a diversity immigrant visa this is the game they play. But they forget these are human beings and they take this seriously and spend their time, money, and resources to go through this process. In this case, the applicant and her dependants have spent their life savings to pay for all the application fees, documents, passports, and air tickets. The psychological and financial damage that is brought on these people and their families is enormous. The United States I know should not stand for these kinds of games.

In the second case, an individual applied for the 2011 DV Lottery in 2008 with her husband as her dependant on the application. She received the notification in 2009 that she has won. She completed the immigrant forms and returned them to the Kentucky Consulate that handles all the DV applications. At this time she was no longer married and as you will expect she submitted the immigrant application without a dependant spouse. She appeared in August 2010 before an Officer at the US Consulate in Accra, Ghana and her documents were accepted and interviewed. She was given a slip to pick her immigrant visa within three weeks. When she returned to pick it up she was asked if she is married and she replied no. The Officer informed her that in her 2008 DV Lottery application she indicated she is married. To which she said yes but she is no longer married. The Officer denied her the visa. The natural thing is to include your dependants on your application in order to come to the United States with them so if this individual was still married she would have more of an incentive to want to include her husband. The fact the she was denied an immigrant visa for indicating she is now single and not married as she indicated two years ago was a clear indication that the applicant is telling the truth. Her life is shuttered – both psychologically and financially. She will be rejected by her family that she let them down and her ex-husband will be making fun of her for divorcing him, which has now prevented her from immigrating to the United States to start a new life.

These are just two examples of what is going on at the United States Consulates around the world. The genuine plan by the United States government to bring 50,000 diverse immigrants from countries with low immigrant populations in the United States is a noble mission and one that has the power to strength the diversity of the United States. Unlike any other country in the world, the United States is stronger and prosperous because of immigrants. It’s therefore sad and despicable that the United States will engage in destroying the hopes and aspirations of poor people around the globe who have a genuine desire to live the American Dream. By all means do not grant immigrant visas to people who are not qualified and did not meet the diversity immigrant visa requirement and certainly do not allow those who pose a threat to the United States to come here but please do not refuse people and their families immigrant visas because they said they do not have another child or are no longer married.

Re: Case #: 2010-AF000xxxxx

Principal Applicant: name removed to conceal identity), dependants: husband and son

The applicant and her dependants appeared before an Officer April 14, 2010 and were to reappear June 21, 2010 with the note indicating: “Awaiting results of administrative processing.”[2]

On June 21, 2010, they appeared before an Officer who noticed an error in dependant husband’s passport - first and middle names were transposed in the passport. The office asked them to get a new passport to fix the problem and return to the Consulate July 14, 2010.

On July 14, 2010, their passports and birth certificates were accepted and they were given a visa collection slip to pick up their immigrant visas August 6, 2010. With this good news, applicants started making travel arrangements and bought travel tickets.

On August 6, 2010, their passports were returned to them without the immigrant visas in them. The Officer asked if the dependant husband was previously married and has another child. To which he answered no to both. Officer said dependant husband had mentioned that he has a child when he was interviewed in 2006 for a visitor’s visa; to which he informed the Officer that it may have been communication misunderstanding at the time because his only child is the one on this immigrant visa application who was born 2008.

The Officer said they are going to launch an investigation and call the applicant when the investigation is done. The Officer further informed them that these investigations take time and if it’s not completed by September 30, 2010 then it’s not his fault that they will not get the visas.

We’re very sad at the turn of events because the applicant’s husband does not have another child and if he has another child he will gladly indicate it because won’t he want to bring that child to America in the future?

They have been waiting since August 6th and the September 30th deadline is fast approaching. There is no avenue for them to present evidence that they have to prove their telling the truth. The dependant husband can prove from his employer that he was a single person on all his benefits prior to 2006 when he added his wife (the principal applicant) to his benefits (health insurance) and it wasn’t until 2008 when he added a child to his benefits. If the he has another child in 2006, why didn’t he add him/her to his benefits?

I can assure you that the only child is the one on the diversity visa application. The applicant and her husband have been together long before his 2006 visitor’s visa interview. Furthermore, one can always immigrate without his or her child. There is no aspect of the immigration law that requires that you have to immigrate with your child.

These are some of the news that we don't often hear them but I hope no such problem will happen to any of the rest of the forumers who are yet to have their interviews. I am sure there are more untold stories about Ghanaians with similar fate.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi folks,

Your victory is certain. Go there tomorrow to possess your visa, we are with you in prayers.

hi folks,

hi mmmoney,

your tomorrow interview ll be fine , just relax and tell the truth. I truly rely on you to share your interview experience because I ll be called at Montreal embassy somewhere in september so late due to my high CN.
please tell me where you took your medical exams ? wish you the best ,,good luck

hi folks,

all the best man. God has done it already, we're waiting for the interview experience and visa pickup date! cheers

hello, i entered the dv 2012 as married..if i am selected can i do the processing alone without my wife and baby?

its like this, i have been refused F1 visa 3 times in accra...am scared if i do go ahead to pay the dv fees for the 3 of us if i win, and maybe get refused, i will loose a lot of money..

if i do it alone it means i will loose just a single fee if refused.

what do u guys think?
help please

Pathetic Stories of Two DV Visa Applicants
The United States government through the State Department is exploiting poor people from developing countries by preying on their hopes and aspirations to immigrate to the United States. The US Consulates charges exorbitant fees to these poor people who have won the Diversity Visa (DV) Lottery and through deliberate means refuse to grant immigrant visas to them.

The Congressionally mandated Diversity Immigrant Visa Program makes available 50,000 diversity visas (DV) annually, drawn from random selection among all entries to persons who meet strict eligibility requirements from countries with low rates of immigration to the United States.[1] This is the catch, the lottery draws about 100,000 diversity visa winners under the assumption that not all winners will apply or qualify to immigrate to the Unites States. But what happens when more than 50,000 out of the 100,000 winners apply and qualify to immigrate to the United States? The law is clear that only 50,000 immigrant visa shall be issued. Therefore when the 50,000 number is achieved it’s obvious that the consulate will use very scrupulous means to refuse those winners the visas. This is what is happening to people in the developing countries.

Majority of people in the developing countries will also apply to immigrate to the United States when they win the DV Lottery. And the notion that many may not apply to immigrate after winning is one of the reasons why the US government draws 100,000 winners is simply misleading. By drawing 100,000 winners and issuing 50,000 immigrant visas, any applicants over the 50,000 number will simply pay money to the

United States government and never get the immigrant visas. The US Consulates in the developing countries will not inform these applicants the truth but rather find very irrelevant issues about the applicants and refuse them the immigrant visas.

Two case examples are presented below. In these two cases, the United States Consulate in Accra, Ghana is doing this to individuals who won the 2011 DV Lottery.

In one case, the individual after going through the entire visa application process was given a slip to pick her visa and her dependants (spouse and son) visas within two weeks. When the applicant returned to pick the visas, a question was asked to her dependant spouse if he has previously been married and has another child other than the child on this application. To which he answered no to both questions. The Consulate Officer informed them that they are launching an investigation to see if he has another child and that these investigations take considerable time according to the DV Lottery law, all Diversity Immigrant Visas must be issued by September 30th. So if the investigation is not concluded by this date the applicant and her dependants will not be issued the visas and that’s not the US Consulate’s fault. All this is about is to refuse them the visas by delaying their application process to the September 30th deadline. This applicant and her dependants have appeared before Consulate Officers on four separate occasions – the events are listed below:

1. April 14th - first appointment, submitted all requested documents and interview conducted by a Consulate Officer,
2. June 21st - applicant return to hear the results of a two month administrative results processing, which background checks, verification of applicant’s qualifications and documents submitted. Minor issue was found and applicant’s dependant spouse was asked to get a new passport),
3. July 14th - applicant and her dependants returned with the dependant spouse’s new passport. Officer accepted passports and birth certificates and gave the applicant a slip to pick their immigrant visas within three weeks, and
4. August 6th - applicant return to pick immigrant visas and their passports were return to them without the visas.

What transpired on August 6th: The Officer asked applicant’s husband if he was previously married and has another child. And the applicant’s husband answered no to both questions. According to the Officer, when the applicant’s husband was interviewed for a visitor’s visa in 2006, he was asked if he has a child and he said yes. The applicant’s husband informed the Officer that it must have been a misunderstanding in communication at the time because he has only one child who was born in 2008 and who is the child on the immigrant application. The applicant is the same wife who was indicated on his 2006 visitor’s visa application and in addition he never indicated on the application that he has a child in 2006. Clearly, there was misunderstanding in communication if in fact the Officer who conducted the interview in 2006 noted down that the interviewee mentioned he has a child.

All this issue with the Officer said he has another child and he said he does not have another child is missing the whole point. He is not the principal applicant and
this other child issue has nothing to do with the current immigrant visa. All the documents that were requested for the diversity immigrant visa were about the principal applicant and the only documents required for her dependants are birth certificates, marriage certificate, and passports. Secondly, this issue was never brought up when the applicant and her dependants appeared on April 14th, June 21st, and July 14th. The Consulate collected the applicant’s and her dependants’ documents on April 14th and over two months (June 21st) later when the applicant and her dependants appeared before an Officer the issue of another child was not brought up. Instead they were asked to get a new passport because his first and middle names in the passport were transposed. They were given three weeks to get the new passport and return to the Consulate. They did! And again the other child issue never came up.

The conclusion is every attempt is being made to delay their application process and push it far back so as not to meet the September 30th deadline. When the consulate cannot find a legitimate means to refuse a diversity immigrant visa this is the game they play. But they forget these are human beings and they take this seriously and spend their time, money, and resources to go through this process. In this case, the applicant and her dependants have spent their life savings to pay for all the application fees, documents, passports, and air tickets. The psychological and financial damage that is brought on these people and their families is enormous. The United States I know should not stand for these kinds of games.

In the second case, an individual applied for the 2011 DV Lottery in 2008 with her husband as her dependant on the application. She received the notification in 2009 that she has won. She completed the immigrant forms and returned them to the Kentucky Consulate that handles all the DV applications. At this time she was no longer married and as you will expect she submitted the immigrant application without a dependant spouse. She appeared in August 2010 before an Officer at the US Consulate in Accra, Ghana and her documents were accepted and interviewed. She was given a slip to pick her immigrant visa within three weeks. When she returned to pick it up she was asked if she is married and she replied no. The Officer informed her that in her 2008 DV Lottery application she indicated she is married. To which she said yes but she is no longer married. The Officer denied her the visa. The natural thing is to include your dependants on your application in order to come to the United States with them so if this individual was still married she would have more of an incentive to want to include her husband. The fact the she was denied an immigrant visa for indicating she is now single and not married as she indicated two years ago was a clear indication that the applicant is telling the truth. Her life is shuttered – both psychologically and financially. She will be rejected by her family that she let them down and her ex-husband will be making fun of her for divorcing him, which has now prevented her from immigrating to the United States to start a new life.

These are just two examples of what is going on at the United States Consulates around the world. The genuine plan by the United States government to bring 50,000 diverse immigrants from countries with low immigrant populations in the United States is a noble mission and one that has the power to strength the diversity of the United States. Unlike any other country in the world, the United States is stronger and prosperous because of immigrants. It’s therefore sad and despicable that the United States will engage in destroying the hopes and aspirations of poor people around the globe who have a genuine desire to live the American Dream. By all means do not grant immigrant visas to people who are not qualified and did not meet the diversity immigrant visa requirement and certainly do not allow those who pose a threat to the United States to come here but please do not refuse people and their families immigrant visas because they said they do not have another child or are no longer married.

Re: Case #: 2010-AF000xxxxx

Principal Applicant: name removed to conceal identity), dependants: husband and son

The applicant and her dependants appeared before an Officer April 14, 2010 and were to reappear June 21, 2010 with the note indicating: “Awaiting results of administrative processing.”[2]

On June 21, 2010, they appeared before an Officer who noticed an error in dependant husband’s passport - first and middle names were transposed in the passport. The office asked them to get a new passport to fix the problem and return to the Consulate July 14, 2010.

On July 14, 2010, their passports and birth certificates were accepted and they were given a visa collection slip to pick up their immigrant visas August 6, 2010. With this good news, applicants started making travel arrangements and bought travel tickets.

On August 6, 2010, their passports were returned to them without the immigrant visas in them. The Officer asked if the dependant husband was previously married and has another child. To which he answered no to both. Officer said dependant husband had mentioned that he has a child when he was interviewed in 2006 for a visitor’s visa; to which he informed the Officer that it may have been communication misunderstanding at the time because his only child is the one on this immigrant visa application who was born 2008.

The Officer said they are going to launch an investigation and call the applicant when the investigation is done. The Officer further informed them that these investigations take time and if it’s not completed by September 30, 2010 then it’s not his fault that they will not get the visas.

We’re very sad at the turn of events because the applicant’s husband does not have another child and if he has another child he will gladly indicate it because won’t he want to bring that child to America in the future?

They have been waiting since August 6th and the September 30th deadline is fast approaching. There is no avenue for them to present evidence that they have to prove their telling the truth. The dependant husband can prove from his employer that he was a single person on all his benefits prior to 2006 when he added his wife (the principal applicant) to his benefits (health insurance) and it wasn’t until 2008 when he added a child to his benefits. If the he has another child in 2006, why didn’t he add him/her to his benefits?

I can assure you that the only child is the one on the diversity visa application. The applicant and her husband have been together long before his 2006 visitor’s visa interview. Furthermore, one can always immigrate without his or her child. There is no aspect of the immigration law that requires that you have to immigrate with your child.

These are some of the news that we don't often hear them but I hope no such problem will happen to any of the rest of the forumers who are yet to have their interviews. I am sure there are more untold stories about Ghanaians with similar fate.

Thanks for sharing this info with us. I pray we all sail through successfully without any mishap. May God be our helper!